Horace Mann Employee Reviews

Learn from others' mistakes!
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving TxApril 30, 2015
This company is disorganized and poorly run. Inadequate training will set you up for failure. The training offered does not show you how to do the actual job... complete waste of time. Unfair performance reviews will overshadow your hard work and determination. The senior management cannot be trusted and they will actually lie to your face. Extremely low pay based on other local companies. They have no dignity so don't let them take yours. The workload is EXTREMELY high because 75% of the employees have already quit for employers with more integrity. Trust...all employees want to quit including other managers! If you apply you might get hired because they are desperate but you will surely regret your decision.

If they call hang up the phone.

Counselors are treated the worst out of all positions.
Cons
no promotional opportunities, no room for advancement.
Run far away!
Claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  morrisville, ncAugust 8, 2015
This company is horrible. The management is the worst and will lie to you daily about EVERYTHING! Everyday you fear you will be fired for the simplest things. They are ridiculously understaffed but expect you to still perform as if they over staffed. You will work on average 10 hrs a day for 6 days or maybe 12 hrs a day for 5. The benefits are not really all that. Everyone complains daily about working for the company. And don't bother saying anything to HR... You will be fired for it. Training is set up for failure. Technology is about 8 years behind. Management will throw you under the bus in a second to save their own skin. The company is VERY unorganized and it is a big popularity contest. No room for advancement unless you go behind people's backs to get it

You will be looking for a new job with in 3-6 months
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
everything else
Great office energy. Friendly and helpful co-workers. Happy to be at work.
Auto Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 21, 2015
A typical day consist of contacting insured and claimants in new claims within the first 24 hours of claim being filed. Noting everything in file correctly and promptly. I feel comfortable going to any co-worker or manager in the office for guidance and coaching. Everyone wants the company and themselves to be successful, therefore great team players and pleasant to be around. The hardest part of the job is the reactions from customers when they are unhappy with a liability decision, but that comes with the job, and you just have to let it roll off your back. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co-workers and managers. Everyone is involved.
Pros
Office events. Friendly and helpful co-workers
Cons
Expensive benefits
Just Terrible Leadership
Claims Counselor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 29, 2014
The leadership in the Irving, TX office are tterrible. Yes terrible with two ts.The company is going through a bad stage and management is not helping at all. 12 hr days 6 days per week or you lose your job. Not worth it for me. Turnover is insane. Training is pitiful. If you take the job as a CC, you will quickly find out why turnover is so high. Until the corner offices get fired or leave, run and don't look back. This grass is brown, dead, overgrown with weeds the size of Spruce trees. If you value work/life balance, forget about HM until they get it together.
Pros
clean break room
Cons
everything else
Unhappy, Tired Claims Counselor.
Claim Counselor (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 20, 2014
My recommendation, don't work here. None of the counselors have anything good to say about this company. You'll be back on indeed in no time if you accept a position. You will be drained emotionally and physically each day of working here. Management will not train you but they will expect for you to figure out how to do the job on your own. You will be micro managed and dragged through the mud by the worst management is history.

