Hospice of Northwest Ohio Employee Reviews

Micromanagement at its best
RN (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 14, 2017
Hired in with three others, two left after about three weeks and I left after two months. Too much micro-management, I just shut down and quit. I got tired of not being trusted, and having every little thing I did scrutinized. It was so ridiculous and somewhat surreal. I almost thought someone would jump out and say "smile you are on candid camera."
Pros
Beautiful building and grounds, the families and the patients
Cons
Management, quasi leadership of some nurses
wouldn't work for another company
Bereavement (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 13, 2017
HNWO is one of the best companies to work for in the hospice industry and probably in the medical industry. The management is forward thinking but also grounded in the Mission of the organization. They are passionate about the mission of the organization.

HNWO has some of the best staff and they also are passionate about the work. Yes, it is difficult work. Yes, it is overwhelming at times. and yes, hospice has changed a great deal in the past 5 years. However, the organization has done well to keep pace with the changes while continuing to be focused on staff satisfaction and security.

There are problems in every organization on the planet but, for me, the problems at HNWO are areas for growth and worth living with for the general satisfaction of working here.

I actually left the organization and after a couple of years of bouncing around to other unsatisfying jobs, I returned and am grateful to be here.
Pros
good organization, great work, awesome coworkers
Cons
very busy, solitary work
We live our mission!
Dietary Manager (Current Employee) –  MultisiteAugust 25, 2017
Working here is very rewarding, we live our mission every day, and work with the patient and family's best interests in mind. Working for this non-profit has shown me what people can do when they work hard together for a cause that is driven by compassion. It is truly a team environment, and I go home at the end of the day feeling like we made a difference. Managers listen and encourage. I never feel like I don't have the tools for my job, or have a lack of support. I enjoy coming to work every day!
Pros
Flexible time, progressive positive environment, like-minded coworkers
Cons
Health insurance deductible is high
Outstanding!!
RN Staff (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMay 19, 2017
Excellent work environment in the inpatient unit. Staff is friendly, knowledgeable and gracious especially to new employee's. Wonderful place to work. The atmosphere is calm and peaceful and the teamwork is phenomenal. I have truly found my lifetime home!
Great workplace with wonderful people to work with.
HEALTH INFORMATION CLERK (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 7, 2017
Very rewarding place to work everyday with wonderful, caring people; management who cared about employees and a lot of opportunities to learn and grow
caring environment
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 14, 2017
Schedules vary in home care and flexibility is needed as daily schedules change per pt. needs. Management very involved as nurses are out in the field and they do try to triage to accommodate employees.
would not recommend working here
RN (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 31, 2017
The clinical staff is great but once you get involved with management- be careful. It's like walking on egg shells. Be careful what you say and who you say it to. Many changes all the time- creates a lot of stress learning the changes and then caring for terminal population. Management seems to not care about the caregiver- RN LPN HHA when making any decision within the agency. They have no respect for them.
Pros
Full -filling - caring for terminally ill pt's
Cons
very poor pay
Fulfilling place to work
Health Information Management (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHNovember 1, 2016
Working for HNWO has been an exceptional and fulfilling work experience. The people who commit their daily life and time to helping those who so desperately need the care has been very enriching and worth while. The people are great and the environment is like no other. Morning after morning I get the privilege of driving onto the beautiful grounds seeing the deer retreating into the wood line and walk the quiet halls to my desk before the patients wake and the daily hustle and bustle of business hours begin. Working for Hospice has been he best part of my professional thus far.
Pros
Fulfilling
One star is being generous!!!
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Northwest OhioOctober 4, 2016
A job that requires caring and compassion, don't expect to receive it from the company or management. NEVER believe your job is secure or that doing a good job will guarantee you keeping your job. HNWO has one goal...make money. Management talk about providing best care, but all they care about is making money and they don't care about what the overall cost or decrease in quality of life it costs the staff. NEVER TRUST ANYONE!!!!! Especially MANAGEMENT. This company does not care about anything the staff has to say about making it better. It is a sinking ship! HNWO was once great and cared about it's patients, staff, and families. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE! You can be a loyal, long-term employee and they will cut your position and walk you out, leaving great nurses and employees feeling like they were poor employees. Truth is...management and HR uncaring and mean. If you take a job at HNWO you will regret it one day!!
Pros
Some nurse are great! Too good for HNWO
Cons
Terrible atmosphere. Will tear you up
Run when you see they are hiring
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 30, 2016
Very unprofessional the workers are in groups and while they take care of patients good its a stressful job and not because of the work. The whole atmosphere is horrific. Management is a joke and they nit pick so much. Working here is like walking on pins and needles, you never know if u come to work and have a job. The turn over rate is extremely high and you work short all the time. The pay is a joke very low pay only good thing is you work 3 days a week 12.5 hours a day
Pros
12 hour shifts 3 days a week
Cons
Management, pay, benefits, no breaks unless the supervisor likes you, they hound you all the time, poor communication, hr is awful, the whole company mission is awful

Want to know more about Hospice of Northwest Ohio?

