Horry County Schools Employee Reviews

it could be better
Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCSeptember 13, 2017
It could be better work environment. the wages a'rent enough for the work that you do. they do pay overtime. they wont let you get over time. now they have free lunch and the kids still arent taking the lunch well
Being a teacher is often stressful but also very rewarding.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCAugust 24, 2017
A teacher of moderate/severe disability students can be in a very stress filled environment many times. It also can be very rewarding many times.The hardest part of the job was the paperwork.
Pros
having summers off
Cons
paperwork
School bus Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 23, 2017
Work day pay 8hrs, but normally put in 10 hrs. I reported to work at 5am and most days worked until 6pm. I prepared routes and managed 30 buses and drivers for all of the Myrtle Beach area schools. I worked closely with Principles and their staff. I also worked closely with the community, parents,police, and all city and state officials involved in the bussing aspect. Work closely with DOT for the maintenance of the buses.
Pros
Community
Cons
There where days with no break
working for HCS
Educator (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 21, 2017
Like most educators, the requirements are vast and the pay is minimal. Most HCS educators come from different states where the pay is much better. There is a "good ol boy network" so the chance for advancement is all based on who you know.
Pros
working with great kids and families with awesome educators
Cons
horrible pay, horrible benefits, chance of advancement is slim
Fun job
After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCAugust 14, 2017
I loved working with the children. Good pay, and you are off during the Holidays.Everyone I worked with at the school was pleasant. I would go back!!!
Family oriented team environment
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCAugust 6, 2017
A very good place to work. Co workers are very team oriented. Everyone chips in during difficult times. Family comes first. Children's needs are main focus.
Substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Green Sea, SCJuly 29, 2017
Working with students and teachers to provided a great education. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the children, and listening to their ideas.
Great workplace
Para Professional, Special Education (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJuly 22, 2017
Hour are fabulous if you have school aged children.
Everyday is different and fun and challenging and rewarding if you have a passion for watching children grown and succeed.
a great place to make a difference in children's lives
ABA Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Forestbrook Middle Middle SchoolJuly 17, 2017
A great environment of professionals working together to provide education and care to each student in attendance. This position is a great opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students with special needs.
day
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJuly 11, 2017
A typical day for me would be teaching class piano and ap music theory. I also direct our competition theatre program and enjoy this so much. the only thing that I think needs to be rectified is that theatre directors should be compensated for their time.
Challenging and fast paced
8th Grade Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SC and Conway SCJune 30, 2017
A typical work day in the school system is fast paced and challenging. I've learned the essence of managing people and creating engaging instructional materials/presentations. The management was supportive and very knowledgeable. The workplace culture was pleasant and had high expectations for all staff and students. The hardest part of the job was trying to manage all that was expected in the time that was given. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping and instructing students, and collaborating of my colleagues to meet curricular goals.
Good school system.
Special Education Teacher and Coach (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 7, 2017
Very progressive LEA with very balanced management/administration. The system is cutting edge in terms of available digital content and general approach to education.
Pros
Great funding!
Cons
It's a public school.
great schools
Second Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 26, 2017
I loved working at the schools in Horry County so much that I am still one of their approved substitutes. It is a large county with many schools and loving students.
very fun
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCMay 25, 2017
I loved subbing for horry county schools. All the schools I worked for were cleaned and organized. I loved helping the children learn and grow. Teachers were all amazing.
High stress work place
Substitute Teacher, Spanish teacher k-12 (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCMay 24, 2017
Building supervisor makes all the difference in the world. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing students learn, while the hardest part of the job is helping students to learn when they have no desire to learn. I learned time management skills and discipline.
Pros
full benefits, sick leave, and sick bank
Cons
few restroom breaks, sometimes none depending on the position
Enjoyed working with the students
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCMay 22, 2017
A typical day started with having the children go to breakfast. The students then came to class. The teacher was ready with his or her lesson plans. I spent a lot of time on paperwork. There were after school meetings with parents to discuss their student's progress.
The most difficult part of the job was administering test to students because they were under so much pressure they would cry.
Pros
Teaching children
Cons
Administering tests
Loving and full-spirited place to work.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Conway, SC 29526May 11, 2017
Horry County Schools employs hard-working, dedicated individuals. The environment is evident that the children are the top priority. The hardest part of the job is constant change. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you affect change in a child's life.
Bus driver/Mid day employee
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Socastee, SCMarch 27, 2017
A typical day starts rather early, of course, having to be up in the morning to prepare and inspect your bus before picking up the children. This is not an easy job. It takes a LOT of patience to deal with 50-70 kids by yourself in a small confined space. You must be able to concentrate on the road, as well as to be sure the students are safe and following the rules.

The medical benefits and retirement are okay. Quite a bit is taken out of your check to cover them. Your 180-day pay 7.5 hour/daily is spread throughout the year, so between your benefits being taken out it can leave you with a lot less in your bank account. That being said, I think Horry County is one of the few counties that pay their bus drivers decent, considering a lot of counties only pay their bus drivers minimum wage and only driving time.

I also work within the schools during my mid-day to cover my whole 7.5 hour per day. It varies per driver and per route.

I have been very diligently working on trying to advance within the schools, but I find that its hard for a lot of drivers to get out of the transportation dept. This can be due to the district having trouble finding drivers.

The time off is great, having off whenever the students are off, but it also means your pay is low because of it. A lot of drivers supplement their pay by working in the summer time, which helps.

Supervisors are fair, and any grievances or problems are handled pretty well.

Sick time and personal time is also very nice. 9 days per year sick leave, and 2 personal days per year.

Overall, the job can
  more... be tough, but the benefits are rewarding.  less
Pros
Decent benefits, time off, paid sick leave
Cons
Hard to advance out of transportation, not an easy job.
Love school nursing
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCFebruary 9, 2017
A typical day would consist of implementing care plans, providing direct treatment to students/ staffs. Prepared for emergencies at any moment. Liaison for students and families. Administering medication as ordered.
Pros
wonderful job! Helping someone everyday
Cons
none at this moment
Good for those not needing benefits or advancement
Volunteer/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 22, 2017
You usually have to sign in well in advance of your scheduled (paid) time. It is fun working with children of all ages. The teachers usually (but not always) leave detailed lesson plans. Grade school subs get 40-50 min. break (planning period)as the kids are in Specials. Depending on the Middle School (some will make you work during planning period) you can have up to 2 hour break. The kids do like to take control over subs. Schools do not hire from the substitute pool for full time positions. Fun working at different schools and with the kids. you do learn a lot from the kids and keep up on what the going trend is.
Pros
set your own availability
Cons
no room for advancement