Horace Mann Insurance Employee Reviews

Insurance & Retirement company in a good niche
Market Research Mgr (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 12, 2017
Company has a great target market in which to operate with the educators of public K12 being their historical base. They have the potential to grow in that market as well as the private sector and post-secondary as well.
Pros
Niche, niche, niche
Cons
Smaller company in a land of giants
3.5 stars
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 24, 2017
Horace Mann Insurance gave me the opportunity to learn much about financial reporting for the property and casualty division. The company puts the educators they insure first.
Great place to work for
Assistant Regional Vice President (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 11, 2017
Horace Mann has been a great place to work for. My peers actually care about my success and are always willing to help. Great pay and great leadership.
Pros
Great Leadership
Professional, fun, busy environmment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 10, 2017
As the agency Administrative Assistant, I assisted as many as 10 insurance agents as well as the Agency Manager. I loved assisting with agent development from beginning to hire. I made travel arrangements, answered client calls, directed mail, assisted in the planning and development of monthly agency meetings, and participated as speaker in these meetings when assigned. I also assisted in the organization of Regional Meetings. I learned much about organizing my time effectively, developed leadership skills, and enjoyed the companionship of a team environment as well as the value of working independently.

The worst part of my job was when we lost an agent.
Pros
Cons
Losing agents due to their failure to achieve demanding criteria
Like a shaken ant farm
Sr. Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 6, 2017
Horace Mann was great for the first few years. I felt like I was 'making a difference' and help educators. The current management structure is horrid. Minor re-orgs every quarter and major re-orgs twice a year are now the norm. I've been in the same position for 7 years, and am on my fifth boss. The management position above that has changed four times in the same period.
Great place to work, with some drawbacks
Customer Service/Sales (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAJune 16, 2017
I work in a local Horace Mann office, so it's quite a bit different than working in one of the corporate offices. Horace Mann is a unique company that provides insurance primarily to educators. I like that I can work in a small office but also have access to a large call center of people at any time. With that said, working in a small office also means that I don't get any corporate benefits or pay. Overall, Horace Mann is a great company to work for, but your experience greatly depends on the area where you work. I worked out of the Valdosta office for a year, and averaged 15 new auto policies a month. When I moved to the Macon office, my average dropped to 5.
Relaxed enviorment
Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  DuBois, PAMay 9, 2017
I have not been working here long, however It is a great place to work. The boss and staff are friendly and helpful. I would recommend to anyone that has the chance to work for this company to do so.
as fun as you make it
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, ILMay 2, 2017
great place to work if you can have school access and create many leads that result in sales. I loved helping schools and teachers it is so rewarding. Please try this company if you have a chance.
Pros
Free time
Cons
no sales-no money
Management Is the Problem
Auto Physical Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 11, 2017
Horace Mann could be a great company but the management team is poor and micromanage associates who are poorly trained. Advancement is predicated on who you know and who likes you. If you like corporate politics, you will love Horace Mann.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
everything else
Overall Good Place of Employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 30, 2017
Horace Mann Insurance is a good place of steady employment for Clerical and Office Workers. The environment is generally friendly, the building climate is always comfortable, and co-workers tend to be helpful. Any office job can become tedious or monotonous, and so it is not ideal for those prone to more physical positions or stimulation.
It tends to be quiet and uneventful in a pleasant way.
Pros
Calm Office Environment
Cons
Monotonous
Worked for one branch agent
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2017
I worked for an agent in South Texas where I assisted with help desk and customer service tasks. I was contracted to configure and setup the agents network and computers. I helped the agent setup security firewalls and VPN's so he could connect with Horace Mann's database and increase his business workflow.
Pros
Great company that cares about security and service.
Cons
Contract
work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Maxton, NCJanuary 30, 2017
Great job .........enjoyed learned alot from others and enjoyed my work. I leared alot during the time i worked there. Anyone would like working there
Pros
working by yourself
Cons
no benifits
Absolutely wonderful
Licensed Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 27, 2016
If I was not being relocated for my husband's job I could see myself here until retirement. The leadership goes above and beyond what is typical of most major companies. They truly do care about their employees and want them to succeed.
I just didnt enjoy it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VADecember 13, 2016
I worked from home which everyone thinks is amazing but I'm used to working customer service jobs and I am a social butterfly so I just didn't enjoy sitting in front of a computer all day every day.
Supportive people
Exclusive Agent (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILAugust 27, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at Horace Mann. They have been very supportive on many levels. They helped me set up and get have been supportive by sending support staff and people are always available via phone.
Great Work Day
Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 12, 2016
A great day for me at work would be a very productive type of day where you leave work with all your tasks done and you leave in a great mood because your coworkers and your work environment is so peaceful and full of nothing but positive energy.
Machine worker environment
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 6, 2016
A typical work day was at an accelerated rate to investigate and to finalize on a claim. Adjusters also subrogated their own files, settled the Total Loss' of their files, and wore multiple hats that most carriers have departmentalized. It was also customary to work your colleagues files when their calls rolled over to your phone line.

The Adjusters were forced to be "self-managing".

The coworkers were very pleasant but ALL had the look of hopelessness due to excessive work load, the increasing pressures of the required task and late hours to stay afloat; colleagues were each others support system.
Pros
Frequent Employee recognition
Cons
Recognition by paper & trophy rewards
Great products for our educators.
Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LAJuly 5, 2016
Really good insurance products as well as 403b's for state employed educators. Great flexibility with schedule. Management sometimes vague on contracts. Great service with field support as well as business developers in helping with problems or compensation issues.
Pros
Flexibility/make your own schedule and be your own business owner
Cons
Corporate training was minimal, at best.
It's a fine place to work.
Category Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 27, 2016
Worked for a company where you can be a part of change. It's a small company on the rise and they will be positioned well for the future over the next couple of years.
Boss was very family oriented
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 4, 2016
Great internal people I worked with, even though I didn't see them on a daily basis. Boss was family oriented, generous in pay and time off that I may have needed.
Cons
No real benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horace Mann Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.