Hospice of the Valley Employee Reviews

Working in the nd of life care units
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 1, 2015
I worked the end of life care units as a Nursing aide. I helped care for the patients and their families. I held the hands of the weak and was a shoulder to cry on.
Interesting
Chief Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 9, 2015
wonderful mission and clinical care. 20 sites, great thrift stores, wonderful volunteers, extremely helpful and compassionate. Comfortable In Patients units, caring staff and the CNA's do so much of the work, they are amazing.
Fun at HOV
HUMAN RESOURCES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 14, 2015
HOV is a fun place to work at as a RN or HHA. The Volunteer program is amazing.

HOV is getting ready to merge with Sutter, so job security for RNs and HHAs are secure.
Hospice of the valley for comfort not for profit
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2015
Hospice of the Valley provides compassionate end-of-life care. Supporting patients and families and relieve suffering in all realms – physical, emotional and spiritual. Our staff is available 24/7. Most services are delivered in patients’ homes. We serve thousands of families every day throughout central Arizona, including greater Phoenix. No one is ever turned away from Hospice of the Valley, regardless of insurance status or financial mean -
Pros
mutilple Valley locations
Cons
Foresee more lay offs due to health reform
Productive and efficient
Volunteer Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAJune 29, 2015
The volunteers and emplyees at Hospice of the Valley are very nice and dedicated to their jobs. The volunteers do a great job at catering to the needs of those being helped and those in need of help; i.e. floral arrangements for patients, house work for the elderly through Habitat for Humanity, and over all fundraising for the hospice. The employees are hard workers and selfless. They do what they can to insure the safety, positivity, and careness of the patients. They go above and beyond to make sure the volunteers are also doing their part. I learned to always offer assistance to those who need it and to those who look do not necessarily look like they could use a hand. I learned how to be social and how to cater to the different needs of each patient's well being as well as following directions and giving them as needed. I learned how to be a team player as well as the leader when need be. The most enjoyable part of volunteering was the friendships and bonds created with staff, co-volunteers, and patients.
Patient and family centered top rate care
Respite Care Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2015
I am a volunteer at Hospice of the Valley. They are the premier end of life provider in the Valley of the Sun. They are inclusive, sensitive, caring, and patient-centered. Even as a volunteer I am included in patient care and feel like a vital part of the team.
Pros
Great staff
Great volunteer experience!
Hospice Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 1, 2015
I was not paid for this position as it was only volunteer work. I finished my 6 weeks of training to become a hospice volunteer and then began to see patients shortly there after. I learned so much about the dying process and advanced my personal communication skills greatly.
Good Experience
IS Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 31, 2015
Staff level is kept low so there is always plenty to keep us busy. Everything seems to be an emergency though. Management wants high priority items done right away and they never stop coming.
Most recently as Health Management Nurse/Cs Manager
FT HMN/CM RN & PT Inpt Palliat Care (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 26, 2015
Typically challenging but always rewarding 10-12hr days meeting the healthcare and educational/individualized needs of clients and their family/supportive caregivers.

I have always enjoyed learning new treatments/plans to meet member healthcare needs and new technologies to document such plans.

Most recently I was challenged by reporting to Management long distance (2500 miles from AZ) requiring continued improvement communication and electronic documentation skills.

Working in an open "call center" environment required careful telephonic communications for continued privacy/maintainung confidentiality while adjusting time management and coworker communications to maintain positive interpersonal relationships.

