Homejoy Employee Reviews in United States

enjoy bworjking for company
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2016
I enjoy working for Homejoy, unfortunally the company went out of business, as far as management It was a headache every time we the cleaners wanted to contact customer service. work time was very flexible since it was self contract business.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits
Amazing Clientelle
Cleaning Professional (Current Employee) –  Arvada, COJune 3, 2016
I really liked the peace of cleaning - more often than not, the homeowners were not there...I could focus on taking pride in my work and truly enjoyed myself.
no longer around
Client Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 24, 2015
homejoy no longer exist. Was bought out by another company. 20 words is too much. There is no more to say. Homejoy was fun while it lasted.
Pros
pay
Cons
gone
best job ever
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 11, 2015
This was the best job I ever had.. I enjoyed the freedom of making my own schedule around school hours. I loved communicating with clients while I cleaned their home. loved this job!
well rounded
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2015
I can say that while with homejoy I met a lot of talented, friendly, encouraging individuals. While working I liked to get in and get out cleaning efficiently as possible. A regular day would consist of cleaning common areas dusting and vacuuming. For the most part the manager was almost always reachable and answered questions when she was able to do so. The hardest part for me would be a client canceling or not having any rememerance of an appointment and also a filthy place, it is my job to clean yes but to me it is a huge difference between messy needing a little work and or organization and complete filth to the point where I am not comfortable to clean. I just like helping others out the best way I can and I really do not mind cleaning at all.
Pros
MAKING A SCHEDULE THAT WORKS FOR ME
Cons
NO BREAK
Mixed Feelings
CLIENT ACCOUNT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 5, 2015
Good start, good idea. Execution, not the best. Poor management of finances and insufficient enforcement of standards.
No Job Security Along With Other Major Flaws
CSR (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 4, 2015
Homejoy seemed like a company that was too good to be true. Unlimited PTO and no attendance policy for almost a whole year in operation, things were bound to go south-- and eventually it did. The whole company is run by really young, inexperienced people who are trying their best but that's not good enough. Since an article was leaked about the company is in talks of getting acquired by a much larger company (Handybook), things have just gotten worse. I don't see the company lasting any longer.
Pros
Fully stocked kitchen, unlimited PTO, Full benefits
Cons
Poor management, No structure, No job security, Lack of communication
Fast paced, quick to change
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 2, 2015
Started in the San Francisco office, relocated to Sacramento, CA as Call Center Client Service Supervisor. Managed team of up to 10. Hire, train, coach new and existing teams. Constant change in policy and procedure to better the experience for clients.
Good culture- management can be better
support (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 24, 2015
As any startup, its risky and job security is never 100% Ive seen a high turn over, management makes incredibly stupid decisions and trust was given to some very unreliable people, but overall, I've had the opportunity to grow and learn skills that I would have to go back to school for. The culture (other than management who can be very *exclusive* ) is great, everyone gets along and there are some very hard working people with a passion to create work opportunities to the contractors.
Pros
Free lunch, dinner, benefits are great and 100% covered, commute stipend
Cons
no job security
It was fun
Client Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 21, 2015
Fun environment of coworkers, stressful workload. They offer great benefits (medical and dental) along with VSP vision. They also have a kitchen with free food stocked weekly.
Pros
Free coffee, supportfive management, great benefits and pay
Cons
Demanding workload for some coworkers which in turn caused embitterment
Not what it claims to be, communication with managers difficult
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 16, 2015
A typical day consists of street team duties; they send you out somewhere (usually a street corner as they have done little research on where their target demo is) and want you to try and get people to book appointments on the spot. They provide the entire team of BA's with two iPads and usually send two teams to two separate locations at the same time meaning only one iPad for a team of 4 BA's. This may not sound like a problem until you factor in that management expects you to book people on the spot. This of course means you must take their credit card info on the spot, usually on your own personal cell phone since you probably don't have the iPad. Customers can be very hesitant to let a complete stranger take down their credit card info into a personal cell phone.

