Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Employee Reviews

Point-Of-Service
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 18, 2016
This product is one of the products sold by Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield NJ, I use to educate our Customers on claims, benefits, emails, via telephones.
Pros
I'm eager/motivated to work
Cons
No job
Good work environment
Recovery Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 1, 2016
Horizon, is a good place to work with great benefits and competitive salary. They provide a great work environment for their employees.
good place to work as a beginer nurse. a lot of pressure, but great compensation, lots of cases and long hours, I did not like the fact they have unio
Case Manager MLTSS (Former Employee) –  NJOctober 23, 2015
a lot of pressure, but great compensation, lots of cases and long hours, I did not like the fact they have union. Management is not very supportive. the union is not supportive.
Pros
good salary
Cons
long hours, weekends
overtly demanding
call center (Former Employee) –  Wall, NJNovember 7, 2015
A dream on paper, no nights or weekends and paid holidays, however training is brutal, expectations are very high, and there is no learning curve, in the end you are wearing a minimum of THREE hats for ONE entry level wage. Daily Metrics! you are under the proverbial microscope, lots of pressure to move fast NO THANKS! BUT If you are super fast on the PC with a natural technical apt, with ability to slip in and out of several SEVERAL mainframe and software systems simultaneously while documenting and researching then HEY this is your gig! you will need to manage a dozen passwords that change every 30 days (sometimes in mid corresponding) you will be titled member service rep, and they will tell you that you are to handle inquiries but what they don't tell you is how varied those inquiries are! you will need to quote everything from benefits to itemized premium rates, you will need to research and adjust claims, price and adjust edits, also apply payments, walk members through online options and more MUCH MUCH MORE but don't forget to dot every "I" and cross every "t" as this position contains highly sensitive and secured personal information...ahhh no pressure though
Pros
nurse prac on site, tiny gym
Cons
short breaks, demanding metrics
Great to get a direction in the work life.
Member Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 21, 2015
The company is good and so are the workers there all play a professional role but the hardest part is raises are not given as often as it should and compensation is not all that great.
Pros
discount on health coverage, 401k plan is great, lots of discounts on other activities
Cons
not enough raises or compensation, not enough overtime.
Challenging and constantly changing atmosphere, little job security.
Blue Cross Blue Shield Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOJune 6, 2016
typical work day- 8 hour days answering calls
learned- learned all the in-s and out-s of health insurance
management- typically seen caring hard working middle management, with unseen corporate management that made large company decisions not always popular
coworkers- direct surrounding atmosphere fun and engaging though work demand leaves little time to do more than work
hardest part of the job- being the contact point between a very large insurance company and often disgruntled members who are often suffering both major health issues and crippling debt at once.
best park of the job- Having the option to help people with issues and getting to go the extra mile to ensure a persons day goes from confused and scared to informed and purposeful in the resolution of their issues
Pros
Reliable schedule, decent pay
Cons
competitve corporate atmosphere, large pressure to performe
Great company for family oriented
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 15, 2015
Company has always been transforming in order to adapt to ever changing healthcare marketplace. Lots of changes all the time. Casual work environment. Strong management. Perfect work-life balance. Great for families or if you want to work from home. The compensation and advancement opportunities are less competitive than Cooperate America due to it's non for profit business model.
Pros
Strong management, perfect work-life balance, great for families, work from home, casual environment
Cons
Compensation, career advancement opportunities
excellent in health care
Managed Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wall, NJSeptember 23, 2015
I enjoy my job from management to my piers. I have learned so many numerous fields in the health care business. I have worked on the management side also, if you work hard its truly a fun great company to work for.
Pros
benefits days off
Cons
not having enough overtime
Great work life balance
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 5, 2016
The company is changing for the better. Work life balance is part of the company's culture. There are classes available to enhance skills.
Cons
Pay is not competitive
Robotic
Managed Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJJune 22, 2015
Unrealistic expectations in terms of production. You take provider calls and in between taking calls work faxes off fax server for authorization requests. Production total is 45 daily. Its hard to work a fax and have a call come in you have to stop the fax because you need to use the screen to work the call. unable to get out your seat it will mess up your adherence, work off a point system if you dont get 97% or better you could possibly loose your job. Way to much pressure not relaxing micromanaged. No flexibility in scheduling work 8am-5pm lunch for 1 hour, you go to lunch when they tell you each day lunch is different. lunch hours range from 11:30 - 12:30- 1:30. Unable to wear long skirts that flow, no open toe shoes, no capri even if there business attire. Very Very Very micromanaged you feel like a robot.
Pros
Ok pay and benefits
Cons
Micromanaged
productive environment
Provider Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 16, 2015
While working at Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield from to day was very busy with incoming calls from providers. The providers called to check the status of benefits for their patients and to inquire about claim payments. Some calls were pleasant and some were not. In dealing with providers I've learned patients, understanding, and never take anything personal. Some days when the call volume was at it's high: and if I could not provide excellent service, their were team leaders available to assist me or a more experienced co-worker. Working in a work place with some different personalities can be challenging, however I've learned to adapt and try to keep my focus on my daily responsibilities, which at time were not easy. Over all, horizon was a great company to work for ,along with their management team.
Pros
great health care benefits
Cons
short lunch breaks
Flexible and beneficial work enrinment
Test Analyst I (Current Employee) –  New jerseyAugust 11, 2015
I have been working at Horizon BCBNJ for about 7 years and I'm very satisfied. the facility offers plenty of great benefits to it's employees. Environment is very healthy friendly, the café offers great and delicious healthy options, as well as a free in site gym and private Walgreens where employees get 20% off all supplies and medications. There is a free out of cost in site nurse. The managers and employees are very respectful and friendly.
I love it here
Senior Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 15, 2015
Great company to work for . Generally staff is pleasant here. The office is clean and nice. I have no regrets joining this company.
Pros
Gym onsite, Education reimbursement, Great Benefits
Cons
Great place to work..great benefits package & salary!
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 29, 2016
I worked there for over 23 years. The benefits & salary are great. They have a great fitness center, daycare, ATM, beautiful cafeteria, Starbucks, and great places to sit & eat. Oh, not to mention on site medical care (RN Practioner & Labcorp). There are many departments so you can move around.
Pros
Great location
Very stable work environment. You will learn a lot
Claims Auditor II (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 24, 2016
I have worked for this company for 10 years. I received 6 months worth of training and felt very prepared and confident when it was time to perform. The expectations can be a little more stringent than some other insurance companies. But you will be trained properly.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Very political
Horizon
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 18, 2016
Prior to my involvement in my crime, I was a top employee with numerous highlights while working at Horizon. Almost all of my reviews were above reproach and with high regard from management and staff.

