Hoss's Steak and Sea House Employee Reviews

A Bad Place for Long Term Work
Dishwasher/Prep (Former Employee) –  Selinsgrove, PAFebruary 1, 2016
Marzonies is hosses new line round these parts, issue is, the selinsgrove restaurant is not good. After working there for four months, (prep\dish) the biggest issue is they get almost no business. On weekdays you can expect to have 40 mins of actaul work, then you have nothing to do because there aren't any customers.
Management has changed three times in four months, (they found better jobs) which its plain to see, this resturaunt is in its last legs...
If you need a job badly, go for it, money is money. But if you have goals and time to look for a real job, go do that, your employment here isn't garenteed at all.
Pros
little to no actaul work, 50% off all food you order on your shift
Cons
poor/inexperienced management, no business(so that means don't expect a real raise)
Marzoni's worst employment ever!!!!
Server (Former Employee) –  Selinsgrove, PAFebruary 4, 2016
This has been BY FAR the worst restaurant that I have EVER worked in, the management is lax in areas that need to be focused on, and micromanage everything that doesn't need to be focused on. One PURELY VINDICTIVE manager was promoted and somehow pushed all of the other management out, and is even redecorating the corporate restaurant to look like her house. I was told lies about other employees and there were countless times that information about other employees - private information - had been divulged to everyone in the restaurant. CAUTION: DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN HONEST PLACE TO WORK!!! THE MONEY WASN'T EVEN WORTH THE DRAMA OR IMMATURITY.
Pros
Shifts to pick up.
Cons
Shotty scheduling, Favoritism, Compensation, vindictive management.
fun and hardworing employees with a great family atmosphere
Waitress/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon, PAMarch 7, 2016
Working at Hoss's is amazing. I love the flexibility the store has with my Current College schedule. When there are issues I feel it is easy to talk to the managers and discuss those issues with them. My coworkers are amazing people and work hard as a team to satisfy each and every customer that walks through our door.
Pros
Employee Discount on food
Cons
Dont always clock out when your scheduled too(it a resturant people come in right before closing, comes with the job)
Great First Job but,....
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Hummelstown, PAFebruary 29, 2016
Hoss's steak and sea house was a great first job but the management was very inconsistent. Each manager gave no regard to what the other ones do, unless they were working the same day as the general manager or district manger. If a problem were to arise, the conflict would not be dealt with the way that it should be. Many conflicts ended with one or more associates leaving.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible hours, friendly staff
Cons
Inconsistent management, conflict resolution
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  DuBois, PAAugust 26, 2016
I loved my managers at Hoss's! And many of my coworkers were wonderful. I started as a hostess and was able to advance to server. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult/ annoying people that come in, but as a server my pay was decent and I overall enjoyed what I did.
Pros
Free food, good co workers/ management
Cons
Sometimes not many hours, difficult customers
fast moving workplace with a family environment
Dining Room Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PANovember 12, 2015
very slow work place during the day and evenings during the week. During the weekend, the pace moves very quickly, keeping you moving. The people there are warm and welcoming. The immediate management is enjoyable for the most part, but corporate management do not offer much support of their staff or seem to care for their employees and store. The job is very simple so it is easy to do well and make friends with the guest. It is important to pay attention and find something to keep you occupied when not busy. Typical restaurant environment.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no full time positions available, horrible benefit packages
fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 11, 2016
fun place but you have to get along with management and not have any suggestions. Watch your co-workers because some of them are horrid and will try to get you in trouble.
Pros
Loved the customers
Cons
management
Productive and fun with plenty of personal advancement opportunities
Server/Host (Current Employee) –  State College, PAApril 11, 2016
Great place to work, part or full time. Fun and a good learning experience. The atmosphere and job itself are exactly what you make it out to be, the more you put into the job the more you'll get out of it.
Mediocre management,terrible pay/hours
Prep cook/Salad bar/Grill cook (Current Employee) –  Murrysville, PAOctober 26, 2015
The corporate managers of Hoss's will not give anyone,except supervisors and management full time, no matter how hard you work. The general management of the store is the worst thing about it. She will single out people, lie to make you seem like a bad employee/bad person, cut your hours, take away full time (even if you were apart of the company for 20+ years), and not order enough product for the restaurant. She takes nothing you have to say into consideration. The other managers and supervisors, although, are fair hardworking people. However, they can only help you out, as far as pay/hours, as much as the GM will let them.
