Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Employee Reviews

Asistant
Professor's Assistant/ Usher (Former Employee), PRJuly 18, 2015
Pros: solid payment at end of the work
Cons: not giving the paycheck at time
a tipical day at this work would be helping the proffessor or teacher that im assign for . the help would be filling out paper , making sure his needs are taking care of and helping him with the semminiar he/she is giving at the moment
Good team of Teachers, Coaches and Specialists on Student Intervention
Student Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), Guaynabo, PRJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Sick days leave and vacations days leave accumulated
Cons: Not a permanent job, no healthcare beneficts
A typical day is a compromised one in which you have to be ready for whatever it comes up. Everyday is a new one that you need to be fully prepared and organized because something could sursprise you. I learned more about how to interect with students and give them coaching for math class. The company has a well management of the services they give. Its a team and we work together with no hassle to acomplish to goals established. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with students with bad attitudes, and bad behaviour and upon it that refuse to do their work in the classroom like no writing or not even with intention to open their backpacks and take out their notebooks. The most enjoyable part is to be able to change students bahavior,fostering them and see them success.
Enjoyable work atmosphere & colleagues, lacking in job security
Editing Intern (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 9, 2015
Due to financial difficulties, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt struggled to maintain a consistent workforce, having to layoff large numbers of their workforce, which understandably upset the moral of the remaining workforce.
Lack of business created a difficult work culture
Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Wilmington, MAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Able to pickup knowledge and do some cross training
Cons: Lack of business caused a bitter environment
When I first started, the job was great and the company flourished. Your day to day tasks were filled with System Administrator functions, from AD issues to hyper-v virtuals. However, as the company started to lose a lot of business, they started outsourcing all the groups till eventually the system admin group was outsourced. This 2 year process caused a lot of bitterness and struggles as more people jumped ship.
Dealing with 21st century educational challenges
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 13, 2015
Cons: Unstable institution in a changing educational market
While one of the top educational publishers, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is decidedly a 20th century printing house. Their attempts to enter the technology market are hobbled by an archaic print model and assumptions based on expensive print edition books. Marketing is driven by sales representatives, usually lapsed teachers who have been out of mainstream education for years, but strongly believe they have the answers for 21st century schooling (like anybody does...)

These are broad generalizations, but I strongly feel that HMH is hobbled by an outmoded pricing and print model, and it's difficult to steer a ship with 150+ captains.

Add to all that the need to please shareholders, and a defensive relationship between an overworked marketing department, quota-driven sales team, and editorial team that's spread a little thin, it's not healthy.
looking for a PT position
A/P Coordinator / Amex Program Admin (Current Employee), OrlandoMarch 25, 2015
I currently love my job. Always busy. Work directly with a lot of sales rep.
looking for a PT position. From 6pm-10 or 11pm.
Customer Account Executive (Former Employee), Batavia, ILMarch 9, 2015
This company has very strict mandatory overtime six months out of the year. You have to work 6:45amto 6:00pm with no exceptions not good for single parent.
1 Star because I can't give a zero
Supply Planner (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: absolutely none
Cons: everything
Horrible company. Horrible management. Communication is minimal from mid, upper and executive level management. And there are SO many levels of management. Horrible benefits, medical is insanely expensive and coverage is lacking, 401(k) match is a joke. Work environment is bitter and cut-throat. This company has been on the decline for over 5 years and has no way to get better.
Good and stable company
Lead DBA/Project Manager (Former Employee), Wilmington MAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: cool environment
Cons: not a lot of growth
Overall this company is good
Not a lot of growth but company is pretty much stable.
Books and the buggy whip
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee), Burlington, MANovember 25, 2014
Pros: un to suffer
This was truly a wonderful place to work. Myself, and the people I worked with had a great sense of pride in the work we did. Book publishing along with other sources of print media had began to suffer. We were all outsourced.
Two contract positions no offer of fulltime
Customer Service (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 19, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
Two contract positions no offer of fulltime...I have nothing more to add.
Nice place. Would like to work there perm.
SAP Reporting Specialist for Customer Master (Former Employee), Geneva, ILNovember 19, 2014
Pros: building comfort, non-cutthroat culture, cooperative and helpful
Cons: some services slow as in acquiring it support for necessary job tools.
Productive, positive, cooperative workplace. Great managers with realistic goals, plans, expectations.
Progressive and driven...
e-Marketing Project Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 2, 2014
I am a modern day Corporate firefighter where I put out fires on a daily bases. There many challenges that projects are faced and solutions must be quick, thorough and effective.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Program Coordinator and Program Manager (Former Employee), Rolling Meadows, ILOctober 29, 2014
Pros: summer hours; onsite gym and cafateria
Cons: continuous change in management
Managed the administration and execution of contractual obligations between Riverside Publishing and stakeholders. Lead cross-functional teams in budget and schedule creation, weekly program meetings, and advance planning for peak business seasons. Communicated with clients to provide quality control methods, coordinate future tasks, and scope of work changes due to federal regulations updates. Created program charters, standard operation procedures, contract modifications, risk/issue logs, contract close-out, and invoicing documentation for yearly debriefings. Proven to have an outstanding project outcome and exceptional client relationship.
Relaxed work enviroment where co-workers feel more like family.
Temporary Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 19, 2014
A typical day at work includes assisting academic professionals in ordering books and other necessary educational tools to ensure student success.
Stressful place to work
Senior Customization Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXOctober 17, 2014
Very little, if any, training is provided and the expectation is that every employee knows how to complete all projects with little or no detail. Questions are viewed as incompetence.
Extremely busy, the go-to-person for 250+ people, dependable, reliable
Executive Administrator (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 5, 2014
A typical work day:
20% executive assistant to President -- calendar management, travel, expenses

35% office manager -- 250+ employees -- facility management, office/stationary management, event submissions

45% event coordinator -- project manage events on premise, outside venues (Boston/Puerto Rico/New York) -- from start to finish, hotel nights, conference rooms, food, cocktail parties, technology, design of materials
I work there now
Supervisor/shipping associate (Former Employee), indianapolis IndianaSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: benefits, pay everything a plus
great job came to work was very family oriented management excellent coworkers great
This is an excellent company to work for.
Sales Support Representative (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: great salary, great people
Cons: alot of traveling
This is an excellent company to work for. I decided that working in sales is not for me, but the pay was excellent, the management was awesome and you could work independently or assist in presentations.
Recruitment Events
Interviews (Former Employee), PRAugust 27, 2014
Today, I went to a recruitment event. I went because they sent me an email saying that they wanted to interview me. I wasted my whole morning! When it was my turn, the lady looked at my resume and said that I didn't have the required skills... she didn't even ask me any questions, then I asked why did I get the email and her best answer was: "We send the email to everyone.". Also, it was humiliating because the interview was in front of other people and they knew if you didn't pass the first interview, because it was obvious. This is definitely not ethic.
Headquarters