Hospital for Special Surgery

Hospital for Special Surgery Employee Reviews

Productive work day, never a dull moment.
Practice Manager & Epic Support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2016
I managed the operations of my assigned contracted offices. I troubleshoot EPIC issues the offices/staff may have since I am an EPIC Credentialed trainer. I worked on numerous projects at a time and had to complete by the assigned deadline. I prepared for weekly & monthly meetings such as putting presentations together, sending out calendar invites and coordinating meeting location/date/time. My day consists of working with people and providing them with the best service as possible and following up on matters that are pending to be resolved.
Great Entry level Job
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Upper East Side, NYJanuary 13, 2017
I've been an employee of HSS for 6 1/2 years. It has definitely been a great opportunity; I've gained so much knowledge in regards to dealing with different types of people and meeting deadlines. The most challenging aspect of my job has been juggling multiple deadlines, however because of my great team we always got through it all. My co-workers have made my job much easier because we are all on board with helping each other. This is a trait that I will carry forward, because communication and team players make any job much easier!
Pros
flexible schedules, vacation package
Cons
commute, health benefits
Good Place to work depending on your department
Lead MSK Sonographer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2017
I work with direct patient care in ultrasound. Ultrasound is a very limited field for upward mobility so it is hard for me to judge the company in that sense. The vacation time there is great. minimum 3-4 weeks vacation for the lowest man. 6 weeks for mid to higher positions with 5 years experience.
Pros
Great vacation time min package
Co-workers & HSS in general
Volunteer Program (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2016
The PTs are very knowledgeable and very polite towards everyone. I volunteered in the Joint Mobility Center, and their management team are beyond organized and really competent in fulfilling the desires of the patients/clients. In overall, this hospital is by far one of the best hospitals in the nation.
Pros
Free Lunches and gifts
Cons
N/A
productive place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2016
great place to work. a typical day includes answering phones and scheduling appts for ortho surgeon. I've learned to have patience when dealing with patients. the managers are supportive and fair. colleagues are welcoming and helpful. I enjoy working here, however, with my degree in health education there isn't enough room for growth.
Registrar - Call Center (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2016
A typical work day. 8 hours of talking to patients on the phone ensuring that all their needs are met prior to the nurse calling them with insrtuctions. Confirming surgery times and accepting time changes from the operting rooms. I learned how to be more patient and work better with my team. We moved offices a few times, I had to learn how to be flexiable and accomidating. My co workers are/were the best, very encouraging and easy going. The hardest part of the job was delievering bad new to patients about not having surgery booked, or time changes, or even saying they could not have their time as they requested. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with such a warm group of people and the patients were very entertaining also. I gave alot of my time to my job but they gave me so much more, was able to expand my learning skills and further my education.
Budget Accountant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Track department operating expenses both non salary and salary.

Learned about budgeting process and forecasting.

Both management and coworkers are very nice, intelligent, helpful and hard working.

Nothing was hard about the job we were always busy with porjects.
Professional work place
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  New York StateDecember 9, 2016
Very business environment at that hospital learn how to use garbage compactor learn how to move in between floors and work around staff. Good benefits, Supervisor was hard on us but was very efficient
as being a leader.
Great organization, horrible culture
Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 18, 2016
This organization does great work. The providers are a tad bit spoiled and management can not place any standardization. This means hand holding and customization for every provider.
To many Chiefs, not enough Indians
Medical Secretary/Assistant Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2016
Work hard, stay away from miserable people, keep private.

Some departments are well off than others. Do your homework. Unfortunately it's who you know.

HSS could be a positive work environment. Patients do come first.
Pros
Higher paying
Cons
Upitty, nose high
Great Learning Experience
Radiologic Technologist Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2016
Staff were very pleasant and great teachers in X-ray. They took their time to teach and also made it clear that obtaining the best image with the greatest patient care was top priority.
I am... proud to work at HSS
Insurance & Real Estate Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2016
The first thing I've noticed working here is that there are quite a bit of people who have been with the company for a long time. I always wondered why that was. But now I see, it's simply a great / rewarding work environment to be in.
Senior Buyer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2017
Typical work day is extensive and very busy. Working for the O.R. making sure are orders are processed and shipped accordingly. My co-workers make it all worthwhile and we are very much a part of a TEAM.
Productive and supportive work place
CN-I Special Procedures- Holding, Intra-op & PACU (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2016
I love my department and have a great work life balance b/c of the dept I work in. Management was very supportive of me having one day off during the week to teach clinical.
Pros
great co-workers and supportive management
Cons
for a Magnet hospital nursing benefits should be better
Great Hospital
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2016
Great place to work for (non-profit)
Pros: lots of down time - for those that like
Nice colleague
Cons - for some, its not the best match, specially if you are not used to non-profit
Productive and Busy Workplace
Physician Referral Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2016
Very friendly staff, positive attitude, all around helpful to patients and staff when needed. Room for growth depending on what department your in. Cross-training is available or should be available in all departments. Great pay and benefits. Would recommend for anyone to work at this fine Not for Profit establishment.
Very little growth within
Patient Registrar (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2016
A great company, pays very well that's one of the reason why there is little growth because nobody wants to leave the position that they are in. I am proud to work here.
Fun place to work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2016
Great company to work for. There was always room for advancement. The company is very diversified. Management always trusted in me and my choices to complete daily tasks in a timely fashion.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
N/a
Grrreattt
Registrar (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2016
Great environment!
Glad to be a part of the staff.
Opportunities for advancement.
Clean and fun atmosphere.
Continuous learning and and values employees input.
Temp position
Temporary assignment, Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2016
This position was a temporary position. It was a learning experience in the orthopedics department. Many skills was taught. The staff was excellent.

A typical day at work was meeting and greeting patients. Answering the phone. Preparing exam rooms for patients exams. Taking patients vitals. Making cast, splints for patients. Assisting doctor with injections and removing of stitches and staples.

The hardest part was parting from the job being that it was a temporary position.

Loved my co-workers. They were very pleasant.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of the patients healing process.

I would love to work there again permantely as a Phlebotomist or Nurse Tech.
Pros
There was always something new to learn
Cons
temp position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospital for Special Surgery. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3