Horace Mann Insurance

Horace Mann Insurance Employee Reviews

Great products for our educators.
Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LAJuly 5, 2016
Really good insurance products as well as 403b's for state employed educators. Great flexibility with schedule. Management sometimes vague on contracts. Great service with field support as well as business developers in helping with problems or compensation issues.
Pros
Flexibility/make your own schedule and be your own business owner
Cons
Corporate training was minimal, at best.
work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Maxton, NCJanuary 30, 2017
Great job .........enjoyed learned alot from others and enjoyed my work. I leared alot during the time i worked there. Anyone would like working there
Pros
working by yourself
Cons
no benifits
Absolutely wonderful
Licensed Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 27, 2016
If I was not being relocated for my husband's job I could see myself here until retirement. The leadership goes above and beyond what is typical of most major companies. They truly do care about their employees and want them to succeed.
Run far away!
Claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  morrisville, ncAugust 8, 2015
This company is horrible. The management is the worst and will lie to you daily about EVERYTHING! Everyday you fear you will be fired for the simplest things. They are ridiculously understaffed but expect you to still perform as if they over staffed. You will work on average 10 hrs a day for 6 days or maybe 12 hrs a day for 5. The benefits are not really all that. Everyone complains daily about working for the company. And don't bother saying anything to HR... You will be fired for it. Training is set up for failure. Technology is about 8 years behind. Management will throw you under the bus in a second to save their own skin. The company is VERY unorganized and it is a big popularity contest. No room for advancement unless you go behind people's backs to get it

You will be looking for a new job with in 3-6 months
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
everything else
Machine worker environment
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 6, 2016
A typical work day was at an accelerated rate to investigate and to finalize on a claim. Adjusters also subrogated their own files, settled the Total Loss' of their files, and wore multiple hats that most carriers have departmentalized. It was also customary to work your colleagues files when their calls rolled over to your phone line.

The Adjusters were forced to be "self-managing".

The coworkers were very pleasant but ALL had the look of hopelessness due to excessive work load, the increasing pressures of the required task and late hours to stay afloat; colleagues were each others support system.
Pros
Frequent Employee recognition
Cons
Recognition by paper & trophy rewards
Supportive people
Exclusive Agent (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILAugust 27, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at Horace Mann. They have been very supportive on many levels. They helped me set up and get have been supportive by sending support staff and people are always available via phone.
Its a job...
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCDecember 30, 2014
The people are great a very family oriented atmosphere. Benefits and 401K are pretty good compared to industry standard. Pay is average for industry standard. Segmentation was just initiated so duties are excessive compared to the industry. In my tenure there, management is reactive not proactive. Something that happens annually shouldn't come as a shock and be met with no preparation. Most subordinates are looked at as just a number. The turn over rate is high so staffing is always an issue causing the remaining people to be overworked and interfering with their work/life balance.
Boss was very family oriented
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 4, 2016
Great internal people I worked with, even though I didn't see them on a daily basis. Boss was family oriented, generous in pay and time off that I may have needed.
Cons
No real benefits
Just Terrible Leadership
Claims Counselor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 29, 2014
The leadership in the Irving, TX office are tterrible. Yes terrible with two ts.The company is going through a bad stage and management is not helping at all. 12 hr days 6 days per week or you lose your job. Not worth it for me. Turnover is insane. Training is pitiful. If you take the job as a CC, you will quickly find out why turnover is so high. Until the corner offices get fired or leave, run and don't look back. This grass is brown, dead, overgrown with weeds the size of Spruce trees. If you value work/life balance, forget about HM until they get it together.
Pros
Clean break room
Cons
Everything else
It's a fine place to work.
Category Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 27, 2016
Worked for a company where you can be a part of change. It's a small company on the rise and they will be positioned well for the future over the next couple of years.
Great Work Day
Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 12, 2016
A great day for me at work would be a very productive type of day where you leave work with all your tasks done and you leave in a great mood because your coworkers and your work environment is so peaceful and full of nothing but positive energy.
Learn from others' mistakes!
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving TxApril 30, 2015
This company is disorganized and poorly run. Inadequate training will set you up for failure. The training offered does not show you how to do the actual job... complete waste of time. Unfair performance reviews will overshadow your hard work and determination. The senior management cannot be trusted and they will actually lie to your face. Extremely low pay based on other local companies. They have no dignity so don't let them take yours. The workload is EXTREMELY high because 75% of the employees have already quit for employers with more integrity. Trust...all employees want to quit including other managers! If you apply you might get hired because they are desperate but you will surely regret your decision.

