Hoss's Steak and Sea House Employee Reviews

Trust me.... Not the managers you want to be around
Server (Former Employee) –  Saint Marys, PASeptember 23, 2017
Very poor management, can't seem to get anyone through the door let alone keep them, especially their managers. More worried about their so called "reputation" then their people that they hire. Care more about gossip and not the actual facts. Would never recommened anyone working there let alone eating there and giving their business any money. Only good thing I can say is the short period of time I was there that they had good servers. Other then that its cut-throat and poorly ran.
I enjoyed the responsibility of being the food prep manager
Prep Manager (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAAugust 7, 2017
We started our workday early preparing the daily soup and salad bar vegetables, salads, soups of the day. The hardest part of this job was standing in one place as you prepared the food. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction and compliments of preparing delicious food.
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
standing in one place to long as the food was prepared
Not a bad place to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 28, 2017
Pay isn't where it should be and bonuses aren't competitive for the industry. Staff and co-managers are great to work with and the over all atmosphere is nice. Day to day operations are straight forward and you are trained in every area of the restaurant so that you know what you are doing.
Pros
free lunch, inviting staff
Cons
healthcare, bonuses, pay
Family atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, PAJuly 27, 2017
Everyone got along well even when it got busy. We worked as a team. We had alot of regular customers that treated us like family . Our responsibilities were: helping to seat guest when hostesses got busy, taking orders and cashing out at table, putting orders into computer, delivering meals, making sure guests were happy by checking on them frequently, helping with dishes when needed.
Pros
Made sure every guest was happy even if they weren't satisfied with anything by picking up the check
Cons
Wasn't really any breaks
N/a
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Marys, PAJuly 11, 2017
Good place to work with decent benefits. Average pay and hours. Get out of it what you put in. Slight room for advancement. Good stepping stone for better career.
Fun environment for young workers
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PAJune 25, 2017
I worked at Hoss's in high school and I enjoyed my time there. The host shifts were short and the pay was low, but it's a great starter job because of that. As a waiter I made tons of money, it was crazy. It became too much for me eventually and I quit, but I learned so much from it.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Stressful work
Decent place to work for young people
Salad Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 24, 2017
This place is a good place for 16-24 yr olds to work at. It teaches customer skills and gets people ready for the real world. However after a while you wont move up the latter anymore unless you move towards management.
Hoss's Steak and Sea House
Host, Busser, Salad Bar Attendant, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PA 17013June 5, 2017
I usually work as a Salad Bar attendant and a Host at Hoss's. I am overworked and underpaid. I have been working over-time and yet they consider me a part-time associate; I do not get the compensation that full-time associates are due, such as: benefits, paid time off, health insurance, and more.
Pros
hours
Cons
over worked
Good starting point for anyone wanting to be in the serving inustry
Server (Former Employee) –  Lititz, PAJune 5, 2017
This place served as a good stepping stone to gain experience in the serving world. Out of all the serving jobs I have had, this one demanded the most work. I think this is good, because it promotes hard work and prepares you well. Most of the employees here are high school kids, so the standard is not the highest.
Pros
Great stepping stone for people new to serving
Cons
Environment is not the greatest, some managers are pretty lazy, lots of young kids so there is some drama
Good Experience
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ebensburg, PAJune 1, 2017
worked here and really enjoyed the coworkers and atmosphere! good hours and deals on meals, management was good and was pretty laid back most of the time
Fast-paced environment, not a lot of recognition
Cook (Current Employee) –  DuBois, PAMay 24, 2017
The day is typical for that of a restaurant. Prepare for business, get busy, and then clean up. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing overly difficult either.
Productive atmosphere, great for teens
Server, Host (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PAMay 4, 2017
I worked this job in high school and the management was fantastic with balancing my busy school schedule with my work schedule. Fun atmosphere, great management.
Job that is fun and keeps you moving
Cook (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon, PAApril 26, 2017
There is always something to do everyday at Hoss's. I learned how to present meals in a way that would be pleasing to the customer. Also, it taught me a lot about how to handle customer satisfaction. The management is super friendly and does their best to make sure that every employee feels included. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great people and being able to interact with customers. The most difficult part of the job is keeping up with the fast-paced environment and trying to present meals correctly at the same time.
Pros
Great work environment, work always keeps you on your toes, interacting with many different customers.
Cons
Breaks aren't scheduled on a daily basis, lack of help from employees.
Average kitchen job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Belle Vernon, PAApril 3, 2017
I have nothing bad to say about working here. My coworkers were nice and so was the management. I gained a lot of knowledge working here. It is not the worst place to work but there is definitely better out there. I would recommend this job to friends and family
Pros
Discounted food, nice management and coworkers
Cons
High stress environment
Good place to work.
Server (Former Employee) –  Lititz, PAMarch 23, 2017
Hoss's is a great place to work. I worked there for 12 plus years. Most employees have been there for years. It's fun, the money is decent and a they have a lot of customers that come in at least once a week.
Pros
Food is great
Cons
Health care
I enjoy working at hoss's and being a waitress
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PAMarch 7, 2017
For me I like waitressing the only down fall is that you can never know what your going to make since it's based off of tips. But there is also other jobs like in the kitchen, salad bar, and hosting.
Reputable company, adequate work environment
Food Service - Waitress (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PAMarch 1, 2017
Adequate work environment, adequate training, management is helpful and approachable, I enjoy utilizing my customer relations skills, staff works as a team, ongoing training provided
my favorite job
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Richland, PAJanuary 9, 2017
i've met the best people through working at hoss's. I've meet lifetime friends from working at this company. its stressful at time, but what job isnt? you also make a decent about of money as a server!
well i did a lot of cleaning in the pass andbwas very good at it and loved it as well
dish washer (Former Employee) –  any oneDecember 17, 2016
Well it seem to be very good and I would love to work for you I would be honored to work there for you to get some experience on hand and do my very best for the company I'll be at work on time
Pros
i did not understand
Cons
its okay with me any thing will help
great company
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PANovember 8, 2016
It's a good company to work for just don't give you the job security you would need if you family.Have with company 2 years now
Pros
good managers
Cons
better pay