Horry County Schools Employee Reviews in United States

IN my mind- a model middle school
MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Little River, SCJune 12, 2016
We were all held to high expectations and took our responsibility to our students seriously.
Our administration was always at our disposal and watched "our backs" at all times.
I was proud to be a member of this school team and appreciated all that I learned and practiced.
Productive and fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 1, 2016
I enjoyed working with all ages of children. I like working one-on-one with the children. Management and co-workers were friendly. A typical work day- performed the permanent teacher's lesson plans and duties.
Pros
Flexible work schedule.
Difficult Job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCDecember 12, 2015
Unless you like waking up at the crack of dawn and driving this is difficult job! Bus drivers have little to no control of how students are disciplined for infractions on the bus. Sometimes a unruly student is taken off the bus but no more than a total of a few weeks during the entire school year
One of Horry counties largest employers.
Assistant Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCFebruary 15, 2016
Excellent place to work, but limited advancement opportunities. Hours are always the same and no weekend duties unless warranted because of inclement weather.
Its the beach
Assistant Football Coach, Conway High School (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCMarch 1, 2016
Was pleased overall with the county. It is very large. Wouldn't recommend working in a few of the towns not within 30 minutes of the beach.
Pros
BEACH BEACH BEACH
It takes a special person to work with Special Needs and the Disabled
Special Needs Bus Driver/School Aide (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCSeptember 29, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles on the children faces when they see you coming to pick them up from class for their bus ride home.
Schools vibrant with learning
Substitute Teacher, Long-Term and Day Substitute (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 28, 2015
I most enjoyed watching the eyes of students as they finally grasp a concept they had often struggled with. I learned to have lots of patience with myself and to be flexible. I also learned more about the unconditional love of children. The hardest part of the job is walking into a new school and classroom and not having complete lesson plans, and then having to figure out what to do. A typical day at work included arriving to school at 7:00 or 7:15 am, greeting the students, teaching the lessons and following our daily schedule,.
Pros
Being able to learn and teach at the same time, having a M-F daytime schedule, with holidays off
Cons
No pay during the summer, fairly low pay rates, compared to other jobs that require a college education
Love it
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCNovember 7, 2015
Great place to work if you enjoy working with children and want to make a difference in their lives. There are great benefits and insurance available.
Bus Driver
Bus Driver and Mid-Day Employee (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 18, 2015
Transported students to and from school and other special events. Ensured adherence to safety rules and assisted passengers in boarding or exiting as needed. Worked in school or anywhere they needed me from Personnel Department to the schools.
Pros
Benifits and pay
Cons
Burnt out from stress
Assistant Principal
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Little River, SCJuly 2, 2015
It is very easy to work with the principal of the school and the system is focused on developing leadership within the schools. The AP works closely with students, teachers, and faculty.
Pros
Respected professionals
Cons
Outside duties can get a bit cold
I am lucky enough to say, I Love my Job!
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Garden City, SCJanuary 11, 2015
I love working with children. I love my job. Horry County is a good district to work for. I always learn something and enjoy learning something new. I have great co-workers. I am able to say my school principal is my mentor. We also have a great vice principal.
Pros
i get to do what i love
Cons
the pay isn't the best, i am looking for a 2nd job in the afternoons.
Excellent work environment
ISS Aide/Behavioral Coach (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCApril 20, 2015
Its great working with students throughout the day. I enjoy and have wonderful co-workers. The job has excellent benefits and vacations but just the salary. Job doesn't pay well at all.
Professional enviornment that requires constant training and professional development.
Lead Clinical Counselor (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCOctober 4, 2014
A typical day at work starts with greeting the children and parents to school, conducting team planning/meeting, engaging in group counseling sessions with identified grade levels, performing scheduled individual counseling sessions, attending staff meetings with school administrators, and completing required clinical documentation.

The work day consist of 8hrs, and each task is broken down throughout the day by a posted schedule. In the school environment I have learned to be the constant, dependable, and professional. My co-workers were friendly, nice, and helpful.
Pros
professional development and training
Had to be very flexible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJuly 25, 2014
Being a substitute teacher you have to be very flexible and adapt quickly. Sometimes calls will come in as early as 4:00a.m. and you never know where the call may lead or what classification. It taught me how to be more responsible, flexible and patience. I really enjoy working with the children especially the special needs children. The job is very challenging but very enjoyable.
Active throughout the day, continous work, smiling faces, assistance if needed, end of the day, tasks are completed. workers work together
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Aynor, South CarolinaApril 3, 2014
I have a non-stressful day in which I handle several duties which include delivering mail to teachers, cleaning 12 to 13 restrooms per day, setting up tables for events, assisting co-workers when needed, I take pride in reviewing my tasks and seeing that the job is completed.My co-workers are very dedicated, hard-working individual that I appreciate their willingness to work as a team.
Pros
working together
Cons
short breaks, being on call
Diversity for a Sub.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCFebruary 10, 2014
Great place for the incorporation of diversity and working with extremely different people. Affords the ability to working with children from varied social/economic backgrounds. Would be idea for someone looking to go into education (can start as Substitute). The culture of every school is different, I had both good & bad (staff & the children).
Pros
work with any grade, flexible, opprotunity to learn something new
Cons
short notice (5am-7am call-ins)
On Merry go Round , Lots Of fun, would like to win the brass ring
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  SCJuly 24, 2014
Arrive ahead of time to organize self and greet co-workers and students with a smile.
You are responsible for not only teaching but safety at all times, which include staying healthy and alert at all times.
Management is there to effectively communicate any changes in students and or schedule and hopefully for peer support if an issue should arise. Also able to establish a team for suggestions if they solve a problem or dilemma.
The hardest part of the job is trying to keep informed from management, too much noise to clearly hear pa announcements and not always have the time to check emails throughout day.
The most enjoyable part of the day is when you are satisfied with the lessons taught either 1-1 or to a class or even to a peer.
Pros
life balance schedule
Cons
working lunches, taking the bus
Opportunity to work with middle/high students
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCSeptember 10, 2012
Typical day starts with backpack checks as students go through metal detectors.

Middle/High Schools affords opportunity to stay current on what they are studying.

Sometimes classes can be challenging because the students constantly try the substitutes patience.

Tremendous support from Principal to office to co-workers.

Hardest part is 25 minutes for lunch..........but planning periods give you a chance to relax a few minutes.
Pros
working with our future, time left at end of day for volunteer work, exercise
Cons
short lunch
Interesting and inlightening
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCNovember 27, 2013
My day starts at 6am, I pick up middle school students and take them to school. Then I go to the district office and do data entry for the medical office. After lunch I pick up the elementary students and take them home. Then I pick up at the high school and the middle school and take them home. My day ends at 5:30pm. You learn to keep your cool and how to deal with kids from all kinds of homes. The management tries to help you learn the children and how to handle them. The hardest part of the job is trying to not get too close to the kids. You can't let your feelings get in the way of your job. The enjoyable part is the hugs at the end of the day and knowing you may have helped a child.
Pros
field trips that are paid for and eating out.
Cons
the pay is spread out to cover you over the summer and it doesen't pay the bills.
It was Rewarding
Substitute Teacher / Aide (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCApril 3, 2012
I worked as Subsititute Teacher/Aid in mutliple Elementary Schools. I worked in the Child Development through Fifth Grade along with Special Needs. My co-workers were very helpful if I had any questions on any of the assignments the other teacher left. I enjoyed working with the students and the other teachers. I worked with children with Special Needs as well.
Pros
helping others

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horry County Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5