Hospital for Special Surgery Employee Reviews

Great work and life balance.
Medical Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2017
There were times that the place seemed stressful but I believe that depends on the department. I worked in a stressful department but at the bed of my shift I was able to leave work at work.
Pros
Great people to work with!
Cons
Hierarchy
stressful environment to work
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 29, 2017
Working at HSS there is always a shortage of workers, the patient rate ratio is high. These patients are very needy, as a worker, you can never do enough to please them. Management is only concern about their ratings, Press Ganey scores and if there is any kind of complaints against their employees. As an employee, you don't feel supported by your manager and upper management. Their attitude is, if you don't like it, "there's the door".
Pros
pays well
Cons
Management does care about their staff, not enough employees to get the job done, it's also a cutthroat place to work.
no comment
Director Biomedical Engineering (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2017
Working department staff a pleasure. working with other departments fun an challenging. Good atmosphere to work in. Most enjoyable was helping patients recover.
enjoyed working in the unit
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 13, 2017
typically had 10 patients then but is was manageable, worked as admitting nurse from 11am to 11pm and time went by fast because it was a busy unit. I had enjoyed working in the unit and the culture was very good.
Pros
the compensation was very good
Cons
would arrive home late around bacause of the commute frm nyc to queens
stressful at times
Registrar (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2017
It could be stressful and hectic. by being professional we are able to do the work in a timely manner. management is very helpful and always send us some help or ask other co-workers if they willing to stay to help. When we do that we get free lunch or an extra day off.
Pros
free lunch are given during lab week, holidays, retirement parties
Cons
when there's not enough staff.we have to shorten our break
Rn
Registered Nurse, Neurology Infusion Per Diem (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2017
Good place to work but I am happy being only per diem at the moment. I highly recommend this facility. ....................................................
Hss
SQL Server DBA (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2017
Generally a good place to work, but the IT area is poorly managed by people who have no or very knowledge of IT technology.
Regular hours. Hard to travel location.
poor
Kansas Heart Hospital (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 25, 2017
The boss didnt listen when i ask her to fix my my floor cleaning machine so i had to drag mop behind me to clean up water . hours sucked and pay wasnt good
Productive and Fun workplace
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2017
Hospital For Special Surgery is a great place to learn and Grow everyone is friendly and helpful. not only do they want you to move forward they do. it with a smile on their face
Growth, Education and Collaborative environment
Manager, Information System (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2017
We have a genuine family environment with all the employees and patients and their family compliments of what we do at HSS makes it even more rewarding to work here. Management is eager to assist with your ideas to nurture and support its growth if it is deemed beneficial to the organization. The hardest part is our lack of advancements in technology but I understand it because patients health needs comes first. It is enjoyable to know that your contribution is making a change in the health the people we care for at HSS.
diverse cultural background
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2017
different cultural backgrounds of employees make it fun and educational but can be challenging at times too. Recently room for growth is being challenged depending on who your manager is, that is to say it is at their discretion to approve of in house transfer.
Pros
tuition reimbursement for nursing students
Cons
short breaks, 45mins for 12 hour shifts.
Great Benefits and atmosphere
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2017
High end place to work at. Professional work environment, nice and pleasant atmosphere. Hospital has a great reputation for orthopedic and Rheumatology in the US.
Benefits
Cons
short breaks
Great Place to Work and Advance
Central Sterile Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2017
Up to date technology. Vision oriented setting.
Staff are eager to learn and team work is highly encouraged and accepted.
Department Director is informative of new changes that occur in the department and throughout the facility.
Pros
Great team of employees and Managers
Cons
Extremely busy and short staffed
student nurse
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 7, 2017
I worked here as a student nurse externship and then as a nursing assistant after. The environment is very efficient and coworkers are very helpful and nice.
A typical dayat work
Transporter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2017
My duty is to transport patients in stretchers or wheelchair to different floor in the hospital. Also take them to their room, X-ray, ultrasound, or leaving hospital and so on
Pros
Transport patients to their room
Cons
Some time it do get slow
Productive place to work
Patient Registrar (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2017
A typical day of work consists of a few daily routines. I learn alot especially from the people around me in their respective careers. Management is always willing to work with you and make life easier. It such a cooperative place to work. The hardest part of the job is the independency and ability to make decisions on your own but with the respective training and support from your higher ups you are confident enough to make those decisions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the cooperation from everyone around you.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
short breaks
Amazing
Data Analysis Administrator (Former Employee) –  510 East 73rd StreetSeptember 22, 2017
Words can not describe the absolute amazing experience it was to be able to work in amazing, professional, and embracing environment such as this one.
Energetic and satisfying
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10021September 20, 2017
Love the fast pace work day, keeps me learning. My daily experience is fulfilling. My coworkers are team players and I learn from them on a daily basis
Productive place to work with room to grow.
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2017
HSS is a great place to work. Engagement amongst staff and patients are important here. With that being said, it provides a home-away from home/close community environment that makes working and a stay here exceptional.
Hospital Culture Good
Epic Trainer - Inpatient (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2017
This was a lot better than the previous hospital, but it was hard to gauge when the recruiter is calling the shot and not the hospital.

Tutorials were made available

Not enough time in the playground.(sandbox)
Pros
Hospital Culture
Cons
Recruiting Firm

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospital for Special Surgery. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3