Ask a question
Clerical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJuly 1, 2015
Great employees who support each other is the best part.

The work is engaging and plenty of diversity. I learned many computer programs and learned how to configure new laptops with software. Learned how to troubleshoot staff computer issues and phone system.
Pros
Great group of employees
Cons
Costly benefits and in ability to promote within the organization.
Loved my job...
CHPNA (Former Employee) –  Home Care ToledoJanuary 5, 2015
I love my job as a CHPNA. I was employed 5 years before I resigned. The last two years were terrible due to HR lack of professionalism and supervisor not having any backbone to stand up for star employees when called to the carpet for silly things. All the good aids were let go gradually just as their 5 years were approaching. I joked about that when my anniversary approached. Needless to say the heat was turned up. Nothing to do with my work ethic, attendance, charting or how I treated my families...but little things like glitches in charting...or my tone when I voiced an opinion about milage. We became hospice robots. Chastised when ever we had anything to say that challenged the new rules or random regulation. HR talked to you like your were two years old and sitting there next to you was your supervisor letting her. But would apologize after the meeting stating you should have never been called in...what?? I loved my families. I loved most of my nurses. My co workers were great. I love hospice. Its what I do. its what I still do. Its a purpose. They (the company) just forgot what it was.
Pros
three banks (vacay, sick and personal) paid holidays. every 8th weekend
Cons
Human Resources, no support
Excellent
Staff/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHAugust 13, 2014
One of the most rewarding jobs a nurse could have. Being able to walk patients and families through the hardest pat of life was amazing. I learned a great deal of empathy for all involved.
No empathy for employees
RN Hospice Home Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJuly 2, 2014
Lots of passive-aggressive behaviors from management and staff.
Pros
Great patients and families
Cons
Poor management
Most of clinical staff is great to work with.
nurse (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMarch 17, 2014
Like all places they have those little cliques, most are day team leaders and day shift nurses. They have a lot of influence on who works where and does what. HR is influenced by the people who are her friends. You are not recognized for your work ethic, picking up extra shifts, or knowledge. They will give you points for calling in sick, even if you are in the hospital or a family member is dying. They are short staffed often. At one time this was the hospice to work for, people have changed, atmosphere is not the same.
Pros
Nice buildings, some great clinical staff
Cons
Low pay, short staffed often, not team oriented, hospice philosophy isn't followed, more dementia patients
was a great place
aide (Former Employee) –  toledo ohioMarch 1, 2014
Very caring and compassionate with patients. Very bad with employees. Firing people with no warning just saying they are making cuts and Bam! Fired with some story that is untrue
Genuinely Rewarding Work, Excellent Nursing Staff
Inpatient Hospice Aide (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 11, 2014
Caring for and providing emotional and spiritual support for patients and their loved ones in a home-like environment. The nursing and social services staff is second to none.
wonderful place to work, very mind stimulating and heart rewarding
Nursing Assistant/Hospice Aide/CHPNA (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OhioOctober 22, 2013
This is one of the best jobs I have ever had. HNWO is the complete reason I became and aide. And since then working here has allowed me to obtain my CHPNA which is great. We have the best team players as well as the best hospice in NW Ohio!
Pros
Helping someone that is not able to help themselves
Cons
short breaks, getting attached to people and then they pass away
HNWO is an excellent provider of end-of-life care and an exceptional workplace.
Team Leader/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 6, 2013
Consistent with job description for Team Leader. I Learned time management/leadership skills as well as hospice specific nursing skills.

The hardest part of the job was coping with the high turnover of patients.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the other staff.
Pros
Proximity to residence.
Cons
N/a
Productive and efficient work place where the patients care is the most important focus.
RN, CHPN, TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OhioApril 26, 2013
This organization is a productive and efficient work environment in which the management has lost the main focus on the well being of the patients care as well as the importance of caring for those family members who are having to deal with their family member passing away.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
The management loosing their most important concern, the well being of the patient and the patients family.