Horizon Behavioral Health

Horizon Behavioral Health Employee Reviews in United States

A human services organization driven by billing.
Case Manager, Crisis and Day Treatment Clinician (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 3, 2015
In the beginning, I felt that the company did a good job of displaying that both the consumers and employees were of value, however, over the years it turned into a numbers game; as the quantity of the consumers seen was ordered to increase, the quality of the services provided decreased as expected. If you are not a part of upper management, you are more often than not wasting your breath voicing concerns. This company does a great job of making you feel heard, without taking any real action to address those concerns. It didn't used to be this way. Co-workers were typically easy to get along with, although there were groups that associated among themselves. Direct Supervisors were generally knowledgeable and willing to help when possible to catch up with them.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
This being a human services organization which needs to work on the human services piece.
Lousy place to work
Administration (Current Employee) –  Bedford, VAMay 27, 2016
This used to be a great place to work. The agency cared about clients and staff. Schedules were flexible and benefits were good. This is the past.

Now upper management only cares about money. The agency is task driven. High caseloads and low quality of care. Staff aren't treated like a valued asset. Staff are expendable. The turnover rate is high. If you enjoy being micromanaged then Horizon is for you!

You get sick leave but then get bullied when you use it. Managers decide guidelines and consequences at their discretion.

Communication between departments is lacking.

They warn us of impending layoffs yet continue hiring non billing, high paid staff. We did not receive raises last year. We were told that those who received exceeds on their evaluations would get a raise or a bonus. They never did either. The CEO does a good job of appearing to be "transparent" and caring about staff but does little to prove it.
Pros
Lower level staff band together and are good to work with.
Cons
high productivity standards but low quality of care, no continuing education, bullied for using earned leave
Stressful environment; overworked with little pay
Mental Health Clinician II (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 27, 2016
Skillful and highly educated employees continue to leave the agency at a rapid rate due to higher management, stressful work environment, and lack of support/structure within the agency. In addition, compensation is extremely low and salary is not commensurate with experience as clinician salaries vary significantly and some come in making more or less than others, without reason. The agency also does not seem to value higher education and overall will continue to lose valuable employees, unless major changes are made.
Disfunctional and micro managed but with no change!
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 24, 2016
I could write a book on how disfunctional this compay is. To be a Behavioral Health Organization you would think that upper management would care more about the patient care that is given and the mental health of their employees. The case load that the Case Managers are given is unreal. Most have 70 or more patients to see face to face monthly and with the amount of paperwork it's impossible. Why push for billing?? Horizon blames no raises for their employees for years now on their billing system. When employees find errors and report them nothing is done about it. Supervisors will bully and demean other employees and when employees put their notices in,it doesn't matter how long of a notice given or how valued of an employee they become invisible to certain supervisors. There are so many emcompetent employees /managers still employed at Horizon that daily make critical errors or that choose to not do their job costing the company thousands of dollars!Resulting in overall hardship for evey employee and nothing is done about it.
Pros
Paid holidays, vacation, sick time
Cons
If you take your sick time you are written up
Day treatment review
Clinician IV (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 20, 2016
The best part of working at Horizon Behavioral Health is the children and families. I have been employed at Horizon for six years and I don't see any improvement. I do not like the expectation to take work home with me, I am not given a lunch break, and I do not always feel supported by my supervisor. I have not received a raise in two years and I am a loyal employee. It's all about who you know and not a positive work ethic. In order to increase my salary I would have to leave and be rehired.
Too strict with new restrictions every day
Concurrent Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Camden County, NJMay 11, 2015
While the salary was good, the job was not what I had expected. The management became more and more strict every day, and I spent numerous hours on the phone. At first, I was allowed to approve many treatments, but as the company grew, our restrictions on who could and could not have higher level of treatments also grew, and I found myself denying more and more people the care that I felt that they did need, because of the company guidelines and rules. The company also did not allow certain treatment decisions for certain disorders, like eating disorders, to be made without a supervisors consent. I felt very restricted there and did not feel like I was helping people the way that I wanted to.
I am still friends with several of my coworkers and none of them are currently happy working for this company. I would not recommend this company as an employer to anyone.
Management was horrible!!!
Residential Technician (RT) (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, VAAugust 24, 2015
I loved working with the clients and my coworkers. Managment would use bully tactics to get staff out they clashed with. It wasn't about the care of the clients, but who would cater to the management. The pay and hours were good if you could deal with the politics.
Pros
3 days a week
Cons
Horrible management
Helping people
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 1, 2016
This organization has a committed goal of helping people who have many mental health and addiction illnesses. There is a professional atmosphere and co-workers tend to check on each others professional well-being.
Pros
Having successful outcomes in the lives of clients.
Cons
Dependent upon what team you're on, you may have to work on-call
Horizon BH is not invested in the well being of it's employees or clients. This is a stressful, unsupportive place to work.
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 22, 2016
Horizon is driven by ego and profit margins, with no management ethics or accountability. The agency culture is deeply conflicted, punitive, and unstable.

