Hot Topic, Inc

Hot Topic, Inc United States Employee Reviews

Really great customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Natick, MAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: social, creative
Cons: short breaks, long hours, no opportunity for growth
On a typical day I would restock shelves and help customers shop.
I learned that people don't always know what they want when they are shopping, and that if you take the time to help them find what they want they usually spend more and come back. Customer service is something I excel at, and as a result I was a top percentage sales associate on a regular basis. The hardest part of this job in particular for me was that I never got a raise, a promotion or a yearly review of my work. The company itself is not very good, but working in retail was enjoyable because I got the chance to talk to customers about music and things we enjoyed very frequently.
Really good place to work
Stockroom Clerk and Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 17, 2015
I worked at Hot Topic for a few years and it was a very rewarding job with great coworkers and customers. I enjoyed working in a new atmosphere with like-minded people
Great place to work!
Associate Buyer (Former Employee), Industry, CaFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: product, people, and growth opportunities
I grew and learned so much about fit, fashion and plus size while working in the Torrid division. This division has now only grown to be it's own but Torrid and their team have set standards and trends for the plus size customer that other fashion retailers are just beginning to venture into. I miss buying for plus everyday.
Dont apply unless you like doing everyone else's job
FT assistant manager (Former Employee), Christiana MallFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: fun atmosphere, no dress code, good benefits
Cons: contradicting management, lazy workers, irresponsible workers
Apart from the fun atmosphere and being you, this place is not what it seems. Over time i have seen how unfair this place is. The store manager is lazy and puts the weight of her responsibilities on others shoulders. This work place is the subject of power abuse. If you do something wrong, prepare to be disciplined for it, even at your first expense but when the store manager herself does something wrong, she talks her way around it and pins it on others. You can also put in all the hard work you want. It will go unnoticed. Lazy and irresponsible workers will get more benefits for you. It was like a one man show and your coworkers were the crowd, just standing there watching.

