Hopkinsville Community College Employee Reviews

Higher Education is in trouble
Sr. Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMay 19, 2016
Hopkinsville Community College use to be a great place to work. It was more like a family than a job. But with all the budget cuts and changes in the past few years, it is becoming more and more like a job.

The recent budget cuts were so unfair to the little people. Administration did not cut their own salaries or benefits only those of the hourly staff and faculty without tenure.

It is a shame that they couldn't just do an across the board 2% cut for everyone so that the college as a whole bear the burden of the budget woes. No, they hand picked who was going to a 11 month contract and who was going to a four day work week. No choices it was a dictation.

I want to work for someone who appreciates my contributions and shows me with words of encouragement, pay, and benefits. I also like to work for someone that treats their employees with respect.
Pros
Work with some great people
Cons
Budget controlled by system office and state of Kentucky
Very accommodating, worked around my school schedule
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYDecember 10, 2015
I worked with Hopkinsville Community College through the Ready-To-Work program. I worked at Boys and Girls Club as a volunteer but the college paid me. The staff was very accommodating and understanding. They were always willing to help with any problems.
A very Laid back environment.
custodian 1 (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville KentuckyAugust 12, 2014
Maintaining a building with class rooms, restrooms, break rooms, and making sure that everything is done on my list is a typical day. I leaned when i work by myself i can accomplish a demanding day of anything that can go wrong and anytime i needed help or get behind on the job management is was always there to help. My co-workers were always a radio call away willing to help as well. Taken out trash can be a challenge sometimes but when things are done and I look over my work for the day and my boss says i'm good, that is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Hopkinsville Community College is a well-balanced member of the KCTC system.S
Adjunct Faculty, English (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville campus, English Dept.December 15, 2011
HCC is a well-run, student-centered campus under the Kentucky Community andTechnical College System (KCTCS). As such, it draws a diverse range of students from the south central Kentucky and middle Tennessee region. It is primarily focused on training in job-related areas (not liberal arts), and offers a range of backgrounds.
Pros
agreeable workplace environment, diverse student body
Cons
limited range of degrees and courses, small pool of faculty, new hires are mainly adjunct.
Good experience while getting the education thats needed,how convenient.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJuly 12, 2012
Getting the education and having hands-on training is like a double dose of learning. I get to do projects for my teacher making flyers in plublisher or writing business letters in Microsoft Office and get paid to put it in action. The manager don't hover over me nor judge me by my resume but through the proof of my actions. My boss and the professional co-workers are my inspiration, they encourage me and teacher me the right techniques in order to help me build a better work ethic in the office world. I love it!
Pros
convenient-paid to learn and educate, on slow days get homework done.
Cons
minum. wage, slow days that i don't have homework, distance from home.
Productive and learning environment
Writing Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville KY 42240May 16, 2013
A typical day at work was helping other students reach their academic goals. While working at the college, I learned never to give up and quit. It was extremely important to manage one's time. It is true that all people come from different backgrounds, so one learns how to over look the differences. This is how each of us can get along with other people. The hardest part of the job was not being able to reach a struggling student reach his or her goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was being needed. It was extremely rewarding to have the knowledge to share with others, to watch him or her succeed, and to gain job satisfaction.
Very Professional and Fun Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJuly 10, 2013
A typical day of work for me was pretty repetitive but enjoyable. I learned a lot about basic clerical duties. I mainly scanned and indexed papers. The management was very clear and structured without being too strict or harsh. Most of my coworkers were young students like me so we had a lot in common. The hardest part of the job was the repetitiveness; I like being able to do new things. But at least I knew what I was doing. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was being able to do my work without anyone hounding me and stuff. I was self motivated and could do things at my own pace.
The college was really a good place to work getting to meet all types of students.
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYOctober 27, 2013
A typical day at work is talking to everyone, and maybe tell someone something to help them along in their day.
That everyday is not the same.
I had realy good co-workers if I needed some help they were always there.
Really to me there were not any hard days.
