Hospice of Michigan Employee Reviews

Good place to work.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIOctober 10, 2017
At times, the case load may be above normal but it is manageably. The staff was friendly and it has its challenges. Sometimes, death can be the hardest part of life but your job is to make it as comfortable for the patient and family as you can.
Working with hospice patients and families
Chaplain/Spiritual Care Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 9, 2017
Overall great opportunity to offer end of life care to hospice patients and their families..offering support, spiritual connections and life affirmation through end of life.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no pay raises
Patient care is rewarding. Mgmt loose sight of bedside care need.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cadillac, MISeptember 3, 2017
Communication poor, local up to corporate level. Mgmt inconsistent with team, culture and loosing sight of bedside care needs. Long hours, often excessive need of working to cover staffing shortages. Been at position 2 years and seeing staff turnover and burnout last few months throughout region.
Pros
Excellent knowledgeable physicians and Telesupport Nurses.
Cons
Ongoing staffing shortages and overflows to requiring more hours. Mgmt heavy. Wages not competitive.
Poor work environment
ADMISSIONS RN/CASE MANAGER RN (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MIAugust 28, 2017
Poor work environment and very long hours. Orientation is inadequate for the job. Then teaching is done through a constant barrage of corrective emails and disciplinary actions.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours and poor management
Great company, true vision and mission
Account Manager/LPN (Former Employee) –  wet branch, miAugust 22, 2017
Hospice of Michigan truly stand behind their vision and mission. Providing hospice care to everyone that qualifies. They tend to provide services that other hospices would not due to financial constraints. There staff is is amazing
Innovative and Compassionate
Telephonic Hospice Triage Nurse (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 2, 2017
The call center became the statewide call center during the time I worked there. They were innovative in that we traveled to the various regions to become acquainted with the various sites that we would be taking calls from.
great
Service Operations Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 14, 2017
great place to work
the management is great
the culture is great
environment has alot of offices and its pretty quiet
the management is focused on the mission
the end of life
Field Staff Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 6, 2017
A hard job but knowing there are people who can help with end of life and the sadness that comes with it. RN's MSW, SCA and Aides all to the rescue to assist families and patients make the smooth transition. Some days are very long and very stressful but knowing you are helping a piece of the transition in a positive way make it worth it.
benefits
Cons
hard job with sadness and often stress
Busy
Registered Nurse - Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJune 12, 2017
It's been a long time since I was employed here, but I only have fond memories. Lovely staff and great hours. I worked part time and enjoyed my work. :)
Hha-rn
RN (Former Employee) –  Gaylord, MIMay 10, 2017
Hospice work is so very rewarding. Great place to work. Love the autonomy. Positive work environment. Best part are the patients and families. Would have stayed there if a full-time position was available at the time.
Lack of opportunities and stressfull
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 24, 2017
Unfortunately, Hospice of Michigan is a very badly run not for profit hospice. The organization has a huge layer of middle-management which, quite honestly, in this era of "lean" organizations cannot last.

Hospice of Michigan has only expanded its' "footprint" in the area by gobbling up other smaller hospices - and doing this rather dismally. The workplace culture is abysmal;the job is too stressfull.
Cons
weak benefit package;non-supportive management
Nice staff to work with
Hospice RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 14, 2016
The management was constantly changing and there was a lot of overtime. Fellow coworkers were always ready to help. I enjoyed traveling.
life as a hospice nurse
RN Case Manager Hospice (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 1, 2016
Taking care of the terminally ill takes a toll on any one even with boundaries. The burnout rate is 5 years and I have done it for 15, so this shows my commitment to doing a great job and taking care of the patient. I believe now I need to take different nursing role and possibly take care of the well. I loved being at the bedside holding hands while they were taking their last breath and being supportive to he family.
Rewarding patient interaction
Spiritual Care Advisor (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJune 23, 2016
Job satisfaction is received primarily as a result of patient interaction. Management does provide ample continuing education opportunities.
Pros
Patient interaction
Helpful work environment.
Government & Foundation Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 22, 2016
Productive work environment; open door policy conducive to having questions answered and the sharing of resources.

Internship in grant writing enhanced my knowledge of the this field.
Pros
Open door policy.
Cons
No room for advancement.
return to firefighting
going rate (Current Employee) –  Macomb, MIJune 8, 2016
Miss EMS and rescue work- don't want to stay doing hospice care return to saving lives
I work with both adults and peds hospice pts. manage all their care medications supplys setting up aid visits
no comment
Director (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 18, 2016
no comment and do not wish to provide any information regarding my employment here or my opinions and feel this requirement is unfair
great vision, mission& values - only they need to live them
Social Worker and Grief Counselor (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 11, 2016
I worked there twice - first time around the company actually lived their vision, mission & values but when leadership changed 15+ years ago the company went down hill - very questionable ethics,
Pros
good benefits, great co-workers
Cons
bad management & getting worse
Too many hours, too much stress
RN (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 6, 2016
I worked 60 plus hours per week for years and it never got any better... hospice of michigan wants too much!

Absolutely terrible training.

Managers don't know how to manage!

You can not care about yourself or your own family and do this job.
Cons
Management is not trustworthy/ no communication
Great Team
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Ferndale, MIFebruary 3, 2016
Great team, great patients. Love working here! This was an acute illness management program. We had some patients for almost 4 years.
Pros
Great Team
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospice of Michigan. Our community is ready to answer.