Horizon Elementary School Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Very hectic day - SLP spread way too thin
Graduate Student Clinician (Former Employee) –  Holt, MIOctober 12, 2017
My SLP supervisor was a wonderful, hardworking lady, but she was spread between multiple buildings. She was constantly juggling a large caseload with tons of IEP paperwork, IEP meetings, meeting with several small groups of children at a time. Then she would have to hop in her car and drive to yet another building and do the same all over again. It made me realize that being an SLP in the school setting was not for me.
Pros
Half-days, holidays, summers off
Cons
Large caseloads, multiple buildings, tons of IEP meetings and paperwork
Excelent school excelent stuff
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  IdahoJune 15, 2017
It was pleased to learn a new skills with solid experience and education were a acute kids learning process, family relations and staff development were I am become an immediate contributor to the team.
Pros
it was a challenge teaching kids in different levels of learning
Cons
Non
Student Teaching, but Great School
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Holt, MIApril 12, 2016
I have have a rather off-hand opinion of Horizon, but this is because I was a student teacher and not an actual employee. So, I had no income at Horizon, which was really difficult for me, but overall I loved the atmosphere of the school, the teachers, administration, and other faculty, and the children and their parents. I believe it was the best possible place for me to finish my student teaching, and it was a realistic environment for the potential teaching job I could have one day. I had a lot of different students, from different backgrounds, and all with different learning styles.
A family-like environment in the work place
Office Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Port Orange, FLApril 18, 2015
A good portion of my day is spent on payroll such as time sheets, leave requests, reports, invoices, spreadsheets, etc. I also spend the early morning hours locating substitute personnel as necessary. A day in a elementary school can change quite rapidly and due to the variety of my responsibilities, I must be able to prioritize and act quickly to comply with what is needed at that moment. Due to my previous experience working in the classroom, I am aware of the volume of work teachers contend with so I make every effort to assist them any way possible. As a result of this, they have given me their friendship and respect. The largest portion of my responsibilities require exactness with numbers. I enjoy the precision of this aspect having earned perfect campus inventory audits 6 years in a row.
Pros
Friendly office co-workers, small office working together for the benefit of the students and school
Cons
High stress, job duties not equitably distributed
Productive, fun, and exciting environment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLOctober 8, 2013
Prepare snacks and activites before my group arrives. I learned how to deal with a group of 20 children and how to always keep them busy. Management was awesome and my co-workers were like family. The job was pretty much easy. Coming to work everday and see my group and co-workers was the most enjoyable part.
Top notch educatin!
Fourth and Fifth Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IAMay 17, 2013
Every parent's dream elementary school! Excellent teachers, administrators and staff. One of the top districts in the state of Iowa.