Hot Topic, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome coworkers and discount, otherwise typical retail job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNAugust 23, 2016
My managers, coworkers, and discount are what keeps me there. Typical retail job; folding, trying to sign customers up for credit cards/rewards, ringing, greeting people and informing them of sales, going around asking if they need help, selling body jewelry, etc. Been there almost 2 years and I still make minimum wage. My managers are great, willing to work around my other job's schedule. The discount is 40% which is amazing, you can often times combine it with the other deals in the store. No benefits of any kind if you aren't a manager. There is opportunity to advance if you are interested. They hire a lot of seasonal employees, but they are very clear with them that they are only seasonal.
Pros
Discount, coworkers, love the store's stuff
Cons
3 hour shifts usually, minimum wage, selling credit cards sucks, no PTO
good music, and fun people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 22, 2016
Working at Hot Topic was a good experience, even though didn't get to learn a whole lot, it was still a fun place to work. Management was really different than other places I've worked.
Pros
Awesome Discount
Cons
Lack of hours
Fun workplace with interesting social dynamics and cool people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAAugust 16, 2016
Customer greetings, sales pushing, merchandise organization and presentation, occasionally managing customer issue escalations, and opening/closing, which includes nightly floor cleans, register counts, and flooring shipments of merchandise.
Pros
Meeting and working with interesting people
Cons
No benefits, minimum wage with few rare opportunities for raises, no commision, part-time, customer issue escalation management
Good if you are just a sales associate, management life not fun
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 9, 2016
The company is way behind the times. But people love it so much that they don't bother to improve anything. The register systems are so outdated they don't even take checks.
Positive Attitude Doesn't Keep Your Store Running
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 8, 2016
Hot Topic is a fun company to work for, if you like working 2 hours a week. The level of training that you are provided when hired is weak, if not obsolete. The main thing you're told is "eh, you'll pick up on things." No one that works there really knows whats going on or what is even in stock. No matter how hard you work, unless you're a keyholder, you get one shift a week that doesn't exceed 4 hours. Getting promoted is the most difficult thing in the world. A coworker of mine took 3 years to become a keyholder. The company promotes creativity and 'being yourself' which is has done a fantastic job at. The customers and experiences you have working there are unmatched. Unfortunately, everything else falls to the wayside. Every store is unbelievably messy and the employees have no idea where anything is or if they even carry certain items.
Pros
50% employee discount
Cons
No shifts, awful management, little/no advancement, horribly ran store
Great environment to work at , music was great
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  First Colony, TXAugust 5, 2016
I wouldn't peruse hot topic to be a career job . Paying was very minimal and hours as well . Overall the environment was great with the exception of managers being under caring .
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Associates/managers
boring workplace with bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 5, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of being berated with insults from a certain manager and ridiculous management in general.
Pros
40% off all store items, any off day needed was most of the time granted
Cons
terrible management, didn't value employees, made undesirable business choices
Very fast paste work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 20, 2016
You had to be a very hard/efficient worker to complete everything you needed to do during your shift. It helped me develop those skills
Good Experience
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJuly 17, 2016
My experience at this job was fun, very straight forward, Stern, clean, funny. My time at this job during November during February i got along with all the employees, got good comments from customers out of most. Worked hard, always kept areas cleaned, and made sure i got work done.
Pros
Nice Employees, felt at home
Cons
Not enough hours.
very productive and a enjoyable environment.
Sales Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJuly 13, 2016
there isnt a hardest part of the job. I love it and i am glad to be a part in something that i love. The manager and staff are all great to be around and I always learn more things about myself.
Productive and stimulating workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJuly 8, 2016
I would recommend anyone to Hot Topic for entry level positions in retail or sales. Typical day included folding, customer interaction, and cashier's work. Management was nice, though there were in office quarrels over how to get things done. Hardest part of the job was the stocking of shelves and organization of shipment materials to company standard. The most rewarding part of the job was the interaction with customers who shared a common interest, and my store manager was always helpful to staff needs.
Pros
Fun staff, excellent customer base
Cons
Tedious store plan
Great products, ok management
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJuly 6, 2016
The products and the culture are amazing. But management is extremely into micro managing and gives out far too much work during open hours.
Fun job where most can get a great start in the working world
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2016
All co-workers got along well. Teamwork was emphasized daily and customers felt very welcome. Management worked hard with all employees to figure out how to be most effective in the workplace.
Fun environment
Sales Associate and cashier (Former Employee) –  Fair Oaks, VAJuly 3, 2016
A normal day would include restocking and organizing supplies, handling the cashier duties, and getting to know the customers in order to help further assist their visit.
Fast-paced and challenging
Store manager (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 1, 2016
Peers and district manager are extremely supportive. Co-workers and customers are amazing, the environment is fun, and the company keeps us on our toes with ever-changing promotions/visuals. If you're looking for a challenging and rewarding job, this is the place to be! Endless opportunities for advancement if you're hard-working and dedicated. However, the payroll is basically non-existent. We only have enough hours to have sales associate coverage on the weekends- Mon-Thurs closing managers are by themselves from 5:30pm to 10:30pm. This has never sat right with me in regards to loss prevention and the safety of our employees.
Pros
Customers, coworkers, environment, creative freedom, advancement opportunities
Cons
Payroll, low pay
Loved working here!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAJune 30, 2016
This was one of the funnest jobs I ever had. I was hired for holiday help and loved going to work everyday. My managers were super helpful and friendly.

The only issue I had was there was no room for advancement, and the pay was minimum wage, but its retail, so it comes with the job.

All in all, it was a great place!
Very fun and interesting work place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 29, 2016
Assisted different customers every day. A company you were able to go in and be yourself and not be judged. Very open to differences in employees and made sure everyone was happy and comfortable.
summary
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJune 29, 2016
Good place to work, bit strict, and if you go to school it doesn't work out to well, but it is nice, you get benefits of all kinds.
An excellent place to work, needs more hours
Keyholder-management (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 23, 2016
Typical day is stock, inventory, time schedule, bank deposit, register opener, cash drawer count, open store, displays, etc.

I have learned merely just a milestone of information to further my career in advancement for management. I strive for perfection due to my own impatient ways.

my co workers are fantastic and part of the team. without them we wouldn't make a sale. I love having strong team whether I am leading or following, I know we will get any task done.

hardest part of the job is to maintain store cleanliness as well as stay in on sales.

most enjoyable time is the people. I love having customers in the store, this way it keeps us busy and we meet our sales goals
Pros
lunch, friends, customers, coworkers, etc.
Cons
part time
enjoy my employees and my customers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJune 23, 2016
work was always enjoyable, but as an employee you feel unappreciated. I have no benefits and no paid time off. As management and an employee of 3 years i feel that should be given if you want to compete with other business. Also the pay isnt perfect, 8.50 to be a manager is kind of unfair and unrealistic.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
no healthcare poor wages

4.2