The food is also way over priced for what you are getting. I'm not saying the food is disgusting or that the people there spit on it but, it is not good enough quality for the price you need to pay as a customer. Alot of the salad bar/ kitchen food is prebreaded or out of a box. The only things that are fresh are the soups, feature salads, broccoli salad, coleslaw, individual desserts, broccoli, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, cooks peppers, cooks onions, tomatoes, beets, chopped eggs, rolls, rice pilaf, and, burger sauces. Compared to how much is on the salad bar and menu, that is not a lot made in house.
Other than that, most of the employees are very nice and usually willing to help.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Everything else
great work place
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PaSeptember 30, 2015
Very upbeat work environment focusing on multitasking. Learning to do multiple jobs at once while being productive. Working in a kitchen teaches you how to work in a team to get things done.
Pros
fast pace, great management
Cons
not always busy
okay place to work
Salad Bar Attendant/prep cook (Current Employee) –  Saint Marys, PAMarch 20, 2015
I like working here..but I had knee surgery and cannot work the long hours I have to during the day...there's really no advancement for me here...although I know most of the areas of work and have different experience in several areas, it doesn't matter if you do your job and work hard..it's all in who you know
It's going downhill
Host, Busser, and Server (Former Employee) –  Hummelstown, PAAugust 15, 2015
The company decided to make a switch to full service. Hoss's used to have you order up front for a fast table rotation and fast food delivery. Tips were okay when we did this. Now, they switched to full service where the server takes the order at the table, tips stayed the same and you are doing more work. On top of that they doubled the servers so in 4 hours you only get 3-4 tables. Each table tips maybe 10% and you walk away with $15.00, but then you have to tip out the expo and busser a minimum of $4.00 each and now you have $9.00. its a great job if you want to work your butt off for nothing.
fun work place
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PASeptember 26, 2015
My work place has very supportive people. Everyone is always willing to help you. You get to met and bond with new guests and get to know some of them cause they enjoy coming to Hoss's and come very often. I definitely always try to find away to keep myself busy.
Some times things can get real busy and fast pace but for the most part its pretty relaxing and I enjoy seating people.
Pros
Meeting New People
Work to hard and not enough hours or pay.
prep salad bar (Former Employee) –  belle Vernon paMay 13, 2015
Poor management. Hardly any hours. Worked in prep and couldn't leave until finished. Insulting pay rate. Minimum wage for making homemade soups and salads no breaks.
Pros
Some employees were nice others to bossy.
Cons
Terrible pay and not enough hours.
N/a
Hostess and Buffet Maintenance Personnel (Former Employee) –  York, PaJanuary 22, 2015
Awful management.
No room for advancement.
Sexism in the work place.
It's a great work environment, everyone is like a big family.
Salad Bar and Hostess (Current Employee) –  Annville, PAJune 5, 2012
I help fill the salad bar and keep it clean. I also prepare the food including cooking it. I've learn organization and promptness while working here. The management is very friendly and easily approachable if needed. My co-workers are hard working and diligent. The hardest part of my job is working solo and making sure everything is done in a timely and correct manner. The most enjoyable part of working here is definitely the friendly staff and good customers, not to mention the family friendly environment.
Pros
enjoyable and fun work environment.
Cons
slow business means less hours available to work.
Hoss's Steak and Sea House
Line cook/Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Enola, PAApril 3, 2015
Nice, family oriented restaurant. Big Holidays off. Great team functioning. Long hours on Mother's Day, and similar holidays. Considerate of part time employees with (other) full time employment.
First Job
Utility Employee (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, PAFebruary 6, 2015
Allowed me to work through school to attain a degree.Worled around my class schedule very well. Now looking to move into an actual career path.
okay part time job
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAApril 14, 2014
not a lot of hours available
employees are nice
management needs more structure
hardest part of the job was all the little odd jobs they game me to do
easiest was being with my coworkers, they were all very nice
Pros
free food
Cons
bad hours
productive work place
Dishwasher, Busser and Cook (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJune 7, 2014
typical day: restaurant work
learned: people skills
management: helpful
co-workers: hard working

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hoss's Steak and Sea House. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4