Horizon Services Employee Reviews

Stay away if you liked to be paid for you efforts and love your family
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 23, 2017
Worked there for 9yrs. Started in maintenance and worked myself up to be a Service Technician. Enjoyed most of the employees there but felt like management was always out to get me. They fired some of the best and brightest techs in the state based on not meeting their standards to sell. Salesman were more important than technicians and are much more higher paid. I wanted to move from being a technician to a sales representative but wasn't given the opportunity to. I'm now a sales representative for a different company and have already brought in a million dollars of revenue in 6 months.

The management their is so full of themselves they can't see a good thing right in front of them.

if you are single with no one to look after but yourself and you would rather work than do anything else with your life this is the place for you.
Pros
Good techs and installers
Cons
Big headed managers (know it all techs) overworked and under payed
Excellent work enviroment
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJune 9, 2017
Horizon is a very fast paced call center, especially during extreme weather conditions. The company has a strong belief in providing the best to their customers. They also do many things to show appreciation to their employees. They provide family outings and office fun days. They are reasonable with bonuses and wages. The health benefits are the down fall because they are super expensive. You will learn a lot about HVAC and plumbing working here. The hardest part of the job is trying to stay calm when being told by a customer that you do not know anything because you are not a technician.
Pros
Employees perks
Cons
Not an easy place to work,
Technician (Former Employee) –  NJMay 8, 2017
This is a review of my job experience. There are some things that were left untold to me during the hiring process.

I was hired "Full Time". I always assumed full time meant 40 hours a week. At Horizon you are not guaranteed 40. In the short time I was there I had multiple weeks with 30 or less hours. A few times I would get up, put the uniform on, run a call and then would be sent home. Thus tying up 1/2 the day for 1 hour of pay.

I was told I would be working near my home. You are not paid for travel to your first call or home from your last. It might not seem like a big deal, but for me it was typically 2-1/2 hours and as many as 5 hours in a day. That doesn't seem "Near my home" to me.

There is no "quit time". 1 particular Friday, it was a long busy week, I was out on the road working for 12 hours. I'm thinking I'm going home to spend some time with my family. No, I'm driving an hour+ in traffic to do a $49 furnace inspection on a working furnace and then driving another hour+ home adding 3+ more hours to my day. I commonly found myself running these maintenance non-emergency calls in the evening and on my day off because that's when it was convenient for the customer .

The following week I find my name on a list sent out in a mass email indicating these employees "Have to give us something" because they were looking for "volunteers" to work the following weekend and I had not volunteered because I had plans. Apparently overtime is mandatory, something else I wasn't told.

Which leads me to my final issue. I have many years of service experience. I was not
  more... told 90% of the calls I would be running were maintenance calls geared toward generating sales leads.

Had I been told any of this, I would not have signed on. Here's what Horizon just doesn't get. They are constantly looking for techs due to a high turnover rate. As long as I've been in this trade, a good tech can find a job in hours. To replace a good tech can take months or longer. In my case, 2 days after I left Horizon I started a better job with better pay where I'm incredibly happy. The job is the complete opposite of Horizon. It costs a lot of money to acquire talent and train company procedures. So why not be upfront about the job and treat your people better?

