Horry County Schools

Horry County Schools Employer Reviews

Professional enviornment that requires constant training and professional development.
Lead Clinical Counselor (Former Employee), Conway, SCOctober 4, 2014
Pros: professional development and training
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work starts with greeting the children and parents to school, conducting team planning/meeting, engaging in group counseling sessions with identified grade levels, performing scheduled individual counseling sessions, attending staff meetings with school administrators, and completing required clinical documentation.

The work day consist – more... of 8hrs, and each task is broken down throughout the day by a posted schedule. In the school environment I have learned to be the constant, dependable, and professional. My co-workers were friendly, nice, and helpful. – less
Fun and enjoyable working in the workplace
Interventionist Aide (Former Employee), North, SCJuly 28, 2014
Pros: making a difference for children in education
Cons: pay, and not enough space
Excellent and rewarding working with kids. the most enjoyable part about this job was seeing the excitement on a child's face when they know they have made gains or met their goals. Co- workers were helpful.
Had to be very flexible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Conway, SCJuly 25, 2014
Being a substitute teacher you have to be very flexible and adapt quickly. Sometimes calls will come in as early as 4:00a.m. and you never know where the call may lead or what classification. It taught me how to be more responsible, flexible and patience. I really enjoy working with the children especially the special needs children. The job is very – more... challenging but very enjoyable. – less
On Merry go Round , Lots Of fun, would like to win the brass ring
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee), SCJuly 24, 2014
Pros: life balance schedule
Cons: working lunches, taking the bus
Arrive ahead of time to organize self and greet co-workers and students with a smile.
You are responsible for not only teaching but safety at all times, which include staying healthy and alert at all times.
Management is there to effectively communicate any changes in students and or schedule and hopefully for peer support if an issue should arise. – more... Also able to establish a team for suggestions if they solve a problem or dilemma.
The hardest part of the job is trying to keep informed from management, too much noise to clearly hear pa announcements and not always have the time to check emails throughout day.
The most enjoyable part of the day is when you are satisfied with the lessons taught either 1-1 or to a class or even to a peer. – less
Great District
Technology Aide, Midland Elementary School (Current Employee), Conway, SCApril 30, 2014
I enjoy working for the district however I am a certified teacher and I am in an Aide position. District only pays me aide pay when I am qualifed to make certified teacher pay, I think this is unfair.
Active throughout the day, continous work, smiling faces, assistance if needed, end of the day, tasks are completed. workers work together
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee), Aynor, South CarolinaApril 3, 2014
Pros: working together
Cons: short breaks, being on call
I have a non-stressful day in which I handle several duties which include delivering mail to teachers, cleaning 12 to 13 restrooms per day, setting up tables for events, assisting co-workers when needed, I take pride in reviewing my tasks and seeing that the job is completed.My co-workers are very dedicated, hard-working individual that I appreciate – more... their willingness to work as a team. – less
Interesting and inlightening
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Conway, SCNovember 27, 2013
Pros: field trips that are paid for and eating out.
Cons: the pay is spread out to cover you over the summer and it doesen't pay the bills.
My day starts at 6am, I pick up middle school students and take them to school. Then I go to the district office and do data entry for the medical office. After lunch I pick up the elementary students and take them home. Then I pick up at the high school and the middle school and take them home. My day ends at 5:30pm. You learn to keep your cool and – more... how to deal with kids from all kinds of homes. The management tries to help you learn the children and how to handle them. The hardest part of the job is trying to not get too close to the kids. You can't let your feelings get in the way of your job. The enjoyable part is the hugs at the end of the day and knowing you may have helped a child. – less
No day is the same...
GCDF/Press Rep (Former Employee), Conway, SCSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: professional development opportunities
Cons: assuming every employee will bring equal dedication
The variance of day to day activties is the best part of a job. I enjoy interacting with an abundance of people to problem-solve, analyze, and create new solutions for new challenges. In addition, it it also rewarding to celebrate goals met and innovative implementations.
Gave lesson plan and Observed behavor of students
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Conway, SCAugust 30, 2013
Pros: worked with children
Worked with children until teacher returned. made lesson plans followed lesson plans, made sure students stayed focus until teacher returned.
I enjoyed being a substitute teacher for Horry County Schools.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Conway, SCAugust 26, 2013
It was great for me at that time. I loved every minute of it. The school year ended and I never applied for the following year because I decided to go back to school.
Excellent workplace
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCMay 19, 2013
Pros: free breakfast and good lunch
Cons: 45 minute-class period
Perhaps the most exciting experience ever had in my teaching life. A school where most parents were involve in their kids education.The administrators were fondly and supportive
Wonderful environment for teaching and learning.
Art Teacher (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 10, 2013
Taught six classes to students in middle school averaging 179 students daily.
The hardest part of the job was getting ALL students motivated at the same time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the student realize that he was able to execute a strong, visual work of art.
Opportunity to work with middle/high students
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Conway, SCSeptember 10, 2012
Pros: working with our future, time left at end of day for volunteer work, exercise
Cons: short lunch
Typical day starts with backpack checks as students go through metal detectors.

Middle/High Schools affords opportunity to stay current on what they are studying.

Sometimes classes can be challenging because the students constantly try the substitutes patience.

Tremendous support from Principal to office to co-workers.

Hardest part is 25 minutes – more... for lunch..........but planning periods give you a chance to relax a few minutes. – less
I worked for HCS for four years.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 20, 2012
Pros: structured environment
Cons: mountainous paperwork
A typical day was 6:40 am-2:45 am. Co-workers were an asset and an essential/integral part of the team effort. The hardest part of the job was the paperwork, and the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students learning and growing each day.
Review
substitute teacher (Former Employee), SCAugust 7, 2012
Pros: good pay per diem, friendly and cooperative people
Cons: just per diem, not enough calls
I was not called enough but when I did substitute I was impressed by how cooperative the staff in the schools could be . Also, the teachers that I subbed for left excellent plans and materials for me to use.
It was Rewarding
Substitute Teacher / Aide (Former Employee), Conway, SCApril 3, 2012
Pros: helping others
I worked as Subsititute Teacher/Aid in mutliple Elementary Schools. I worked in the Child Development through Fifth Grade along with Special Needs. My co-workers were very helpful if I had any questions on any of the assignments the other teacher left. I enjoyed working with the students and the other teachers. I worked with children with Special Needs – more... as well. – less