The hardest part of the job was achieving the support and quality services to said clients within the time constraints assigned for telephonic communications as these were very needy/chronically ill members. It was also the most enjoyable part of the job as positive outcomes and mutual goals achieved.
NOTE: I found this most effective when able to meet face to face with members and families/practitioners (ie. as a Case Manager or bedside Palliative Care Nurse) and am terefore seeking a position to return to that environment.
Pros
Self education/updates for certification/CEUS 17 chronic diseases
Cons
Inefficient automated systems - technology did not support needs
LPN
LPN (Former Employee) –  Poland, OHJanuary 29, 2015
Performed EOL care and emotional support to patients and families. Daily goals were symptom control; pain, nausea, discomfort, respiratory distress. Perform palliative wound care and dressing changes. Prepare patients in the transition stages.
Pros
the job rewards itself
Cons
witnessing heartbreak and saddness
The Most AMAZING place in Arizona
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 20, 2014
I am extremely bias when it comes to the Phoenix Herpetological Society in regards to likability. I have loved reptiles since I was a child and probably will always have a love. This facility is educational and fun to be apart of. The animals provide such an immense amount of retribution for the things we do for them. PHS has been a savior for many people that have entered its property. Reptiles are a commonly misunderstood animal and genus as a whole. To be in the presence of someone whose first time ever touching or seeing a reptile is a priceless investment. I advocate for PHS any chance I can get. The family and volunteers are so synchronized in the same goal that no matter how chaotic it may seem it will still work out.
Pros
everything
Cons
not enough publication
Productive, caring, fun work place
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZOctober 17, 2014
The work was done and the residents and family members were taken care of. I learned how it was that things needed to be done, how to handle different situations, and that working with residents who have dementia is different than those who don't. All of the people that I had the pleasure to work with were all very kind, and hard working. They took the time to teach me and help gain experience. The hardest part was seeing the resident pass away but the best part was knowing that they were take care of and given the best care.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 13, 2014
Enjoyable experince and a good comapany to work for. Just like the commercials, everyone showed their kind and compassionate attitude towards fellow co-workers as well as the famlies.
Pros
enjoyed staff meetings
Cons
not enough time for lunch at the office
Excellent team
After Hours Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 11, 2014
In assisting individuals in death and dying could be hard, but also very rewarding. Every single day you feel as an important part of someone's life. The company is very dedicated to the quality of care and honoring patients and families process of dealing with dying of the loved one. The staff is immensely companioned and supportive.
Pros
fulfilling job
Cons
easy to burn out due to demands of work.
Intern/Volunteer
Volunteer Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZAugust 25, 2014
I have volunteered in several capacities with Hospice of the Valley, and have been given additional training to participate in in home care, dementia education, and currently serve as a 11th hour volunteer. This position is chosen due to prior positive service with Hospice of the Valley. Eleventh hour volunteers sit with patients who are in the process of actively dying. We are there to be of help to the family if they are present, and/or to give them respite during this difficult time. But the number one objective is to be a calming presence, ensuring that the patient does not have to die alone. Their are so many rewarding parts of volunteering for Hospice of the Valley, but in choosing one it would be when I have the honor of sitting with a patient who is dying and has no family or friends present. The idea that the act of my being their for someone who has no-one at this time is especially gratifying. the most difficult is when a dying patient has a resemblance to someone I know.
Volunteer position to support patients at end-stage of their lives.
Hospice Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2014
Volunteered to sit with a patient 4 hours a week to provide respite for family members who needed a break or to do errands. Provided simple caregiving such as fixing lunch, assisting patient to the bathroom, reading to them, or engaging in conversation if they desired.
Pros
flexible schedule; i learned a lot about end-stage life issues.
Beautiful Work
Hospice Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 31, 2014
I LOVED sharing time with hospice patients. HOV expertly facilitates volunteers with a enriching experience. They completely support all aspects of service from patient to volunteer, no one is left feeling alone or frustrated. This is the best organization I have ever been involved in, second to none!
Pros
full support in every way
A GREAT LEARNING EXPERINCE
CNA (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJuly 7, 2014
I LOVED THIS JOB AND AND EVERYTHING ABOUT IT , EXCEPT FOR WHEN THE PATIENTS DIED ON ME. THE MANGAMENT AND WHOLE HOSPICE TEAM ARE WHERE ALL AMAZING PEOPLE TO WORK WITH. THEY SHOWED LOTS OF LOVE AND CARE TO THIER PATIENTS
Pros
great place to get go cna experince
Cons
long hours, work on holidays
Solid and permaent company in the Greater Phoenix area
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Greater Phoenix AreaJuly 6, 2014
Professional positions are salaried and it is a 24/7 operating company.
Calm and friendly work environment
Special Projects Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 29, 2014
I very much enjoyed working for Hospice; the workers were very polite and the work environment was quiet and calm and made getting work done very enjoyable.
Pros
polite co-workers, lovely break room
Cons
short breaks

4.2