HORSESHOE Southern Indiana Employee Reviews in United States

I got to work on a boat on the river.
Bar Porter (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, INApril 3, 2016
I enjoyed working with the various bartenders and those in administration. The position was demanding and challenging with a positive atmosphere.
One job I regret leaving!!! Please read if considering to work for horseshoe!!
Surveillance Officer (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, INMarch 17, 2016
Work was more then your typical work day it was something I look forward waking up and going to everyday. I can honestly say this is the only job I have ever regret leaving and that's not an exaggeration!! It wasn't just the job it's self that was so perfect but it's the team you get to work with everyday. They treated me like family more then my own family did. Regardless of the situation each and every one of my team mates were there for me whether it was a issue at work or even at home. The manager is hands down the most amazing manager I have ever worked for. She stayed focused on our work and did what ever she could do to keep our team on top. Whether she knows it or not she definitely had a huge impact on my life and how I view things (in a good way). She always gave great advice and willing to work one on one to help us be better at our job and it wasn't ever about her it was always about us. What I loved the most was that when you did something good you were recognized and rewarded. Most jobs you bust your butt hoping to get a raise but in reality you were never noticed. If your wondering how the pay was well it's not the worse and wasn't the best however you work hard continue to improve, show that you love what you do and are very thankful for having the job, hard work pays off. Always room for advancement you just have to show that you want it because they don't just hand it out to whom ever. I let the thought of higher pay get the best of me which is one of the reason why I left but now that I am gone I wish I would have never left because I left more then a job  more... behind I left advancement opportunities, learning capabilities, amazing benefits and most importantly my work family and the best dang manager anyone could ask for. Out side the surveillance life the company was also great to work for because they interact with each and everyone of their employees such as one on one meeting to help improve things on the employee side and for the customers. They also have team meetings once a month with games and activities or even a horseshoe Olympics where each department competed against each other in some gaming event which by the way surveillance is #1 :) another great thing was the food.... Some can disagree however your lucky to get grilled cooked food and you ordered what ever you wanted that was on the menu. I know one things for sure it was hard to lose weight because the food was so great. Besides the food if weather was ever bad they offered a place to stay to make sure you were able to be at work the next day. Another great thing was the employee reward system helped keep each and every employee involved with different activities by rewarding us with points that acted as money towards prizes. Think of it as horseshoes Amazon. You had enough points you type in what you want and more then likely they had it on their webpage. I was able to earn a go pro, tv, ect. My list can go on and I know that a select few would disagree but please don't let the negative comments get to you because being in the work area I was I can tell you the ones that write negative comments are the one that did it to them selfs and probably deserved to be let go or horseshoe is lucky to not have them as an employee anymore. If I was given the chance to have my position back at horse shoe I would drop everything to earn it back. If this tells you anything majority of the people that I worked with have been there for 6+ years and most have been there since day 1. I know for a fact if I wouldn't have left for a higher paying job (that I ended up hating and quitting) I would be making the same if not more at a job I truly loved doing (horseshoe). If you have a opportunity to work with horseshoe take it and make the best of it! If you have a opportunity to work in the surveillance department bust your butt to be the best show them that hiring you was worth the time and most of all enjoy what you do and come in with an upbeat positive attitude!! Good luck to you and good luck to horseshoe! Thank you for making such a huge impact on my life!!  less
Pros
The pay, advancement and learning opportunities, benefits, food and one giant work family!
Cons
The weird hours of the shifts and some of the employees negative attitudes.
When I started in the business 26 years ago, I loved the enviroment. The fast pace ,the money,the interaction with the guest.
Casino Dealer (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, INSeptember 11, 2015
Dealing your assigned game. Tap into a table and deal your game while entertaining the guest and protecting your game ,money, cards, ect. .
Over the years you learn to read your customers. Their wants, their needs as a player.
My co-workers for the most part were wonderful. We are all there for a common goal. To make tips.
The hardest part of the job was the inconsistency from your supervisors. The ones that stand the floor behind the games.
Making money and my co-workers were the best part of that job.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers great pay
Cons
The smoke
Good job.
Hotel Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, INAugust 4, 2015
Good job. Just sucks that its difficult to balance work with other responsibilities. Not a fault of the company however.
Fun workplace, Hard to move up, Easy to move around.
Hotel Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, INAugust 3, 2015
I loved my job at Horseshoe, dependent upon what department you work for, it can be very easy to move up, but it's even easier to move around. Don't like your current department? You can move!
Pros
Cheap EDR, Ability to move departments
Cons
Hours flexibility
Supervisor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  SupervisorJune 6, 2015
From supervisor to Manager you have to work 50 plus hours a week. You will very rarely have holidays off or weekends. The culture of Horseshoe is fantastic and there are some really pleasant people who work there. You will learn a lot about coaching team members and how to complete administrative work. This is not a family friendly business. If you have little ones at home that you would like to see, it will be a real commitment to balance both effectively. Hardly anyone works 1st shift and when you start working in hopes to move into first shift you will realize that someone will have to retire or get fired before you are able to work a dream schedule. The schedules change due to business demands and to cover other employees PTO you will have to bounce around from working grave to swing shift or even pick up extra hours. Working with the union becomes a real road block and you spend half your time defending your own decisions as a leader. Over all the pay is good, the benefits make the hard times worth it but if family is important right now in your life it will be a hard balance to maintain a successful career and grow a family.
