Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado Employer Reviews

Hectic pace with opportunities to develop leaders
Director of Reservations (Former Employee), Coronado, CA 92118August 30, 2014
Pros: discounted rooms at luxury resorts
Cons: lack of parking area especially in the summer
Arrived prior to the team to print all new offers and promotions for their information to be able to sell in a more informed manner. Calculated prior days call volume, call abandon rate and conversion. Sent report of findings to corporate as compared to previous years statistics along with synopsis. Weekly and monthly reports were calculated and forwarded – more... to corporate. Daily meeting with the managers and supervisors to exchange information on current priorities, agent updates and goals. Weekly individual meeting with managers and supervisors. Monthly individual meeting to discuss progress with each agent.
The most important learning aspect of the position was in the scheduling and prioritizing of tasks. Realizing that some tasks could be rescheduled to the next day according to their priority.
I have a strong belief in the "Management by wandering around". During my walks through the department, I was able to hear where the agents were having troubles in describing various packages or if they had a weak closing. This enabled me to set department training priorities as well as individual retraining needs.
I had an open door policy with my co-workers. They were comfortable in discussing concerns they had with other co-workers, supervisors and managers.
The hardest part of my position was in letting go of an employee, especially the employee that gave 100% and did not have the self confidence to ask for the sale.
Weekly we would have a Sales and Marketing Meeting. During this meeting we had the opportunity to discuss what was working and not working. We also had a time to discuss new ideas. I was instrumental in the development of the family suites. As the reservations director, I realized we had a very low occupancy on two of our suites. They were two bedroom suites with a king bed in each. I discussed the possibility of changing them to one bedroom with a king bed and the other with two twins and a kids decorum. These two suites instantly became one of our most requested room types and our average daily rate increased by over $200.00.
Working in the reservations department at the del for many years, I had the rare opportunity of hiring a young man or lady and watching them progress both personally and professionally. Personally I had the opportunity to see them get married and start a family. Professionally, I helped mentor them and afford them the opportunity for growth. A few of my most memorable are an agent I hired whom I promoted to supervisor, manager, then she made the jump sales manager. Another I had hired as an agent and promoted to supervisor, when Viejas opened their hotel, he left to become the reservations manager. – less
Productive & fun
Houseman-Housekeeping (Former Employee), Coronado, CAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: free meals
This is my first job as houseman-housekeeping.
Work at the hotel was fun especially with the support of co-workers & supervisors. I got trained to work systematically and with caution. I was trained to use machinery & equipment for cleaning, too. I cleaned the halls, walls, stairways, elevators, suites, lobby & vacuum, shampoo carpets. Cleaned restrooms – more... & refills supplies. Empty trash & clean waste receptacles. I assisted in moving furnitures and other fixtures. – less
Fun, Customer service driven, family resort
Recreation Supervisor (Former Employee), Coronado, CAJuly 23, 2014
Working at the Del provided me with many skills and learned experiences. Some include, time management, effective communication, team work and problem solving.
With such a big resort, one would assume that one's "team" only encompasses their department, which is not true. There is an awesome dynamic between departments because all share a common goal: – more... to deliver the exceptional customer service in order to provide each guest with a personalized experience.
Because the influx of guest was always changing, the days are never the same. During the summer the recreation staff is responsible for different activities, on the beach and at the pool, both of which offering beach set ups and cabana rentals, as well as a myriad children's activities dispersed throughout the day. Movie night is also hosted at the pool. In the off session, the highlight of the recreation department is it's ice skating rink. Set up on west side of the property, the stunning view of the ocean attracts many. The role of a supervisor was that of a leadership role, and sought to improve day to day operations and assumed responsibility for guest retention/recovery.

