Horry County Schools Employee Reviews

Productive Evidence Based Education
1 Spec. Ed. Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCSeptember 28, 2016
Have enjoyed my time here. Typical day for a SpEd Parapro is 7.5 hours, and I stay very busy. I've had the opportunity to work with, and learn from, a diverse group of students and employees, with an overall well-balanced job culture. Hardest part of the job is the unpredictable nature of working with students with Special Needs. This is, however, also the most rewarding part of the job.
Pros
Predictable schedule (week to week), benefits, students are great.
Dedicated to the children
Clerk V (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJuly 12, 2016
Hit the ground running daily. Children are first and foremost. Great hours. Community oriented. Comfortable atmosphere. Open door policy
IN my mind- a model middle school
MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Little River, SCJune 12, 2016
We were all held to high expectations and took our responsibility to our students seriously.
Our administration was always at our disposal and watched "our backs" at all times.
I was proud to be a member of this school team and appreciated all that I learned and practiced.
Productive and fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 1, 2016
I enjoyed working with all ages of children. I like working one-on-one with the children. Management and co-workers were friendly. A typical work day- performed the permanent teacher's lesson plans and duties.
Pros
Flexible work schedule.
Its the beach
Assistant Football Coach, Conway High School (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCMarch 1, 2016
Was pleased overall with the county. It is very large. Wouldn't recommend working in a few of the towns not within 30 minutes of the beach.
Pros
BEACH BEACH BEACH
One of Horry counties largest employers.
Assistant Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCFebruary 15, 2016
Excellent place to work, but limited advancement opportunities. Hours are always the same and no weekend duties unless warranted because of inclement weather.
Difficult Job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCDecember 12, 2015
Unless you like waking up at the crack of dawn and driving this is difficult job! Bus drivers have little to no control of how students are disciplined for infractions on the bus. Sometimes a unruly student is taken off the bus but no more than a total of a few weeks during the entire school year
Love it
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCNovember 7, 2015
Great place to work if you enjoy working with children and want to make a difference in their lives. There are great benefits and insurance available.
It takes a special person to work with Special Needs and the Disabled
Special Needs Bus Driver/School Aide (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCSeptember 29, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles on the children faces when they see you coming to pick them up from class for their bus ride home.
Assistant Principal
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Little River, SCJuly 2, 2015
It is very easy to work with the principal of the school and the system is focused on developing leadership within the schools. The AP works closely with students, teachers, and faculty.
Pros
Respected professionals
Cons
Outside duties can get a bit cold
Schools vibrant with learning
Substitute Teacher, Long-Term and Day Substitute (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 28, 2015
I most enjoyed watching the eyes of students as they finally grasp a concept they had often struggled with. I learned to have lots of patience with myself and to be flexible. I also learned more about the unconditional love of children. The hardest part of the job is walking into a new school and classroom and not having complete lesson plans, and then having to figure out what to do. A typical day at work included arriving to school at 7:00 or 7:15 am, greeting the students, teaching the lessons and following our daily schedule,.
Pros
Being able to learn and teach at the same time, having a M-F daytime schedule, with holidays off
Cons
No pay during the summer, fairly low pay rates, compared to other jobs that require a college education
Bus Driver
Bus Driver and Mid-Day Employee (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 18, 2015
Transported students to and from school and other special events. Ensured adherence to safety rules and assisted passengers in boarding or exiting as needed. Worked in school or anywhere they needed me from Personnel Department to the schools.
Pros
Benifits and pay
Cons
Burnt out from stress
Excellent work environment
ISS Aide/Behavioral Coach (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCApril 20, 2015
Its great working with students throughout the day. I enjoy and have wonderful co-workers. The job has excellent benefits and vacations but just the salary. Job doesn't pay well at all.
love working with children
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Conway SCJanuary 28, 2015
The most enjoyable about of my job is traveling to various schools working with all different races of children.
Pros
earning a paycheck
Cons
no benefits and know job security
I am lucky enough to say, I Love my Job!
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Garden City, SCJanuary 11, 2015
I love working with children. I love my job. Horry County is a good district to work for. I always learn something and enjoy learning something new. I have great co-workers. I am able to say my school principal is my mentor. We also have a great vice principal.
Pros
I get to do what I love
Cons
The pay isn't the best, I am looking for a 2nd job in the afternoons.
Part time work on call
Elementary Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCDecember 23, 2014
Enjoyed working with the young people but didn't work everyday. Pay was small. Worked three or four days a week was the hardest part.
Pros
THE YOUNG PEOPLE
Cons
DIDN'T WORK EVERYDAY/SMALL PAY
Overall a great school district to work for.
Technology Instructor/Support (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCNovember 19, 2014
School district is on the cutting edge of technological advancements in educational tools and assessment for both teachers and student.
Pros
Technology
Excellent place to work.
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCOctober 27, 2014
Horry County Schools puts students first. All of the teachers and staff are committed to excellence and it is evidence in the district's standardized test scores as compared with the national averages.
Professional enviornment that requires constant training and professional development.
Lead Clinical Counselor (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCOctober 4, 2014
A typical day at work starts with greeting the children and parents to school, conducting team planning/meeting, engaging in group counseling sessions with identified grade levels, performing scheduled individual counseling sessions, attending staff meetings with school administrators, and completing required clinical documentation.

The work day consist of 8hrs, and each task is broken down throughout the day by a posted schedule. In the school environment I have learned to be the constant, dependable, and professional. My co-workers were friendly, nice, and helpful.
Pros
Professional Development and Training
Cons
Fun and enjoyable working in the workplace
Interventionist Aide (Former Employee) –  North, SCJuly 28, 2014
Excellent and rewarding working with kids. the most enjoyable part about this job was seeing the excitement on a child's face when they know they have made gains or met their goals. Co- workers were helpful.
Pros
making a difference for children in education
Cons
pay, and not enough space

4.5