Hospital for Special Surgery

Hospital for Special Surgery Employer Reviews

Close knit office that brings out the fun in a tough job
Billing Clerk/Staff Secretary (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 21, 2014
Pros: close knit office
Cons: angry phone calls
Every employee has had a different experience working for HSS. The bulk of my time under their employment was spent working in the Rhuematology Billing dept. The office was rather small for a billing office where 1 employee at times will deal with 5 different doctors. Because of the small number of employees, we all grew to become close with each other – more... despite constant verbal abuse from patients over the phone. Needless to say, it was a job I wish I could do again. – less
Loved working here
Office Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 1, 2014
Pros: great company
Management takes care of you. The work that the physicians do here is out of this world and I enjoyed being part of that
great workplace
Per Diem Pulmonary Function Technologist (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 24, 2014
very welcoming and efficient with great benefits. ranked number 1 in orthopedic surgery and rightfully so.
Hospital known for the Highest Quality of Orthopedic surgeries
Private Duty Orthopedic RN (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 13, 2014
It was an honor to be able to work at this hospital, where staffing was carefully selected for this environment. Here we had elected surgeries of everything of Orthopedic origin, many of which were cash paying clients who therefore expected the best care to be delivered. We were afforded the necessary tools in this environment to do this, working post-op – more... to help patients in managing their pain, challenging their disabilities and giving them the proper encouragement and guidance to help in recovery, worked with the therapists ongoing to make this happen , much medication administration and patient teaching involved. Very fulfilling job, as we worked with patients to recover and be back to their usual level of function. – less
A busy Manhattan sub-jobber.
Volunteer Medical Interpreter (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 6, 2014
I worked 10 hours a day or more both in the office and on the road cultivating new customers and formulating strategies to keep them happy. I learned a lot and it was a good experience. The company was bought out by a large wholesaler some years ago.
Excellent Culture
Senior Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 25, 2014
Amazing Place to work, excellent culture, great patient care.
Intellectually stimulating vs. Pay
Research Engineer (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 16, 2014
Pros: great colleagues, intellectually stimulating, opportunities to present at conferences
Cons: long hours, terrible pay, annoying commute
This position tends to have a lot of turn over and as an employee you are expected to work upwards of 70 hours for not great compensation. As a research engineer, there is no posibility of advancing within the company, but merely a stepping stone to the next place in your career.
Excellent Company
Receptionist (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 7, 2014
Pros: phenomenal networking
Cons: company went out of business!
Aside from the average pay rate, this was an absolutely pleasant environment to work in, and the opportunities for advancement were at your fingertips. Unfortunately, with the poor economy, this company announced closing after one short year.
Productive and fun
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 1, 2014
Love working at HSS. Excellent physicians and staff. Salaries are competitive.
Hostile work environment
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 16, 2014
Pros: nice neighborhood.
Cons: vindictive and incompetent management.
I want to say something nice about HSS, but I am at a loss for words.
While the hospital has a pleasant odor, scratch the surface and there is a horrible stench.
My department was very unpleasant to work in. It was poorly managed and coworkers reacted in an unprofessional and highly offensive manner.
I wish the pay wasn't good. It kept me working there – more... way to long.
Even with the good benefits and pay, good people came and left for other (better) opportunities, leaving new grads,lazy and incompetents and those waiting for retirement.
I think administration needs to change up the department heads for things to improve. – less
Total lack of advancement
CASH CONTROL REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 3, 2014
Cons: lack of advancement
While this employer does offer tuition reimbursement, once you've obtained your degree, there is little help at furthering your career. I was encouraged to take office assistant positions instead of analytical ones, even though I'd completed my MBA. The HR department leaves a lot to be desired!
Great Benefits
Pediatric Program Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 10, 2014
Hospital for Special Surgery offers great benefits and they appreciate their staff.
Good place to work; met interesting support staff and management
Assistant Director, Safety Department (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 4, 2014
Strong leadership at the very top demanded excellence throughout the ranks. Those that failed to deliver did not last.

I worked well with the management from Engineering, Environmental Services and BioMedical Engineering to address emergencies and incidents.

I was proud to work closely with laboratory staff and the Radiation Safety Officer.

The hardest – more... part of the job was dealing with management that have personal vendettas. I enjoyed working with front-line staff and senoir management. – less
The job was okay
Managed Care Liaison (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 4, 2014
Pros: easy commute
Cons: stuffy environment
Repetitious however is was a good job, I was only there for 3 months as a temp.
Always room for growth
Medical Secretary/Orthopedics (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 5, 2014
A typical day I follow the flow of the office, check out patients, and check authorization status for patients to get MRI's.
Medical Office Secretary (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 27, 2014
It's a great hospital to work in, I learned a lot about health care, specially orthopedic and patient care.
Great place to be!
Registered Nurse, PACU (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 23, 2014
The staff is amazing. This place is like a well oiled machine and the level of care and expectation is outstanding. You will learn a lot and be taught a lot.
Great place to work with freindly and helpful staff.
Clinical Informaticist (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 28, 2013
Great place to work with freindly and helpful staff. World leader in Orthopedic care
Great Hospital
OR Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee), NYC, NYDecember 26, 2013
Wonderful hospital to work in. Always busy for a specialized Orthopedic Hospital. The Scheduling office is never dull with lots of cases to be booked. Very stimulating to work in this environment.
Great institution
Assistant Director, Epidemiologist (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 31, 2013
People love working here and that passion shows. Collaborative work environment and a real sense of family.

1 2 3 4