Homeward Bound Employee Reviews in United States

Provides structured environment for learning how to live in society.
Volunteer/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Aloha, ORNovember 9, 2015
This is a hard working selfless job that I support my husband and Homeward Bound in for providing structured living for addicts and alcoholics learning how to function in society. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing someone turn their life around and become a responsible and productive member of society. Helping with the office work allows me to gain experience with different programming and billing procedures while relieving some of the many duties my husband has to keep the program running efficiently.
Pros
Support husband, helping addicts and alchoholics, gain experience in office duties.
Cons
My husband works long hours and is on-call twenty four hours to handle any problems that may arise.
Transitional Housing That Means Well But Falls Short
Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 30, 2016
During my tenure at Homeward Bound I've had the opportunity to continue growing as a leader while serving a continually diverse and expansive population.

I've managed 4-9 staff at any given time, while assisting in the re-branding of our facility. While mostly working early mornings, I've covered afternoon, evening and even overnight shifts.

Our mission - to create pathways out of poverty for homeless families ready to make a change - gives us the ability to reach into the community and guide families on the road to success, and to end future cycles of generational poverty and homelessness.

While the most enjoyable part of my job has been to witness the success of families (children especially) making headway out of poverty and paving the way for future generations, the hardest times that have come with the job have been to maintain a personable relationship with the families without becoming personal, specifically when being involved in the more tragic side of social services and seeing families separated due to child negligence or abuse.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Relaxed Environment
Cons
Limited Availability for Advancement, Micromanaging
A good place to work for
Supportive home care , personal care (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIApril 6, 2015
The best part of this job was working with my clients. In twelve years of working there, I worked with many, many clients. I loved every one of them. They are all so different and all have a story to tell. Very interesting.
It started out with vacation, which was the only benefit we had, and that was taken away.
Pros
I loved my clients
Cons
No benefits
productive+
lpn (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNMay 4, 2016
flexible schedules
helping staff
nice management
friendly co-workers
haven't seen hardest part of the job
working environment is enjoyable
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Working at Homeward Bound is rewarding.
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2016
It's a wonderful feeling to work with dedicated employees who love what they do. Watching the change that happens when a client steps through the door makes the difficult days worth while.
Pros
Dedicated team.
Cons
Difficult to deal with limited resources.
Productive & always busy
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 5, 2013
In maintenance you're busy from start to finish. There are always projects to do & be assigned. Supervisor is willing to help & advise on projects or techniques to be more efficient. Management is very fair with a great open door policy. Wonderful team environment with great co-workers. Hardest part of work was summer heat, but that's typical AZ weather. Company does supply cold drinking water for techs. Most enjoyable aspect of the job is know that you're helping out families in need.
Pros
free cold water, healthcare benefits, smoke free workplace
Must have high standards
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 10, 2015
Lots of PC skills, able to get along with patients families and patients, direct community service workers to their assigned duties, able to type 50 wpm, able transfer calls quickly to the appropriate individual.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
No security
Enjoy working with my clints at Homeword Bound
Chemical Dependency Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 12, 2015
A day at Homeward Bound is very exciting for me. To come in and see my client's smiles when I walk in. To know they are learning something from what I teach or talk about. To see them take with them something that will help them in their recovery.
babysiter
Babysitter (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMarch 13, 2015
come in get kids settled in start a game and conversation, we had reading time, hardest part was to keep them little people enetertained, and in one spot, I made lunches and juice, tern snacks ,i learned how to communicate, work things out, to do things differently and be a better mother ,i loved to hear the kids laugh and not wanna go home, and cry when they leave
Cna
On-site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 28, 2015
Provide active daily living to the clients, where they could experience a normal life as possible with the help of aids.

Want to know more about Homeward Bound?

