Horry County Schools Employee Reviews

Loving and full-spirited place to work.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Conway, SC 29526May 11, 2017
Horry County Schools employs hard-working, dedicated individuals. The environment is evident that the children are the top priority. The hardest part of the job is constant change. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you affect change in a child's life.
Bus driver/Mid day employee
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Socastee, SCMarch 27, 2017
A typical day starts rather early, of course, having to be up in the morning to prepare and inspect your bus before picking up the children. This is not an easy job. It takes a LOT of patience to deal with 50-70 kids by yourself in a small confined space. You must be able to concentrate on the road, as well as to be sure the students are safe and following the rules.

The medical benefits and retirement are okay. Quite a bit is taken out of your check to cover them. Your 180-day pay 7.5 hour/daily is spread throughout the year, so between your benefits being taken out it can leave you with a lot less in your bank account. That being said, I think Horry County is one of the few counties that pay their bus drivers decent, considering a lot of counties only pay their bus drivers minimum wage and only driving time.

I also work within the schools during my mid-day to cover my whole 7.5 hour per day. It varies per driver and per route.

I have been very diligently working on trying to advance within the schools, but I find that its hard for a lot of drivers to get out of the transportation dept. This can be due to the district having trouble finding drivers.

The time off is great, having off whenever the students are off, but it also means your pay is low because of it. A lot of drivers supplement their pay by working in the summer time, which helps.

Supervisors are fair, and any grievances or problems are handled pretty well.

Sick time and personal time is also very nice. 9 days per year sick leave, and 2 personal days per year.

Overall, the job can
  more... be tough, but the benefits are rewarding.  less
Pros
Decent benefits, time off, paid sick leave
Cons
Hard to advance out of transportation, not an easy job.
Love school nursing
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCFebruary 9, 2017
A typical day would consist of implementing care plans, providing direct treatment to students/ staffs. Prepared for emergencies at any moment. Liaison for students and families. Administering medication as ordered.
Pros
wonderful job! Helping someone everyday
Cons
none at this moment
Good for those not needing benefits or advancement
Volunteer/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 22, 2017
You usually have to sign in well in advance of your scheduled (paid) time. It is fun working with children of all ages. The teachers usually (but not always) leave detailed lesson plans. Grade school subs get 40-50 min. break (planning period)as the kids are in Specials. Depending on the Middle School (some will make you work during planning period) you can have up to 2 hour break. The kids do like to take control over subs. Schools do not hire from the substitute pool for full time positions. Fun working at different schools and with the kids. you do learn a lot from the kids and keep up on what the going trend is.
Pros
set your own availability
Cons
no room for advancement
Busy and Productive
Paraprofessional/ABA Therapist (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 19, 2017
I love my job but I just do not get paid enough for what I love to do. The benefits are great and I love having the Summer and Holidays off. Management is great. The hardest part of the job is dealing with people who are not flexible when you are trying to accommodate a child with special needs. The enjoyable part of my job is seeing the results of my therapy helping a child with special needs make it through a school day happy and confident.
Pros
Summers and Holidays off
Cons
Not paid enough
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 13, 2017
Worked as a cafeteria aide
Prepared and served elementary school breakfast and lunches
Balance register at end of day and daily bank deposits
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Busy fast pace.
Excellent environment
JV Head Soccer Coach / Assistant Varsity Coach (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 4, 2017
Enjoy everyday being part of the soccer program. Learning leadership and coaching the players/students my knowledge of the game is what drives me to expand my leadership skills the most. The management between the varsity head coach and the Athletic Director is professional and very organized. I thoroughly enjoy being part of the Horry County School's staff.
Pros
Watching the players become better at the game, and move to the next level.
well organized school district
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCDecember 31, 2016
Horry County Schools is a well organized school district. They manage majority of what it takes to run a school district instead of outsourcing the positions. They manage their own bus system as well as substitute staffing system. They compensate your time as a teacher better then other districts around them.
Productive Evidence Based Education
1 Spec. Ed. Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCSeptember 28, 2016
Have enjoyed my time here. Typical day for a SpEd Parapro is 7.5 hours, and I stay very busy. I've had the opportunity to work with, and learn from, a diverse group of students and employees, with an overall well-balanced job culture. Hardest part of the job is the unpredictable nature of working with students with Special Needs. This is, however, also the most rewarding part of the job.
Pros
Predictable schedule (week to week), benefits, students are great.
Dedicated to the children
Clerk V (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJuly 12, 2016
Hit the ground running daily. Children are first and foremost. Great hours. Community oriented. Comfortable atmosphere. Open door policy
IN my mind- a model middle school
MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Little River, SCJune 12, 2016
We were all held to high expectations and took our responsibility to our students seriously.
Our administration was always at our disposal and watched "our backs" at all times.
I was proud to be a member of this school team and appreciated all that I learned and practiced.
Productive and fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 1, 2016
I enjoyed working with all ages of children. I like working one-on-one with the children. Management and co-workers were friendly. A typical work day- performed the permanent teacher's lesson plans and duties.
Pros
Flexible work schedule.
Its the beach
Assistant Football Coach, Conway High School (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCMarch 1, 2016
Was pleased overall with the county. It is very large. Wouldn't recommend working in a few of the towns not within 30 minutes of the beach.
Pros
Beach beach beach
One of Horry counties largest employers.
Assistant Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCFebruary 15, 2016
Excellent place to work, but limited advancement opportunities. Hours are always the same and no weekend duties unless warranted because of inclement weather.
Difficult Job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCDecember 12, 2015
Unless you like waking up at the crack of dawn and driving this is difficult job! Bus drivers have little to no control of how students are disciplined for infractions on the bus. Sometimes a unruly student is taken off the bus but no more than a total of a few weeks during the entire school year
Love it
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCNovember 7, 2015
Great place to work if you enjoy working with children and want to make a difference in their lives. There are great benefits and insurance available.
It takes a special person to work with Special Needs and the Disabled
Special Needs Bus Driver/School Aide (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCSeptember 29, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles on the children faces when they see you coming to pick them up from class for their bus ride home.
Assistant Principal
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Little River, SCJuly 2, 2015
It is very easy to work with the principal of the school and the system is focused on developing leadership within the schools. The AP works closely with students, teachers, and faculty.
Pros
Respected professionals
Cons
Outside duties can get a bit cold
Schools vibrant with learning
Substitute Teacher, Long-Term and Day Substitute (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 28, 2015
I most enjoyed watching the eyes of students as they finally grasp a concept they had often struggled with. I learned to have lots of patience with myself and to be flexible. I also learned more about the unconditional love of children. The hardest part of the job is walking into a new school and classroom and not having complete lesson plans, and then having to figure out what to do. A typical day at work included arriving to school at 7:00 or 7:15 am, greeting the students, teaching the lessons and following our daily schedule,.
Pros
Being able to learn and teach at the same time, having a M-F daytime schedule, with holidays off
Cons
No pay during the summer, fairly low pay rates, compared to other jobs that require a college education
Bus Driver
Bus Driver and Mid-Day Employee (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 18, 2015
Transported students to and from school and other special events. Ensured adherence to safety rules and assisted passengers in boarding or exiting as needed. Worked in school or anywhere they needed me from Personnel Department to the schools.
Pros
Benifits and pay
Cons
Burnt out from stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horry County Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4