Home Health VNA (Merrimack Valley Hospice)

Home Health VNA (Merrimack Valley Hospice) Employee Reviews

Quality Vs Quantity
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MASeptember 18, 2017
Agency cares for it's patients and truly wants to provide good health care. However, they fall short due to mismanagement. There is a high turnover rate in both clinical staff and clinical supportive staff.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
staff shortages, high turnover rate, micromanagement
not the best environment.
Clinical Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 1, 2017
Very Stressful place to work. people come and go on a daily basis. I would not recommend anyone working here. We are given to many task with out having the proper tools to do our jobs.
Pros
Cons
low pay, not enough nursing staff
Perfect setting for those looking for flexibility! Great company to work for!
Physical therapist (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 17, 2017
I recommend home health for those looking for more flexibility. Home Health VNA is a great company to work for! I highly recommend this to those looking for wonderful people to work with.
Worked flexibility is great but pay wasn't
Hospice rncm (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 7, 2017
I was a salaried hospice nurse and the hourly compensation wasn't great but the management and work load was very doable. Lots of traveling which isn't unusual for any home care position.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pat
Great Company
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMarch 31, 2017
Needs a little bit more security. Schedules ae never he same and can not always going to have a reliable schedule. Benefits are great have a lot of resources for employees
Very caring company
Clinical Scheduler / Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 6, 2017
I was working for this company for about 10 years and I can honestly say that they care about there patients very much and always have them in there best interest. As for the treatment of there employees they can do better. the VNA is a non-profit company with a for-profit mentality. They have not always been this way until a few years ago when the CEO and VP retired and there replacements came in.
Pros
Caring company
Cons
for-profit mentality
Lawrence area
RN Case manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 29, 2015
Work independently, driving to pt's homes in geographical area. Collaborate with physician offices, coworkers. Managing visit frequency and scheduling of sn care.
June 30, 2016

Excellent description of what we do here! This is an opportunity to use your critical thinking skills in an independent environment with collaborative support

reputable agency
Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Newburyport, MAJuly 13, 2015
can ask you to travel very far, keep the agency under staffed for most of the time, no office time to complete paperwork, a lot of paperwork is done at home and not paid for
June 6, 2016

Home Health care by nature, varies in demand so at times when the referrals increase, the work load appears to be greater, but not because of understaffing. We are building a PD pool for these times, when the referrals are high. Thank you for your comments and feedback.

Great Company to work for
Visiting Nurse (Current Employee) –  PeabodySeptember 17, 2014
Typical day is from 9-5 seeing patients on a M-F basis.
I learned how to be independent and think on my feet. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the appreciation on my patient and family's face when discharged from the Agency.
June 6, 2016

Thank you! Let us know how we can support you best, this positive review shows your loyalty and commitment to our patients, thank you

June 30, 2016

Wonderful, and thank you for the comment. The Peabody team is well supported by a wonderful clinical manager and director. this description truly depicts a day in the life, please be sure to let HR know if there is anything we can support you with at any time.

a caring non-profit organization with loyal staff
Scheduling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MASeptember 12, 2014
A fast paced environment, constantly solving staffing issues as well as client concerns.

I learned alot about health care and how it is administered , mainly to an elderly population.