Absolutely upset with the people who currently work there.
Also, its very disappointing seeing them allow people to come to work completely high.
Management is tyrannical at best
sales associate (Former Employee), Cedar Hill, TxNovember 9, 2014
Pros: store discount, customers
Cons: management, hours, opportunity for advancement
They hire you with a false sense of opportunity and advancement, then when you see that all of that is a lie and make other plans for other employment opportunities, they try to manipulate/intimate their way into keeping you for small, 3 hour shifts. The girls are catty and clique like. Management is just the same if not worse. Management is pushy, and will obsessively call to talk about your work performance.
A fun, fashion oriented environment
Assistant Manager, Torrid (Former Employee), Mercedes, TXSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: employeee discount
I enjoyed helping women find outfits that fit their body and style, that made them feel good about themselves. As a manager, I learned about staffing, interviewing, hiring, training, and operational procedures.
Good company
Product Development (Former Employee), Industry, CAAugust 27, 2014
Pros: work environment
Cons: long hours pay not comparable to scale of skill level
At time, work schedule consisted of a 10-12 hour work day. 9/80 work week. Learned how to take product from concept to saleable unit in store. Co-workers were brilliantly selected and their skills made for pleasant work environment.
Awesome Place to work
Sr. IT PM - Merchandising & Internet Systems (Former Employee), Industry, CAJuly 15, 2014
Pros: cafeteria in building, concerts
Cons: advancement was limited
The funnest place that I ever worked at. The culture is different, but once you get used to it you love it.
Casual work environment
Manager, Lease Administration (Current Employee), City of Industry, CAMay 4, 2014
Pros: casual work attire
Cons: understaffing, no room for advancement
Major selling point was 9/80 work schedule, which was taken away a few years ago. Still a very casual work environment. Most people do the work of two people, while raises are minimal and promotions depend on the political games played.
Fun job if you don't have bills
store manager (Current Employee), orlando, flMarch 14, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: ehh...
This company started out fun now it just sucks. On a normal tuesday for example you do shipment, meet sales goals, remerchandise the store, move stuff around, reviews sales, do paperwork and anything else that may be thrown at you. My point is little coverage and we work alone alot with goals we cant reach.
Fun when you can work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), DoverFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: store mgmt, discount
Cons: no hours, unrealistic store expectations
The store management is awesome but unless its Christmas don't expect to work more than 8 hours in 2 weeks. The pay is less than $8 and the discount is 40% so unless you have another job you wont be able to afford the clothes. If you really like Torrid clothes than its good for the discount. The manager can only schedule what the district mgr allows so you could be the only one there besides the manager and overworked.
Amazing management and great company culture
Accounts Payable Associate (Former Employee), Industry, CAJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: opportunity to learn new things, great company culture, open environment with amazing upper management
Cons: due to the economy a big lay off occured and a new ceo was appointed, this caused more needed lay offs and therefore created a loss of job security
I loved working at Hot Topic for almost 8 years. I learned a lot working under the management there and the company culture was great. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Fun work place, very postive
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lancaster, PAJanuary 22, 2014
Very positive and energetic work place. Excellent customer service.
Slave Wages and Horrible Managment
Cashier/Stylist (Former Employee), Ridgewood Queens New YorkJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: 40% off merchandise
Cons: management scheduling location pay
If you have a child or go to school Do Not Apply for this Job. During the interview the manager Larissa will make you feel like she'll be understanding to your scheduling needs. To the contrary; she will schedule you for a 2 hour closing shift which is a waste of time. If you expect to make decent money here think again. You wont even see a check over $130 and that's for 2 weeks of work. TORRID is only good to work at if you just like trying on clothes. Don't be fooled either the job is sale and performance based. The manger on shift will have you up-sell and steal your sale all in one fail swoop. DO NOT WORK FOR TORRID IN QUEENS !!!!!!
wasted youth
manager (Former Employee), floridaOctober 30, 2013
Pros: music and discount
Cons: unsafe work place. if ure a female expect to be alone at night
I served as management for this company for years and feel like I got nothing but heartache from it. I loved the staff and enjoyed the customers just HQ was not open to the differences from high volume to lower income stores. Plus pay wouldn't cover rent! If your promoted with in u get 4% raise every year. If hired from the outside for the same position expect them to get $5+ an hour for the same position you have. Oh and they like to hire people who are "pleasing to the eye" so they know nothing of the merchandise that they carry nor the music that you sell. So if u are 16 and don't want to survive on your own this is the place for you!
proactive learning envoriment with room to grow
Assistant Store Manger (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 6, 2013
Dealing with employment issues such as interviewing, hiring, and training employees, conducting appraisals and performance reviews; managing the store’s stock levels making key decisions about level and control; ensuring quality standards for customer service, health, and safety issues; resolving safety, legal and security problems; updating district and regional managers on business performance, new initiative and other issues; responding to customer complaints and comments; maintaining knowledge of market trends; developing store’s fashion style by recommending merchandise based on customer needs and desires; increasing our customer base; organizing various in-store promotions; motivating the store team to increase sales and ensure efficiency.
Amazing Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Nashua, NHAugust 14, 2013
Pros: freedom to dress casual, show tattoos, show piercings
This is such a great company to work for! You get to listen to music all day and meet some pretty awesome people who can even turn into life long friends.
Fun place to work, loud and full of excitement.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Westminster, CAAugust 10, 2013
Pros: employee discount, mall location.
Cons: sometimes you see very strange people in hot topic
Aside from listening to awesome loud music all day, Hot Topic is a fun filled place to work. Granted it does get slow and boring at times, but it picks up rather easily during the holidays. I would love to have stayed at Hot Topic but I left for a better paying job. Highly recommend this place for an entry level and first job. Just move fast, fold clothes neatly and you wont have any problems.
Best Retailer in SoCal to Work For !
Sr. Director of Human Resources (Current Employee), Industry, CAJuly 17, 2013
Great culture, benefits and very people focused ! You will love working here.
Amazing vibe and place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, NCJuly 16, 2013
Pros: music and culture
Cons: not very much room for advancement
I loved the time I had with this company. Could not ask for better employees and managment team.

About Hot Topic, Inc

Hot Topic, Inc., is a mall- and Web based specialty retailer operating the Hot Topic and Torrid concepts, as well as the e-space – Read more

Hot Topic, Inc Salaries