Hotel del Coronado Employee Reviews in United States

a very negatiove work enviroment
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAMay 4, 2016
the management really needs to be better at communicating. No one is on the same page and it a very disorganized environment. Nothing is ever appreciated or aknowleged for anything anyone does.
Pros
discounts on merchandise
Cons
no healthcare and not enough money
No advancement for me.
Vice President of Sales (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAFebruary 25, 2016
I enjoyed The Del, worked in many departments as a trainee in the hotel management program. At that time no one was leaving in The Sales Department, so hence no advancement.
Pros
Free parking and lunches
Cons
Could not move up
A new challange everyday
Network Engineer\I.T. Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAJanuary 12, 2016
Maintaining an historic hotel and bring it into the future. The people I worked with are the reason for a good day. Associates are happy and enjoy their jobs and that makes your job of supporting them much more pleasant.
This company went through a take-over, and a new General Manager was appointed. The essence of The Del felt stripped away.
Sales & Staff Supervisor - Retail (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CADecember 2, 2015
The Hotel del Coronado is one of the most amazing iconic properties in America. I worked here for 5 years. The property was taken over & a new GM was appointed. The essence of The Del was stripped away and replaced with dollar signs. It is not the place it once was. I truly hope that one day it will be again taken over by someone/a company that truly cares about the historic excellence of this beautiful property and will bring back the historic value that this property so deserves.

Working here before the take over was magical, after the take over miserable.
Relaxed Luxury
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CASeptember 30, 2015
The Hotel del Coronado is the friendliest work environment in San Diego. The management is very organized and efficient,
Fun place to work, great learning opportunities
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAMarch 9, 2015
I loved it. It had its ups and downs but it was overall an amazing opportunity and I hope someday I will be able to go back. You definitely worked however; that's why they pay you. You always had a chance to learn something new and for the most part managers do care and do their best to support you.
Pros
fun people, great benefits, good pay
Cons
understaffed
I really like all my co-workers, hotel wide. Some really good people.
Retail (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CAFebruary 16, 2015
It's a great place to work. Coming over the bridge and seeing that beautiful structure among all the trees and ocean is amazing. Put's me in a good mood.

Guests are 99.9% happy because they're on vacation and in a beautiful location. So that is a big perk.

My supervisor is awesome. Our department has some really good people.

