Hospice of Michigan Employee Reviews

life as a hospice nurse
RN Case Manager Hospice (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 1, 2016
Taking care of the terminally ill takes a toll on any one even with boundaries. The burnout rate is 5 years and I have done it for 15, so this shows my commitment to doing a great job and taking care of the patient. I believe now I need to take different nursing role and possibly take care of the well. I loved being at the bedside holding hands while they were taking their last breath and being supportive to he family.
Rewarding patient interaction
Spiritual Care Advisor (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJune 23, 2016
Job satisfaction is received primarily as a result of patient interaction. Management does provide ample continuing education opportunities.
Pros
Patient interaction
Helpful work environment.
Government & Foundation Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 22, 2016
Productive work environment; open door policy conducive to having questions answered and the sharing of resources.

Internship in grant writing enhanced my knowledge of the this field.
Pros
Open door policy.
Cons
No room for advancement.
return to firefighting
going rate (Current Employee) –  Macomb, MIJune 8, 2016
Miss EMS and rescue work- don't want to stay doing hospice care return to saving lives
I work with both adults and peds hospice pts. manage all their care medications supplys setting up aid visits
no comment
Director (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 18, 2016
no comment and do not wish to provide any information regarding my employment here or my opinions and feel this requirement is unfair
great vision, mission& values - only they need to live them
Social Worker and Grief Counselor (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 11, 2016
I worked there twice - first time around the company actually lived their vision, mission & values but when leadership changed 15+ years ago the company went down hill - very questionable ethics,
Pros
good benefits, great co-workers
Cons
bad management & getting worse
Too many hours, too much stress
RN (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 6, 2016
I worked 60 plus hours per week for years and it never got any better... hospice of michigan wants too much!

Absolutely terrible training.

Managers don't know how to manage!

You can not care about yourself or your own family and do this job.
Cons
Management is not trustworthy/ no communication
Great Team
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Ferndale, MIFebruary 3, 2016
Great team, great patients. Love working here! This was an acute illness management program. We had some patients for almost 4 years.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
An organization with an incredible mission.
Corporate Director of HR & OD (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 16, 2015
I feel honored to have worked for an organization with such an awesome mission. I have worked with and continue to work with awesome individuals during my employment here...awesome people, great talent and committed to the mission everyday.
Pros
The people who work here.
Cons
Really none.
Great admissions nurse management.
RN admissions (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 16, 2015
I have worked for this company going on 3 years and cannot say enough about the culture. My managers make a good attempt to help me through difficult situations and I appreciate this support. The physicians I work with are tip notch and kind. The patient care is excellent!
Pros
Good management
Cons
I never have time for a lunch or dinner break because my cases are scheduled back to back.
Great Program
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 15, 2014
This was a volunteer position.
Sat with patience and gave them company and comfort.
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 5, 2014
Expert in the field of Hospice Care. Great leadership and creating a culture of learning and development.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Traveling
Hoped for more civility at hospice
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 20, 2014
Hospice of Michigan does a lot of good work. I was proud to work there and hoped I would work there until I retired. The management made a sincere effort to put some fun into office atmosphere to offset the fact that we dealt with grieving families and patients every day. But the constant shift in upper management lead to a lot of frustration. At one point we had 7 managers that had a voice in how the Call Center ran. Favoritism by managers toward staff members ended up pitting co-workers against each other and the environment turned toxic.
Pros
Team atmosphere
Cons
Too much upper management
I already did this
Medical Social Worker MSW (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 23, 2014
I already wrote this review, Hospice is a nonprofit that cover most of lower Michigan and service adults and children
patient oriented company
Registered Nurse, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, MIJuly 15, 2014
Lots of traveling/ long days. Working independently . Team approach to care of patients. Communication not effective between management and staff. Super rewarding to help families and patients through this part of their lives.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
long hours high stress driving
Review
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJune 1, 2014
Long hours and lots of on call; however, the benefit of helping those that are dying in their last days and keeping them comfortable is worth the hard work. Staff members are easy to work with, but management does have a high turn over.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Lots of on call
Managed Volunteer Program
Volunteer Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Fremont, MIMarch 31, 2014
Recruited, trained and managed hospice volunteers. Great culture and work environment.
Caring people all around
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 26, 2013
Volunteering with Hospice of Michigan has fulfilled me in ways i could not have imagined.
a good company
chna (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 26, 2013
always a busy day working with terminal pateints.every day we learn something new. mangement was always changing.most of the co workers were great but some no so.never found the job hard.i like meeting all the different people .
Pros
great benefits
Cons
hi rate of tunovers w/ management
Inovative caring mission driven company patient care always placed first
Corporate Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Detroit MichiganNovember 12, 2013
A typical day for me at Hospice of Michigan was to first off assure that any problems or issues that arose in patient care in regards to pharmacy or pharmacy billing issues were resolved. My position there was to help in any way that I could and many days I would be part of planning groups to find ways to improve efficiency in the way care was delivered. Management at Hospice of Michigan was very opened door and upper management were always open to ideas or suggestions on ways to make the organization better. My co-workers there were caring, helpful and all had the interest of the patients and the organization in mind at all times. The hardest part of my position was, early on, the retrieval of data on some of the budgetary items I was in charge of but with advancements made by vendors and with the electronic medical record this issue was resolved prior to my departure. The most enjoyable part of my job was working in an environment that was based on respect and collaboration between co-workers and the working with the field staff to obtain operational goals.
Pros
collaborative enviorment, mission, vision and goals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospice of Michigan. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9