Pros
Health care, pay, rewards, culture, co-workers, guest interactions, and leadership.
Cons
Union, co-workers, family balance, travel, and work schedule
A casino indutry education
Centralized Scheduling Planner (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, INNovember 21, 2014
A typical day at work is busy and productive. I learned how to effectively multi-task wearing many hats during my scheduled shift. The hardest part of my job was woking whenever I was asked, changing my days off whenever it was needed and working every holiday, unless it fell naturally on my day off. The most enjoyable part of my job was feeling satisfied with my contributions at the end of my work day and successfully taking care of customer issues and turning their visit around.
Pros
inexpensive lunches, lots of employee engagement events, good benefits
Cons
the casino business has no holidays. its a 24 hr business and when most people are off, we are working.
I wish I didn't have to write a review like this
Security (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth IndianaAugust 15, 2014
Well I admit it, I was wrong. I had heard this was a terrible place to work but I thought perhaps it was just isolated incidents. I learned very quickly that just isn't the case. The managers are apparently instructed to be bullies, you will be told to be available any shift they need you, any hours they need you. Do not attempt to have a life outside the walls of this institution. The Human Resource department is nothing short of a really bad joke. You job will be threatened daily if you don't agree to the "knee jerk" demands of the Director of Security. There is absolute lying and document falsification and fabrication if they want to terminate someone. All I can tell you is if you are considering working here...don't do it. I don't want anyone to be abused like I was as well as my co-workers were.
Pros
that i don't work there anymore
Cons
everything i can possibly think of.
Nothing but kind words
Special Events/Entertainment Manager (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, INAugust 12, 2014
I have developed a second family with my co-workers at Horseshoe Southern Indiana. Extremely grateful for everything I have learned through my years with Caesars Entertainment!
Pros
free lunch, co-workers, development
Cons
new insurance (though they are working on improving), work/life balance
Surveillance Operator (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, INJuly 31, 2014
I really enjoyed my time with this particular company. I would definitely recommend working at this particular property.
Pros
advancement
Cons
there really arent any
No room for advancement
Casino Services Slots/Beverage/EVS Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, INJune 24, 2014
I have worked for Horseshoe for 9 years in two different departments. In the Accounting department, there is zero opportunity for advancement. If you wish to remain a front line employee, it is a good job but compensation is poor compared to positions with other companies with the same level of responsibility. In my current department (Front of House Operations), the compensation is the only good part about the job but that's just because I got lucky. I am currently a supervisor but there is no room for advancement above that level in this department either. When you think about working in a casino, think about how drama ruled your life in high school and consider if you can work in that atmosphere. Lots of poor performers who cannot effectively be dealt with because of the Union, lots of gossip, lots of cursing, lots of immorality. Management tends to turn their head and not deal with the problems because they are too rampant and then the optimal performers are the ones who get held responsible when rumors abound. The corporation itself is in dire financial trouble and the trickle-down effect causes problems on a property level, meaning scaling back on positions - when a job is vacated, they do not make it available again, convincing themselves that operations can continue to run without someone in that position, when all it does is hurt employee morale and customer service. Overall, the state of this company is horrible. I would not recommend anyone apply for a job there unless you are in desperate need of a job quickly.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
A great place to work for the most part. The benefits are awesome.
Casino Services Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, INNovember 4, 2013
Upper management tries very hard to stay engaged with employess and keep an upbeat and positive atmosphere however, there are often road blocks that are thrown into the mix that have to be dealt with. It is a fun place to work, but dealing with unions can make things difficult. The employees are awesome and can be motivated if you do what you say you are going to do and build trust with them.
Pros
insurance benefits and healthcare are top of mind.
Cons
very often do not get breaks.
Fun up beat work place
Cashier/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, INOctober 22, 2013
The casino is a great place to work, they treat all their workers well. and fun place to work, very busy and the people are interesting.
Great benefits!
Cage Cashier (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, INMay 17, 2013
Great place to work, but you do have to give up your weekends and holidays.
Pros
good benefits, free food in edr.
Cons
stand on your feet all the time and breathing in the second hand smoke.
aroma cafe
Café Attendant / Steward (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, INJuly 31, 2012
overall i love my job at aroma the employees are friendly team players. I was hired a steward and learned so much more than just that. eventually i filled in as a cafe attendant. the guest were appreciative. the most enjoyable part of my work was giving a great performance and quality services.
Pros
reward credits, p t o days
Cons
short staffed in some areas.
Want to further your education & work at the same time... Don't try here
Worker (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, INJuly 3, 2012
Worked there for 5 years and when I was ready to go back to school they were unwilling to work with my school schedule even though it was possible. I know of a few others who quit for the same reason. They tell you when you are hired in that they will support you in furthering your education and tuition reimbursement but fail to tell you that they won't adjust your schedule by one day so you can attend class.