HOSPICE OF CENTRAL OHIO Employee Reviews

Poor management
not applicable (Former Employee) –  newark ohioJuly 17, 2017
I could not believe my short lived experience with Hospice. Very poor management. They will find some ridiculous reason to let you go at any time. I was let go for something that had nothing to do with my performance, but rather the fact that I did not "fit" in with the culture of Hospice. There was no opportunity for an improvement plan or helpful discussion. Come to find out, they hired back the person who was previously in my position. It seemed sneaky. I was told by a supervisor during my first week that she "does not know why I was hired" and that I would "not succeed" at this job. It was the most disrespected I have every felt in a professional environment. They truly live by the Ohio "employment at will" law, and will drop you on a dime. This is a place that allows their new employees to be disrespected and treated as less than. I heard so much gossip among the various teams, much of it directed toward the inadequacies of new employees. Many staff are amazing and wonderful, while others seem to think that if you don't have prior hospice experience, you can not do the job. I preformed just fine, was passionate about the work. I was told that I was excelling as a new employee one week, and was let go the next. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
pay, patients, staff
Cons
management, lack of respect, culture
Great place to work as an LPN
LPN (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHMarch 14, 2017
Really enjoyed my time with HOCO as an LPN. You will travel a lot but you will also learn so much. The medical director is great and the doctors answer quickly even at 3am.
Intakes
Resource Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHFebruary 7, 2017
Inquires of if Hospice approve and then we send the RN intake to the home of the ill to get assessed if Hospice appropriate. Then follow up calls to check if the patient condition has improved or declined.
Pros
helping patients at end of life
Cons
patients passing away
Day in work
Resource Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Newark, OH 43055June 11, 2016
I enjoy my job very much. It is very busy and demanding, but very gratifying at the same time. I work well with all of my co-workers. I have gained a lot of medical clerical skills, EMR and regular use of medical terminology. Also gained coding experience.
Great pay, PRN positions don't allow for room for other work.
Crisis Care LPN - PRN (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHMay 16, 2014
This place pays great for PRN! Well worth it! Awesome job to have. Working with the patients and their families is a really nice thing as well. Whats bad is as a crisis care LPN, they choose your schedule. If they don't need you, you have no work. Your days on vary, so, it's a bit impossible to have another job, because, if they don't call and you go to work elsewhere, they MAY call you at 1am. So, you basically have to make sure you don't NEED this job for any financial SUPPORT.
Pros
pay
Cons
unable to keep other steady employment
Why I'm Here
Director of Corporate Compliance (Current Employee) –  Newark OhioMay 24, 2013
Any place will have its share of annoyances and disappointments. It's up to me to put those into context: why am I here? I've chosen to not interpret these annoyances as personal; rather I try every day to focus on the real reason: the patient and the family. There are no do-overs in hospice. We have to get it right; and it's NOT about us.

Whenever I've shared my frustrations with my boss, I'm always heard. I know they can't read my mind, so I have the responsibility to let them know: candid and respectful feedback.

Most days--nearly all days-- I feel blessed to work here knowing that it's purposeful and meaningful work.
Pros
balanced approach
Cons
the pace of change is sometimes hard to keep up with
Rewarding work-place, team approach to care, supportive leadership who genuinely care about their employees
RN (Current Employee) –  NewarkMay 23, 2013
Great place to work with the opportunity to work independently. Rewarding nursing career taking care of patients and families at the end of life. Very supportive management - they show they care about their employees. The benefits and compensation are also very competitive. There are many nice extras like a holiday party, summer picnic, employee appreciation gifts.
Pros
Benefits, compensation, type of work
Hospice of Central Ohio (Hoco) is a great place to work!
CFO (Current Employee) –  Newark, OhioMay 23, 2013
Hoco is a very mission centered company. They believe in providing the best possible care to hospice patients and their families. Hoco treats their employees with respect and kindness. I would highly recommend Hospice of Central Ohio to anyone that is looking for a job in healthcare. I have worked at Hoco for almost four years, now. It really feels like home to me. If you pride yourself on doing a good job, you will be valued and appreciated at Hospice of Central Ohio.
Pros
Our Patients and Staff
Cons
long drive for me, but well worth it!
Great place to work. Good people doing good things for people that really need help.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Newark OhioMay 23, 2013
I really enjoy helping people and being part of this company. We get paid well and get to help people that realy need help.
My boss is a good person.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with patient deaths. But, it helps knowing we were there for them and their family.
The top people seem to care what happens to us and want us to be happy.
Pros
good pay, good people, caring environment, work that means something
Cons
typical healthcare stuff
Growth Opportunities
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 27, 2013
*Review accounts
*Strategize visits and appointments
*Organize team for meetings
*Customer services maintenance
*Build new accounts from ground level/New markets
*Build CRM and Profiles
*Network for growth
Pros
flexibility
Cons
pressure for high growth
Poor Management
RN (Current Employee) –  Newark OhioOctober 20, 2012
High Stress Job, with poor management, clinical staff support from mangement, alot to be desired, considering the high stress of this job. Heavy at the top, case loads are heavy, not enough clinical staff.
Hospice of Central Ohio
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHJune 22, 2012
You made great money but not worth going to work daily not knowing if you were going to have a job. Most co workers were great! However if you did not suck up with the management then they will give you a unreasonable reason to end employment. Such as you are too young or we feel that you do not fit in with hospice. Very stressful not managed well at all, it's more like a circus than a hospice. Most of your patients are great however the company will have you drive 500 miles or more a day and its not worth it. Also lose out on a lot of family time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HOSPICE OF CENTRAL OHIO. Our community is ready to answer.

HOSPICE OF CENTRAL OHIO Reviews by Location