Hot Topic, Inc. Employee Reviews

retail skills development 101
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CAFebruary 23, 2017
weekly reports of personal sales quota amongst fellow associates, allowing a detailed comparison in those performing "well" or " need improvement".
Manager frequently talks to associates and leaders for a moment of constructive criticism improving sales and customer service, also a time for employees to engage in critical thinking on how to better performance from their end.
A great place for teenagers to get introduced into retail and older employees to build a better foundation on their own skills .
Pros
attention to own performance, associate discount, area for improvement
Cons
beware dry months
Nice job, awful hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 21, 2017
This is a fun job with a very laid back enviornment, which I enjoyed whole-heartedly. The only downfall in this company is the work weeks. I would maybe get 10 hours a week as an associate during the school year. It's good for people who are in high school or college that live at home and just need the extra cash, but don't expect to live off this on your own. Shifts are short, about 3 hours each. Also don't expect to get far in this company. You do not grow, and for the most part, sales associates stay associates. They hire outside for key-holders and assistant managers.
Pros
Fun environment, easy work, nice customers, free to express yourself
Cons
Low pay, awful hours, no room to grow
Good work enviroment with great team development.
Full Time Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 9, 2017
Store level work environment is fantastic, team work is highlighted and makes the place more enjoyable to work with. Benefits only if your part of the full time management team. Discount if your an employee is really good and able to be used with most sales.
High up management can sometimes be abrasive and condescending, but overall the company creates a positive work environment that promotes hard work, companionship among the staff, and goal achieving friendly competition among the districts.
Pros
Employee discount, friendly work environment
Fun job with the right team
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2017
I love this company with all my heart but I have seen and been victim to a viscous environment when the staff members do not work in unison with one-another. As store manager it is our duty to keep it in line- but there is a certain level of out of handness that comes into place at times. Higher up's (regional & above) should stop reigning down so hard on DM's who are then forced to do the same to SM's.
Pros
Great discount, great healthcare, fun environment, bonus incentives, good music
Cons
Poor communication from HQ to stores
Fun place to work, but not for long term employment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 26, 2017
Hot Topic's workplace culture was very relaxed and fun. You always have enjoyable employees and management, and if you love music, movies and books, then you will love being surrounded by pop culture and having to talk about pop culture every shift you work! It is heavily customer focused, and with any retail job, that is probably the biggest stress inducer. The company itself is pretty appreciative of its employees and stores.
Pros
fun environment, lax and warming workplace culture, great discount as an employee
Cons
customers can be a pain, the hours could be better
Northtown location difficult to work at
Sales Associate/ Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 2, 2017
There is not a lot of room for advancement at the Northtown location. Management has a hard time understanding and accepting mental health and how it affects work life. Sales associates get very little hours and have no way of making Hot Topic be their only job since they dont make enough money to fulfill their life expenses. The only positions that are able to do this are the upper management positions, and there is very little turnover in management and no room for advancement in management.
Long story short, dont apply for Hot Topic Northtown if you need to have a job to survive and pay your bills.
Pros
Great culture, amazing customers, good discount
Cons
Little room for advancement, hard to make a living
Retail sucks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago Ridge, ILJanuary 29, 2017
Probably just me but I realized that retail wasn't my strong suit here.
If you can put up with customers lack of respect for the people who work there then this job is for you, but I refused to let customers push me around especially if I am trying to be as professional as possible to help them buy things in this super commercialized over priced store.
Pros
Some cool people, the 40% discount was nice
Cons
Management, hours as a PT, money wasnt great
Fun and relaxing company
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Hot Topic is generally a very fun and engaging company to work for. Work days are fairly streamline as long as you stay on task, but sometimes sales goals can be a bit unrealistic. Hours are not always available, even for management, so sometimes you don't work enough hours. There really is no dress code though, so it's a great way to express yourself.
Pros
Dress code is awesome, can be reimbursed for concert tickets
Cons
Bad hours, low pay, and unrealistic sales goals
Place to be
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 20, 2017
I love working here because I can be myself. I do not have to be a certain person or look a certain way. I can come to work and bring the best me and that it how it should be. I work with individuals and sometimes even alone to make sure the store is ran right in order to help the customers in the best way I possibly can. I have learned my strength in working alone and also how awesome it is to work with other team members.
Wonderful work Experience
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PAMarch 6, 2017
Hot Topic was the place to work when i was 15. It was my style so i was able to get into everything in the store fairly easily. The store was tinny so it was quick to learn where everything was and the sales were almost the same. Everyone was always so nice when i would work with them and even the customers had smiles on their faces after i had gotten done talking to them.