My final thoughts, if you are a young guy who lives to work, you might like Horizon employment. The training is good and there's a lot of good people there. If you are at a stage in life where you value free and family time, its not going to be for you. And don't expect honesty during the hiring process, they will tell you whatever it takes to get you to sign on.
Pros
Training
Cons
To many to list
They talk a good game
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJMay 5, 2017
Worked here for almost a year doing anything and everything asked of me including working Christmas day, Thanksgiving day and weekends on call. Management pretended to value me so much so that they put me in charge of training new dispatchers, that they were paying more than me despite having no experience in the field. (I came here from working dispatch and logistics from Amazon). When I found out they were paying new hires more than the employees who had been there working holidays , weekends and overtime for years. I blew the whistle. Then they fired me. Turn about is fair play though, all their veteran dispatchers then quit and now they're stuck with inexperienced team members who make the techs and customers alike suffer the consequences. Oh, and they just got bought out because they couldn't maintain the promises they make in their commercials.
Pros
Listening to managers gossip, 401k
Cons
Everything else
If you like to work part time it's the place for you
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJApril 13, 2017
Full time status at part time hours
Upper management isn't the greatest
Would only maybe work a couple hours a day
Great benefits
On call is all manager discretion and is set up so top guys cannot be on it
Pros
Training
Cons
Managers
company
Drain Technician and Plumbing Helper (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAMarch 29, 2017
big company,big name, big expectations very expensive not really loyal to there employees but very loyal to customers, management tries there best to work with employees but upper management gets involved to much
fun workplace
Drove jobs and parts out to the sites as a driver (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 23, 2017
typical day is from 7-6, learned how to communicate better. management is great, workplace culture is diverse and funthe hardest part of my day would be waking up in the morning. the most enjoyable part of my job is helping others
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Cons
expensive healthcare
Liars
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Audubon, PAAugust 28, 2016
Do not work for them. Their non-compete is bull sh...t. They put it in with your insurance papers and don't even give you a chance to look at it before signing although it says you can get advice from a lawyer before signing it. Their contract has a flaw so they can't really do anything. It's all about sales not service at all.
Pros
They have a great training program.
Cons
Long hours.
Lost sight
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 12, 2016
Was here a couple of years and within that time, I had a chance to advance between a couple call center departments. I honestly loved doing what I did and the people that I work with but between the departments, I was able to see lots of flaws. They do not live up to advertising. The only time 'we're here when you need us' actually meant that was if you probably needed a new system. And since all the customer knows Horizon by is advertising, call center reps are the bad guys for having to tell them most of the time the exact opposite of what they see on TV. And we're told to. They will treat you to lunches, the DE Office yoga, a great holiday party, a summer company outing and more but they'll also schedule you to work long hours, multiple weekends a month and heavily heavily encourage and make you feel pressured to work overtime. People are constantly quitting and that's why the company is always hiring. There is also favoritism in every single department. Be aware- If you quit or get fired - you sign a 'non compete' contract when you're hired and will briefly be told about that you'll receive in the mail literally the next day after you're terminated/quit. It's the nicest threat that Horizon will take necessary legal action against you if they find out you work for another competing company in the industry within 2 years after your end date. Doesn't matter if you're a technician who's practiced the trade 30 years or a young college student at entry level who never received any technical training from the company. I think management has really lost sight of valuing customers  more... and employees.  less
Pros
Free lunch, lots of perks, great co workers
Cons
Don't value employees, pressured to work overtimes and hit numbers, no job security
They do not live up to their advertisements
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEAugust 5, 2016
Complete lack of communication, phone system is terrible, promises of advancement with each work load increase with only a followup, if you're lucky, of we're sorry we have to hire outside the company. They do stand behind their 100% satisfaction guarantee. But the technicians are pressured with arriving on time and over worked and getting the job done right the first time is occasional because of it. CEOs are more concerned with expansion and falling short on customer service. Employees are made to work through their breaks and ever since the company opened 24hrs their promise of working 1 weekend a month turned into you get 1 weekend off a month.
Pros
Monthly incentive offer
Cons
Rarely meet the quota for incentives, expensive benefits, managers only care about numbers not employees
no job security, poor dispatching and poor managment
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Oaks, PAJune 14, 2016
Hvac maintenance tech for almost 3yrs. everything is all about selling to the customer....the training you see they advertise......is all about selling to the customer. this job is NOT for a family man. you are forced to work very long hours with out knowing your schedule from day to day. dispatch is all messed up and basically your day ends when they say your done. Absolutely NO JOB SECURITY! be prepared to be a salesman FIRST.....then tech! the majority of the techs are good guys who are trained/brainwashed into selling things that aren't always needed in order meet the numbers they are required to hit everyday. any system over 10yrs old....your trained to convince the customer they need to replace their system. IF YOU DONT HIT THE QUOTA........NO JOB FOR YOU!
Pros
overtime, bonus evey month (for selling things)
Cons
no job security, extremely long hours, expensive benefits
yearly events are nice
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Audubon, PAJune 2, 2016
Glad to have had a job, no room for growth, but plenty of events to participate in. Not impressed. Poor communication and poor benefits that all top management can afford and not so affordable for everyone else. No sick time little vacation.
not a technical company
HVAC tech (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 25, 2016
your co-workers are great from the warehouse to the service techs. managment is awesome, when youre selling but they threaten your job daily when youre not. people were getting fired left and right when it was the hardest winter we have had in years, 70 deegres on christman. 95% of the training is on sales and how to sell a product.
Pros
events
Cons
no job security
Worked long hours
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, ORMarch 8, 2016
Found a lot of errors with documentation, had to work long hours, for months I did not receive any days off, I hardly got to spend any time with my children. because of the long unpredictable hours I had to pay a lot out of pocket for daycare. sometimes understaffed. Not enough supplies, not very good communication between staff.
Horrible place of employment Scams customers
plumber (Former Employee) –  DelawareDecember 20, 2015
Was a plumber for this disgusting establishment for 3 years. The primarily scam customers to thinking they need to purchase a 10,000 dollar unit when clearly a minor part is broken.
Pros
Cons
pay, benefits, scams
Excellent workplace and relaxed vibe
Shipyard Welder (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 9, 2015
Productive workplace, but not too strenuous. Coworkers were very fun to be around and work with. They helped cultivate your skills and help you grow as a person.
Pros
Safe work enviroment
Cons
Business couldn't stay open
Productive and fun work place.
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 17, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
No job security nor enough work to survive with a family.
Installer (Former Employee) –  norristown, paNovember 13, 2015
Good for a bachelor not for someone with a family. The company has no regards for their employees. I got evicted due to horizon services and not having work.
great work environment
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2015
great work place safe and friendly atmosphere great for work development and communication between management and employee and helped improve work skills
Customers
Dispatcher& Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJOctober 26, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing the customers with exceptional experience and making the customers happy.