Hospice of the Valley

Hospice of the Valley Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
Chaplain (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 2, 2017
Hospice of the Valley had a culture of family and team before the recent merger. The relationship between the employees is one of respect, love and fun. We take our jobs seriously, and work and play well together. The Social Worker and Spiritual Care team has always been the heart of Hospice of the Valley. It was a privilege and pleasure to work with these wonderfully gifted and spiritual people.
Pros
People
Cons
Merger
Interesting place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 20, 2017
When I was training at this agency I was told by an employee who had been with the company for many years that "this is a very political place". I learned after awhile what she was referring to. Image was everything and 100% customer satisfaction was expected. There was no continuity of services provided and those who were considered VIPs or who were able to be vocal got the goods. The rest received the basic services. Teamwork, although spoken of, was not the norm on the team I was on. The people who had good work ethic did fantastic work and showed their care greatly. But those who wanted to slide "under the radar" did just that with minimal effort. Very interesting place.
Pros
Education
Cons
Image is everything
Team work like family
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 30, 2016
Working for this organization has been a dream of mine since 2011 when I started my nursing career in hospice. I left to move to TX but came back and am so glad to be back home!

Wonderful place to work, people are friendly, like family, keeping positive all the time is so important :)
n/a
Director of Patient Care (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHSeptember 29, 2016
Not Applicable for this to be part of this process. The overall rating is excellent in my opinion and I do not find this helpful in the use of this site.
watch out
nurse (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 15, 2016
The PCU is a great work environment. Loved working with the staff, patients and patient's families. I really believed HOV stood by the principles they preach, which is to be caring and compassionate. I believed this up until I was let go because I became seriously ill. I had been verbally promised my job once released by my physicians until they learned of my diagnosis. They decided the insurance claims would cost them too much. Not only did they leave me unemployed and without insurance, they sent me a bill for the insurance premium for my last month of employment. Really??? They are the largest hospice company in the state with more than 2500 patients. To be treated this way was extremely disappointing to me and appalling to my physicians. If this was the state of California it would be a lawsuit. They are great place to work until you have a personal crisis, then watch out, you'll be kicked to the curb without a second thought.
Pros
great patients and families
Cons
not trustworthy
Non-profit for who?
Prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 6, 2014
Hospice of the Valley is one of those "non--profits" (yeah right) who are worried about one thing and one thing only....the bottom line. Management comes across as if they care but the reality is they don't. If this were a family, it would be a very large dysfunctional one. On one hand, the gave a great package to those they fired when cut backs came but then froze any raises or promotions to those they kept. Hmmmm? Really? So you penalize those who were good enough to make your cuts but rewarded those who you fired...what message does that send to employees? Things work very, very slow with this company and there is little or no opportunity for advancement.

