Hospice of the Bluegrass Employee Reviews

Patient care superb
Administrator to VP, Clinical Services (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 18, 2017
I found the employees who attended to the clinical needs of their patients to be caring and willing to go the extra mile. Administration had its challenges.
Pros
Excellent patient care
Cons
Administration
Professional and on the cutting edge
Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 8, 2017
Surrounded by team of caring professionals who love working with hospice patients. Patient centered. Workplace culture is caring, loving, professional, and inclusive. Best part of the job is emphasis on caring for the patient/families needs and concerns. Hardest is learning to manage the case loads, but with wonderful assistance it is easily mastered. Compensation is fantastic and is carefully engaged to train and retain the most professional staff in the area of hospice care.
on call nurse
Staff Nurse-(on-call) (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 20, 2017
This was a very difficult company to work for as there was not much support or back up. I worked by my self on the night sift. I was on call for any patients crisis and or death in the home. Often there was difficulty getting someone to back me up out in the field or I had wait a very long time to get help. Very stressful emotionally.
Good community work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 20, 2016
Great organization with excellent benefits. The toughest about this job is experiencing death almost every day, but this job was so rewarding to be a help during the end-of-life. There is a REAL disconnect between management and staff. Nurses come and go so quickly due to the STRESSFUL environment.
Pros
Great work in helping people in the community
Cons
Stressful job
great place to work
Intake Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJune 26, 2016
Great place to work and feel accomplished while helping others every day. Very much reward personally for the care provided
Very rewarding
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlan, KYApril 12, 2016
Working for Hospice Of The Bluegrass was one of my most rewarding jobs. I really enjoyed being part of a great work team who truly cared.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
I was only prn would have loved to been full time
32 county very busy hospice
Triage Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 19, 2016
Very busy and cutting edge hospice. In recent years has undergone some major changes some of which were not preventable and others that were. At end of my time there I noted some major financial problems which had greatly affected services and made changes in how and way care was provided. I really enjoyed the staff there and truly have never known a better bunch of people.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, no home life
PRN Hospice Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 20, 2015
Great job, Great People, and GREAT place to work. This company is back after a few years of decline. Therefore many lost their jobs a few years ago, but they are once again GROWING!!!
Strong community relationships
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Harlan, KYOctober 21, 2015
Hire very competent people who have a heart for the mission of hospice work. Do an excellent job with continuing education offerings. Focus on clinical skills.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
high turnover
The BEST place I ever worked as a nurse.
Case Manager/RN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 23, 2015
You are on your own with your case load. You work with a team of nurses, social workers and a chaplain. Everyone always seemed on the same page. GREAT place to work. Wish I was still there.
Home Health
Home health aide (Former Employee) –  Lexington KYJuly 29, 2015
Hospice of the bluegrass would be the perfect job for the perfect person. The situations some of the patients are in, are very hard to see on a daily basis.
amazing place to work
Chaplain and Bereavement Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYNovember 26, 2014
amazing place to work and develop, very helpful leadership
Pros
team atmosphere
Cons
lots of hours
I enjoyed my job
Social worker (Former Employee) –  Cynthiana, KYJuly 17, 2014
I enjoyed my job and was sad to be laid off. Many social workers lost their jobs at Hospice due to budget cuts and changes in Medicare.
Hob is an amazing place to work
Clinical Support and Triage Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 9, 2014
Hospice does amazing work but due to the times, and all the changes in healthcare and the many layoffs that have occured over the past year, I am not feeling secure in my position. Currently I am doing a different job than what I was hired to do 6 yrs ago and basically bored and no sight of a raise in the horizons.
Very satisfying working with the patients
Care Manager/Admissions RN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 19, 2014
Typical day involved traveling to patient homes or nursing homes to provide care management as needed. Being on call meant I had to carry a pager and frequently had several calls which I had to triage and at times call in the back up nurse. Provided instructions and necessary education over the phone when appropriate. Frequently had to make visits to pronounce a death and then contact the funeral home. While waiting for the funeral home to arrive, I would provide comfort to the family, help clean up the patient, and provide information to the family regarding the process followed after a death and the services Hospice provided to those who had lost a loved one. Would admit patients to the program which involved completing much paperwork, providing extensive patient and family education, assessing the patient's needs and following up to ensure they received the equipment, supplies, and medications needed. Giving report to the nurse assigned to that patient. Following up with the social worker, chaplain, or volunteer coordinator as needed. The administrator of the organization welcomed feedback, provided feedback, and basically had an open door policy. However, the nursing supervisor provided only negative feedback, rarely acknowledged me when I was in the office, appeared to have a poor attitude, despite being a supervisor, was critical of my charting, despite my attention to detail, always seemed hesitant when I asked to give her my concerns or feedback, never complimented me on any of my work, and would often question why I would do something, some of those things I had  more... learned in nursing school, and I knew were expectations of the Board of Nursing. Most of my co-workers were kind, caring, and compassionate and very hardworking in order to provide the necessary patient and family care. They were willing to answer my questions when I was unsure of how to handle a specific situation, and many of them were very complimentary of me.The hardest part of the job was working night shifts and being at home waiting for pages so I had to stay awake, which was difficult. Although it was difficult to attend a death the most enjoyable part of my job was providing compassionate and comfort to the patient and family and then to the family when the patient passed away.  less
Pros
Yearly bonuses, the satisfaction I received knowing I had comforted a family at their time of loss
Cons
Working nights, lack of positive feedback from supervisors, expectations which meant spending excessive time with a patient and thus excessive overtime
Overall a decent place to work
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYApril 15, 2014
Co workers were great. Stress increased as national healthcare system "reforms" and money becomes tighter and patient loads increase on the individual employees.
Great company to work for
Rhonda Drake, RN CHPN flex nurse (Current Employee) –  Cynthiana, KYApril 10, 2014
Hospice of the Bluegrass is very focused on patient care and the well being of the patient.
Pros
Excellent work environment.
Great place to work.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 24, 2014
This was my first hospice job and I needed a lot of support at first and got it not only from my managers, but the Drs. also. The staff was awesome. Since it was my first hospice job the hardest part was learning how best to deal with family grief symptoms. Upon arrival to the pts. homes the most enjoyable part was seeing relief on the families faces. They were so appreciative of the care.
Enjoyed working for this caring company
physician billing specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KyJanuary 17, 2014
Worked in the billing dept for 17 years and thoroughly enjoyed working with all my coworkers. Great atmosphere.
Pros
overall a great atmosphere
Cons
not alot of room to expand job positions
Great company to work for.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 22, 2013
I worked with many professional, caring, and compassionate people. I loved meeting and caring for so many wonderful people and providing private duty care and end of life care. Management was very supportive.
Cons
PRN work only