SUMMARY: The Claims Examiner has direct responsibility for homeowners' property and casualty claims, starting with contacting the insured upon the loss through claims resolution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet the business needs.
- Conduct proper investigations, set adequate reserves, and perform expeditious adjustments of claims
- Recommend claim payments to policyholders and claimants
- Handle claims within policy and corporate guidelines for claims handling
- Engage and monitor the work of outside vendors contributing to the claims adjustment process
- Be adept in and use property and casualty expertise and industry knowledge to recommend and implement change when needed
- Develop and employ creative resolution strategies
- Capable of negotiating disposition of claims with insureds and claimants or their legal representatives while recognizing and implementing alternative means of resolution
- Actively provide mentoring and coaching to less experienced claims professionals to increase the technical expertise and improve team strength
- Ensure compliance of all statutory regulations and Unfair Claim Practice Acts
- Licenses: 5-20 or 6-20
- Xactimate experience highly preferred
- Work well in a team environment
- Effectively communicate through oral and written communications with all internal and external customers of the claims department
- Must be an out-of-the-box thinker who is not afraid of recommending and implementing sound, yet creative, claim-related business practices
- Possess proven negotiation skills for use with insureds and their representatives
- Diligent use and reliance upon a diary system for systematic tracking and processing of claims
- Excellent written and verbal communication, negotiation, and analytical skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office products required (specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- 3 – 5 years of Florida homeowners' property and casualty claims processing experience
- BA/BS degree highly preferred
Homeowners Choice was founded in 2006 by individuals who were themselves Florida homeowners and recognized the need for a quality, stable and service-oriented homeowners’ insurance provider in Florida. Today, we serve approximately 150,000 policyholders throughout Florida. Our management has worked in the Florida homeowner insurance business for over 25 years and is well acquainted with the problems and challenges of Florida's insurance market.
Homeowners Choice, Inc., is publicly-held. Its common shares trade on The NYSE under the ticker symbol HCI. Demotech, Inc., a leading actuarial and financial analysis firm, has awarded HCPC a Financial Stability Rating of “A” (Exceptional). Demotech’s Financial Stability Ratings are designed to indicate the financial stability of a property and casualty insurer.
We are seeking highly-motivated, intelligent, energetic individuals who will take advantage of all the opportunities in our growing company. We are pleased to offer competitive pay, generous benefits, and an exceptional working environment. HCI is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, a Smoke-Free Workplace, and an E-Verify Participant.