HOME OF GUIDING HANDS Employee Reviews

Awesome
Respite Worker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 6, 2016
This company is the most awesome company to work for. The staff is more than wonderful, and they have matched me with the perfect family with the sweetest little girl.I go meet my client at her her , she calls me crayon, she does not need any help from me with entertaining unless she wants to. She can be very cuddly.
Pros
Getting more training in a field I want to expand on.
Cons
Not getting enough hours because the care they need is limlited
Productive non-profit with vision
VP of Development (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CASeptember 16, 2016
Over the last 6 years this non-profit has grown from serving 300 to 1,900 people. The CEO is a great leader! I would recommend working in the Development Department.
Overall Great Place
Respite Worker (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAApril 18, 2016
My typical day work included meeting my client and clients family, and assessing if it would be a good fit both ways. I have learned so much about the different disabilities and working hands on with those who have disabilities.
Love this company, It wasn't easy but management was very supportive.
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaliforniaSeptember 30, 2015
Job title was nurse consultant, what I did was manage nursing care for 25-30 residents who lived in the group homes. Most of the residents had some type of Intellectually Disability. Interface with doctors, regional case managers, families and day programs. Educate direct staff on medication administration and basic nursing care.
Pros
the company always acknowledge you whenever you exceed expectations. Holiday parties, nurses week, etc
Cons
On call almost 24 hrs a day/ 7 days a week
Caring and Supportive Enviorment
Resident Service Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 31, 2015
There are a variety of materials you will learn in this company you will lean to interact with individuals with intellectual disabilities and assist these residents to develop daily living skills. You will also learn how to redirect individuals when residents have behaviors.
Pros
PTO, sick time, insurance
Cons
working on weekends
House Manager (Current Employee) –  Elcajon,CaSeptember 3, 2015
A typical day would to come in and review notes of how the residents did in the morning or the day before. See what is planned for the day and what needs to be done. Help our residents with their everyday routines as well as being in the community.
Pros
interaction with our residents
Cons
none that i can think of.
Great co-workers and fun opportunities
Residential Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMay 21, 2015
I loved working at the Home of Guiding Hands. I had great co-workers and I loved the consumers I got to work with everyday. It was like a family. It being a group home made it feel like a second home. The consumers loved me as if I was their family, most of the time, that was the case. The opportunities to take the consumers to fun activities such as bowling and even Disneyland was a plus. The hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was coming into work everyday and my "family" coming to the door to give me a hug.
Pros
family like setting
Cons
6pm-2pm shift can be boring
I got through it
Residential Behavioral Technician/House Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2015
I loved the clients and the work that I did, but management were not supportive or knowledgeable about the field. They paid the employees scraps and treated them even worst, and then expected A class work.
Awful
Residential Service Tech (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMarch 20, 2012
HGH does not do what they claim. The health benefits are mediocre at best. They don't make it about the individuals with disabilities. There is no room to grow within the company. They don't pay nearly what you are worth, but expect you to cover shifts and work so much that you don't have a life. You never get any appreciation and the management acts as if they are better than the employees that work in the group homes.
Cons
health benefits, management, time off, low compensation, not appreciative
Great Company
Respite Care Worker Part-Time (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CADecember 14, 2012
I only worked very part-time as one of my 3-4 jobs that I was juggling at the time. My little bit of experience at HGH was enjoyable. The HR director did a good job of matching clients and needs and I still stay in contact with one of my favorite clients and her sister. I wish that I had either the certification, education, time, or the means to support myself so that I could have been able to have gotten more involved.
Great place to learn about mental disorders!
Residential service technician (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMay 21, 2012
A morning shift normally works like this. You wake clients up get them shower/shaved and dressed. You walk them to the front door when the bus gets to the house. You do all the errands and prep work for Afternoon/PM shift..

PM Shift: Clients come home from day program. You run their programs (washing hands, Money Management, Outings, etc.) Make dinner with help from clients that have that as their program. After dinner, showers, pajamas, leisure activities and Nightly programs. Bed time. Check on clients through out your shift. Clean up house for following shift.