Ask a question
It was great working at Homeward Bound, there was little stress and it was close to home.
Counselor LCDC (Former Employee) –  Dallas TexasMay 27, 2013
Productive and fun workplace. Friendly staff. Less stress than other companies. Serious about helping individuals recover from addiction. Allow clinical staff to be creative and authentic.
In the morning, I can expect my office to be clean. the support staff was ready to help in any way, the clients had their necessities and were ready for groups or individual counseling. Breakfast, lunch and dinner was served on time daily. Recreational activities was always fun and thearapeutic.
Pros
free lunch, relaxed environment, supportive staff.close to home
Cons
the pay is not the most, but the environment accomodate for it.
Productive and Challenge
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIAugust 17, 2012
A typical day at work was anwsering phone and assisting the Women of the shelter. I learned about helping the client's with their needs. Management was a challenge. Co-Workers were okay. The hardest part of the job was holding session and listen to what the kids and parents had been through. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing smiles on the kids face.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break
Productive with psychiatric clients stabilizing them on their medications.
Crisis Stabilization Unit LVN (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2012
A typical day at work for me would be coming in, reviewing new and current clients, their status, current meds, and what exactly they are there for. (They could be there for dual diagnosis.) I took verbal orders from physicians and transcribed them to the charts and the MAR. Administered medications.This being my first position after graduating, I learned alot about psychiatric clients and knew I loved it! I was able to take directives from management and work with no supervision. The co-workers I worked with on my shift, was a wonderful combination! We all knew what we had to do and my techs could do their jobs without me having to tell them to do anything. The hardest part of the job was when the client was non-compliant or combative, but we were always able to get the situation under control. My most enjoyable part of my job was when I got to work, whether the clients were in bed or the TV room, they would jump up and start smiling and letting me know how happy they were that I was there. When it was time for the clients to be discharged, they would come to me and let me know that I really made a difference to them. It made my job more than a job!
Pros
experience and the difference i made in a client.
Cons
insurance was expensive to add family.
work
Chemical Dependency Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 17, 2013
the management is great, my unit manager and charge nurse really do have an open door policy. i enjoy my job very much as i have been in the mental health field for over 25yrs. my job duties come very easy to me and i am very experienced in all aspects of the requirements.
Pros
the learning experience.
Cons
i work with some very lazy people. the pay sucks.
A fun place to work.
Home health aide (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, WIMay 7, 2012
I like that you get to know the people you take care of. The hours though are too short, that makes the pay in this economy not worth working for, unless it was a second job.
Pros
you get to know your costumer better, and they get to know you.
Cons
not enough hours available, unless willing to drive alot, and work 2-4 hours in between.
Homehealth agency
CNA (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJanuary 2, 2014
This agency switched its name to silver linings after filing banctrupcy. They pay their employees once per mo. and then cant make payroll even then. They put their staff in shady positions of practicing outside their scope of practice. This was my first experience with home health work and it did not leave a good impression on me.
Pros
flexiblity to choose what assignments i wanted to take.
Cons
failure to pay a once per mo paycheck.
Terrible Job
CD Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 21, 2013
Bad facility learned nothing here management is terrible co-workers are back stabbers. Going to work best part is getting off
Pros
a job for unemployed
Cons
bad pay no loyality
Maintaing good working conditions
National Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Drexel Hill, PAJanuary 20, 2014
in order to promote an excellent quality product portfolio it was a matter of answering incoming phone calls - selling the need to agents who had no place to put their uninsureable clients with a portfolio that they had a need for
Cons
failure to maintain a proper reserve to pay for expected claims
Very productive and fun environment
Bookkeeper-Vice-President (Former Employee) –  HIFebruary 8, 2013
accounts payable and accounts receivable, payroll, taxes, benefit management
Pros
being around wonderful baby animals
She will change YOU before you change HER!
Counselor Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 10, 2013
If you want country club atmosphere and pay that mirrors the company's appreciation for your assests, HWB will NOT be the place. If you want exposure to the front line of addiction...SA, MH, homlessness, etc., this is the place to be. I've learned and am learning so much.
Pros
exposure to indigent population
Cons
pay