HomeStreet Bank Employee Reviews

n/a
Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2017
The bank advanced too quickly and was unable to provide the tools necessary for the sales personnel to succeed. HomeStreet Bank recently implemented a new operational system which resulted in multiple operational difficulties.
Worst Management Ever
Helpdesk Support Technician I (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2017
The management teams are terrible. Upper management doesn't care about the actual process, just the numbers. They like to say they're a "small company that focuses on its people". but they're full of it.
Pros
Supportive coworkers
Cons
management
Nice, but no security
Home Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 9, 2017
I made the mistake of leaving a secure position to move to HomeStreet with the promise that I would not be laid off, but after working there for only a few months, that's exactly what happened. Don't make the same mistake I did - find a company that keeps their promises.
Pros
independent work environment
Cons
No job security - multiple promises broken
Professional yet fun work environment
Funding Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 29, 2017
HomeStreet employees are held to high professional standards related to their work, but are allowed to be themselves and have fun on the job. This leads to a family-like work environment.
Great environment for highly productive professionals
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CA 95661June 29, 2017
The routine was fast-paced, encouraging high volume while remaining conscious of ECOA and TRID compliance. Support systems were technologically advanced and accessible. Encompass was rolled out as the operating system in February, 2017, and integration was confusing, but support was readily available.
Pros
Comfortable while encouraging production, high quality and efficient support systems
Cons
Encompass education/training did not adequately prepare staff and sales for rollout
A Mis-Managed Opportunity
Originator (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 18, 2017
Typical day at work includes taking loan applications, working with processing teams, underwriters, clients, and agents.

It is tough here, as the rates are NOT competitive, which is one of the reasons why I left HomeStreet Bank. Any of the larger banks, i.e. Wells Fargo, BofA, CHASE, Union Bank will ALWAYS beat the rates at HomeStreet Bank. You really have no chance of closing a loan if you are up against any of these other larger banks.

There are way too many layers of management, and way too many pieces of management, who do nothing, and who do not take care of the employees on the front lines. This leads to a workplace culture that I found to be very negative, especially within the branch itself. The Sr Management culture is protective of the branch upper-management, which I felt, disregarded lower management and employees at the branch level.

Under the current leadership there is ZERO room for advancement, and there are no fast-track programs available for those talented employees who wish to move up within the company.

HomeStreet Bank would not be my recommended place for any loan originator to work.
Pros
Good team of people within processing and underwriting
Cons
Non-rate competitive; unable to advance within company, divisive environments
unfair
Wholesale Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMay 10, 2017
only promotes friends- the hardest part of the job was that I was not recognized for all my hard work. Management was very bias with the people that they favored.
Very disappointed
Teller (Former Employee) –  Selah, WAMay 3, 2017
I was offered a job and even emailed the offer letter back to the company, they were just waiting for the background check to clear which kept getting moved on the start date. I gave notice to my current employer and still was waiting for a start date. Finally, I was contacted about a credit issue that I was aware of but was never told that credit was a stipulation. I would have told them about the credit issue and not given my notice to the current employer until this was confirmed. I had to contact them several times by phone and email about the start date. So here I am with no job and all the lady could ask is if I could get my old job back. Are you kidding me, of course not I just gave notice they are not going to give it back because I left? I would not recommend this unorganized company that jacked me around on a start date and never asked about any credit issues before having me give notice to my job. Thanks for nothing.
Cons
unorganized
Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 28, 2017
Depending on the department you are in but over all good people and management. The only down side is there is not a lot of advancement opportunities unless you have been with the company for 10+ years.
Not a fun place to work in the end
Mortgage Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 6, 2017
Demanding job, did not feel that management was supportive in training to make sure that you succeeded in your job. Claimed they would always be there because we were family and that was blown out of the water in the end.
Fun work place
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAMarch 18, 2017
Such a lack of training, which is absolutely mandatory for a banking position. The management was so angry all of the time because no one really wanted to take on the necessary tasks.
Pros
Fun Fun Fun
Cons
No great management
Banking life
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Definitely not a hard job. Bank is pretty focused on the communities and its customers. Sales goal are low. You're able to balance life and work easily.
Pros
growing bank
Cons
no big incentives
Not a good place
Sr. Underwriter DE / VA Lapp (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 10, 2017
not a good place I worked for them for a few months the management really didn't know what they were doing and they don't treat their employees good. .....
Not going to review
Branch Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 26, 2017
My review should not determine whether a person wants to work their or. not., They need to use their own judgement. a capable person should make these decisions for themselves
Left after 6 months
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 23, 2017
Poor leadership, high turnover and no investment in modern software. Everything seemed to be managed with an MS Excel spreadsheet. The pay tempted me to accept the offer but the culture was so bad that I left after 6 months.
Great Atmosphere and a healthy inviroment.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2017
HomeStreet bank had a unique environment that I found enjoyable while working, allowing positive encouragement of it's staff for growth and learning. I really like the personal feel and touch that I was allowed to give to my client's, something that a home town Community Bank's touch can inspire. In all my banking career was the top place to work.
Great employer
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2017
I worked for HomeStreet for the summer of 2013 as an intern. Fun and flexible culture with great opportunities for advancement!
Terrible senior leadership team
Vice President and Call Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 2, 2017
Terrible place to work. Low employee morale. The CEO cares more about Unlimited-Hydro racing and lap times than he does about branch bank employees or its customers. Senior management team is more concerned about their titles than bank customers and employees. Acquisition of other banks are mishandled. Website is a joke. There is no corporate training program for new hires causing errors and significant monetary loss due to fraud perpetrated on untrained branch and call center employees. The HR department is non-supportive and clearly has its own agenda of self-preservation. Compared to other major financial employers I have worked for, HSB is clearly the worst.
Nice people to work with
Loan Officer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WADecember 25, 2016
My management was great. Was busy in the summer and got slow in the Winter due to rates going up. Mortgage industry has ups and downs.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Slow
Enjoy customer interaction
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WAOctober 31, 2016
Staffing an issue when I worked there several years ago. Now, I see it is not. I enjoyed the interaction with the community. Unfortunately, with the pressure to sell various banking products, the rewards were few and far between. Contact with the main office to report lack of raises were referred back to the Branch Manager. I hope that has changed too!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HomeStreet Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6