Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Employee Reviews

An Incredible History, an incredible Company, going through more challenges
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 22, 2017
Gone through some challenges, from being independent, to being part of a conglomerate to being owned by investment bankers, through reverse takeover, bankruptcy, an IPO and now facing challenges common to the industry. The new CEO looks very impressive and has extensive industry and turnaround chops, so work at this company promising. Challenges include an industry that faces a customer base that wants content for free, large development costs, slow payback period and potential slowdown in government funding, coupled with a vision for Digital product that may not match customer base current needs. Hardest part of the job is a culture that still focuses on heroic efforts rather than adequate staffing. Great peer group to work with. The company has made some positive moves in the last five years to move from a stodgy Boston publisher to one that has the ability to be a global presence in the education market.
Pros
Great People, Great Company, Period of Reinvention
Cons
Management staff in flux, period of growth
Environment
financial consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
This was a wonderful opportunity to experience a global corporate environment where there were many areas of to learn and grow. I obtained skills over the years that i was able to apply to my description and that i will be able to apply elsewhere.
Great products, flexible schedule, good people
Regional Curriculum Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJune 19, 2017
The product I support is excellent but the management is sub-par; it feels like there is not direction and no job security. I'm always wondering if there will be work and if anyone actually knows the truth about the state of the contracts. I would love to continue working here because the work is important but so is job security.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
I support a reading product that gets paid less than half of the equivalent math product, it's unfair.
Challenging
not disclosed (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 15, 2017
While, managers routinely offer flexibility with regard to schedule and work/life balance, the company does not provide any level of transparency regarding strategic decision making.
Troubled giant
Director of Product Management (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 2, 2017
The company has a lot of great talent and they are one of the giants in the industry. But ever since 2008, they have had one reorganization after another, with layoffs and agitation becoming part of life. There were a half dozen CEOs in that time, including interims, and VPs, SVPs, and EVPs were regularly flushed. There is a culture of political exhaustion, frankly. During these reorganizations, teams became almost completely scattered among various sites, so that face-to-face meetings have declined and virtual conferencing has been the norm, erasing most of the personal working relationships that at one time was one of this company's strengths.
Consistently Changing
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 1, 2017
HMH has had a lot of cultural changes over the last decade. It often feels like the leadership team "reinvents the wheel" every couple of years. Teams are reorganized and reshuffled, only to go through a similiar transformation when the new leadership team comes in to take over a few years later. I have always been lucky to work with a great team. But communication across the organization is horrendous, and the different departments do not communicate with one another. I still get contacts from people indicating they didn't know our department and team existed. There is very little room for job growth and career development, unless you are part of the chosen few who seem to get promoted or offered new roles within the company, even though they are not qualified for these new positions. Work is often unpredictable and management is always seeming to latch onto the next big thing, instead of leading the industry.
Pros
Lots of remote work options, solid salary and benefit packages
Cons
Poor communication, lack of vision, too much upheavel and turnover.
Great Co-Workers
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  HomebasedJune 1, 2017
My team was great to work with. While at HMH, my team went through about four restructures, so things were always changing. Bit our team continued to do our work and work hard together.
Pros
Fun team to work with.
Cons
Job security was not there.
Relaxing fun soc6
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILMay 30, 2017
You Just have to pay attention to everything to try to catch a mistake fast as possible other than that it's a good place to work friendly it's not a big warehouse and everyone take part in different of the place
Overall it's is a beautiful company to work for.
Good Place to Work
Collection Analyst (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILMay 30, 2017
I liked working for Houghton Mifflin. I was good at what I did and I enjoyed working for the firm. I only left when my entire department's jobs were eliminated and transferred to a different state.
Pros
Discounts on purchasing books.
Cons
Pressure to collect from schools
High paced
Senior Design Manager (Former Employee) –  NYMay 15, 2017
Work a ton of hours overtime and management doesn't seem to care - we are all in cover thy butt rules as we are all scared of getting fired any day- everyday
Pros
employees
Cons
management and compensation
Generally average, but with points of high stress.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 11, 2017
Day to day is typical office work, but any individual's workload has the potential to spike dramatically as deadlines approach. Upper management seems to lack direction, leading to a stop-and-go sort of workflow that flips between having very little to do and having a dozen things that need to be done yesterday.
Productive and great team work
QA Automation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 11, 2017
It was great working at HMH. Managers encourage to work in a team rather work as an individual. Also, management appreciates learning new things and implement it at HMH.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAMay 8, 2017
Houghton Mifflin Company is a good place to work. They have a collaborative environment. The publishing industry is suffering because of the used book market and technology.
Good Company
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 4, 2017
I really like the company. Great work/life balance. The company is going through some restructuring to enhance efficiencies, so hopefully that will allow for even more growth in the future.
Administrative Assitant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ponce, PRMay 3, 2017
I am an administrative assistant to the school principal. Preparing reports for the district and educational region, answering phone calls, processing e-mail, processing credit transcripts, attending to the public, writing official communications, among others.
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
many responsabilities for less salary
Enjoyable experience
BUDGET LEAD (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 30, 2017
Enjoyable experience collaborating with colleagues and immediate managers and group leaders in an effort to provide outstanding and high quality products.
Ever changing Job
Regional Educational Consultant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 29, 2017
My day consists of meeting with Principals, teacher or in-school coaches and coaching them on best practice in Foundational Literacy. I do this through modeling, teaching, coaching and planning with the person/s involved. I also travel and do trainings for the company on their specific software programs.
Too top heavy. Senior management has not made the correct decisions to improve the company. I.E. Bad acquisitions and systematic tools.
Inventory Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 27, 2017
The culture at houghton can sometimes be a toxic environment. Some direct senior management do not understand what their employees do to run the business or in some instances do not care. Seems like the management do not have the employees backs.
Pros
Good comradery amounts employees
Cons
Leadership is lacking
Company On Verge of Great Potential
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILApril 16, 2017
New CEO can make a good company great by connecting departments, simplifying customer experience and energizing culture. Many good people leave due to unaddressed short-comings that competitors know all too well.
Great place to work with plenty of room for advancement
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 30, 2017
Provides plenty of room for advancement and opportunity to make money via the Sales positions. Must be a self-starter as the position requires a minimum of 25 outgoing calls a day to prospect and close business.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8