I was supervisor/lead for the staff at wall NJ location and had a great experience while there. was looking forward to retiring from Horizon until my problems away from work happened.
Very unprofessional
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJMay 2, 2016
This place is very unprofessional. Management lets employee's do whatever they want. There is no struture. Ladies there dress like they work in a strip club and alot of drama when working there. Security is horrible also very unprofessional. There has been argurements between co worker's and nothing is done. This place is unreal seems like a high school instead of a work place. All they want is the work done.
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
everything
Manage Care Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJune 16, 2016
This is a great company to work for but it depends where our department is. It is hard to advance, there are no perks in my dept and cannot work from home like everyone else. Every other dept is great. You can work from home, flexible schedules, child care, and gyms.
Pros
bonuses, benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
pay, work from home, no flexible
fast paced
Claims Pend Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wall, NJAugust 8, 2015
Fast paced enviroment. Consistently updating procedures to adhere to state and federal mandates. Availability to work from home.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, flexible start time, benefits within 30 days of starting, paid holidays and vacation immediately.
Cons
not a lot of room for advancement
Productive work place
Senior Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 4, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company there was definitely room for growth. The hours were great and there was an option for overtime. My supervisors were very easy to work for and my team was easy to work with, overall it was a great experience. The hardest part of the job would have been answering over 100 calls a day if all of colleagues weren't present. The most enjoyable part of my day was getting the job done with people that made it easy.
Pros
salary
Cons
work load

Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Reviews by Location