Hospital for Special Surgery

Hospital for Special Surgery United States Employee Reviews

its okay
Dietary Assistant, Food and Nutrition Services (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 16, 2015
its a good company and working here is very productive. I enjoy working here because I enjoy work and there is always something to do
Harsh environment for RN
Clinical Nurse I (Former Employee), New York New YorkApril 10, 2015
Pros: Aesthetic of the building design
Cons: Lacks support for RN
There's a subculture that exist for the sole purpose of creating a stressful, demeaning environment for RN, Especially if your non white. Everything that you've ever read in Nursing journal's on the oppressive dynamics in Nursing and how Nursing eats their young is played out everyday on the unit's floor. Nursing leaders/administration are the main culprits. The only way to survive is to have an advanced degree, to avoid the units or join in.Then there's another level to the hospital culture. It's a PA ran hospital so most of your Nursing skills and abilities are limited by the surgeons only allowing PA to do what most would consider standard nursing practices. So your reduced to a task oriented mundane level of operating under the PA who can as well add to the demeaning of RN. And the issue of different treatment for non whites is really sad and has been documented.
I highly recommend working at this place
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 10, 2015
I loved working at this place and would hopefully come back to work there as an RN. I really appreciate the workplace and the staff has this sense of being a family.
great work
Summer Internship at Hospital for special Surgery (Former Employee), new yok, nyApril 9, 2015
Pros: communcation
Cons: seasonal
great work place and excellent skills learned there great communcationg skills and wonderful people, good pay and a nice boss.
Registrar (Current Employee), new yorkApril 2, 2015
Enjoyable place just need a full time position! Nice people overall a place to grow with if you'd like, there are people that have been around for 20-40 years and still love being with the establishment.
Learning experience
Sports Marketing Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 1, 2015
I never knew how much sponsorship and marketing opportunities there were for health care in the sports industry. HSS has started a new trend and have many followers. It was interesting to be a part of something new and be able to learn along the way.
LOVE IT BUT HAVE TO RELOCATE
Medical Secretary (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Great teamwork, competitive pay, overall great work environment
Cons: none to review at this time
Love my job. My location was offsite and very cozy. Familiar environment that was supportive, we have great teamwork here.
Good work experience
Medical Coder (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Nice fellow coders, hospital is GREAT for surgeries!, Hospital treats patients with respect and courtesy, Hospital has a lot of free give aways for their employees, The HR department is pretty quick on hiring
Cons: Far away from train station, takes me too long to get to work, Management will deduct pay from you if you punch in one minute late, You have to take your own sick time for maternity leave if you want to get paid for it
A typical day for me is to just grab my charts and code as many as I can in one day. They do have a productivity standard of 50 charts per day as an outpatient coder and 20 charts per day as an inpatient coder. However, since ICD 10 is being coded as well, our productivity has slowed down.
I learned a lot about being a coder, however, working for a specialty hospital can be crippling to you as a coder because you are basically only coding the same diagnosis all day long, so you do not see the other side of coding. I would only do this job again if I was already a coder at a general hospital already and had gotten out into the world of coding more.
My co-coders are good people to work with, they are always willing to help you if you have a question about something. The rest of the people in the department are ok, but they have their little drama going on sometimes amongst them but everyone does get along pretty well in spite of their differences and the work gets done at the end of the day.
The hardest part to my job is getting to work. I have a VERY long commute and this is the reason why I gave work/life balance only two stars. They do give you a generous amount of vacation time though.
Productive place to work in
Research Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 27, 2015
I would recommend this place to anyone who is interested at working for Hospital for Special Surgery. I love the environment and the people that I worked with. They were extremely helpful and considerate.
great place
Practice Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 24, 2015
I have worked here since my freshman year in high school it has been a great place to work from day one. I have no moved and the commute is just getting to me. Wish they would open a faclity up by me and I will be there. LOVE THIS PLACE, GREAT HOSPITAL WITH GREAT STAFF.
A great place to work.
Senior Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 15, 2015
Pros: 1 hour lunch
Fellow employees and managers the best. Benefits excellent. Good vacation package. Ample sick days per year that accrue if unused.
Exciting, collaborative, innovative and employee-friendly employer.
Senior Director Employment/Performance Management (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 7, 2015
HSS is an amazing organization. If you enjoy a forward thinking, fast pace where you are surrounded by top talent across the spectrum - and are willing to work at 100% evryday - you will love HSS. It is demanding of excellence and of professional commitment.The expectation of both customers and colleagues require that everyone be at the top of their game. Overall, the most gratifying work experience ever!
Hospital for Special Surgery provides great one of a kind service.
Coordinator - Physician Practice Management (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 4, 2015
Hospital for Special Surgery provides great one of a kind service. There is no other place like it! They offer great benefits.
Diversity
INTERNATIONAL PATIENT RELATIONSHIP MANAGER (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 2, 2015
The most interesting thing at HSS is diversity and there is no dull moment.
I coordinate patient care
I consider myself the main reason patients come and stay with HSS
The number of Arabic speaking patients tripled or quadrupled since I started at the International center
Productive and busy environment
Executive Secretary to VP & CIO (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: 7 hour work day. am shift
Cons: work in a sub division off/site location from hospital
A typical day is spending my morning on timekeeping for 170 employees, and scheduling daily appointments along with meeting room set ups. Lunch has slowly approached and then on to the next task. The hardest part of my job is closing things out by 3:30pm so I can leave the office at 4:00pm. I have learned patience and prioritizing. The most enjoyable part of the job is payday.
Very busy workplace
Central Sterile Technician (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: compensation
Cons: transportation
Busy work place. Great opportunity. They take care of their hard working employees. There is room for growth. Not an easy place to travel too unless you live near by.
Review
Registrar (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYFebruary 14, 2015
Very nice environment to work in. I learned how to organize staff in order to meet the needs of the patients. I also learned how to work as a team.
Family Like Atmosphere. Top Rated Physicians and Surgeons. Great place for a career in healthcare
Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: tuition reimbursement, benefits package, internal promotions
Cons: employees are protected more than management. no union
Great starter company for anyone interested in a long term career in healthcare or healthcare business operations. Dedicated workforce and vast resources for promotional opportunities and career development. Median salary and benefits package are above industry averages. Gained solid operational management and people management experience. A fast paced high profile environment where customer service is the blood line of the success of this institution. New leadership has come into management positions and they do not have a pulse on the culture and people who have been working there 10 or more years. The older leadership is very keen to the culture and supportive of their staff and community. I enjoyed the networking and knowledge I received to become a better manager. Most of all I enjoyed the patients who always acknowledged our efforts to provide service excellence.
Excellent place to work
Registered Professional Nurse (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: competetive pay.
Cons: vrey limited opprtunities for professional growth.
Fast paced, busy, high acuity and high volume daily. Requires high nursing skills and excellent communication skills with prescribers and family members. Magnet facility: strong and supportive management. Outstanding co-workers: team work only.
Self-satisfaction of well-done job.
No work/life balance and poor management
Senior Coordinator, ILTC (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: hr department is helpful; benefits are fair
Cons: terrible work/life balance; snobby, rude and ancient management and management techniques; overall competitive, unwelcoming and unsupportive environment
Having worked for the Education division, I must say, that, of the three years that I was in the workforce, this was the worst position I had held, and the worst workplace in which I had the displeasure of being employed with. Work/life balance is non-existent, if you hold an exempt position. Work hours, despite being an administrative division that employs those with backgrounds in the social sciences and administrative management, are painful. I was not told until my second day at work - not during the interview process, which would have been the appropriate place to disclose this - that my hours would begin between 7 am and 8 am and I would not leave the office until after 6 pm.