If they call hang up the phone.

Counselors are treated the worst out of all positions.
Cons
no promotional opportunities, no room for advancement.
Great office energy. Friendly and helpful co-workers. Happy to be at work.
Auto Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 21, 2015
A typical day consist of contacting insured and claimants in new claims within the first 24 hours of claim being filed. Noting everything in file correctly and promptly. I feel comfortable going to any co-worker or manager in the office for guidance and coaching. Everyone wants the company and themselves to be successful, therefore great team players and pleasant to be around. The hardest part of the job is the reactions from customers when they are unhappy with a liability decision, but that comes with the job, and you just have to let it roll off your back. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co-workers and managers. Everyone is involved.
Pros
Office events. Friendly and helpful co-workers
Cons
Expensive benefits
Unhappy, Tired Claims Counselor.
Claim Counselor (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 20, 2014
My recommendation, don't work here. None of the counselors have anything good to say about this company. You'll be back on indeed in no time if you accept a position. You will be drained emotionally and physically each day of working here. Management will not train you but they will expect for you to figure out how to do the job on your own. You will be micro managed and dragged through the mud by the worst management is history.

You'll work at least 10 hours per day plus Saturdays. No OT or incentive pay for the extra hours. If you refuse to work the extra hours they will fire you. Do yourself a favor and think twice before accepting an offer with the claims division.
Pros
Cons
management, salary, management again
Productive Small Company
Loss Reporter (Former Employee) –  IrvingMay 20, 2013
Day consisted or being on and ready on the phone at the start of the shift. Taking calls for auto and property damage, and either keeping them or sending them to correct department. I learned a lot of the how the insurance business works and different laws you have to follow in order to remain compliant with all Department of Insurance. Have wonderful co workers that tried to help each other out when we were not in. Everyone pitched in to help out. Management is readily available and friendly. The hardest part of the job is trying to calm someone down who has been in an accident. That being said it is also the most rewarding when you are able to help out.
Pros
Employee recognition and activities
Cons
Very Long hours per day
Not exactly professional
Former potential hire (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 10, 2014
After approximately 9 hours of interviews, over a 3 week period, and a 2 hour computer assessment, I was offered a one on one closing meeting with the Executive VP. I was led to believe the one on one closing meeting would be a job offer with communications about expectations, salary, etc. A few hours before I was to meet with the VP, I received an email that stated he had decided on a different direction and I was not going to be offered the job. I was never given a reason and was devastated to get the information via email at the very last minute. I would have appreciated receiving some kind of feedback as to how I lost the job that far into the process.
Productive and laid back atmosphere
Casualty Claims Clerk (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCNovember 7, 2015
On a typical day, I pay all medical bills (1st and 3rd party) for our customers through a data base called Medata Core and the Explanation of Benefits EOBs are populated through another data called Medata Toolbox where I have to override reason codes to make sure that charges for procedures are reduced correctly saving the company money. I also work with another data base called CWS which retains all of our files for our customers. My co-workers are friendly and we're like family which makes my job easy.
Pros
Great benefits, ie medical, dental, visual, 401K
Ok
Office Manager / Licensed Producer (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAFebruary 26, 2016
Fun place to work. Not a whole lot of room for advancement since it's a small office. I would do it again for slightly better pay.
Pros
Work by yourself most of the time.
Agent
Exclusive Agent (Current Employee) –  Portland OregonFebruary 25, 2014
You're on your own as an Agent and it's sink or swim. There's Significant overlap with management responsibilities. One doesn't know where their job ends and another's begins. Inexperienced management that provides incorrect information and passes the buck rather than learn the answer to your questions. Complicated constantly changing compensation plan. Turnover is terrible. Most of the management came from Allstate insurance.
Pros
People are nice.
Cons
It's the blind leading the blind in Sales mgmt.
Exclusive Agent
Exclusive Agent (Current Employee) –  TexasFebruary 4, 2016
Company is still growing and learning daily.
Updating the business model in bringing on mor Agents in order to keep up with the times.
Commissions are awesome and Products are great.
Unlike most Agency's , there is No chasing leads and going after friends and family when your just starting out.
These people actually a sewer their phones and are there to help answer your questions so you learn and grow your agency quickly!
You won't be sorry making the transition , keep the faith and do it
Pros
Caring Company with A lot of support
Cons
One week training in Illinois

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horace Mann Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.