Hospice of Northwest Ohio Employee Reviews in United States

Would never recommend my worst enemy work for this company!!!!
Registered Nurse-Inpatient (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 25, 2015
After giving up one year of my life I would not recommend ANYONE work for this company!!! They DO NOT care about their employees at all!!! No management in over a year present on night shift...ALWAYS short handed on nights...getting promoted within is a joke ( brand new nurses with zero nursing experience are promoted to charge) If a family emergency ever arises....DO NOT call in because you will pay the price!!!! A company who states they thrive to achieve excellence means that those who are at the top earn the big bucks to dictate to the peons who earn them their money how to become robotic and HR screws everyone over who ever has a voice and isn't afraid to use it when they are wronged!!!! Bottom line is....DO NOT waste a year of your life....it isn't worth it!!! And when you do decide to part ways and give a solid two week notice that you clearly fulfilled, do not call in one time during that two week period and do not expect to be paid out for YOUR earned vacation time because the black and white print is in their favor and not at all clearly stated !!!! They would rather buy coloring books and car washes to give out as incentives for those who are exemplary!!!
Pros
can not think of one!!!
Cons
loved ones dying undermedicated, management, non existing staff at night, the list goes on and on and on
Most of clinical staff is great to work with.
nurse (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMarch 17, 2014
Like all places they have those little cliques, most are day team leaders and day shift nurses. They have a lot of influence on who works where and does what. HR is influenced by the people who are her friends. You are not recognized for your work ethic, picking up extra shifts, or knowledge. They will give you points for calling in sick, even if you are in the hospital or a family member is dying. They are short staffed often. At one time this was the hospice to work for, people have changed, atmosphere is not the same.
Pros
nice buildings, some great clinical staff
Cons
low pay, short staffed often, not team oriented, hospice philosophy isn't followed, more dementia patients
Productive and efficient work place where the patients care is the most important focus.
RN, CHPN, TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OhioApril 26, 2013
This organization is a productive and efficient work environment in which the management has lost the main focus on the well being of the patients care as well as the importance of caring for those family members who are having to deal with their family member passing away.
Pros
good pay
Cons
the management loosing their most important concern, the well being of the patient and the patients family.
Job security depends on who you know
RN (Former Employee) –  PerrysburgOctober 8, 2012
Admits non-hospice appropriate patients who require constant attention. Each nurse takes 6 of these and 1 aide to 12 patients. Lots of infighting between shifts. When managers make mistakes, somehow it ends up being blamed on the nurse (even if the manager told her to do something). Doctors are rude. Amateurish software. The manual (which is always out of date) gives erroneous information on how to enter info. HR dept is a joke. Non responsive. Pay scale is below area average. Raises are few and far between. Benefits are practically non-existent. No education benefits.
Pros
the public has a good opinion due to advertising campaign
Cons
high turnover. most nurses are surprised when they find out the above.
wonderful place to work, very mind stimulating and heart rewarding
Nursing Assistant/Hospice Aide/CHPNA (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OhioOctober 22, 2013
This is one of the best jobs I have ever had. HNWO is the complete reason I became and aide. And since then working here has allowed me to obtain my CHPNA which is great. We have the best team players as well as the best hospice in NW Ohio!
Pros
helping someone that is not able to help themselves
Cons
short breaks, getting attached to people and then they pass away
HNWO is an excellent provider of end-of-life care and an exceptional workplace.
Team Leader/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 6, 2013
Consistent with job description for Team Leader. I Learned time management/leadership skills as well as hospice specific nursing skills.

The hardest part of the job was coping with the high turnover of patients.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the other staff.
Pros
proximity to residence.
Cons
n/a
Team oriented, patient focused
RN (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHFebruary 3, 2013
Hospice of NW Ohio has been a refreshing atmosphere in which to work as a nurse! The focus is providing end of life care to patients and support to their families and that focus is shared throughout the company. The support from my team members as well as management does not go unnoticed and truly makes me appreciate my role!
Pros
support from your team (and other teams)
Loved my job...
CHPNA (Former Employee) –  Home Care ToledoJanuary 5, 2015
I love my job as a CHPNA. I was employed 5 years before I resigned. The last two years were terrible due to HR lack of professionalism and supervisor not having any backbone to stand up for star employees when called to the carpet for silly things. All the good aids were let go gradually just as their 5 years were approaching. I joked about that when my anniversary approached. Needless to say the heat was turned up. Nothing to do with my work ethic, attendance, charting or how I treated my families...but little things like glitches in charting...or my tone when I voiced an opinion about milage. We became hospice robots. Chastised when ever we had anything to say that challenged the new rules or random regulation. HR talked to you like your were two years old and sitting there next to you was your supervisor letting her. But would apologize after the meeting stating you should have never been called in...what?? I loved my families. I loved most of my nurses. My co workers were great. I love hospice. Its what I do. its what I still do. Its a purpose. They (the company) just forgot what it was.
Pros
three banks (vacay, sick and personal) paid holidays. every 8th weekend
Cons
human resources, no support
Great company! Great work!
Counselor/Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMarch 26, 2013
I have only been at Hospice for a short time, but I have been impressed about the work ethic of the staff and management and our commitment and compassion for patients and families! This hospice is true to its mission from the top to the bottom!
Excellent
Staff/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHAugust 13, 2014
One of the most rewarding jobs a nurse could have. Being able to walk patients and families through the hardest pat of life was amazing. I learned a great deal of empathy for all involved.
Genuinely Rewarding Work, Excellent Nursing Staff
Inpatient Hospice Aide (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 11, 2014
Caring for and providing emotional and spiritual support for patients and their loved ones in a home-like environment. The nursing and social services staff is second to none.
Caring enviroment
Unit secretary (Former Employee) –  Toledo,OhioOctober 2, 2012
Rewarding experience dealing with other personnel and patients and their family.
Answering multiple telephone lines
Clerical responsibilites
Hardest part of job was multiple physican orders

Comment – January 28, 2013

The reason this was the hardest part is because this is a nurses' job. Having a unit clerk transcribing doctors' orders has led to numerous medication errors at HNWO. Most reputable medical facilities have nurses handling doctors' orders. Of course, it's the nurse (and ultimately, the patient) who gets burned when the unit clerk makes an error (not the clerk and certainly not the doctor!)

was a great place
aide (Former Employee) –  toledo ohioMarch 1, 2014
Very caring and compassionate with patients. Very bad with employees. Firing people with no warning just saying they are making cuts and Bam! Fired with some story that is untrue
No empathy for employees
RN Hospice Home Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJuly 2, 2014
Lots of passive-aggressive behaviors from management and staff.
Pros
great patients and families
Cons
poor management
Great life work balance
Director of Quality and Compliance (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHApril 22, 2013
management supports professional growth and family life.