I worked with conscienceous people who stayed until the job was done,

The hardest part of the job was keeping all of the participants satisfied the workers, clients and Elder Services.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the thank-you from the clients and their families for dependability and understanding.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
having to cover week-end on call, limit on summer vacation time
It was a great work place where you are always learning.
PCA - Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 26, 2014
I enjoyed working for Home Health VNA because i love working with people and helping the elderly. They took good care of their employees making sure we were educated on body mechanics. The employers at Home Health VNA are very encouraging when it came to furthering your career.
A positive place to work. Office is always a friendly environment. Management very helpful
Telehealth Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MaNovember 26, 2013
Everyone was friendly, no office backbiting. Management would give us gift cards as thank yous. An inservice with a nice dinner was held every year during Nurses' Week. Education of staff was impressive and immediate with any new policies such as documentation with regard to reimbursement. I liked sitting with my co workers in the morning as we brainstormed together with regards to daily challenges. The hardest part of my job when I was doing visits was travelling during severe weather. I am proud to say I never missed a day of work based on weather. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the impact I had on my patients. As I was the one who saw them on their 1st day home from hospital or snf they were always so relieved when I "got their meds straightened out" and laid out the plan of care and confirmed everything with their doctor. I also liked the positive effects of education. When my patient would say, "I never knew that, I'm so glad you came today, I learned so much!!" Such a reward for any nurse. I would still be working for HHVNA but I had to be laid off due to ever tightening budget constraints. A pay cut would have been acceptable but it seems they want an LPN or tech in my position as Telemonitor Nurse for CHF and other high risk patients. HHVNA was the best job I ever had.
Good work and home life balance but very low pay for communities we go into
Visiting Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAOctober 3, 2013
Overall my experience wasn't too bad. My clinical Manager was fantastic in her role. However the schedulers often would overload our day with patients and when we would call and say we could not see that many, often times we were told "there isn't anyone else". Luckily my manager supported us but I am well aware not all did with their staff nurses. Some areas we went to were unsavory and had incidents occur. When the acting DON would find out, her answers were not appropriate for the situations that occurred. She was not a very understanding person in the least! I liked using my skills that I had learned in critical care for the more complex patients in the community such as IV's, CHF, Wounds and things of that nature. However, the pay is horrendous and the benefits are even worse! You have to bargain just to break a reasonable paycheck a week! Co workers were great as far as the multidisciplinary team I worked with. All were very knowledgeable.
Pros
Fits in with home life, great coworkers
Cons
overloaded schedule, poor understanding from DON, poor pay/benefits
Wonderful staff, high workload, poor management
Case Manager, Visiting Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MASeptember 9, 2013
Co-workers are wonderful people to work with, but management from direct supervisors up to Director of nursing can be very unrealistic or understanding about struggles associated with job, specifically when it comes to safety concerns staff may have for themselves or patients.I worked in a higher crime area and had several safety concerns for myself as well as several patients and was told specifically by a higher up in Management (not direct supervisor) "What did you expect, working in the area you work in?" Several staff members at this point had been, assaulted, their cars broken into or vandalized. This same person when addressing staff in a group setting in regards to safety concerns gave the impression to the staff as being very uncaring even when many staff members voiced concern, and offered very little insight on how to handle our concerns. Management is not always understanding of the heavy work load we all carried, specially pertaining to low income geographical areas that can be more demanding than others due to patients being no- English speaking, little or no education, lack of formal or informal support systems, non compliance etc. The company does not employ nearly enough interpreters to translate for staff, and staff is expected to rely heavily on interpreter phone line services which is very impersonal and difficult to use at times. If your patient does not have a phone and your cell service is spotty which can happen a lot in bigger multi-residence housing, and assisted living compounds then you are expected and forced to provide care without the proper  more... means of communicating which is both dangerous and unethical.  less
Pros
Staff is great, very knowledgeable and always willing to assist or help one another.
Cons
Heavy workload/patient loads, Management, and lack of interpreters.
Not For Me
Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 15, 2013
speechless.... antiquated ways, health insurance is very good but costs $60 a week for an individual plan (which is outrageous). company needs to get away from using HealthWyse and third party vendors.
Pros
health care benefits are nice...
Cons
benefits are EXPENSIVE, Management is...interesting.., I was refused xmas eve off to visit family in SC
The clients are priority
-Certified Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 9, 2013
We all are one....The hardest is working major Holidays and when a client leaves home to go into a long term facility and never returns home.
Pros
training
Cons
preasure
Home Health VNA
Patient Accounts Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAApril 15, 2013
Organized company- patients/families and employees are top priority!!
Enjoyed the busy-ness of my position
Order Tracking Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Lawrence, MAFebruary 18, 2013
I enjoyed working with this group of people. I felt at ease
with all the different personnel in the company, from the therapists, to administration. It was a very friendly place to work
Pros
as noted above- very nice folks to work with.
Cons
i cannot think of any, it was one of my favorite places to work
good company to work for..would have continued there if appropriate position available
rn case manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 2, 2012
excellent values, high expectations for staff..enjoyed working with management and staff...enjoyed patient contact
Pros
flexible schedule, autonomy
Cons
travel, weekends, nights, holidays...added work load/hours at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Health VNA (Merrimack Valley Hospice). Our community is ready to answer.

Home Health VNA (Merrimack Valley Hospice) Reviews by Location