Hospice of the Western Reserve Employee Reviews

Positive Team Culture, Unreasonable Productivity Expectations
Registered Nurse Homecare (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 28, 2016
HWR does an excellent job of meeting patient needs. Highly skilled and devoted physicians and staff overall. The office I was with has a very supportive and welcoming culture. However recent changes in top management together with changes to Medicare have resulted in totally unrealistic demands on nurses time. Position is salaried and effectively requires many, many hours of unpaid work from RN's.
Pros
opportunity to provide excellent hospice services
Cons
terrible work life balance
Overall a great place to work.
RN On Call (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 12, 2016
Hospice of Western Reserve is one of the biggest and best hospices in the country, there training of their employess in how to care for terminally ill patients and their families, surpasses all others. The hardest part of the job was being on backup and activated to work on my days off just about everytime I was on backup. The very best part of the job is and always will be the patients and families that you are able to care for and help through an extremely difficult time in all of their lives.
Pros
Training, compensation, great coworkers.
Cons
Back up scheduling for on call.
Good position at the time
Did data entry (Former Employee) –  Euclid, OHJanuary 26, 2017
WAs a temporary job through an agency. WAs given the chance to learn the receptionist job as well. Worked with a variety of kind caring people...liked the atmosphere.
Pros
Learned to work in 2 programs at the same time
Cons
no chance for direct hire
Work place is nice
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 4, 2017
The workplace is overall a nice place and we also have alot of freedom. We drive to our clients homes an provide one on one patient care.
Pros
We work by ourselves on the road
Cons
We need longer lunch breaks and a increase on mileage
Calm and Loving Environment
Hospice Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 13, 2016
Hospice of Reserve is an excellent to work if are able to care for terminally ill patients. The staff provides wonderful care to all of their patients. I would recommend Hospice to anyone who is in need of employment or in need of a facility for terminally ill family member.
Enjoyable
Hospitality Security and Maintaince (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 3, 2016
My job was as enjoyable as it can be in a field that revolves around the passing of loved ones. The management could be very understanding at times and willing to work with employees to get things done. The most enjoyable part of my day was getting to watch the sunrise with patients that liked to wake up early just to watch the sunrise.
Pros
I was able to help comfort people.
Cons
Breaks were a little short.
Very well organized
DIRECT CARE VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 11, 2016
I love volunteering with the Hospice of the Western Reserve. They provide great service. Great educational programs.
ashtabula office was fun and productive
CHPNA (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHDecember 27, 2015
I go into the homes and provide care for terminally ill patients and make them comfortable in their final stages of life. The Ashtabula team followed the mission and we care about our patient . We cared for our patients in a special way . being there for them and their families. Our boss was like our mother and team was a family. The hardest part of my job was leaving my home care team. The most fun thing about our job was being there with the patients and helping them.
Pros
Pto and 401k
Cons
health care
30-member team serving fluctuating case loads
Spiritual Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 16, 2015
A typical day would involve visiting 4-6 hospice patients/families, calling/texting RNs updates, calling/texting SWs updates as necessary, performing electronic medical documentation on each visit, possibly orienting college student or new employee, possibly teach one chapter of new volunteer training in evening. May work scheduled extended hours.
I learned more about cultural issues, how different religions/faiths/cultures view suffering, dying and death - and how to provide the best care for each patient and family.
Management balances upper management meetings, patient needs, scheduling nursing assistants, answering questions, being liaison with staff physician, and the ever-changing Medicare requirements pertaining to hospice services. My manager was focused, efficient, and available to team members.
My team was focused on meeting patient needs; professional relationship building concerned care of patients. Some office conversation when team members' paths crossed.
The hardest part of this job was when patients/families refused to allow the interventions that would ease their suffering.
The most enjoyable part was building relationships and trust with our patients and families.
Pros
Making a difference.
Cons
None.
loved the out look on patient care and quality of life for each patient and their familys
State Tested Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHMarch 26, 2014
At my last position at this company i worked the weekend program. I loved this, because at the time, my spouse and I were foster parents. This postion allowed me to have the flexibility to be able to help my children and their familys. The company was good at helping us keep a balance between home and work. The management was our partner as well as our boss, which helped keep good communication going. Weekends were very long but I came home feeling good knowing that I did what I could to help my patients and their family through a very difficult time. I felt I was well trained and given the tools and help to do the job well and safely.
Pros
weekend program allowed me to be with my family durning the week.
Cons
I missed a lot of weekend activities
While working there, I found everyone is the same. No ego trips!
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 29, 2013
An excellent place to work. Staff support is good. Co workers support each other staying late to help finish their shifts so as not to overwhelm next shift.. Hospice Nursing is especially draining physically and emotionally. I found that whatever the discipline from STNA to maintenance to RN, all worked together and were able to lighten the moment some way.

The hardest part of job is night shift admissions when unplanned patients arrive without information from admitting facility. The most enjoyable part of the job was the support of each other.
Pros
Autonomy to utilize expertise and express ideas to physicians.
Cons
Change to salary wages rather than hourly.
Providing comfort for those on life's last journey.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 26, 2016
Very rewarding and demanding position. Hours extend into personal life on frequent basis making it difficult to plan outside activities. Have gained much knowledge from MD, NP's and pharmacy staff.
Pros
Making a difference in a patient's life
Cons
work and personal life balance
Hospice care for the terminally ill.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 30, 2015
A typical day included working with and assisting up to three patients each day. It was rewarding knowing that I helped make peoples' last days comfortable and serene.
Management was generally hands-off in hospice care to promote a calm and assuring environment.
The hardest part of the job was having children as patients and separating emotions and professionalism.
Pros
Making their last days their best days.
Cons
Losing children.
Organized well run Hospice
Hospice RN for Home/Alternate (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHNovember 12, 2012
Well organized Hospice.Management approach ''hands on''Opportunities of continous Education available at all times.Works with staff on flexabilty and availabilty.Patients always placed first in all areas of nursing care.Co workers really accomadating with hours and working on time lines for patients.
Pros
flexible with hours and off duties.
Cons
sometimes due to shortage of staff you would be working 40 hrs instead of pt or prn.
fun
Licensed Practical Nurse, On-Call Team (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 18, 2016
Fun place to work at wal-mart. The only downfall was being a CSM, long work days, traveling, and working on thanksgiving and long nights Christmas eve.
Excellent atmosphere
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 26, 2016
Great place to work, great people to work with, everybody is on the same page, does not have the typical bickering and backstabbing you find at a lot of places
Human resource intern day
Human Resource Intern (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 3, 2012
I currently am shadowing the Human Resource Generalist to learn more about the position. Also, I perform filing and data entry on benefits and employee records.
In the future, I will be helping with basic Human resource tasks.
Pros
great learning experience and chance to gain enxperience
An abundance of educational opportunities for growth.
Patient Socialization Associate Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 11, 2015
Well known company.
Privilege to volunteer with this company.
The patient has a whole team comprising off all disciplines.
Excellent communication from all to be aware of patient's care.
Overworked/underpaid
Volunteer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Corp. bldg. St. Clair Ave. Cleveland, OHDecember 7, 2015
It's not uncommon to work 50 hr. weeks, getting paid for 40. They keep adding responsibilities, but don't compensate in salaries. Low morale.
Nice place to work
HNA (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, OHOctober 9, 2015
I do enjoy working here I have meet a lot of nice people. The PTO is great. Managers try and work with you. Team work is good. The best part of my job meeting new people. The worse part is the driving all day.
Pros
meeting great people
Cons
driving all over

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospice of the Western Reserve. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3