Hormel Foods Employee Reviews

Decent place to work
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNJanuary 15, 2017
PRO: Difficulty of the job and the opportunity to advance and make a good living (compensation and benefits).

CON: No work/life balance, promotions were really seniority based with limited differentiation in performance.
Pros
Difficulty of the job, opportunity to advance and make a good living (compensation and benefits).
Cons
Great earnings and benefits; "good ole boys"
Quality Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNDecember 5, 2016
The company offers a great compensation and benefits package. However, workplace diversity and work-life balance are awful. Because I worked in quality, I was not one of the most well-liked employees. My responsibilities sometimes cost the company time and money.
Great income but minimal time off.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Osceola, IAOctober 18, 2016
Very long hours, also you will work a lot of 6-7 days a week. They do pay out a bonus based on performance, which you will be able to follow. Upper management will provide opportunities for learning and areas of coaching to make you better.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
60 hours a week or more.
Changing Culture
Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNFebruary 13, 2017
Outstanding company with a change in leadership that brings with it a cultural shift. A historically conservative company with a lack of diversity, the corporation is attempting to alter the composition of its workforce overnight, setting diversity goals at all levels of the company and increasingly hiring from the outside rather than following its traditional promote-from-within culture.
productive, friendly enviroment
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 19, 2016
made sure all maintenance schedules for machines was complete. able to build and make improvements in equipment as soon as routine maintenance was complete. was compensated for performing extra duties. learned a'lot about packaging machines and conveyors excellent managers. and knowledgeable employees. hardest part of the job was swing shift every week 1st 2nd and 3rd shift.the most enjoyable part of the job was working in different departments on different machines
Pros
benefits, insurance and profit sharing
Cons
swing shift every week
Fast pace &fun
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEMarch 23, 2017
Typical day would start out preparing the days inventory, numbers of containers to fill,products to source out, operating computers & scales to weigh products,prepping ship out totes ,constantly monitoring products, alot of mathematical problem solving meaning adding & subtracting of weighted finished products.
Pros
Great benefits & compensation
Cons
Short breaks
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 21, 2017
Great place to work, exceptional benefits package, sales must relocate so that can be tough, but overall everyone was very helpful, supportive, willing to listen, and truly cared.
Pros
Tastings often, input listened to
Cons
Relocation if you have a family
Good Company, Poor Work Life Balance
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rochelle, ILMarch 8, 2017
The company will take care of you by paying you well, allowing relocation if jobs exist, ability to explore other opportunities within the company. However, poor work life balance.
Overall a good company
Quality and Process Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNJanuary 5, 2017
Good people and place to learn and advance. Employees are rewarded for good performance and the benefits the company provides are awesome. Sometimes has a large corporate feel that can be intimidating and can hinder communication.
Good pay and OK benefits
Maintenance Specialist/Sanitation (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIAugust 24, 2016
good job. if new you will most likely get forced to work 15 hour days or nights and forced in on weekends. other then that good pay and ok benefits. profit sharing after a year
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Management top heavy
Good company to work for with great benefit packages!
General Worker (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNOctober 31, 2016
All of the jobs are pretty easy to handle. Hormel cares about their employees by having the local union to represent them. Some of the benefits that Hormel offers are bonuses, 401k with company matching, and insurance.
Pros
Free monthly lunches for meeting safety goals.
Cons
Employees with seniority tend to be lazy.
fast paced, good benefits
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, IAMarch 9, 2017
fast paced working environment with good benefits. long work weeks almost always working 6 if not 7 days a week up to 10 hour days. paid vacation and holidays
Non-productive. Alot of time is waisted because machines constantly break down.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WISeptember 21, 2016
The Beloit plant needs to be revised. Management are rude and disrespectful, especially to the new hires. They have a high turn over rate due to people being mistreated.
Pros
They always have overtime available so you can make good money.
Cons
Rude supervisors, No outside life, 15 hour days
Interesting, good people
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNNovember 14, 2016
My job at Hormel was interesting, I enjoyed the people i worked with very much. The work life balance was a little too much. Having to work weekends a lot.
A Company that actually cares about their employees.
Extruder Operator (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEFebruary 19, 2016
Starting up my machines. Getting the product to come out looking perfect. Making sure the hopper is full at all times. The weight had to be dead on. At the end of the shift we had to tear down and wash some of the equipment. I learned that without proper tools people could get seriously hurt. Management would do anything they could to help/work out any problems I had. As long as I kept them informed. Everybody did their job and would still help out in the other sections when time permitted. The hardest part was trying to figure out all the different variables to make everything work out! Wether or not if we put out more product than 1st shift did not matter to me. It was when we met our quota and teared everything down within our time limit! That was what made my day!
Pros
Benifits, free meals during holidays
Cons
No ride can not keep job
Great place to experience great work ethics and helps you communicate well with others.
General Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNMarch 6, 2017
Hormel can help you learn ways to work alone or in groups. In a group each person has a responsibility. Also managers and supervisors are also very helpful there, which makes them easier to talk to.
Productive, healthy environment
Security and Compliance Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNSeptember 16, 2016
Enjoy working at this company. Great products and great people! Open communication between departments and management.
Very challanging
Human Resource Liaison (Former Employee) –  Melrose, MNFebruary 20, 2017
I have enjoyed working and helping people understand the policies of the Human Resource Department. At times it was tough and challenging position due to the fact that I had to make decision that I personally won't approve.
PLANT ENGINEERING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNFebruary 12, 2017
Worked as an intern on different projects for 6 months. Gained an overall knowledge of plant engineering. Overall a great experience.
Great Employees
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bremen, GAFebruary 5, 2017
I enjoyed working with my fellow Maintenance Employees. The department has a wide variety of knowledge and we had a strong working relationship/bond.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hormel Foods. Our community is ready to answer.