This is not a Brand Ambassador job, this is a sales position.

During my interview, the manager spent more time picking my brain about possible locations than he did asking about my credentials. This should have been a red flag right away as to how completely unorganized the management here in LA is.
Pros
Manager avoided BA phone calls, we rarely had to talk to him
Cons
LA Field Marketing and Partnerships Specialist is very emotional
Bait and Switch
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 4, 2015
Promised a great culture with growth opportunities but the company is struggling financially and has poor retention. Tenured employees are overworked and underpaid while new upper management is being brought in from other companies but unable to make a positive change.
Pros
Unlimited PTO
Cons
Company wastes money so compensation is very low
Questionable Homejoy
Solution Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 28, 2015
Working at this company has been both rewarding and exciting. The initial culture when coming into the company was great, uplifting, positive and inspiring. However, being here for nearly 2 year, I've seen and experience a drastic culture shift that was very underwhelming unfortunately. The once happy and exciting culture that once existed is now a bland and sorrowing experience. The rewarding aspect of my time here was the startup nature of the company-being my the first startup experience and I genuinely fell in love with the fast-paced and passionate environment. Although the startup world can change unexpectedly, this company has definitely peeked my interest for the tech industry to say the least.
Pros
benefits, culture, experience
Cons
culture, management
Very advanced company with lots of work
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2015
This company is very advanced with lots of work but the downfall was no room for advancement. The flexible schedule was a plus but too much miscommunication with service center.
Independent Contractor position cleaning homes
Professional House Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 21, 2015
This company is great because you get to set your own hours and you don't have to do a lengthy training program. If you have >30 hours a week availability you start off with a higher pay. They provide the supplies to start you off, but after that everything is your responsibility. They don't do anything but hook you up with clients who need their home cleaned within your available work time. You are resbonsible for paying for everything and doing your own taxes. I only talked to the manager once and that was when he asked me where to send the startup kit.
Pros
Set your own hours, be your own boss in a sense, develop your own repeat clientele, don't need to dress nice for work
Cons
No benefits, have to pay for the cleaning supplies, have to provide own transportation to the job sights which are different every day
Amazing clients
House cleaner (Former Employee) –  CAApril 21, 2015
This job was great in theory but with no one at your back and no number to actually call when you needed help it became a nightmare.
Pros
nice clients
Cons
pay may seem great but you pay for everything on your own
Clean Houses
House Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 20, 2015
Helped people clean their houses so, that they were able to perform other duties that they needed to perform in their daily lives for them and their families.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Cleaning Toilets
productive and fun, but poor management
Client Services Rep (Former Employee) –  1792 Tribute roadMarch 21, 2015
The associates were all easy to work with, we all got the heavy workload finished together. The management however was really difficult. Lead supervisors would have a poor attitude and lacked communication. The distribution of work was given poorly and management would value the feedback of other management more, not the subordinates. They initially used to give us a review we would fill out for our management, which comforted me. Made me feel like they evaluated the satisfaction of their associates with a 360 degree appraisal system, but I was unfortunately wrong. Good pay, good benefits, alot of stress, difficult management to work with and politics is an issue.
Very productive workplace
San Jose District Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 16, 2015
Work your own hours and meet a lot of people. Learned on how to run your own company. You have to manage a lot of day to day, and manage a big city and crew.
Pros
great pay
Cons
no job security
Stay away
N A (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 27, 2015
They fired all their city managers, no communication. Clients cancel but cleaners are not informed. Clients can no longer pick their cleaner, so every appointment is random. They said they raised their prices to give the cleaners a raise but that is not true. Techs are now changing cleaner reviews. Discarding 5 star review and changing what I had said. Clients are not amused by this and neither are the cleaners. I talk to the cleaners so be aware Home Joy. You are Dishonest. I told her everything!!
Pros
schedule
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homejoy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5