If your looking to be a yes man and not have a thought of your own, this may be the company for you. If you like a challenge, advancement, regular raises and fair treatment...look elsewhere.
Pros
Regular schedule, financially secure.
Cons
Management, opportunity for advancement is non-existant, did I mention management?
Wonderful work environment which provided career education as well as outside culteral and current social event education in the form of in-house semi
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2012
I loved working for this great not for profit hospice. I truly believe in it's cause and our family has personally used them ever since for family members in need. The management was great, it was a fun, educational place to work that offered many in-service opportunities for employee's, I was able to meet famous authors to Buddhist Monks because of that benefit. I feel Hospice of the Valley is run very efficiently and logically. Training is abundant and the computer operating system is very user friendly. It is a place full of wonderful professional people as well. One of my favorite jobs!
Pros
educational opportunities, training, opportunities for advancement, great management and team-work environment, a cause to believe in.
Cons
perhaps too many meetings
Excellent environment in which to care for patients
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 3, 2012
Quality communication between Administration and clinical staff. Competitive salary, good benefits, supportive supervisors.
Pros
supportive supervisors, quality continuing education opportunities
fabulous work environment
receptionist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2016
The best people and work environment there is. At this time i am only a volunteer but would love to work for them . This is how a company should work. And this is the best non-profit there is .
Pros
excellent working conditions
Cons
Rewarding place to work. Wonderful people with great activities during holidays.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 5, 2012
Wonderful place with strong values and great mission. Training very helpful when dealing with end of life care. Lovely people for the most part. Team work very effective to support pt. and family needs.
Management available and understanding. Learned to view Hospice more than just an end of life care. It offers the opportunity to help pts and family to view death as a part of life and teaching to cope with difficult decisions by offering tools and support from nursing to chaplain services.
Enjoyed working with patients and our team. We are viewed as more than just employees but, an important asset to the company.
Hardest part of the job sometimes is staying objective at times of conflict between family and pt. and remain neutral at all times.
Pros
flexibility. able to plan pt. visits, baked goods in the kitchen, coffee.
Cons
bieng on call often.
the best and largest not-for profit hospice organization in the United States
Director of Clinical Services (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2013
The core staff is passionate about the care they provide; it shows every day; a strong dedication. Management also has a strong conviction in caring for the staff. The philosophy is one of open feed-back which is strongly practiced. This keeps the lines of communication open at every level; no matter your station you must be open and accepting of anothers perception. This helps each individual grow within. "Take care of your people and they will take care of the patients and families".
I so enjoyed working with everyone and having the same mission and drive.
Pros
Employees always come first
Seeking New Challenge
RN Hospice Nurse (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 19, 2014
Typical day in the life of a triage phone nurse. I multitask between taking patient /family calls and helping them with symptom/crisis management and referral to other team members as needed as well as dispatch and organize nurse visits and log visits and calls on excel document. At end of day I send report to my supervisor of the RN, CNA, and nurse visits. I work well with a multitude of disciplines -from other phone nurses, field nurses, social workers, doctors and chaplains.
Pros
Good hours, nice co workers
Cons
Duties continuously change-position has changed 3 times in past 6 months
Very Rewarding experience
Internship (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85014February 28, 2016
This internship has given me experience in working with Lenovo laptops, HP desktops and IPhones to deploy to nurses. It has also given me experience in alloy so I know how to use a ticketing system.
Productive and efficient
Volunteer Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAJune 29, 2015
The volunteers and emplyees at Hospice of the Valley are very nice and dedicated to their jobs. The volunteers do a great job at catering to the needs of those being helped and those in need of help; i.e. floral arrangements for patients, house work for the elderly through Habitat for Humanity, and over all fundraising for the hospice. The employees are hard workers and selfless. They do what they can to insure the safety, positivity, and careness of the patients. They go above and beyond to make sure the volunteers are also doing their part. I learned to always offer assistance to those who need it and to those who look do not necessarily look like they could use a hand. I learned how to be social and how to cater to the different needs of each patient's well being as well as following directions and giving them as needed. I learned how to be a team player as well as the leader when need be. The most enjoyable part of volunteering was the friendships and bonds created with staff, co-volunteers, and patients.
fun and Quiet work environment
Temp Employment (Former Employee) –  Phoenix,AZJune 15, 2012
A typical at work was quiet and coworkers were friendly and respectful. I learned general clerical skills.The most enjoyable part of the job was to come to work with happy friendly employes.
Pros
friendly coworkers, excellent benefits and pay
Cons
n/a
Hospice of the valley for comfort not for profit
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2015
Hospice of the Valley provides compassionate end-of-life care. Supporting patients and families and relieve suffering in all realms – physical, emotional and spiritual. Our staff is available 24/7. Most services are delivered in patients’ homes. We serve thousands of families every day throughout central Arizona, including greater Phoenix. No one is ever turned away from Hospice of the Valley, regardless of insurance status or financial mean -
Pros
mutilple Valley locations
Cons
Foresee more lay offs due to health reform
Fun at HOV
HUMAN RESOURCES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 14, 2015
HOV is a fun place to work at as a RN or HHA. The Volunteer program is amazing.

HOV is getting ready to merge with Sutter, so job security for RNs and HHAs are secure.
The Most AMAZING place in Arizona
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 20, 2014
I am extremely bias when it comes to the Phoenix Herpetological Society in regards to likability. I have loved reptiles since I was a child and probably will always have a love. This facility is educational and fun to be apart of. The animals provide such an immense amount of retribution for the things we do for them. PHS has been a savior for many people that have entered its property. Reptiles are a commonly misunderstood animal and genus as a whole. To be in the presence of someone whose first time ever touching or seeing a reptile is a priceless investment. I advocate for PHS any chance I can get. The family and volunteers are so synchronized in the same goal that no matter how chaotic it may seem it will still work out.
Pros
Cons
Not enough publication
A great learning experince
CNA (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJuly 7, 2014
I loved this job and and everything about it , except for when the patients died on me. The mangament and whole hospice team are where all amazing people to work with. They showed lots of love and care to thier patients
Pros
GREAT PLACE TO GET GO CNA EXPERINCE
Cons
LONG HOURS, WORK ON HOLIDAYS
Good Experience
IS Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 31, 2015
Staff level is kept low so there is always plenty to keep us busy. Everything seems to be an emergency though. Management wants high priority items done right away and they never stop coming.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospice of the Valley. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2