Hot Topic, Inc Employee Reviews

fun environment- great for learning business side
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXFebruary 2, 2016
my day began by checking the cash drawers, media folder, making the schedule for the day, going to the bank, checking emails and receiving shipment/
opening the store distributing shipment, customer service
maintaining emails and online orders,
Pros
fun place
Cons
lower management gets no recognition for store wide achievements
okay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJanuary 29, 2016
wasn't a big fan of working here, management is sexist. They let this one kid who's favorited do whatever he wants, they just hire anyone, even kids who smoke pot.
Loud, and a very different work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montclair, CADecember 24, 2015
A typical day at work at Hot Topic was mostly just folding clothes and replenishment. My managers and co-workers were all laid back and go with the flow so it made me feel comfortable to be myself. I learned a lot about being yourself and not being ashamed of being who you are. The job wasn't hard at all, but I really enjoyed greeting all the customers.
Fun Job, Great People
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYDecember 8, 2015
This job has been a great experience! Having taken a break from retail to work an office job, this was like a breath of fresh air. I have wonderful coworkers and everyone on the team is a great player. My management team cares about the associates and we all work together to make sure that our customers have a wonderful experience!
Pros
Fun People, Good Staff
Cons
Short Shifts
Great job if you like living at work !
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  TNNovember 30, 2015
Job was great while privately owned, has been bought by corporation. Now it is very impersonal, not enough home time, expected to work 60 + hours weekly with little to no advance notice of required overtime.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Too many hours
Great job! Meet a lot of exciting people and have fun with cool products.
Hot Topic Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYNovember 30, 2015
Being a Store Manager for Hot Topic has been one of the best experiences of my life. You get to work around great people and meet all different kinds of customers. The merchandise is always fresh and new so it keeps things interesting.
Pros
Meeting great people and working with customers
Cons
night weekend shifts, no consistent schedule
Amazing, relaxed place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Redding, CANovember 22, 2015
Loved this job, had lots of friends that worked there with me. While i worked there they ended up hiring like 10 people and ended up cutting mine and others hours back to almost nothing.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
hired to many people and cut hours for other employees
Fun and lively with excellent management.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 11, 2015
My time here was full of fun and opportunities to learn from the amazing members of management. I truly feel like I've learned what I have been needing to learn to be able to advance from the amazing team I worked with.
Great atmosphere
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAOctober 25, 2015
A great place full of positive people from all walks of life. The extreme immersion in pop culture was exciting. The variety of products sold made the job so much more fun.
Pros
high volume
Cons
unpredictable schedule
Productive fast pace work place with co-workers.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TexasOctober 22, 2015
Hot Topic was a company that was meant for high school due to the pay compensation it was an enjoyable company that allowed me to learn how to develop sales tactics.
Pros
Retail discounts
Cons
Short breaks and not the best health benefits
Great Place to be
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTOctober 22, 2015
Supportive Management team, fun work place and upbeat settings. They are willing to teach if you're willing to learn. Small staff makes for a tight team. I wish there were more hours to give and higher salary opportunities.
Pros
Fun, Upbeat
Cons
salary, hours
Really fun and chill place to work at.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bay Plaza, Bronx, NYOctober 21, 2015
A typical day at work includes listening to my favorite music, folding clothes, placing items in their proper place, and dealing with a P.O.S register.
Fun environment
Key holder/Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas NVSeptember 4, 2015
fun people to work with
fun company to work for
just wish the DM is handson
need to train sales associates better
need better stockroom process
Pros
discounts
Cons
hours
Heart Hot Topic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, KYSeptember 3, 2015
Hot topic is one of the best places i worked. Everyday talking to customers and meeting new people, and discovering different cultures.
I learned that I can have friendships at work.
The management was terrific. They always worked with you, flexible and always have your best interest in mind.
My co-workers were awesome. At one point we were able to work together without speaking to one another.
The hardest part of this job was leaving.
The most enjoyable part of this job was everyday i worked.
Pros
Co-Workers, Management, and work. Able to stay up to date in pop culture
Cons
Limited hours.
Great work place!
Hot Topic Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 3, 2015
I love working with this company, however there are no options for more hours and sometimes, depending on how busy the store is, my hours will be cut. I have been the top seller each week I have worked and I enjoy working with the other sales associates and managers.
Pros
Good music, great atmosphere
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive work place
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDAugust 30, 2015
A company that was definitely changed over the years. Not as much about the music as they used to be, but that's to be expected. My co-workers were great for the most part, I didn't work with them very much given the fact that I only worked mornings (4 hours max towards the end of my employment there). The enjoyable part of working for this company was talking about music, movies, pop culture with customers, meeting interesting and great new people, hearing customers say how much they loved the store, and they had a great music selection on the store's player. The hardest part of the job was making sure every customer never left empty handed. It's a lot easier said than done. Like I said before, I worked early in the mornings 4-5 days a week, during weekdays, the mall was pretty dead. There'd be times where foot traffic would pick up sporadically, but not often enough to make a real impact on sales. There was no real way for me to move up within the company without having to relocate, but seeing as how most malls in Maryland are so spread out, it wouldn't have been a possibility. The company is a lot about the numbers and keeping customers coming back rather than helping the associates or other managers grow. It was definitely a rollercoaster ride at times.
Pros
Environment was right up my alley, fun co-workers
Cons
About the numbers a bit too much, not realistic when it comes to selling approaches
Fun and productive working environment
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSAugust 27, 2015
On an average day at Hot Topic, I would help hundreds of customers discover or modify their current style of dress, as well as, helping collectors of music and other types of merchandise add to their growing collections.
Pros
Great music, employee discount
Stay Away!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus,GAAugust 5, 2015
One of the worst companies that I have ever worked for. Low pay, no hours,unless you are the store manager, and no chance for advancement. If you are store manger you will get burned out in less than a year because there is no support from upper management. You are expected to hold very high standards, but are given very few hours for staff. Crazy, crazy company.
Stay away!
Pros
Great discount
Cons
No hours for support staff, low pay, no breaks because you are often the only employee in the store.
Great group of women that are passionate about fashion!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 13, 2015
As long as you don't mind cleaning and endless organizing you will do well here. Must be customer service minded. The shifts are short so there isn't enough time for you to get bored.
Pros
AMAZING DISCOUNT
Cons
It's retail so the pay is less than stellar.
Wonderful job! No complaints!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYApril 9, 2015
This was one of the best jobs that I have ever had. As a manager, the work was hard enough to keep a person "on their toes" while the customers and other employees made it a fun environment. The company as a whole was wonderful to its employees. Had I not moved away to further my education and career it is very likely that I could have advanced within the company and been perfectly happy.