Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Employer Reviews

Good and stable company
Lead DBA/Project Manager (Former Employee), Wilmington MAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: cool environment
Cons: not a lot of growth
Overall this company is good
Not a lot of growth but company is pretty much stable.
Books and the buggy whip
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee), Burlington, MANovember 25, 2014
Pros: un to suffer
This was truly a wonderful place to work. Myself, and the people I worked with had a great sense of pride in the work we did. Book publishing along with other sources of print media had began to suffer. We were all outsourced.
Two contract positions no offer of fulltime
Customer Service (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 19, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
Two contract positions no offer of fulltime...I have nothing more to add.
Nice place. Would like to work there perm.
SAP Reporting Specialist for Customer Master (Former Employee), Geneva, ILNovember 19, 2014
Pros: building comfort, non-cutthroat culture, cooperative and helpful
Cons: some services slow as in acquiring it support for necessary job tools.
Productive, positive, cooperative workplace. Great managers with realistic goals, plans, expectations.
Progressive and driven...
e-Marketing Project Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 2, 2014
I am a modern day Corporate firefighter where I put out fires on a daily bases. There many challenges that projects are faced and solutions must be quick, thorough and effective.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Program Coordinator and Program Manager (Former Employee), Rolling Meadows, ILOctober 29, 2014
Pros: summer hours; onsite gym and cafateria
Cons: continuous change in management
Managed the administration and execution of contractual obligations between Riverside Publishing and stakeholders. Lead cross-functional teams in budget and schedule creation, weekly program meetings, and advance planning for peak business seasons. Communicated with clients to provide quality control methods, coordinate future tasks, and scope of work changes due to federal regulations updates. Created program charters, standard operation procedures, contract modifications, risk/issue logs, contract close-out, and invoicing documentation for yearly debriefings. Proven to have an outstanding project outcome and exceptional client relationship.
Relaxed work enviroment where co-workers feel more like family.
Temporary Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 19, 2014
A typical day at work includes assisting academic professionals in ordering books and other necessary educational tools to ensure student success.
Stressful place to work
Senior Customization Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXOctober 17, 2014
Very little, if any, training is provided and the expectation is that every employee knows how to complete all projects with little or no detail. Questions are viewed as incompetence.
Extremely busy, the go-to-person for 250+ people, dependable, reliable
Executive Administrator (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 5, 2014
A typical work day:
20% executive assistant to President -- calendar management, travel, expenses

35% office manager -- 250+ employees -- facility management, office/stationary management, event submissions

45% event coordinator -- project manage events on premise, outside venues (Boston/Puerto Rico/New York) -- from start to finish, hotel nights, conference rooms, food, cocktail parties, technology, design of materials
I work there now
Supervisor/shipping associate (Former Employee), indianapolis IndianaSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: benefits, pay everything a plus
great job came to work was very family oriented management excellent coworkers great
This is an excellent company to work for.
Sales Support Representative (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: great salary, great people
Cons: alot of traveling
This is an excellent company to work for. I decided that working in sales is not for me, but the pay was excellent, the management was awesome and you could work independently or assist in presentations.
Recruitment Events
Interviews (Former Employee), PRAugust 27, 2014
Today, I went to a recruitment event. I went because they sent me an email saying that they wanted to interview me. I wasted my whole morning! When it was my turn, the lady looked at my resume and said that I didn't have the required skills... she didn't even ask me any questions, then I asked why did I get the email and her best answer was: "We send the email to everyone.". Also, it was humiliating because the interview was in front of other people and they knew if you didn't pass the first interview, because it was obvious. This is definitely not ethic.
Very busy and productive workplace, taking mostly inbound calls.
Seasonal Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Geneva, ILAugust 12, 2014
Pros: always provide food for the employees, show the employees appreciation, good a pay great hours an vacation
Cons: only temporary, alot of info to learn
A typical day is logging into all of our systems first thing in the morning. We work with Esker, SAP, Salesforce,Outlook and systems with in the company data base. I take mostly inbound calls, but if I have to email a customer or call a customer back I do that as well. Very high call Volume alot to learn.
Enjoyed the customers
Inspector/Packer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 29, 2014
Pros: although i had to walk to work the first few weeks, it was nice since it was with in walking distance.
This job I worked in the retailing department. I felt as if I was running after kids constantly picking up clothes and hanging them up non-stop. But it was fun and I enjoyed working with the customers. I was also a cashier.
Customer Service
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 10, 2014
Pros: team work
Cons: n/a
Provide customer service support and information to external and internal customers including: Sales Force, corporate departments, and other business unit employees, that meets or exceeds expectations. Provide a positive customer experience that will promote future business through courteous, accurate, and prompt responses to inquiries. Daily responsibilities will include processing orders, providing status to orders, providing quotes, authors events and providing product information. Communicate order status or other items such as back-orders, substitutions, pricing, discounts and product compatibility issues to customers. May be responsible for processing customer return authorizations.
Per Diem Educational Consultant
Educational Consultant-Part (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 17, 2014
A lot of information to learn in a short period of time. This is a very fast paced environment.
good, friendly work environment
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee), Rolling Meadows, ILJune 13, 2014
Pros: wonderful work environment
Cons: not having offices in iowa
Work independently and have access to help if needed, The management is wonderful as is the workplace environment. The most difficult time was learning how to find and research products. The best part of the company is the flexibility and support given to employees.
Great company to work for.
Mail room coordinator (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 12, 2014
Pros: great 401k great retirement plans
Cons: health care choice
Great benefits
Good atmosphere
Good compensation
I learned administrative skills as well as IT help desk skills.
Good coworkers
The hardest part of the job (It wasn't really hard)
The most enjoyable part of the Job was the location
Failing organization with new leadership
SENIOR SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJune 6, 2014
Pros: products that benefit mankind
Cons: mangement
Industry in flux, and leadership that states directly "You have three options, Quit, Get Fired, or Provide a solution"
Great company as long as you were not in the AP field
PD Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHJune 5, 2014
Boss was very hard to get along with considering that she has been there for over 20 years, she expects other workers to know as much as her. And she has her pet(other worker) with her chatting all day.

1 2 3 4

About Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a global learning company with the mission of changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, – Read more

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Photos