HOME OF GUIDING HANDS Employee Reviews

Great stepping stone
Residential Service Technician (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJuly 3, 2017
If you are interested in becoming a nurse ( CNA, RN, LVN), this is a great company to start at. There are a lot of student nurses at this organization.
Pros
free meals
Cons
pay sucks
Appreciating everyday
RSS3 (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMay 31, 2017
I learned a lot from working with people who have disabilities,I learned patience,and that every one is created equal, and I learned that everyone deserves the opportunities in life.
Pros
The Benifit package was great!
Cons
hourly pay was not that good.
Best job I worked at
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Santee, CAApril 27, 2017
I loved working here especially helping out my clients it made me feel good and I like helping people and my manager was cool to it was a super good job and I would love to work there again.
Pros
Comfortable since we were in a house
Beneficial
Residental service technician (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAApril 26, 2017
I have been involved with Home of Guiding hands pretty much my whole life. I love the statement they live by. "we improve the lives of those we serve." This motto has not only been applied through the lives the do serve but to their staffs lives as well. HGH is all around amazing !
Good quality place to work
In Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Santee, CAFebruary 28, 2017
Solid place to work. Training provided was thorough and they helped obtain your CPR certification. Patient interaction was hands on and very rewarding.
Pros
In home patient care. Reliable hours. Good support
Cons
Short breaks. Can be challenging work.
Not a good place to work in most instances.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  San Diego County, CAOctober 10, 2016
For all practical purposes, incivility in the homes is unmonitored. Period. I witnessed pretty frequent rude communication to clients and to peers by home mgmt. and workers. Home mgmt. in my home was by person who was unskilled and unmotivated when it came to making workers and first level mgmt. obey the so called HGH rule of treating everyone one with respect. That communication rule is one of a few key rules not enforced.
Additionally, like most other similar agencies, HGH does not hire people who are smart and motivated enough to do the job in the home. Some exceptions to this rule. But beware, if you are bright and polite, you could find yourself very frustrated working as an entry level worker! I would certainly look elsewhere for a job. You will probably find their culture somewhat dysfunctional at important times and unless you are in a good role, lookout for rudeness.
Pros
some
Cons
incivility by some management and co-workers
Productive non-profit with vision
VP of Development (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CASeptember 16, 2016
Over the last 6 years this non-profit has grown from serving 300 to 1,900 people. The CEO is a great leader! I would recommend working in the Development Department.
Overall Great Place
Respite Worker (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAApril 18, 2016
My typical day work included meeting my client and clients family, and assessing if it would be a good fit both ways. I have learned so much about the different disabilities and working hands on with those who have disabilities.
Awesome
Respite Worker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 6, 2016
This company is the most awesome company to work for. The staff is more than wonderful, and they have matched me with the perfect family with the sweetest little girl.I go meet my client at her her , she calls me crayon, she does not need any help from me with entertaining unless she wants to. She can be very cuddly.
Pros
Getting more training in a field I want to expand on.
Cons
Not getting enough hours because the care they need is limlited
Love this company, It wasn't easy but management was very supportive.
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaliforniaSeptember 30, 2015
Job title was nurse consultant, what I did was manage nursing care for 25-30 residents who lived in the group homes. Most of the residents had some type of Intellectually Disability. Interface with doctors, regional case managers, families and day programs. Educate direct staff on medication administration and basic nursing care.
Pros
the company always acknowledge you whenever you exceed expectations. Holiday parties, nurses week, etc
Cons
On call almost 24 hrs a day/ 7 days a week
House Manager (Current Employee) –  Elcajon,CaSeptember 3, 2015
A typical day would to come in and review notes of how the residents did in the morning or the day before. See what is planned for the day and what needs to be done. Help our residents with their everyday routines as well as being in the community.
Pros
interaction with our residents
Cons
none that i can think of.
Caring and Supportive Enviorment
Resident Service Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 31, 2015
There are a variety of materials you will learn in this company you will lean to interact with individuals with intellectual disabilities and assist these residents to develop daily living skills. You will also learn how to redirect individuals when residents have behaviors.
Pros
Pto, sick time, insurance
Cons
working on weekends
Non-profit organization working with Developmentally disabled
Residential Service Technician/ Lead Staff (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJune 12, 2015
it was fun to work and help the developmentally disabled in their group homes. But there wasn't any real chance for growth or moving up.
Pros
benefits and free lunch sometimes
Cons
no real breaks and no chance of moving up in the company
Great co-workers and fun opportunities
Residential Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMay 21, 2015
I loved working at the Home of Guiding Hands. I had great co-workers and I loved the consumers I got to work with everyday. It was like a family. It being a group home made it feel like a second home. The consumers loved me as if I was their family, most of the time, that was the case. The opportunities to take the consumers to fun activities such as bowling and even Disneyland was a plus. The hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was coming into work everyday and my "family" coming to the door to give me a hug.
Pros
family like setting
Cons
6pm-2pm shift can be boring
I got through it
Residential Behavioral Technician/House Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2015
I loved the clients and the work that I did, but management were not supportive or knowledgeable about the field. They paid the employees scraps and treated them even worst, and then expected A class work.
Home of Guiding hands
Residential Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2013
Typical day at work: depending on the house im working at that day my job duties vary.
i come in, sign in, look therap(commuication device) see whats been going on.
also depending on whether the children are home or not. if they are home, im immidiatly hands on. i get them to do their daily tasks as i try to avoid behaviors. the children i work with are the hardest yet the most enjoyable part of my job. they are hard because these kids do not know how to deal with their behaviors, so when they lash out, and they have behaviors not only are they dangerous to themselves but they are also a danger to me as well, so my main thing day in and day out is to keep them calm and avoid behaviors.
My co workers are Amazing, we all know what to do, each individual at the start of their shift comes in knowing what to and when to it.
over all i like my job at Home of Guiding hands.
Pros
Home enviroment, loving children and amazing co-workers.
Cons
No healthcare. and the possiblity of getting hurt is very high.
The mentorship in this company is beyond excellent
Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, FLDecember 17, 2012
I had worked with great clients and very supportive co-workers in this job. The team work was excellent.
Great Company
Respite Care Worker Part-Time (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CADecember 14, 2012
I only worked very part-time as one of my 3-4 jobs that I was juggling at the time. My little bit of experience at HGH was enjoyable. The HR director did a good job of matching clients and needs and I still stay in contact with one of my favorite clients and her sister. I wish that I had either the certification, education, time, or the means to support myself so that I could have been able to have gotten more involved.
Good team player attitude, constant learning opportunities offered
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, CASeptember 20, 2012
For the most part, I enjoyed my job here. There was a steady flow of work available to keep busy when the office was quiet. Frequent visitors and staff checking mailboxes and using office equipment made for interruptions in work duties. The supervisors for which I did typing for were usually very appreciative of work finished early or on-time and were vocal in their grattitude. Office noise was generally moderate with residents walking through often companying staff members. Meetings were usually 1-2x a week. The location was nice in the rural area of Lakeside, which made the commute nice, as there wasn't any real traffic. Office staff were not typically recognized for employee of the month programs, generally only the direct care staff were considered. Directors were not in the office alot of the time, as their own responsibilities were directly supervising the staff in the housing units to ensure the residents' quality of life standards. Participating in the fundraisers was one of the perks of the job for me, as it was nice to be part of the team. I had alot of responsibilities for not much more than minimum wage.
Pros
good food at cafeteria, team players, good hours
Cons
no room for advancement in administrative offices, pay wasn't good
work
Residential Service Technician (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAAugust 22, 2012
awesome and rewarding to share life with such amazing people