Hospice of Michigan

Hospice of Michigan Employer Reviews

patient oriented company
Registered Nurse, Case Manager (Former Employee), Petoskey, MIJuly 15, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: long hours high stress driving
Lots of traveling/ long days. Working independently . Team approach to care of patients. Communication not effective between management and staff. Super rewarding to help families and patients through this part of their lives.
Review
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIJune 1, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: lots of on call
Long hours and lots of on call; however, the benefit of helping those that are dying in their last days and keeping them comfortable is worth the hard work. Staff members are easy to work with, but management does have a high turn over.
Managed Volunteer Program
Volunteer Services Manager (Former Employee), Fremont, MIMarch 31, 2014
Recruited, trained and managed hospice volunteers. Great culture and work environment.
Caring people all around
Volunteer (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 26, 2013
Volunteering with Hospice of Michigan has fulfilled me in ways i could not have imagined.
a good company
chna (Former Employee), Detroit, MINovember 26, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: hi rate of tunovers w/ management
always a busy day working with terminal pateints.every day we learn something new. mangement was always changing.most of the co workers were great but some no so.never found the job hard.i like meeting all the different people .
Inovative caring mission driven company patient care always placed first
Corporate Pharmacist (Former Employee), Detroit MichiganNovember 12, 2013
Pros: collaborative enviorment, mission, vision and goals
A typical day for me at Hospice of Michigan was to first off assure that any problems or issues that arose in patient care in regards to pharmacy or pharmacy billing issues were resolved. My position there was to help in any way that I could and many days I would be part of planning groups to find ways to improve efficiency in the way care was delivered. – more... Management at Hospice of Michigan was very opened door and upper management were always open to ideas or suggestions on ways to make the organization better. My co-workers there were caring, helpful and all had the interest of the patients and the organization in mind at all times. The hardest part of my position was, early on, the retrieval of data on some of the budgetary items I was in charge of but with advancements made by vendors and with the electronic medical record this issue was resolved prior to my departure. The most enjoyable part of my job was working in an environment that was based on respect and collaboration between co-workers and the working with the field staff to obtain operational goals. – less
Productive and serene place to work. Great Mentors and people to work with
Grant Intern (Former Employee), Detroit, MISeptember 12, 2013
Pros: free lunch, great volunteer projects, meeting mitch albom
i had to research possible contributors and corporation leaders in raisers edge. How much that person or company donated was listed, this would give me an idea of what they may give again if asked. I learned to wrote grants and also apply for grants. Filled out grant applications and typed up a plan to go with it. Filling out grant applications was – more... one of the hardest parts. But I as well as the other interns had tons of support and mentors who could help assist us if we ask. – less
Weekly Patient Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIMay 9, 2013
I was a patient volunteer for a little over 15 months. I came into patients' homes once a week whether it be in their own homes or in a facility, and did various activities with them. I was required to fill out an information form on how the session with with each client each time I visited.
It is ok
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Current Employee), Detroit, MIApril 19, 2013
It's a great place to work at. It's a great place to work. Enjoyable environment with my co-workers
wonderful staff, large complex company
Social Worker (Former Employee), Ann ArborFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: caring staff
Cons: management somewhat inflexible regarding staff concerns
HOM is generally a good place to work. I was hired to work in one area and was gradually moved away from the area I was promised to an area an hour away, if I wanted work. Also, staff were offered body guards due to the unsafe areas and homes they were required to visit in the inner city. The homes were roach infested (visibly crawling on floors and – more... ceilings). The idea of home care is a good one but when staff's health and safety are in jeopardy, another approach must be considered.

This Co. fired all or most of its employees 3-4 yrs. ago and made them re-apply. This created an atmosphere of fear over job security. – less
Giving back is the best
Grief Support Counselor Intern (Former Employee), Big Rapids, MIFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: helping others
Cons: sometimes you take the work home (mentally)
Loved working with the bereaved to help them at their time of grief. The company was great with the experience.
I love what Hospice does for the end of life care
Care Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee), Gaylord, MIOctober 16, 2012
Pros: losing patients and families
Cons: great pay and benifits
Hard to put into words about Hospice care. Hospice of Michigan is a leader in the the end of life care. The hardest part of the job was losing patients and family's because you develop a relationship with them. Hospice of Michigan has great benefits for employees and family. Wadges are higher then most Hospices.
Overall a great experiece
On Call RN (Former Employee), Charter Township of Clinton, MIJune 20, 2012
HOM is a great organization to work for. I was one of the on call RN's that was the only down fall and that is the reason that I left. I needed something more steady and hours. But everyone there is so incredibly nice from the person at the front desk to the cleaning crew.
Good place to work with individual who share your vision
Grief Support Manager; Chaplain (Former Employee), Clinton Twnship & Detroit, MIMay 2, 2012
Pros: great colleagues
Cons: need more brakes tied into this kind of work
This system won't let me rate Culture/Values higher than a three star..The salary could be better but we all say that. They have a wonderful 403b Matching program.

I worked for Hospice of Michigan for over 13 yrs. I think that says alot about how I feel about it. There is no typical day for a hospice employee except to say that we are are on holy and – more... sacred ground. Our patients and families invite us to share in an intimate time in their lives and that doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated.

It's an intense time for our families usually they have just rec'd the news of a terminal diagnoses and then they are adjusting to the concept of hospice as well and meeting a handful of new people. It 's a lot to deal with all at once. We see the best in families and the worst in families.

I have had the priviledge of working with two great teams. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but otherwise, these individuals give their all to make sure that pain is controlled, needs are met, and will see to it that it happens.

The hardest part of the job is not to live it 24/7...not to take it home with you..because you do that anyway. The most enjoyable part of the job...the people you met...the stories they tell...awe-inspiring

Management...I was lucky..my immediate supervisor in grief support and the one I worked with most recently were very supportive of the work I was doing and believed in putting patient and family first, but not everyone does this. – less