Hostgator.com Employee Reviews in United States

Worst job ever
Jr. Admin (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 12, 2016
I've worked a lot of crummy jobs over the years, and this was by far the worst I've ever had. Just to pout this in perspective, I've also worked at a lawn care company and a bill collection company.

You are pretty much ensured a break, but instead of having a scheduled break time, you have to enter a que, and people are sent on breaks, one after another. It can literally take hours to get to your break time and if you don't signup in time, you may not even get one. It seems like a great idea when you first hear about it, until you find out that some people are sent on breaks out of order based on how tight they are with their supervisor.

I've worked at other hosting companies before. Generally there is a limit to the amount of abuse that you are expected to put up with. It is largely assumed that people calling into tech support lines will have tempers running high and will get short with you, but at most companies, you are generally allowed to inform an abusive, insulting caller that they will be cut off if they do not adopt a more professional tone. Not so at HostGator where the customer comes first, or at least the ability to bill the customer comes first. You have to suck it up to keep the suckers on the hook for as long as possible.

You are supposed to be able to handle, at minimum, 5 chats and a call at once, during bust times however, you may have to handle as many as seven or eight chats at a time, which is pretty ridiculous when you are expected to give top notch customer support when you have to many people to focus on at any given point in time.
  more...
Drug culture and the IT industry seem to go hand in hand, at least at a lot of companies I've worked at in the past, but HostGator takes it to ridiculous extremes. First off there's Wine Wednesdays and Free Beer Fridays. Basically, if you call in for support, two days out of the week, you're all but certain to be talking to someone who is drunk. Yeah, they say they don't want people to drink to much, but they don't put much effort into making sure people aren't getting stoned on their breaks either. Considering that management does zero to prevent customer abuse of employees, getting high while at work seems to make sense here.

One of the illusionary perks of the job is that they provide free food. In truth, the free food is pretty much what you expect free to be. Barely edible garbage that homeless people would turn their nose up at. Most nights I ended up bringing my own food or going out to eat anyway. It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the fact that the cost of the free food was added to your W2 as compensation that you were taxed on.

Terrible, terrible company to work for.
Pros
Non to speak of
Cons
Overly managed break times, abusive customers, apathetic management
Union electrical work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 16, 2015
Worked with McDonald Electric through the IBEW doing typical construction/repair/remodel electrical work for a couple buildings out at Johnson Space Center. Best thing I took from it was the ability to say I worked at NASA.
A place i loved to work.
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2015
I would go in to work do my job and go home never really had any problems, i would help with questions other agents had about a problem they ran in to or could not fix. I would mentor and help improve my fellow agents skills and work abilities. As well as review call and chats for proper customer service and troubleshooting steps.
Pros
free lunch, abilty to wear what i want.
Cons
health care and managment, as well as no backing of emploies when a problem comes up.
Flexible Environment
Junior Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2015
A typical day starts with finding a desk to sit at if your normal place is taken. Then on to the calls or chats which can be overly technical for what you have learned in training!

Co-workers are great everyone helps each other.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that a customers account is going to be down for a few days and there is nothing you can do about it.

The most Enjoyable part about this Job is the customers reactions to fixing a their site that has been down for a few days in only a few minutes. And easily the Co-worker interactions.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Poor Advancement Opportunities
You're always going to learn something in the tech industry at Hostgator.com
Fraud Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2015
While working for Hostgator can be intense and extremely busy, they offered plenty of options to decompress. Everything from billiards and ping pong to arcade games and sony playstation. Free lunch was provided throughout each shift as well as random snacks that came sporadically throughout the month. It helps to deal with the intensity of working in a technical call center environment.
Pros
Free Lunch, lively break room with a miniature convenience store
Cons
Busy work environment, cronyism is at an all time high, we had a lot of broken tools needed to get the job done
Great work environment.
Contract Consultant Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 1, 2015
My daily work changed from beginning to the end of my days working there. I was hired to prepare and move the accounting department from one building to another. Once the move was completed, I worked with the controller to set up the filing system, storage and offices for maximum efficiency. Once set up was completed, I was retained to assist with daily accounting needs like accounts payables and account receivables. I assisted with year-end tax form research as well as accounting audits.

