Hospice of the Bluegrass Employee Reviews

great place to work
Intake Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJune 26, 2016
Great place to work and feel accomplished while helping others every day. Very much reward personally for the care provided
Very rewarding
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlan, KYApril 12, 2016
Working for Hospice Of The Bluegrass was one of my most rewarding jobs. I really enjoyed being part of a great work team who truly cared.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
I was only prn would have loved to been full time
32 county very busy hospice
Triage Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 19, 2016
Very busy and cutting edge hospice. In recent years has undergone some major changes some of which were not preventable and others that were. At end of my time there I noted some major financial problems which had greatly affected services and made changes in how and way care was provided. I really enjoyed the staff there and truly have never known a better bunch of people.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, no home life
PRN Hospice Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 20, 2015
Great job, Great People, and GREAT place to work. This company is back after a few years of decline. Therefore many lost their jobs a few years ago, but they are once again GROWING!!!
Strong community relationships
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Harlan, KYOctober 21, 2015
Hire very competent people who have a heart for the mission of hospice work. Do an excellent job with continuing education offerings. Focus on clinical skills.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
high turnover
The BEST place I ever worked as a nurse.
Case Manager/RN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 23, 2015
You are on your own with your case load. You work with a team of nurses, social workers and a chaplain. Everyone always seemed on the same page. GREAT place to work. Wish I was still there.
Home Health
Home health aide (Former Employee) –  Lexington KYJuly 29, 2015
Hospice of the bluegrass would be the perfect job for the perfect person. The situations some of the patients are in, are very hard to see on a daily basis.
amazing place to work
Chaplain and Bereavement Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYNovember 26, 2014
amazing place to work and develop, very helpful leadership
Pros
team atmosphere
Cons
lots of hours
I enjoyed my job
Social worker (Former Employee) –  Cynthiana, KYJuly 17, 2014
I enjoyed my job and was sad to be laid off. Many social workers lost their jobs at Hospice due to budget cuts and changes in Medicare.
Hob is an amazing place to work
Clinical Support and Triage Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 9, 2014
Hospice does amazing work but due to the times, and all the changes in healthcare and the many layoffs that have occured over the past year, I am not feeling secure in my position. Currently I am doing a different job than what I was hired to do 6 yrs ago and basically bored and no sight of a raise in the horizons.
Very satisfying working with the patients
Care Manager/Admissions RN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 19, 2014
Typical day involved traveling to patient homes or nursing homes to provide care management as needed. Being on call meant I had to carry a pager and frequently had several calls which I had to triage and at times call in the back up nurse. Provided instructions and necessary education over the phone when appropriate. Frequently had to make visits to pronounce a death and then contact the funeral home. While waiting for the funeral home to arrive, I would provide comfort to the family, help clean up the patient, and provide information to the family regarding the process followed after a death and the services Hospice provided to those who had lost a loved one. Would admit patients to the program which involved completing much paperwork, providing extensive patient and family education, assessing the patient's needs and following up to ensure they received the equipment, supplies, and medications needed. Giving report to the nurse assigned to that patient. Following up with the social worker, chaplain, or volunteer coordinator as needed. The administrator of the organization welcomed feedback, provided feedback, and basically had an open door policy. However, the nursing supervisor provided only negative feedback, rarely acknowledged me when I was in the office, appeared to have a poor attitude, despite being a supervisor, was critical of my charting, despite my attention to detail, always seemed hesitant when I asked to give her my concerns or feedback, never complimented me on any of my work, and would often question why I would do something, some of those things I had  more... learned in nursing school, and I knew were expectations of the Board of Nursing. Most of my co-workers were kind, caring, and compassionate and very hardworking in order to provide the necessary patient and family care. They were willing to answer my questions when I was unsure of how to handle a specific situation, and many of them were very complimentary of me.The hardest part of the job was working night shifts and being at home waiting for pages so I had to stay awake, which was difficult. Although it was difficult to attend a death the most enjoyable part of my job was providing compassionate and comfort to the patient and family and then to the family when the patient passed away.  less
Pros
Yearly bonuses, the satisfaction I received knowing I had comforted a family at their time of loss
Cons
Working nights, lack of positive feedback from supervisors, expectations which meant spending excessive time with a patient and thus excessive overtime
Overall a decent place to work
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYApril 15, 2014
Co workers were great. Stress increased as national healthcare system "reforms" and money becomes tighter and patient loads increase on the individual employees.
Great company to work for
Rhonda Drake, RN CHPN flex nurse (Current Employee) –  Cynthiana, KYApril 10, 2014
Hospice of the Bluegrass is very focused on patient care and the well being of the patient.
Pros
Excellent work environment.
Great place to work.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 24, 2014
This was my first hospice job and I needed a lot of support at first and got it not only from my managers, but the Drs. also. The staff was awesome. Since it was my first hospice job the hardest part was learning how best to deal with family grief symptoms. Upon arrival to the pts. homes the most enjoyable part was seeing relief on the families faces. They were so appreciative of the care.
Enjoyed working for this caring company
physician billing specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KyJanuary 17, 2014
Worked in the billing dept for 17 years and thoroughly enjoyed working with all my coworkers. Great atmosphere.
Pros
overall a great atmosphere
Cons
not alot of room to expand job positions
Great company to work for.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 22, 2013
I worked with many professional, caring, and compassionate people. I loved meeting and caring for so many wonderful people and providing private duty care and end of life care. Management was very supportive.
Cons
PRN work only
Loved it!!!
SRNA (Former Employee) –  cynthania, kyJune 23, 2013
Was the best place I ever worked!!! And I only worked there PRN. If I would of got full time I would still be there.
Professional, ethical, and a fun place to work
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 7, 2013
I greatly enjoyed my experiences at Hospice of the Bluegrass. The employees and supervisors are great to work with. The mission and values of the company are incorporated into every aspect of the employees day-to-day lives. This place is filled with a passion for services and assisting families and individuals during their times of need.
Pros
gas
Cons
l
A Fun place to work all entertainment free to employees
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYMarch 27, 2013
A great place to work. working with the public from all southeastern Kentucky Counties.
Pros
free lunches and not needing week advance notice for a day off
Cons
working nights, week-ends and holidays
I wouldnt trade this experience due to my grandmother becoming a patient and I know this better helped me prepare for her death.
RN staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Harlan, Ky.February 29, 2012
This is a wonderful thing to prepare people for the last stages of life. You are so appreciated, and feel like you are so personally fulfilled in helping patients and families deal with their last days of life.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
call is bad, communication is a must

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospice of the Bluegrass. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3