Houghton International Inc. Employee Reviews

Tons of work with little payoff
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 14, 2017
Terrible work experience, between poor management, last minute force overtime, poor planning, no safety culture, and lack of concern for employees (vacation,pay)
Cons
short breaks, low wage, terrible benifets
We do the coolant reclycing at a local plant that is closing
COOLANT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Spencer, IAAugust 8, 2017
We have a schedule to go through and maintain all machines in the plant when it was at full production, however there are always things that come up that we must take care of first, and these things have to be taken care of without stressing out because they are priority, of course this can change you entire plan for the day but as long as you are flexible you can make all things work. It is a friendly environment to work in with some really great gpeople that we come in contact with through out my position. I have enjoyed getting to learn new things all time and also getting to know not only the employees at my company but also the ones at the plant where we are in contract with. Everyday there is a something new however I love to learn and if you have a can do attitude you can learn and grow every day.
Pros
Comfortable enviroment to work in
Cons
The plant closing
terrible place full of life sucking leaches full of misery
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 18, 2017
Terrible work environment, hostile
Very little supervision, no on site HR
If you dont have 10 years seniority, your life means nothing. Your a whipping boy
Out dated plant from the 50s, dangerous exposures, lack of training, corrective actions, complete lack of competent maintenance department makes this place a ticking time bomb.
In 30 years of being in the chemical manufacturing industry, this is the worst experience ive had....
Pros
no pros
Cons
read above
Official response from Houghton International Inc.
April 25, 2017

Thank you for your comment. We encourage you to contact HR to talk about your concerns so we can help. We do not want any employee to have an experience like this and would like to better understand your concerns.

Growing industry
Procurement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Valley Forge, PAFebruary 23, 2017
A good place to work if you are looking for a challenge and opportunities to grow. Small company with some risk but big reward.
Merger Reduced Sales
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Valley Forge, PAJanuary 6, 2017
Company had great product and had large customers like U.S. Steel and Arcelor Mittal. Company merged with a competitor and kept the salesmen with 20+ years experience and released remaining.
Houghton
Supply Chain & Demand Planning Leader (Former Employee) –  Valley Forge, PADecember 29, 2016
Great company and the people that make it up. Seamless transition into a world i was not familiar with. I was only supposed to be working as a temporary employee for 3 months, but was kept on for a total of 10 months by the end of my duration at Houghton. This gesture went to show they reward and care about employees to put in the work needed to help a company succeed, even a temporary employee on a contract.
Good Place to Work
Business Intelligence Architect (Current Employee) –  Blue Bell, PAOctober 11, 2016
Environment Is Very Good For Work , Work Flexibility , Time Flexibility , Good Management , Co - Workers are Co operative, Team Leads are Helpful. Good Place to Grow...
Pros
Tea, Coffee, Snacks
Cons
Healthcare
Landing spot
Worker bee (Former Employee) –  Valley Forge, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Company is OK as long as you realize you shouldn't 't stay here. Co-worker are fine and middle the management is OK at best. The company leadership, this is where things get a little dicey. They really don't have a plan. It's a lot of talk but very little results if any at all. Technology at the company is pitiful. I wouldn't say they are at the forefront of anything. It's a place where you go and get experience and move on... nothing more to see, move along.
Pros
Free massages during summer
Cons
Technology, company direction and weak leadership
See below
Technical Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Valley Forge, PAJanuary 5, 2016
This job was challenging, demanding, a lot of travel and long hours.It gave me the opportunity to work with knowledgable coworkers, learn new things everyday, work for a worldwide company and meet new people.
ok company
process engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 10, 2015
Ok. Not the most organized. Culture is ok.Not the most technical advanced company. That is all I can say about company. Area is a bit shady.
The Morning greetings from all the staff
Bilingual Accounts Payable Specialist /Finance (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PASeptember 7, 2015
Houghton was an enjoyable company to work for. They provided a very friendly and flexible job environment. Management always provided plenty of experience and resourced to help aid in the the completion of daily function.
Pros
Weekly free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Great Place To Work!!!!
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 9, 2015
Very solid Globally. They have the best resources for developing yourself and putting you in a good position for growth.
Great Learning Oppertunities
Desktop Support Administrator (Current Employee) –  Valley Forge, PAJune 9, 2015
Answering Support Tickets
Working on Technology Projects
Self Learning Website
Good Overall Company
Pretty Good Benefits
Pros
Lots of Learning
Cons
No room to grow
Intense Work Environment with High Expectations
Site Coordinator/Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  Brook Park, OHApril 1, 2015
This job is designed to provide on-site fluid managment for the coolant and washer systems used during the manufacturing process of engine parts. I helped the plant manager organize employee job tasks, attend customer quality review meetings, write CPU/GPU reports, etc. The hardest part of the job were the long hours, I was often asked to work 6 or 7 days out of the week and most days were 9-10 hours long. I learned a lot about time management and customer interaction through this position and I greatly enjoyed the traveling aspect of the job to other sites.
Pros
Compensation through covering of phone bills, lunches, etc.
Cons
No breaks, long hours
Fast paced, demanding environment
Warehouse Inventory Planner (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAMarch 2, 2015
I would complete tactical day to day responsibilities while managing unique issues throughout the day.

I learned how to prioritize and manage stressful situations in a professional efficient manner.

Working environment was very friendly and all my coworkers were very friendly and helpful.
Overworked
Computers (Current Employee) –  Audobon, PA.August 27, 2014
There is too much work and not enough time to complete. Bad work/life balance.
Cons
Overworked
Hang You Out To Dry
FluidCare Site Manager (Former Employee) –  No ListedJuly 16, 2014
Challenging but most of that was due to lack of resources provided and allowed. P&L is all that matters.
Pros
Technical Sales Department is an excellent resource
Cons
Company top heavy, Will be used as a for upper management mistakes
Fun workplace
Lab technician (Former Employee) –  Ford engine plant 1 in Brookpark OhioJanuary 28, 2014
A typical day was one of fun and fulfillment. I enjoyed the job and loved to go to work.
Pros
People made you feel like you were part of the team
Cons
Contractual and mediocre health benefits
Worldwide IT projects
Chief Technologist (Former Employee) –  valley forge, paOctober 1, 2013
This position handled all non-ERP IT & Telecom projects in the US, Asia-Pacific. Plus it consulted with our UK IT team on interconnects between the US & UK datacenters.
Vp global technology and r&d director
VP Global Technology (Current Employee) –  Valley Forge, PAApril 21, 2013
Innovative and forward-thinking global leader with drive to deliver remarkable bottom line savings. 20+ years in lubricant industry developing ground-breaking technologies and processes for top ranked companies. Thrive in rapidly changing environments and leading cross-functional teams. Excel at achieving merger & operational excellence and synergy savings. Selected for 2-year expatriate assignment in Europe.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houghton International Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Houghton International Inc. Reviews by Location