Hospice of the Western Reserve Employee Reviews

ashtabula office was fun and productive
CHPNA (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHDecember 27, 2015
I go into the homes and provide care for terminally ill patients and make them comfortable in their final stages of life. The Ashtabula team followed the mission and we care about our patient . We cared for our patients in a special way . being there for them and their families. Our boss was like our mother and team was a family. The hardest part of my job was leaving my home care team. The most fun thing about our job was being there with the patients and helping them.
Pros
Pto and 401k
Cons
health care
Overworked/underpaid
Volunteer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Corp. bldg. St. Clair Ave. Cleveland, OHDecember 7, 2015
It's not uncommon to work 50 hr. weeks, getting paid for 40. They keep adding responsibilities, but don't compensate in salaries. Low morale.
An abundance of educational opportunities for growth.
Patient Socialization Associate Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 11, 2015
Well known company.
Privilege to volunteer with this company.
The patient has a whole team comprising off all disciplines.
Excellent communication from all to be aware of patient's care.
Nice place to work
HNA (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, OHOctober 9, 2015
I do enjoy working here I have meet a lot of nice people. The PTO is great. Managers try and work with you. Team work is good. The best part of my job meeting new people. The worse part is the driving all day.
Pros
meeting great people
Cons
driving all over
Great team work
State Tested Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHJuly 28, 2015
I loved working with all the amazing staff here. Taking care of our patients was top priority. Each aide would have between 3-6 clients a day. I learned that patience is a must in the medical field. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing that we made a difference in a person/families lives
Pros
making your own schedule with patients
Cons
no break
Nice environment to work
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 20, 2015
A typical day would include helping patients with their needs. Giving them water and food were mainly the big things. Everyone is very helpful and there is no stress.
Hospice care for the terminally ill.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 30, 2015
A typical day included working with and assisting up to three patients each day. It was rewarding knowing that I helped make peoples' last days comfortable and serene.
Management was generally hands-off in hospice care to promote a calm and assuring environment.
The hardest part of the job was having children as patients and separating emotions and professionalism.
Pros
Making their last days their best days.
Cons
Losing children.
30-member team serving fluctuating case loads
Spiritual Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 16, 2015
A typical day would involve visiting 4-6 hospice patients/families, calling/texting RNs updates, calling/texting SWs updates as necessary, performing electronic medical documentation on each visit, possibly orienting college student or new employee, possibly teach one chapter of new volunteer training in evening. May work scheduled extended hours.
I learned more about cultural issues, how different religions/faiths/cultures view suffering, dying and death - and how to provide the best care for each patient and family.
Management balances upper management meetings, patient needs, scheduling nursing assistants, answering questions, being liaison with staff physician, and the ever-changing Medicare requirements pertaining to hospice services. My manager was focused, efficient, and available to team members.
My team was focused on meeting patient needs; professional relationship building concerned care of patients. Some office conversation when team members' paths crossed.
The hardest part of this job was when patients/families refused to allow the interventions that would ease their suffering.
The most enjoyable part was building relationships and trust with our patients and families.
Pros
Making a difference.
Cons
None.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioMarch 10, 2015
It was a really fun place to work at. The people were really nice and they do a good job for the customer. I was on the road a little bit too much but overall, a great place.
Pros
environment
Cons
travel
a typical day
Security (Former Employee) –  Euclid, OHJanuary 2, 2015
A typical day at work while working security was walking the ground, making sure everyone felt safe. The hardest part of the job was developing a relationships with the patients. It was a nice/sad place to work
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 28, 2014
I was a volunteer and learned how to deal with the public.
how to deal with family
nice place to work.
State Tested Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, OHOctober 6, 2014
Provide assistance with ADLs to individuals with disabilities.
love it
CHPNA (Current Employee) –  ClevelandOctober 3, 2014
love it
love my coworkers
great work environment
love what I do
Caring and loving work place
Dietary Server (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 3, 2014
I would start off on tray line preparing and fixing patients trays. I learned about food safety and health care. My coworkers and team leader were enjoyable to be around. The hardest part was closing the kitchen by yourself at night. The enjoyable part was giving patients excellent customer service.
loved the out look on patient care and quality of life for each patient and their familys
State Tested Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHMarch 26, 2014
At my last position at this company i worked the weekend program. I loved this, because at the time, my spouse and I were foster parents. This postion allowed me to have the flexibility to be able to help my children and their familys. The company was good at helping us keep a balance between home and work. The management was our partner as well as our boss, which helped keep good communication going. Weekends were very long but I came home feeling good knowing that I did what I could to help my patients and their family through a very difficult time. I felt I was well trained and given the tools and help to do the job well and safely.
Pros
weekend program allowed me to be with my family durning the week.
Cons
i missed a lot of weekend activities
While working there, I found everyone is the same. No ego trips!
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 29, 2013
An excellent place to work. Staff support is good. Co workers support each other staying late to help finish their shifts so as not to overwhelm next shift.. Hospice Nursing is especially draining physically and emotionally. I found that whatever the discipline from STNA to maintenance to RN, all worked together and were able to lighten the moment some way.

The hardest part of job is night shift admissions when unplanned patients arrive without information from admitting facility. The most enjoyable part of the job was the support of each other.
Pros
autonomy to utilize expertise and express ideas to physicians.
Cons
change to salary wages rather than hourly.
Deeply satisfying work
Home Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  OHNovember 23, 2013
Serve patients and families through end of life. Support through symptom management, education, emotional support,, Collaboration with interdisciplinary team and MDs.
Team was key in this workplace; a positive attitude prevailed
Hospice Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Euclid, OHSeptember 2, 2013
There was no such thing as a typical day at Hospice. Each day had its own set of challenges, and blessings. The most wonderful, yet most difficult part of the job as well, was caring for the WWII veterans. What an honor to escort these heroes out of The House, draped with The Flag as our final act of gratitude.
Pros
new-found friendships, development of inner strength.
Cons
very little time for lunch, no breaks in the 12 hour work day
N/A
Volunteer Aide (Former Employee) –  Euclid, OHJuly 31, 2013
A TYPICAL DAY IS COMING IN AND MAKING SURE EVERYTHING IS CLEAN. I THEN WOULD HELP PREP MEALS AND DELIVER THEM TO THE PATIENTS. SOMETIMES I WOULD SIT IN WITH THE PATIENTS AND HELP THEM AT THEIR REQUEST.
A rewarding experience
Clinical Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 29, 2013
Hospice of the Western Reserve is a wonderful organization that is able to help terminally/chronically ill people, and their loved ones, through what is often an emotional and stressful time. I am very proud to be a part of Hospice of the Western Reserve and to be able to meet with some of the amazing people that are under their care. Being a clinical volunteer and visiting with my hospice patients is a very rewarding experience.

4.3