Was being able to talk to all the different people.
Pros
Got to take classes for free
Cons
Working outside in winters.
Work Study
Work-Study/Criminal Justice Dept. Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJune 15, 2015
Great job for a student attending college, schedule is totally worked around your school schedule. The most rewarding part is being able to encourage others to complete their college goals and help them succeed in any way.
Receptionist
STUDENT RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYSeptember 27, 2015
Wonderful workplace under an amazing supervisor. This department is very supportive of learning experience as well as the importance of your education.
During the course of my Internship at Hopkinsville Comm College
Internship, Career and Transfer Center (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYFebruary 10, 2014
I answered the phone and took messages, made appointments, calls, help organize the office, data entry, filed, made copies, critiqued presentations, greeted and assisted clients, etc...
Pros
I liked the work.
Cons
There were not any cons.
Wonderful place to learn, observe, and help those who want help.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 25, 2013
An absolutely exciting and learning experience.
I learn new things every day. I help students enroll at HCC, fill out their FAFSA, loans, schedules, applications, help them retrieve their transcripts, and many more things. I tend to go above and beyond and initiate this to the other employees. I am treated as seniority,
put into management situations, looked up to, trusted, and well liked. I am a people person and get along with all ages, sizes, colors, and attitudes. Another part of the job is sorting the incoming mail and faxes. My boss is a wonderful woman who is very likable and doesn't hold herself above others. I enjoy this job because I love to help people and make their day a little brighter I do this and reap the rewards when eager prospective students become students!
Pros
Get fed alot when parties or luncheons are held there.
Cons
As a student worker I do not have access to healthcare.
very proffesional, organized fun work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJuly 22, 2014
Being an office assistant was a good experience for me. I learned how to promote and create web design. worked with loving and caring people. This job kept me organized and professional.
Pros
Working with the public, promoting
Cons
Not permanent
Great school with amazing professors!
ASSOCIATE IN ARTS/SCIENCE (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville KYOctober 15, 2013
While having many ups and downs during my enrollment at the campus, my professors were all very interested in my advancement. They challenged me as a perused my degree and have done nothing but support me and in efforts.
Helpful faculty for new instructors
Computer Information Systems Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJune 8, 2012
This school was very welcoming for new instructors, and the mentors were quite helpful.
Pros
good people to work with, and current technology
Cons
budget cuts and faculty losing jobs
Excellent Faculty and environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMay 8, 2014
Not only was I a student at this school and office intern, but I had the enormous pleasure of making friends with everyone I encountered. I would recommend HCC to any student or personnel looking for employment.
HCC is a fast paced, high quality learning environment.
Student (Current Employee) –  Ft. Campbell KentuckyDecember 11, 2013
I quite enjoy college. I hesitated when I chose 8 week classes over 16 week classes but after a full year I remain glad that I did. Currently I am still working on core classes and I hold a 4.0 GPA.
Enjoying my profession
Adjunct Professor, Education Dept (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJuly 10, 2013
I enjoy teaching and using my administration abilites. On a typical day in the classroom, I enjoy watching the "aha" moments and helping students with disabilities achieve to their maximum potential. I have learned different modalities of teaching from my coworkers as well as from continuing education hours.

I have used my administrative abilities by developing a math lab and ensuring all Common Core Math Standards were being reinforced in the lab by developing lesson plans using authentic assessment to make sure the students were able to complete the tasks that were assigned to them by myself as well as their teacher. I also created a curriculum map for ACSI standards as well as Common Core Standards.

No matter what happened, I always did what was asked of me by parents, administration, and by other teachers. The whole focus was not about me but about the organization and ensuring the goals and vision was met.
Pros
learning from co-workers, students, and administration
Cons
lack of benefits
Great working experience
Transfer Center Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 12, 2013
I have always had a passion for organization and office work. Being able to answer phone calls, fax papers, make copies, and other office duties brings a splash of excitement to me.
Loved Working in the Marketing Department!
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMay 25, 2015
I had the most supportive management team ever! Great hours, met lots of great people. It was a perfect fit for a student.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hopkinsville Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6