Horizon Air Employee Reviews

Excellent Company
Inventory Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 19, 2016
Horizon Air is a great place to work. Management cares about employees and their safety. The company is 100% dedicated to ensuring all aircraft are maintained at top standards to ensure passenger safety. I am proud to have been part of this company.
Ramp agent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 18, 2015
Great place to work only left to relocate with family and further my education. They treat their employees well and pay above current market rates.
Fun job, working with aircraft.
Operations/Communications/Ground Service Agent (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WANovember 1, 2015
Loading unloading flights, transferring baggage and cargo, senior ground service trainer. Operation agent and Senior operations trainer.
Pros
Flight Benifets, fun people to work with
Cons
Slow pay scale
Great Company leadership is going south.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTSeptember 2, 2015
Worked for Horizon for 27 years and left recently due t the fact that the company went from wanting to be the best at what it did, to chasing a buck for share holders. Sad...
Pros
Fun work, great people at work level, fly for free
Cons
Upper management don't care except about making a buck.
Innovative company that values the employees that work there.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDJune 29, 2015
I worked for Horizon Air 26 years. I was always a name and not a number. I loved working for the company and all the people I was associated with. We were all extended family and treated each other as such. Horizon Air is a subsidiary of Alaska Air Group. In 2010 they sold aircraft which required them to leave some markets. Idaho Falls was one of them I am sad to say. Horizon Air was one of the first companies to truly define values and live by them. Integrity,Partnership,Continuous Improvement, Innovation were more than just buzz words at this organization. I started soon after the company started and always felt like it was my company. The upper management at Horizon was top notch. The organization has made many changes along the way but what separated them from all other airlines is Customer Service.
Pros
Free Flight Benefits
Cons
No longer flying in the Idaho Falls Market
Good company, great co-workers but days are too long with not enough breaks
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 4, 2015
Love the job and co-workers. Days tend to be too many hours with not enough breaks. Great benefits but they always seem to be under staffed.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
days are too long
A day in review of a Passenger Service Agent.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Portland ORJanuary 21, 2015
1. Prepare your flight. Including checking in, helping passengers that may need special services, i.e. escorting, pushing wheelchair for boarding, clearing the plane for take off, paperwork and reports. Balancing a cash report of your day.

2. You never know anyones story. Always remain neutral. Most importantly treat people the way you want to be treated.

3. Understood that Management is the director. Not dictator, but a director. Most of the instructions/ directions are really a total team effort.

4. Enjoyed the team mentality. We knew the only way to do all that was required, was with one other.

5. Explaining that the flight was not going to happen. Due to reasons beyond our control, (weather) or passenger being intoxicated. Telling family members fight oversold only 3 of the 4 in the party would be going. Tuff during spring break and kids start to get emotional.

6. Being able to help complete that vacation that a child has been so excited to go on. When on the return, they (child) walk through the boarding areaand with wonderment and excitement they run to you.
Pros
free air travel
Cons
no control over demands of operations. plane due to arrive over 4 hours late because of weather.
Horizon is horrible
Ground Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Horizon is a great company in regards to the work you do. It's very great labor however the management in the Sacramento area is HORRIBLE. You make one mistake and they fire you! Also the pay is horrible and they never listen to the workers. don't apply here, they are terrible
Pros
hard work
Cons
bad pay, horrible management
I never expected to fall in love with aviation!
Passenger Service Agent/Ground Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 8, 2015
This was my favorite job. I never should have left! But my days would start as early as 0345 or as late as 2100. Starting at the bottom of the seniority list you don't get much choice considering your schedule. But the coworkers are a blast and always smiling! That's what made this job awesome! I don't have too many negative things to say about Horizon.
Pros
being outside, family work environment, good benefits, free flight benefits, change, being around aircraft
Cons
early mornings, unpredictable bids, changing schedules, unruly passengers
Great place to work all mechanics are very helpful with new recruits
A&P Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 4, 2014
At Horizon Air I worked the graveyard shift which for mechanics can be taxing but I like to have more time in driving to work. Aircraft are scheduled for maintenance and assignments given out by the lead mechanics for various duties. I could be changing a tire, inspecting cabin lighting to replacing engine system componates. I learned that a lot of my work on an aircraft was repitition but learning to do it as fast as possible without mistakes.
We worked on mainly on one of the main stays of the airline a Dehaviland Dash8. A very nice Jet prop aircraft.
Management could be testy and seems that pushing a broom was more important but the need to stay busy is great. Co-workers were great from all walks of life and areas. All were willing to help with any questions or problems. Hardest part of the job......staying awake driving home. The most enjoyable had to be flying priviledges. If I had to train again go military and get jet aircraft experience.
Pros
portand, oregon based an a+
Cons
sleepydust
I did enjoy the time I had with my last Employer, It was a good learning experience.
Encoder (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WANovember 13, 2014
My last position with Horizon Air was called an Encoder. There was 2 of us doing this position. We research why baggage did not arrive with the passengers. We did help guide our Superiors on where to focus baggage handling. Did save the company Millions. It was a desk job. We did not have to speak to Customers and our Superiors did not contact us much during the day. We were Independent on our task, We sent our daily reports. Monthly I did extra graphs and Charts with the breakdown of the Month. Gave Percentages and areas of focus,
Pros
independence, medical, dental and flight benifits
Cons
only 2 who knew our positions, i covered my co workers vacation but i did not mind the extra hours at work.
Horrible management and supervisors, to much office politics to be worth your while.
gsa (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 5, 2014
Great people on ramp to work with. Management is horrible, watch out.
Regional Airline
Stable company
Part of Alaska Airgroup
fun place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  East Boston, MAMay 14, 2014
The best job one can have. Union dispatchers are the friendliest people you can have. The co-workers are extremely friendly and outgoing.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
when is cold or too hot
Fast pace growing transportation company. Learned a great deal both in accounting and the industry.
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2014
My main tasks were with accounts receivable, posting cash, running aging reports and collections. With some downsizing over the years I became responsible with the initiation and maintenance of paperless billing. I learned to work on various web sites that some customers required as well as customized spread sheets for others. I was also involved with a larger focus on customer service issues reconciling accounts as well as providing paperwork for their billing when requested.
Pros
location was a plus, my co workers were exceptional and i still remain in touch with many of them today.
Cons
down sizing added to many task on remaining employees, difficult for all to complete tasks with the accuracy and detail required, extra time and work was not compensated.
Awesome!!!
Ground Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 1, 2013
There is nothing not to like about this company. They are awesome.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Good if you want to see the world.
Ramper (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WANovember 22, 2013
It was a fun and interesting job but i did not fell like there was any room to advance.
Pros
free flights
Cons
not moving up to anything better.
Somewhat tense workplace due to constant deadlines. Made some great friends and good co-workers to mange company affairs as far as maintenance of airc
Heavy Check (C-Check) mechanic (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 16, 2013
The review I wrote for last position actually applies to this position mostly
Positive people and fun place to work
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Portland, Seattle, Medford, Boise, and SpokaneAugust 25, 2013
Good company for a young person with no home responsibilities.
Pros
free flights
Cons
super long hours.
Busy Busy Busy
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 12, 2013
Great job if you enjoy the travel and benefits. Definitely not for everyone