*note: You are responsible for Medication Administration which HGH will provide train for.
Pros
hands on job, great co workers, managers are caring.
Cons
low pay, stressful at times.
help with the day to day living skills
Care worker for Disabled adults (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJune 9, 2012
The day would start with me making breakfast for the clients, following individual meal plan. Then assisting the client in grooming and cleaning of the rooms of the house. The rest of my day would be spent cleaning and fixing little things around the house of the residents. Some residents had jobs so getting them to work on time is something that was important, the other clients would be along for the ride or they would have the option to stay at the house with the other staff person, once back at the residents I would be responsible for making the clients lunches and preping dinner for the later staff. All shifts are documented by the staff log letting the next staff people know how the clients were for the day and if anything needs to be reported or watched for.
Pros
my staff and also some of the clients
Cons
not enough hours and no health care
I found it a worthwhile endeavor.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Santee, CAAugust 1, 2012
Each day was filled with dealings with teenagers who were mentally and physically challenged. I discovered that I really enjoyed teenagers as well as teaching them life skills. Their love and appreciation was contagious. It was then that I learned that I could learn as much from others as they could from me.

The management was not on site and therefore, naturally, had a more difficult time managing day to day employee interactions. However, they were timely and organized.

Some co-workers were difficult to work with as they wanted to 'climb the ladder' and were willing to push others down in the process. However, most people were wonderful to work with and not at all difficult.

The easiest part of the job, for me, was dealing with people. The most difficult aspect was learning how to deal with circumstances that were emotionally harmful to the teenagers.
Pros
health benefits.
Cons
pay was lower than i would have liked.
Home of Guiding hands
Residential Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2013
Typical day at work: depending on the house im working at that day my job duties vary.
i come in, sign in, look therap(commuication device) see whats been going on.
also depending on whether the children are home or not. if they are home, im immidiatly hands on. i get them to do their daily tasks as i try to avoid behaviors. the children i work with are the hardest yet the most enjoyable part of my job. they are hard because these kids do not know how to deal with their behaviors, so when they lash out, and they have behaviors not only are they dangerous to themselves but they are also a danger to me as well, so my main thing day in and day out is to keep them calm and avoid behaviors.
My co workers are Amazing, we all know what to do, each individual at the start of their shift comes in knowing what to and when to it.
over all i like my job at Home of Guiding hands.
Pros
home enviroment, loving children and amazing co-workers.
Cons
no healthcare. and the possiblity of getting hurt is very high.
Teamwork
Residential Service Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 7, 2012
In this type of environment you learn to work with your other staff in order to get the job done. Its a group home environment working with delayed teens. Working well with coworkers helps when behaviors do occur.
Great place to work for with awsome clients
Respite Worker (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJune 5, 2012
providing care for special need children.you learn patience. the most enjoyable part is knowing that your helping someone.
Pros
great for special need people who need services
Cons
there is none
The mentorship in this company is beyond excellent
Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, FLDecember 17, 2012
I had worked with great clients and very supportive co-workers in this job. The team work was excellent.
work
Residential Service Technician (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAAugust 22, 2012
awesome and rewarding to share life with such amazing people
ok
Residential Service Technician (RST) (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJune 13, 2012
ok co-worker ok work !!!!!!!!!!!!! people work ok together is a team
Pros
ok
Cons
ok
Good team player attitude, constant learning opportunities offered
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, CASeptember 20, 2012
For the most part, I enjoyed my job here. There was a steady flow of work available to keep busy when the office was quiet. Frequent visitors and staff checking mailboxes and using office equipment made for interruptions in work duties. The supervisors for which I did typing for were usually very appreciative of work finished early or on-time and were vocal in their grattitude. Office noise was generally moderate with residents walking through often companying staff members. Meetings were usually 1-2x a week. The location was nice in the rural area of Lakeside, which made the commute nice, as there wasn't any real traffic. Office staff were not typically recognized for employee of the month programs, generally only the direct care staff were considered. Directors were not in the office alot of the time, as their own responsibilities were directly supervising the staff in the housing units to ensure the residents' quality of life standards. Participating in the fundraisers was one of the perks of the job for me, as it was nice to be part of the team. I had alot of responsibilities for not much more than minimum wage.
Pros
good food at cafeteria, team players, good hours
Cons
no room for advancement in administrative offices, pay wasn't good

HOME OF GUIDING HANDS Reviews by Location