There is massive employee turnover. Sadly, dedicated staff are leaving in hordes: either voluntarily- due to the poor management, agency failures to follow thru with promised benefits, internal strife, or by being callously terminated by vindictive managers. Staff is regularly bullied, demoted, denied pay increases and/or professional development. Any issues or dissent is handled with an iron fist.

As a highly skilled and educated professional with more than 25 years in my field, I am aghast by Horizon's culture. "Better Together," the new slogan, is really just a Public Relations ploy.

Staff are stressed, suspicious, overworked, and burned out. Clients and families receive the end results, with inferior care and lots of mistakes, which are covered up due to liability.

Don't invest your career or trust in this company. There are reasons why there are always so many jobs available, and it isn't growth related.
Pros
None, managers expect full compliance and sacrifice from employees, and refuse to compensate for work and education related expenses, or provide increases for staff licensure.
Cons
Low pay, poor morale, financially driven to the detriment of well being, exceedingly poor internal and external client care, lack of ethics, long hours, demanding administration, employees are warned not to talk to others about agency strife.
Wonderful support from managers and coworkers
Mental Health Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 4, 2015
I have really enjoyed my experience working with Horizon. The support of staff members to help case managers meet goals is outstanding. The CEO consistently makes an effort to work with all employees to improve their work environment as possible
n/a
Residental Techinican (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VirginiaJune 24, 2015
I feel as thought Horizons was a decent company to work for as a whole, could use some fine tuning as far as management goes, but for the most part I enjoyed my employment and learned a lot.
very rewarding!
Residential Tech (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day at work is providing care for your clients. Management was great and also co-workers were great. Always could rely on your manager and co-worker.
Pros
benifits, rewarding with your clients, management.
Cons
paid once a month
Productive and fun workplace
Residential Support Provider (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 9, 2013
Assisting clients needs with whatever that may be, I have learned very much about not only medication, behavior, and learning to be involved, but also learned alot about the clients themselves. Management is good and will try their best to work with you with whatever that may be, along with my co-workers being very helpful and nice to work with which makes the environment very fun and enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is being only part time with full time hours which means I could work 10 days straight in a row at all different hours of the day which makes it extremely hard to get on any kind of a sleeping schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers and the clients we work with.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
work schedule
Very small office with great co-workers.
Mental Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  VAFebruary 21, 2013
Typical day - returning adult mental health client phone calls, work toward achieving set monetary billing goals, basic life counseling, linking to resources, contact with social services, food banks, probation, local reduced fee clinics.

What I learned - patience, that I enjoy directly working with adult mental health clients.

Co-workers - fantastic! always willing to help, bounce ideas off of each other, help each other, very pleasant personalities.

Hardest part - making monthly billing goal and following ever-changing management policies

Most enjoyable part - working with clients to support them where they and encourage growth.
Productive and direct workplace.
Therapeutic Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Southampton, PAFebruary 11, 2015
Horizon's is a very straight forward organization. They attempt to move kids in and out of treatment quickly to hopefully instill sufficient strategies for their parents once therapists are no longer working within the home. They are prompt with their paperwork, but not very communicative with the contractors. The typical day consists of traveling from one clients home to another and engaging them to interact with myself and the parents. The contractors do not typically work with any co-workers except possibly their close team members. The hardest part of this job is the uncertainty of the strategies being in place once you have left for your daily session.
Pros
developing a relationship with the children
Cons
no communication from the supervisors on a daily basis.
great job
Residential Support Provider (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 9, 2014
growth and earning potential is encoureaged. great benefits with this company
A positive, yet challenging position.
Day Treatment Clinician (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 10, 2014
My current position as Day Treatment Clinician is one that I thoroughly enjoy. I am currently placed at an elementary school, with 4th grade clients. Working in this position is very rewarding yet offers many challenges.This position has given me the opportunity to work with children who are diagnosis with a mental health disorder within the DSM-V, as well as have many obstacles within the home. I have developed a vast amount of knowledge in problem solving,and coping skills. Working in this position has taught me how to work on a team with many different personalities and abilities. I have a positive group of managers that offer support in every area possible. The hardest part of my job is working with children who have been abused or mistreated; however this is also one of the most enjoyable parts as well.
Great program that helps out the community
Family Advocate Partner (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 5, 2015
Families and Schools Together Program

Primary age students attend a weekly school program that promote healthy family skills.
Relaxed Environment
Adolescent Mentor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 30, 2013
I enjoy being a mentor for Horizon. Seeing the diversity within the company and how the counselors there help those of diverse culture, makes it that more interesting.
Pros
company vehicle usage
Cons
na
Great place to work.
Intensive In-Home Clinician (Former Employee) –  Campbell County and Lynchburg CityJune 2, 2015
I enjoyed my time working there. I really enjoyed working with, and becoming friends with my co-workers. The overall atmosphere made Horizon Behavioral Health a fun and exciting place to work.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Have to work nights and weekends.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horizon Behavioral Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8