I love working here. I love customer service so my favorite part of the job is making people happy. I love when a guest leaves laughing and happy. I love it even more when they come back the next day just to say hi. It's a good feeling.
Pros
the hotel feeds you and clothes you. offers great room discounts there and our sister hotels.
leaning different chemical , maping , making bed, make sure the room is very clean before the clent arrive, ..etc.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2015
Working with hotel del was very nice , I had a lot of experience , have good management , also good co-works , we work as a team which was the so nice ,
fun and exciting job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CANovember 24, 2014
this job is fun and overall just exciting. the location is the best and beautiful location in the world.
One of the best places to work in California, great people and the culinary Team in Great!!!
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2014
Great Property and is a Landmark in the world, I find my self very lucky to be part of the Culinary Team in that Property.
fdhj
asey (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CANovember 12, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Great Team
Banquet Manager (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CANovember 5, 2014
Wonderful employees, minimal turn around. Fast paced environment, exceptional staff to provide memorable service.
Working with guests who are on vacation and providing them with outstanding guest service
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CASeptember 27, 2014
Working with guests who are on vacation and learning how to satisfy guests who are on vacation by providing them with the best service. Coworkers are awesome people who are very friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job would be telling a guest that we dont have something that they need/want. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all different kinds of people from all over the world.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
dont match 401 k
Great pay, disorganized management
Recreation Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CASeptember 17, 2014
A typical day of work could entail doing just about anything if a guest asks for anything you hop on it right away
I learned not everyone should be a manager
Management was inexperienced and disorganized never ariound when you need them but a nuisance when you needed to get work done
Pros
free lunch, great pay, great hours
Cons
inexperienced management, unproductive employees, lack of communication
Hectic pace with opportunities to develop leaders
Director of Reservations (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CA 92118August 30, 2014
Arrived prior to the team to print all new offers and promotions for their information to be able to sell in a more informed manner. Calculated prior days call volume, call abandon rate and conversion. Sent report of findings to corporate as compared to previous years statistics along with synopsis. Weekly and monthly reports were calculated and forwarded to corporate. Daily meeting with the managers and supervisors to exchange information on current priorities, agent updates and goals. Weekly individual meeting with managers and supervisors. Monthly individual meeting to discuss progress with each agent.
The most important learning aspect of the position was in the scheduling and prioritizing of tasks. Realizing that some tasks could be rescheduled to the next day according to their priority.
I have a strong belief in the "Management by wandering around". During my walks through the department, I was able to hear where the agents were having troubles in describing various packages or if they had a weak closing. This enabled me to set department training priorities as well as individual retraining needs.
I had an open door policy with my co-workers. They were comfortable in discussing concerns they had with other co-workers, supervisors and managers.
The hardest part of my position was in letting go of an employee, especially the employee that gave 100% and did not have the self confidence to ask for the sale.
Weekly we would have a Sales and Marketing Meeting. During this meeting we had the opportunity to discuss what was working and not working. We also had a time to discuss
  more... new ideas. I was instrumental in the development of the family suites. As the reservations director, I realized we had a very low occupancy on two of our suites. They were two bedroom suites with a king bed in each. I discussed the possibility of changing them to one bedroom with a king bed and the other with two twins and a kids decorum. These two suites instantly became one of our most requested room types and our average daily rate increased by over $200.00.
Working in the reservations department at the del for many years, I had the rare opportunity of hiring a young man or lady and watching them progress both personally and professionally. Personally I had the opportunity to see them get married and start a family. Professionally, I helped mentor them and afford them the opportunity for growth. A few of my most memorable are an agent I hired whom I promoted to supervisor, manager, then she made the jump sales manager. Another I had hired as an agent and promoted to supervisor, when Viejas opened their hotel, he left to become the reservations manager.
Pros
discounted rooms at luxury resorts
Cons
lack of parking area especially in the summer
Productive & fun
Houseman-Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAAugust 20, 2014
This is my first job as houseman-housekeeping.
Work at the hotel was fun especially with the support of co-workers & supervisors. I got trained to work systematically and with caution. I was trained to use machinery & equipment for cleaning, too. I cleaned the halls, walls, stairways, elevators, suites, lobby & vacuum, shampoo carpets. Cleaned restrooms & refills supplies. Empty trash & clean waste receptacles. I assisted in moving furnitures and other fixtures.
Pros
free meals
Fun, Customer service driven, family resort
Recreation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAJuly 23, 2014
Working at the Del provided me with many skills and learned experiences. Some include, time management, effective communication, team work and problem solving.
With such a big resort, one would assume that one's "team" only encompasses their department, which is not true. There is an awesome dynamic between departments because all share a common goal: to deliver the exceptional customer service in order to provide each guest with a personalized experience.
Because the influx of guest was always changing, the days are never the same. During the summer the recreation staff is responsible for different activities, on the beach and at the pool, both of which offering beach set ups and cabana rentals, as well as a myriad children's activities dispersed throughout the day. Movie night is also hosted at the pool. In the off session, the highlight of the recreation department is it's ice skating rink. Set up on west side of the property, the stunning view of the ocean attracts many. The role of a supervisor was that of a leadership role, and sought to improve day to day operations and assumed responsibility for guest retention/recovery.

The camaraderie among the staff and guest interaction is what makes this job amazing.
Creative and fast paced workplace
Intern/Pastry Cook (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CAJuly 9, 2014
Long hours and creative people brought together to share ideas and make for a forward moving company with incredible ideals and standards. A good work environment that allows for lots of creativity.
Incoming and outgoing of all USPS, Overnight packages, fax, and shipments for conventions
Buissness Center Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAApril 16, 2014
everyday was different and everyone was too, from New Yorkers needing to connect with their office to employees needing to ship out materials for guest.Getting ready for special guest and not letting the media know they were there.
Pros
special people we meet
Cons
late days and nights
Hotel Del Coronado
Seasonal Human Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2014
A typical day in the HR office at the Hotel Del Coronado is fast paced and extremely busy. Its enjoyable speaking to people who are excited for the opportunity to work at the hotel. I learned a better grasp of what it take to run an efficient HR office. During my employment at the Hotel Del Coronado I experienced different types of management styles. My co-workers and the staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job is having to leave it due to relocating in a different area. The best part about working at the Hotel Del Coronado is being a part of the magic that consumes the hotel. On a daily basis I spoke to people who were excited that they received a callback regarding employment.
Pros
fast paced work environment. personable staff. world renowned location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hotel del Coronado. Our community is ready to answer.