The hardest part of the job was learning the expectations of the controller that was not regularly available and not being able to assist others in the customer service department.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, the extra benefits offered, organizing and assisting in the streamlining of the accounting department.
Pros
Free Lunches, Chair Massages, co-workers
Cons
Short term and traffic
Used to be great, till it went to heck
Windows Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2015
Long story short HostGator was a great place to work for a long time. It certainly wasn't perfect but it was a great place to start a career and if you worked hard and excelled you would be advanced. However since EIG has taken over it gradually has had all that spark beaten out of it and now is exactly the nightmare corporate cash we all feared it would become.
High stress environment
JR. Admin (Former Employee) –  Houston, TxJune 7, 2015
Hostgator was a great place to work and bond with co workers but the job requires an intense quota expectation and a wide variety of customer tech support. We provided support of everything from Wordpress, mysql support, to resetting passwords.
Pros
provide technical support
Cons
High stress work environment
Great company just advancement issues
L2 Jr. Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2015
I did chats/tickets, however after being promoted twice it was clear there was a bottle neck that would delay any further advancement.
Constantly changing work environment with opportunity for growth
Tech Support and Fraud Prevention (Current Employee) –  HoustonMay 5, 2015
Review pending new accounts and identify any signs of fraudulent activity. Set the pending accounts according to the degree of fraudulent activity found. Call the client to verify any accounts that appear to be signed up for by using random contact information. Answer any questions concerning new accounts and support floor staff during multi-complex calls. Read and respond to the ticket queue. Review documents sent in including government issued photo IDs and credit card images.
Pros
Free lunches and game room
Cons
High turnover
It's what you make of it.
Sr. Web Coach/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 25, 2015
I was in Sales and loved it. I made great money and the people were great to work with. The environment is fun and laid back.
Pros
Free Lunches, Monthly Outings, Casual Dress, Beer Fridays
Cons
Management is a little off
Decent place to work until the downsizing started.
Fraud Prevention Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2014
Sometimes stressful, sometimes fun work environment.
Great coworkers.
From Best to Worst
Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 2, 2014
The company used to have an awesome culture with an emphasis on work/life balance. After the company was bought out, the new owners put very rigid attendance and scheduling policies in place which made it impossible to have any sort of life outside of work. Students were forced to choose between work and school.

Many of the best employees either left on their own or were forced out due to attendance policies. Most decided to leave because they were denied pay increases on their 2 and 3 year anniversaries because they already made too much money.

Currently, the company is not able to hire enough employees to replace those who are leaving or have been let go. They have had to bring in temporary workers to fill the gap.
Pros
free lunches, massages, beer.
Cons
low pay, no work-life balance.
Fun but poor bennifits
Level 2 Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 7, 2014
Working with co-workers is fun, but dealing with unhappy customers on a daily basis who are unhappy takes it's toll. Since the company was sold to EIG things have gone downhill, so you get yelled at by customers daily.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
spotty customer service, lack of ambition in most agents, little room for promotion
Good job for high school kids
Jr. Admin (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 1, 2014
The Company is limited in advancement opportunities. Tech support and server admin maybe some programming jobs. They don't promote alot from within. The workplace isn't kept very clean and beer Friday is a keg in a trash can over ice....not very appealing. The work environment leaves alot to be said...management or lack there of and mainly lack there of makes for a very unstable environment. You never know from day to day who your manager is I have had 5+ in 6mos. The bonus is a joke. The amenities were better before they move to the hand me down Blizzard offices.
Pros
free lunch though not very good
Cons
frat house atmosphere
Great Learning Experience
Jr Admin (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 18, 2014
This job taught me a lot about web hosting and server administrating. Was worth it to work here, just not a great company to work for.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
terrible pto and attendance policies
Fun Workplace
Jr. Administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 4, 2014
Answering calls and chats about customer's websites. Assisted with server problems and site problems.
Technical support and Linux
I'd work here if you loved computers, Linux, and web site hosting.
Very strong on seniority rules the roost and they do not make everyone abide by the handbook.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
na
Internal Support/Billing administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin TexasMarch 17, 2014
I like to learn and like the opportunity to expand my knowledge base in the industry, opportunities to advance are scarce at best.
Great Place to Work!!
Fraud Agent/ Pending Accounts (Former Employee) –  Houston TXFebruary 27, 2014
The only bad things about this place were the rates of pay and the shifts 24/7set schedules with no weekends off for some.
Pros
great workinviroment and management
Cons
no weekends off/ odd hours and rates of pay
Very busy with high turnover.
Linux Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 11, 2014
High stress with an emphasis on metrics. Close lots of cases or go home. Quality of work is a second to numbers.

2.8