You'll work at least 10 hours per day plus Saturdays. No OT or incentive pay for the extra hours. If you refuse to work the extra hours they will fire you. Do yourself a favor and think twice before accepting an offer with the claims division.
Cons
management, salary, management again
Not exactly professional
Former potential hire (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 10, 2014
After approximately 9 hours of interviews, over a 3 week period, and a 2 hour computer assessment, I was offered a one on one closing meeting with the Executive VP. I was led to believe the one on one closing meeting would be a job offer with communications about expectations, salary, etc. A few hours before I was to meet with the VP, I received an email that stated he had decided on a different direction and I was not going to be offered the job. I was never given a reason and was devastated to get the information via email at the very last minute. I would have appreciated receiving some kind of feedback as to how I lost the job that far into the process.
Exclusive Agent
Exclusive Agent (Current Employee) –  TexasFebruary 4, 2016
Company is still growing and learning daily.
Updating the business model in bringing on mor Agents in order to keep up with the times.
Commissions are awesome and Products are great.
Unlike most Agency's , there is No chasing leads and going after friends and family when your just starting out.
These people actually a sewer their phones and are there to help answer your questions so you learn and grow your agency quickly!
You won't be sorry making the transition , keep the faith and do it
Pros
Caring Company with A lot of support
Cons
One week training in Illinois
Agent
Exclusive Agent (Current Employee) –  Portland OregonFebruary 25, 2014
You're on your own as an Agent and it's sink or swim. There's Significant overlap with management responsibilities. One doesn't know where their job ends and another's begins. Inexperienced management that provides incorrect information and passes the buck rather than learn the answer to your questions. Complicated constantly changing compensation plan. Turnover is terrible. Most of the management came from Allstate insurance.
Pros
people are nice.
Cons
it's the blind leading the blind in sales mgmt.
Strive to be a greater person
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAJune 10, 2014
Manager of making sandwiches for homeless shelters throughout Southern California.  Insured that they were counted and ready for distribution at pickup.  It is very gratifying working with my peers to come together as a community to help those in need. I look forward to doing more of this kind of work, knowing I can help others. My love for helping others.
Marketing Analyst
Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 27, 2015
I loved every minute of my temporary position at Horace Mann. Felt like a family member there. I often wanted to stay longer than my appointed time to work on exciting projects and enjoy the team environment.
Pros
Awesome cafeteria with great prices and free refill fridays!
Cons
Wasn't able to secure me a permenant position after my temporary assignment was finished.
Run away! Bad Company to work for
Claim Counselor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 28, 2015
You have been warned. You will, like so many others before you will regret the day you applied to work at Horace Mann Insurance Company. The company lacks integrity, ethics, leadership, technology...I could type for years. Don't do it!

Your job will be on the line DAILY
Pros
lunch break
Cons
walking through the door of the horace mann office
Insurance company that straggles with IT modernization.
Lead Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 26, 2015
It is a good environment to work. However for the last 3 years there has been an struggle to keep up with the ever changing technologies to support the business demands for Information processing.
Pros
Good people that work hard and very helpfull.
Cons
Planing is not the best a this company, Weekends work is sometimes required.
Loved this job
Agency Assistant (Former Employee) –  Zelienople, PAJanuary 17, 2014
In 3 short years, I went from a secretary to Administrative Assistant, working for 2 Managers and 26 agents under me. Gathered the production numbers from the agents daily for the weekly & monthly reports & newsletter, organized meeting, recruiting, training new agents, travel, etc.
Pros
loved my and employees, loved this job!!!
Cons
recession - got laid off
Most important in daily life is staying productive.
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 22, 2013
Starting a day with fellow workers is beginning of where we go from here. Information , sharing, communication, can have a company headed in a successful direction.
Pros
knowing i have given all i had .
Cons
no communication, or no good work ethics
Fantastic
Regional Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MarylandOctober 23, 2013
In this environment I gained all of my skills and was able to pursue my career goals. I obtained my college degree, my professional certifications both in the insurance industry but Malso with IAAP.
Pros
my supervisor was a born leader.
Reginal Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 7, 2015
I really enjoyed my position at Horace Mann. I had an awesome manager. My co-workers were very helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job was the traveling and setting up meetings.
Great place to learn valuable concepts of the business
Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, Garland, Wylie, Nevada, AllenApril 23, 2015
A great place to work enjoy my coworkers and clients very much. I learned many of the core concepts and am ready to take the next step in the insurance world.
Pros
schedule flexibility
Cons
compensation
Fun and learning games with the the children
Head Start Sub (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILNovember 22, 2014
I sub for teachers and assistants for Pre-School and Head start. I play learning games with the children and run learning groups for them as well. I enjoy children and watching them learn and prepare for kindergarten.
Pros
teaching kids
Cons
it was an on call job
Great educational support for schools and staff, providing insurance needs, financial assesment and incentive rewards for students.
Licensed Producer (Former Employee) –  Windham and Middlesex CountyJune 9, 2014
I fully enjoyed working in the schools, Horace Mann dedicates to schools and I feel has made a difference.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
travel and expenses
It pays ok
Insurance Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 7, 2014
As an adjuster, the roles were separate. For example, Bi adjusters only handled bodily injury, PD adjusters only did property damage and Pip/Medpay adjusters only handled PIP and Medpay.
Pros
pay
Cons
the work never ended as is the nature of claims