Houghton College Employee Reviews

Enjoyed interacting with others
VIDEOGRAPHER ISLAMIC STUDIES (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYJune 11, 2017
I learned how to handle equipment quickly and effectively; a typical day consisted of gathering equipment needed, setting it up to film the class and spending two hours each class period filming. I liked working for Houghton College because it helped me gain experience in my field of study.
Great work/life balance
Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  Houghton NYJune 2, 2017
Wonderful people, great mission. Salary was okay for the area. But job security is tenuous. I was there for 18 years (gone 2 years now). I would go back under the right circumstances!
Pros
Wonderful work environment.
Cons
Constant budget stress
Fun workplace where you can listen to music while washing dishes
Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYMay 25, 2017
This job was great because I could just be by myself and not talk to anybody while washing dishes. This was my first job and I really enjoyed the atmosphere there.
Wonderful people, administration slightly sketchy
Welcome Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Houghton, NYApril 17, 2017
The people I have met are irreplaceable. I have also been treated exceptionally by my bosses. The only thing that makes me nervous are the recent rifts in administration.
Simple Cleaning Job
Bathroom Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYJanuary 6, 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job was it was flexible with my college schedule so I could work anytime I was available. The job wasn't difficult and only took 45 minutes to do daily. My supervisor was very understanding in certain situations where I was sick or needed a substitute.
Fun work in idyllic surroundings
Director of Print Design (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2016
If you've ever dreamed of a Swiss Family Robinsons lifestyle combined with academic rigor and rural upstate peace and quiet, this place is great. While working at Houghton College, I walked to work every day, rain or snow or shine, interacted with friends and sometimes family through work, and was always involved in a variety of projects.
Pros
Sense of community, peaceful work environment, accessibility of college campus amenities like the gym and swimming pool, concerts, lectures and student culture.
Cons
Pay is lower than a comparable job in an urban setting, not a whole lot of career mobility
Pretty shabby
professor (Current Employee) –  Houghton, NYJune 19, 2016
Faculty jobs are low paying, administration has been mediocre, lots of things being swept under the rug. Not such a great situation.
Good Experience
Assumed the legal duties of a lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYFebruary 19, 2016
Houghton College was a great place to work! My employers and co-workers were very friendly and easy to get along with. Work days were most of the time good with little or no problems to deal with. Learned how to stay focused on the job and make sure everyone that was in the pool was safe.
Challenging and Exciting Job
Outdoor Adventure Guide (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYJanuary 24, 2016
In charge of the physical, emotional, and environmental welfare of campers. Work was challenging but rewarding. Lots of time spent using outdoor recreation to facilitate campers' personal growth.
Pros
Outdoors, Outdoor Rec, Good Coworkers
Cons
Seasonal, Little Chance for Advancement
Donation Collector (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYJanuary 18, 2015
This was not a job, this was college. I was not paid to attend college.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Laid back work environment.
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Houghton, NYOctober 16, 2014
Working at Houghton College is a good opportunity for me because it allows me to work and attend school at the same location. My manager is very flexible and understanding, and the work is reasonable.
Small town college
Tech Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYMarch 20, 2014
Ran data/electrical wire through construction site. Recorded and mapped out outlets, wifi hotspots and ethernet ports.
Great place to work if you like a quiet and laid back atmosphere
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houghton,NYMarch 10, 2014
A typical day of work includes: checking the four buildings i'm responsible for, checking on student workers and the jobs they perform, performing my own daily cleaning jobs.
College
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYFebruary 22, 2013
In a commercial and college residential building setting my duties include a range from changing a 5watt bulb to changing/adding a 450amp service panel.
Also, the changing of bulbs/ballasts (as required) in low/high voltage (125/250vac) lighting applications. Also adding branch circuits to upgrade existing power needs.
I repair of anything electrical and ranging from oven ranges, dishwashers, microwave ovens, fire alarm panels, emergency lighting and smoke detectors. If it has electrical power, it exists within my job spectrum.
I am also, responsible for monthly inspections and maintenance of emergency power generators. Also, installed smoke/fire detection systems in residence buildings.
I am trained and experienced in the safe use of tools and equipment necessary to the job request, i.e. multimeters. ladders, manlifts, bucket truck.
Wonderful People
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYOctober 26, 2012
Houghton college is a fantastic community of like minded individuals, they don't pay the best, but you'll love your time there
A great place to work while in school
Sales Associate (Part time) (Former Employee) –  Houghton, NYJuly 17, 2012
I maintained this job while I was a student at Houghton College. The work environment is excellent. Management always encourages you to find your niche in the company. I created many visual displays within the store and was given many creative projects. We recieved great feedback from the customers and management was also impressed. You are always given support and constructive criticism which I throughly appreciated.
Pros
great company culture, supportive management, constructive critcism, customer interaction
Cons
fixed pay
A lot of work for very little reward.
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Houghton, NYMarch 1, 2012
This place has a lot of potential and does offer a decent education, but is investing very little in its backbone, i.e. the faculty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houghton College. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6