Hostelling International Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and adventurous work culture
Café Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 27, 2015
Provides an opportunity to learn about other countries and cultures, network with people from all over the world, and the company culture was exciting and new on a daily basis.
Pros
Free stays at any HI hostel in the US
Cons
A workplace where multitasking and versatility was of primary importance
Night auditor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2015
to start with the work on the shift was to be organized - there were guaranteed reservations to arrive, and as they arrived they were greeted and checked in, informed about the hostel; there were phone calls and walk ins, and there were reservations to enter into the system; several rounds (walking through the building) were done at different points; the audit (day's closing) was completed; cleaning of the area and breakfast preparation, as well as laundry and function rooms set up followed, eventually the new day was prepared, check out were done - cabs called as needed.
I learned much about how a hostel works in its aspects, by first hand experience.
Our management watched over a complex operation and followed through on updates.
There was a very cooperating way among all coworkers, working together supportively.
There were discomforting elements of people in the night misbehaving, s discrepancies nned to be resolved.
The positive feed back from guests was always of a very supporting effect.
Pros
There were opportunities to do different aspects of work in the functioning of the hostel.
Cons
The discomforting element of misbehaving people was part of the place.
Independent work with a great opportunity to do something great
Community Engagement Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 25, 2015
Hostelling International was based on the sole idea that I could create an event that would give back to the University of Washington community.
Great environment and talented staff
Community Engagements Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2014
I really enjoyed my time with Hostelling International-NY. This was an unpaid internship position where I worked in the community engagements department. On a daily basis I would gather information and create events to share with the guests. I also worked with local businesses to introduce hostelling into the community. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking the guests on tours of New York and providing them the best time while staying at a HI accommodation.
Pros
meeting people from all around the world
Cons
unpaid
Nice place close to the Santa Monica pier
Marketing and Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 23, 2014
This was quite unique experience to me. I was lucky to learn different area in this industry, and having myself in the different type of organization. There is still a lot room for me to get improved, like official oral conversation or official written e-mails. I cannot say I was well done with all the tasks I had back in that time, but I truly did my best to learn more and experience more. Till now, I still miss those co-workers and my manager. Thank them, I had a great opportunity to work with them, and learn from them.
Pros
nice peer and manager
Cons
long drive
Productive and fun place to work with pool table
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2014
My most enjoyable part of the job is to help the customers at Hostelling International
Pros
pleasent staff
relaxed management, good benefits, not many opportunities for upward mobility
Front Desk agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisDecember 3, 2013
Great employer that has helped me strengthen my customer service skills through daily interaction with international travelers and assisting managers on large projects/events in this 500+ bed hostel. The only reason I am looking to leave the organization is the lack of opportunities for upward mobility.
Typical Nonprofit Work
General Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2013
This job is basically the GM position at a 50 room hotel. There are many challenges on a daily basis, including physical plant improvements, customer service, and dealing with the rather large transient population in Downtown San Diego.
Pros
flexible, but demanding, schedule. great coworkers. a sense of fulfillment in the work i do.
Cons
long hours, low pay, no room to advance, lack of budget funds to make necessary improvements.
Fun place to work.
Lead Audit/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle WashingtonDecember 6, 2012
High turnover so advancement is quite easy. Management allows you the freedom and discretion to operate effectively. The work place taught me a lot, especially as far as my work ethic is considered. I always prided myself on how hard I worked, and this place taught me the more I put in, the more I could get out (of life in general).
Pros
pretty much everything.
Cons
n/a
There are no words for the way they run things in there.
Hospitality/ Front Desk Security (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2012
They have no judgement when it comes to thinking about others. Its either there way or the highway.
Pros
you meet people from all over the world.
Cons
too many to name.