The turnover of my particular position was deplorable - also a fact that should have been disclosed during my interview, when I asked why the previous employees had left the position. If you have a different coordinator each year, it is only necessary to question your management skills.

Favoritism runs abound and lower level employees are expected to cater to and kiss up to physicians and senior management, to the point of questionable ethics. The "culture" at the hospital is deplorable - individualism is largely discouraged and suppressed, and while a "diverse" staff is boasted, the diversity is purely ethnic and is only encouraged as long as your personality and approach is entirely in line with what senior management expects of it. Arrogance is everywhere, among employees, staff and doctors - apparently due to the name and reputation of the hospital. Overall, the working conditions for those – more... who aren't considered golden becomes insufferable to the point where certain positions see extremely high turnover due to overwork and the inability to take advantage of generous PTO (which is awarded in vain). There are very few young employees outside of secretarial and administrative assistant positions, which is essentially due to the inability of senior management to catch up to current technological and cultural practices in the workplace.

People keep discussing how great the benefits are ... maybe compared to other for-profit industries and companies, but compared to other non-profit organizations, they're not competitive. The Education and Development divisions, at least, operate as 501c3 divisions, and the fact that employees have to wait 2-3 months for health insurance at a hospital, and the cheapest plan option is $50 per pay period, per employee, is actually only a mediocre health plan. – less

1 2 3 4 5