Director of Financial Operations
HopeLab (www.hopelab.org) is seeking qualified candidates for a Director of Finance Operations role. While the job title appears traditional, the role provides the opportunity to support an organization on the leading edge of innovative fourth sector business and organizational cultural practices. Market rate compensation and a broad spectrum of generous benefits will be offered to the successful candidate.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Are your friends surprised you are a finance person?
- You are likely searching for more meaning in your career – a job aligned with your personal values
- You have non-profit accounting comfortably under your belt
- Emotionally intelligent - you are open, self-aware, and communicate well
- An inquirer and listener - comfortable asking and answering lots of questions
- A systems thinker, eager to further our mission with elegant and responsive accounting and budgeting systems
- An innovator – not just willing to use “tried and true” approaches but interested in meeting customer and organization needs in creative ways
- You are comfortable with “grey” and don’t default to black and white thinking
- Able to easily move from the 1,000 foot to the 1 foot view and execute day-to-day ops with finesse and delight
Is this you? Then read on…
Who are we?
HopeLab is an innovative nonprofit that harnesses the power and appeal of technology to improve the health of young people. Our customer-focused, evidence-based development process delivers products that measurably improve the health and quality of life of adolescents and young adults.
HopeLab was founded in 2001 by philanthropist Pam Omidyar, who continues to serve as board chair. The HopeLab team includes individuals with expertise in a wide range of disciplines, including research, psychology, game development, nutrition, communications, health law and policy, and organizational development.
We’re harnessing the power and appeal of technology to improve the health and quality of life of young people. We make fun products that promote healthy behavior. To do this, we work closely with young people to understand their needs and to incorporate their critical and ongoing input into product development. We’re also committed to the scientific study of our products, through formative research and outcome studies, to ensure that they are effective. Our first product was the Re-Mission video game for young cancer patients, and now we’re tackling childhood obesity with a new product called Zamzee. Zamzee is a platform for fun that’s powered by movement. Our smart little meter records how much you’re moving around, and your activity fuels an online experience. Go shopping, take on challenges, and compete with your friends online. The best part? The more you go, the more you get.
HopeLab is now exploring how the power of play can be harnessed to support resilience in young people who are confronting health-related adversity.
What makes us a great place to work?
- HopeLab has an inspiring purpose focused on resilience with themes targeting Mind-Body Integration, Science With Heart, Play With Purpose, Technology for Good, and our Culture as Product.
- We are not a typical non-profit; we are part of the new fourth sector, a blend of for- and not-for-profit business practices. This provides a fertile ground for a Director of Finance Operations to learn and contribute to this growing sector.
- We are part of The Omidyar Group (omidyargroup.com), a collection of for and non-profit organizations founded by Pierre and Pam Omidyar united by a common set of values and the conviction that every person should be treated with respect, dignity and a vision for positive change powered by the individual.
- Join a group of dedicated, creative and collaborative professionals, including a highly competent finance team.
- HopeLab is an organization that really pays attention to values and culture – you can participate in and contribute to this culture.
- We invest in growth and development and provide a supportive environment for curiosity and learning.
- We have fun!
In a nutshell, we are looking for someone with progressive experience in finance and accounting and all the knowledge, skills and competencies to demonstrate success in a not-for-profit context. Some job details are listed below!
o Serve as an expert and leader to management and staff, ensuring finance systems and practices serve the needs of HopeLab and its subsidiary, Zamzee Co.
o Lead the finance unit (Senior Accountant and A/P Accountant), providing strategic direction, coaching and supervision.
o Contribute to Board of Director meetings as requested.
o Actively engage The Omidyar Group (“TOG”) finance colleagues to address relevant cross-organizational financial issues.
o Partner with HopeLab and Zamzee department heads annually to forecast budgets for future years
o Work with department heads on an on-going basis to identify costs that are in or out of the current budget and co-create solutions to address variances.
Financial Systems and Operations
o Assure smooth integration of accounting, budgeting, grant and contract reporting systems into HopeLab and Zamzee’s infrastructures.
o Oversee and manage all agency accounting, budgeting, payroll, and cash management functions.
o Responsible for ensuring accurate and timely filing of all financial reporting as required by government, regulatory agencies and funding agencies.
o Oversee the optimal use of accounting software (Great Plains).
o Establish and maintain an internal controls structure.
o Prepare for and coordinate activities to support the annual audit of the organization’s financial statements.
External Grants Management
o Prepare budgets to support funding proposals.
o Maintain an efficient and compliant reporting system for all restricted grant funds.
o Provide timely, accurate financial reports and analysis for senior management, department heads, board of directors, and others in need of agency financial information.
o Serve as an expert and resource for senior management and other staff on budget and accounting issues.
o Ensure financial reports are developed to support efficient management practices.
Curious? Then please apply!
Tell us why this opportunity and HopeLab interest you and what you believe you can contribute to our work.