The camaraderie among the staff and guest interaction is what makes this job amazing. – less
Creative and fast paced workplace
Intern/Pastry Cook (Current Employee), Coronado, CAJuly 9, 2014
Long hours and creative people brought together to share ideas and make for a forward moving company with incredible ideals and standards. A good work environment that allows for lots of creativity.
Incoming and outgoing of all USPS, Overnight packages, fax, and shipments for conventions
Buissness Center Clerk (Former Employee), Coronado, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: special people we meet
Cons: late days and nights
everyday was different and everyone was too, from New Yorkers needing to connect with their office to employees needing to ship out materials for guest.Getting ready for special guest and not letting the media know they were there.
Hotel Del Coronado
Seasonal Human Resource Coordinator (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2014
Pros: fast paced work environment. personable staff. world renowned location
A typical day in the HR office at the Hotel Del Coronado is fast paced and extremely busy. Its enjoyable speaking to people who are excited for the opportunity to work at the hotel. I learned a better grasp of what it take to run an efficient HR office. During my employment at the Hotel Del Coronado I experienced different types of management styles. – more... My co-workers and the staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job is having to leave it due to relocating in a different area. The best part about working at the Hotel Del Coronado is being a part of the magic that consumes the hotel. On a daily basis I spoke to people who were excited that they received a callback regarding employment. – less
Good for learning guest relations
Sales Associate (Former Employee), CAFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: see my review
I find that the retail department does not hire the best people for positions. When a new hire starts right away my reaction is dismal! Too many cooks in the kitchen who tell us what to do but have no business telling us what to do because they are never really in the stores on a day to day basis. There are too any people I'm charge of who knows what!! – more... It's very strange the way the retail department is set up! There are a few supervisors who are really good. They actually care about guests and the hotel. – less
Great place to work at while in college
Spa Attendant (Former Employee), coronado, caJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: free lunch, good pay
Cons: unionized, have to pay union dues
The Hotel Del is a historic landmark of San Diego and a great place to work at while getting through college. Great people and got to work at a relaxing, world class spa every weekend.
Amazing staff!
Full Time, Reservations Account Specialist (Former Employee), Coronado CaliforniaOctober 7, 2013
Pros: free hot lunch, vision, dental, union positions, incentive, amazing staff!
Cons: limited growth or advancement, parking limitations during the busy season.
I learned how important it is to have five star presence in your everyday life. My co-workers are the best in the business with genuine love the industry. The hardest part of my job is when a guest is unsatisfied. The best part of my job is creating guests for life and building that special connection with families.
hotel job
Cashier/ Attendant/ Customer Service (Former Employee), coronadoSeptember 10, 2013
is a good company that pays good even when you have to pay for the union fees.
Excelent hotel, historic landmark
Hotel Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Coronado, CASeptember 9, 2013
Pros: free use of facilities such as beach area, pool, discounts in restaurants. free employee cafeteria, excelent benefits
Cons: no upper mobility. hotel was no a chain enterprise where one can explore better opportunities
Considered one of the best hotels in the country, beautiful surroundings, great clientele , lots of history for its 125 years of constant service. A workplace where I was able to acquire experience in the hotel security field and work with law enforcement agencies to provide assistance for visiting dignitaries
friendly environment
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 3, 2013
Pros: 5 star customer service experience
Cons: no cons
A typical day at work would include 100% 5 star customer service in their hotel del shops. I would get to meet people from around the world and provide exceptional customer service so they would get a better experience during their stay at the Hotel.
Awesome place to work if you don't mind weekends, nights and holidays!
Retail Sales Supervisor (Former Employee), Coronado, CA 92118October 11, 2012
Pros: uniforms, free meals and drinks, it's like having real seasons.
Cons: they never close so work shifts are never the same, but what would one expect working at a hotel.
Everyone is on vacation so they're for the most part happy.
Awesome location.
You see famous people.
Living in So Cal you don't really have seasons, but working for the del you do. Something is always going on for each one.
Front of the house and back of the house staff are all super nice to work with. One big TEAM.
Poor retail management and unhappy employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Coronado, CAMay 11, 2012
Pros: location, uniform provided
Cons: low morale, retail higher management is out of touch
The location cannot be beat but the staff are not happy. I'm sure the low morale is partly due to serving rich clientele and then being fed yucky food in the employee cafeteria. The "back of the house" areas like the cafeteria and restrooms are in horrible disrepair. Employees are forbidden from using the nice restrooms. The whole culture and set-up – more... continually reinforces the idea that employees are second class citizens. I was hired part-time, and started without orientation, at one of the retail shops. This was after applying for an assistant buyer position that I am over qualified for and being told at the interview that they only promote from within for that job. It was made clear to me that I had to start at the bottom in their corporation and pay my dues despite my 20 years of retail management and buying experience. I was impressed with their reputation at the time and decided to get it a shot. I received conflicting training from three different employees due to the manager being on leave. There was no MOD delegated while she was away. To top it off, I was called to the retail director's office two weeks after starting work and told that I needed to commit to 39 hours a week or turn in my resignation. Being a single mom, I clearly communicated my availability in the interview, so I resigned. The retail division has so much potential but the continual turnover tells me there is something very wrong and I am not alone in my experience there. – less
HDC good to get on your resume
Bartender (Current Employee), Coronado, CAMay 6, 2012
Pros: benefits, pay
Cons: seniority, poorly ran
While I do love HDC for the people I've met and the experience I've gained the hotel is poorly ran. They are cheap and always looking to cut corners. This is the fault of KSL resorts not the managers and supervisors. The managers and supervisors on-duty are short-staffed, over-worked, and spread-thin. You have to be able to handle things yourself. Getting – more... in the weeds is very easy here. If you don't mind out-dated computers, sharing one ice cart for three high-volume restaurants, and things breaking all the time it may be worth your while.

The union situation has it's pros and cons. Although you do get benefits it takes time to work up to the best shifts. If you put the time in though the money can be amazing. You will get the less money-making shifts at first.

Benefits are good but you have to make sure you are getting them because they won't do anything like that for you. You have stay on top of stuff like that. I'd say all-in-all this place is good for the money you make, the benefits you receive, and getting such a well known establishment on your resume. If you can take everthing else in stride it's worth it – less
Over all a good place to work, but.....
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Coronado, CAAugust 29, 2011
Pros: free parking
Cons: few permanent positions mostly seasonal.
Beautiful location, some good perks like free parking and free lunch (but only early in the day on the lunch, otherwise soggy salad and over-steamed food is icky). Over all a good place to work, but you will work hard! Definitely not a job for slackers and undependable people. I loved meeting the guests of the hotel who stayed there, working in one – more... of the retail shops there, I was lucky to meet quite a few, most where very nice. – less

About Hotel del Coronado

La Costa could be Spanish for "ultimate luxury". La Costa Resort and Spa sits on 400 lush acres in the never-changing perfect – Read more

Hotel del Coronado Photos