Horizon Behavioral Health Employee Reviews

Toxic unprofessional enviroment. Rude and discriminating employers.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 12, 2017
Supervisors that over rule their authority. Unprofessional, unqualified personnel. Lack of Mental Health knowledge. Unfit HR staff. High discrimination on individuals differences.
Stressful job, good pay, poor management
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INMay 16, 2017
I loved my time with this company while I was on the clock working with kids in am inpatient psychiatric facility. I did not agree with upper management decisions. The pay was better than average.
Pros
Satisfaction of helping others, above average income
Cons
Long hours, short staffed, poor upper management
I really enjoyed working with the people who lived in the group homes.
Residential Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison Hts, VAMay 15, 2017
I would interact with the individuals, administer medications, cook their meals, plan activities for them in the community, assist them with their Adl's each day, light house keeping and I also had some documentation each day as well.

The hardest part of the job sometimes was working with the staff because of the different personalities.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the individuals and being able to put a smile on their faces especially when they seemed to be having a challenging day.
Pros
I met some nice people
Cons
Management and Communication could have been alot better
Stay away horizon behavior health
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  langhorne rdMay 12, 2017
i worked for HORIZON for 11 years was laid off in march from the first day i walked into the agency i never felt at ease i warn you stay away if your looking for long term employment stay AWAY FROM HORIZON BEHAVIOR HEALTH
Pros
beneifits
Cons
everything else
Unhealthy work environment
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 8, 2017
This company has devolved into complete toxicity. Love of clients and wanting to serve those in need has become a detriment to my own mental health. I am overwhelmed, overworked, overstretched, underappreciated, underpaid, and undermined at every turn. I work at least 50 hours a week and am always struggling to keep my head above water. The caseload is too much, the paperwork to excessive, and the stress is unbearable. I feel like all that I do is never enough. No matter how much I do, there is always more wanted from me. The turnover leads to only more work and more problems, more hours without additional pay. The CEO is megalomaniac who is relentless in his pursuit of something that is turning this agency upside down and inside out. It's not a desirable place to work anymore.
Cons
Ceo, long hours, caseload, low pay, lack of growth
Favoritism is a big part of the agency
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMarch 28, 2017
Need more training. Favoritism is a big part of the agency. High turnover in administrative, nursing and NP roles. People that have worked there a number of years feel entitled to have everything go their way and management complies with it.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Not worth it
Day Treatment- Clinician IV (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMarch 24, 2017
The hardest part of the job is having to give clients the time they deserve/need while having to complete your paperwork within 24 hours; you do have to complete some of it at home without being compensated. Many clinicians in day treatment have had to bill more than 6 clients in a day and many case managers continue to have clients added to their overwhelming caseloads.

I'd say the best part of this job is seeing the progress that your clients make in their treatment. Working with the clients was stressful at times but could be rewarding. Most of the staff I worked with were awesome yet you do come in contact with rude and lazy staff at times.

Management is probably the worst part of this job. Since getting a new CEO there has been a lack of regard for the quality of care for the clients and billing is reiterated so many times- lets see how much money we can make while only providing the bare minimal of services. Its not fair to clinicians and its really not fair to the clients who deserve so much more!
Management can be rude and vindictive at times. Management does not listen to concerns and only provide quick fixes for big problems. People bring up the same concerns to management and nothing changes.

Horizon treats people like they can be replaced but it seems as if they are now realizing its not so easy to replace good, hard working clinicians. This company really isnt worth working for anymore... I would rather make a little less to work for a company that values the care of the clients and how they treat staff.
Pros
clients, some coworkers, benefits, annual leave, sick leave
Cons
management, workload
Loved working with the dividuals
Resident Technician (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMarch 22, 2017
Change rules and regulations at any time no real permeant position. Didn't appreciate good worker. Love the individuals management where never there to listen to the employee. The schedule always changed
Honesty
Intensive In-Home Counselor, Crisis, TDT (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 21, 2017
Reading all these reviews makes me sad but also helps me to feel that I was not alone in how I felt working for Horizon. It's been 8 months since I quit but still feel like I could be retaliated against for even writing this review. I worked for Horizon for 6 years and absolutely loved working with my clients, I still miss them. I started, endured, and ended with horrendous management. I was bullied and manipulated. My supervisors (I went through many) were ALL vindictive and intentionally caused conflict between their lower staff. I wish I would have left sooner but didnt feel right leaving my clients who need caring, stable people in their lives. The atmosphere is toxic, so much negativity from management. I can not believe that Horizon can legally get away with some of the things they pull. They are focused on billing and not clients or employee concerns. Do not put yourself through the traumatic experience of working for this company. You will not be heard or valued. Things will not change even if you speak up. You do not have a voice here. I still have friends that work there and want to leave but care too much for their clients. They all say that it has gotten even worse since I left. People quit all the time and that has caused instability for all, which affects the clients. I pray that Horizon reads these reviews and understands that they need to change for the whole reason as to why they are a company in the first place, to help the clients!
Pros
Making lasting friendships, helping at-risk kids
Enjoyed my position but company was going through financial difficulty
Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 20, 2017
The company input a new Electronic Health Record and had many issues of it not working properly resulting in huge financial loss issues which impacted employees satisfaction. Ultimately costing many jobs, mine included.
More Cons than Pros
Therapeutic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 11, 2017
Pros
my coworkers were great and cared about their clients. Good launching pad for a career in mental health. Established relationships that will last a lifetime.
Cons
Poor upper management, too much secrecy in management, billing is priority over quality care of client, CEO has employees working in fear, many threats of being on a list if you dont do this or that, get your experience and leave them, get the free supervision and leave, too much work and no reflection on time given to employees to get it done, lousy pay in comparison to other companies in area.