Pros
discounted clothes
Productive and fun workplace, with little room for moving up in the company.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJJanuary 14, 2017
Working at Hot Topic has been a real pleasure and I've met many friends from my time there, however going on two years working there and never having a single write up or any disciplinary action taken towards me, I've still yet to see any availability for a promotion. I'm a hard worker and make all my goals within the company, and even often receive praise from my store manager, but still make minimum wadge. This is not a company that you can grow in.
Pros
Great discount, awesome people
Cons
Short hours, hardly any promotion availability, little pay
Productive work place and enviornment
Sales Associate, Greeter, and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILJanuary 7, 2017
The typical day at Hot Topic was, come in, clock in, look at our sales goal for the day and then look at what are sales are at that moment. Management was a very solid foundation of seasoned veterans that would help out all the rookies when we needed it or had no idea what we were doing.
My co-workers are the best because we all listen to the same kind of music or we all play the same video games.
Pros
40% off of everything in the store
Cons
I can't name any cons
Co workers are fun but higher ups are not
Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 6, 2017
I don't mean oh those district managers are jerks, it's just they are so disorganized. They want so much out of you, it really does leak into your personal life. My old manager used to break down into tears because of how the district manager would mock her. So the manager took it out on us, and we would stress out. Maybe other districts are better but due to this experience I would never work there again.

I do miss wearing whatever I wanted and listen to awesome music though! Management
Pros
Great discount, legit costumers who care about you, fun culture
Cons
Their operating system is from the stone age, outdated practices, too much micro Management
Productive Workplace
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  City Industry, CAJanuary 4, 2017
I worked in the IFC department, it was very difficult to understand on my first day but I got the hang of it very quickly the same day. It can be very fast pace during peak, shifts usually went by quick. The people I worked with were very friendly and helpful. The management was also great. The only hardest part of the job was getting used to the schedule but once you get used to it it's not bad, whatsoever. I really enjoyed my job as a whole, I wish I wasn't a temp, I would've enjoyed staying there.
Pros
Management, co-workers, huge break room.
Cons
N/A
Fun working environment with music and people to make work easy
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 1, 2017
There is always something to do and if nothing there is always someone to help. Finding new ways to organize and meeting new people keeps the work environment from remaining too stagnant. The management is super sweet and always willing to help when you have a question or are unable to complete a higher management task.
They don't give any hours
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sawgrass mills mallDecember 28, 2016
I was a seasonal employee, but to give me less than 20 hours in an entire 6 weeks of employment is ridiculous. And after my first day on the job was Black Friday too. The employees are very polite and helpful, but management doesn't seem to care I you don't work for 3 weeks straight.
Pros
Fun environment, wonderful employees
Cons
no hours, sporadic scheduling, their intellectual property clause, which forfeits any current or future inventions/creations of yours
Fun place to work as an entry level position.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 3, 2017
Just started working here as my first job and it's pretty good in terms of part time work. Hours are flexible and the atmosphere is very relaxed, the only thing wrong is that most workers don't get much more than part time hours. If you're into band culture, anime, or just nerd criteria in general this place would be a good fit for you.
Pros
Employee discount, laid back workers
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and chill enviroment with fun people
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 13, 2017
A typical day consists of listening to cool music and meeting cool people. The employee discount is pretty good too! (25% off). The times sold in the store are always up to date with media and social happenings. Make sure for your interview you're prepared to answer questions about pop culture.
Pros
Nice people, Good management, Decent pay
Cons
Tiny store
Stressful and unpleasant workplace
Cashier Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 27, 2016
On a typical day at Hot Topic, I was usually scheduled alone, with one manager who sat in the back room the whole shift. I was in charge of running the register, helping guests, restocking and organizing the tables and shelves. I learned how to work quickly under pressure, and how to run a store with no assistance.
Pros
great employee discount
Cons
rude coworkers, unqualified management
Fast-Paced Rewarding Career
Training, Networking, & Recruiting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 15, 2016
I loved all seven years that I spent at Hot Topic. I began as a seasonal sales associate and worked my way to being the Training, Networking, and Recruiting Manager within 5 years. I was promoted 6 times within 7 years. I won contests, trained and built teams, and excelled and teaching others how to run their stores above company standards.
Pros
Fast Paced, Challenging, Supportive Upper Management
Cons
Rate of Pay of Salesr Associates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hot Topic, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2