Advice to Management
Be truthful to your staff and stop being manipulative. Stop waiting to the last minute to inform the lower staff employees what is going on. Management needs to take responsibility for errors and mistakes instead of placing blame on lower level staff.
Bad Work Environment
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 26, 2017
Executive leadership micromanage and distrust their employees and management. Creating a work culture of fear and distrust. I would not recommend working for Horizon until significant leadership changes are made
Great workplace
Day Treatment Clinician IV (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work requires, patience, understanding , effective listening and communication. I have learned to listen and understand each client's need as there are times that wanting to be heard and understood heals the emotional pain that is felt inside. I have learned that some people feel the rain while others just get wet. Bob Dylan

Management- My first boss with Horizon was more than a boss as she was a true leader and a friend. We had a great team at ACHS and I miss them very much. I now have a great boss as she has a wealth of knowledge and encourages growth. I can't complain.

I have had a some great co-workers at Horizon, as just as any other place there has been some who were beyond my reach.

The hardest part of the job is getting all that needs to be done completed by the end the end of the day.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing growth and change in the client's
Wonderful Work Environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 13, 2016
This company is a wonderful place to work. The management is outstanding and the staff is excellent. Everyone who is on the team at Horizon Behavioral Health is compassionate, hard working, motivated, and eager to strive for the best.
It is a very busy office with a high volume of patients. Be prepared to stay busy all day. There is always something to be done so have a can do attitude.
Pros
Great Staff, Fun work environment
Managment is very disorganized
Supervisor patient accounts (Former Employee) –  1600 lorraine HutchinsonNovember 21, 2016
The communication is terrible. Most of the department managers are completely unaware of how their departments are ran. There is also no growth within the company.
Social Media Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 15, 2016
The staff is lovely. The clinic is fast paced and exciting and wonderful. Happy environment to work in and excellent management of the facility for happy employees.
Management does not provide clear instruction
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAOctober 20, 2016
I do not feel like I have learned anything new. As an organization, they continue to make the same mistakes over and over. The executive leadership team makes knee-jerk decisions without any supporting data.
very nice enviroment.
Residential Technician (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 6, 2016
great place to work. always have team work going on. The insurance is pretty good, even though the amount of money I make is an underpaying job and I dislike the pay cycle once a month but overall I enjoy working with the individuals and my co workers.
Money centered not client focused
TDT Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 4, 2016
working with the clients was amazing. Co-workers were awesome. Pay and executive leadership awful. Worked here for only 3 months and ran away fast.
Pros
Clients are amazing
Cons
Executive leadership
Disfunctional and micro managed but with no change!
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 24, 2016
I could write a book on how disfunctional this compay is. To be a Behavioral Health Organization you would think that upper management would care more about the patient care that is given and the mental health of their employees. The case load that the Case Managers are given is unreal. Most have 70 or more patients to see face to face monthly and with the amount of paperwork it's impossible. Why push for billing?? Horizon blames no raises for their employees for years now on their billing system. When employees find errors and report them nothing is done about it. Supervisors will bully and demean other employees and when employees put their notices in,it doesn't matter how long of a notice given or how valued of an employee they become invisible to certain supervisors. There are so many emcompetent employees /managers still employed at Horizon that daily make critical errors or that choose to not do their job costing the company thousands of dollars!Resulting in overall hardship for evey employee and nothing is done about it.
Pros
Paid holidays, vacation, sick time
Cons
If you take your sick time you are written up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horizon Behavioral Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8