Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Employee Reviews in United States

Good experience
Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRJuly 17, 2016
It was a great experience work with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Co. It was a respectful environment with great possibilities to grow in the company.
Textbook Company
Sales Support/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 9, 2016
It was a great company when worked there. Fun people. Great coworkers. More than usual holidays because they were following school calender
Really nice people!
Asset Manaher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2016
Great place to work. Great company. Very comfortable place to work and the people are wonderful. I learn a lot. This was my first job working on a software project and my coworkers were very patient and supportive.
Good Company
Data & Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 22, 2016
The company is a good company to work for and would love to stay if I could find a position in another department. My manager was not the easiest person to work for due to special treatment to certain people in her group.
Pros
Vacation, time off
Cons
managers style
Very poor management @HMH Indy East
Loose book picking/ Q.A. (Current Employee) –  Indpls, In.June 2, 2016
Don't complain on team leaders or management. Don't state any options. Keep comments to yourself. Employees have no say so, comments, opinions & suggestions are not a option. Management protect team leaders no matter what the situation.
Pros
Catered lunch, benefits hours.
Cons
Productivity and fun homebase work place
Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRMay 30, 2016
I loved to work at HMH, a typical day at work would be giving trainning to people about the SDLS. My co-workers were high qualify with excellent team work skills.
It was really fun
Clinical Social worker for RAD 8 (Former Employee) –  Vieques, PRMay 28, 2016
I knew it was temporary and I did a great job but they cost budget and there I went. Really sad abou it had a lots of good ideas for the students in Vieques.
WFH is great
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 4, 2016
they offer lots of remote positions which is a huge plus as well as lots of holidays off. Co-workers were always good but management was not ideal
Was Hoping for More
Account Executive/Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2016
The culture has changed immensely. Cut throat, corporate, hostile. Co-workers were great, but management is inconsistent and unorganized. This should be a company focused on the education of students
Pros
base salary
Cons
too many mergers
Very corporate with revolving door leadership
Editor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 6, 2016
A good place for those not seeking a "team" or "family" environment. Compensation is above average. Many positions are remote (work from home). Generous paid time off.
Not a lot of transparency or trust, constant leadership changes, has a very "corporate" feel, little job security.
Pros
PTO, Work Remotely, Compensation
Cons
Little Job Security, Mismanaged, Leadership, Corporate
Lack of Transparency
Senior Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2016
I am sad to be looking for a new job with a new company, but HMH is disappointing. All of the people I work with directly are wonderful, and until now I have felt very well-supported in all of my needs. However, as part of the transition from Scholastic to HMH, many employees have end dates. And employees with end dates throughout the company are treated as second class citizens who do not enjoy the benefits of regular full-time employees. I understand this as a company policy for regular project employees, but Scholastic might have a "Project employee" with them for ten years.
HMH promised they would not follow this practice, but as a project employee I have not had an opportunity for a review, a raise, or a promotion in over a year and a half. When regular employees were reviewed in January, I was not. We are now being told when our contract is up, we will be extended, and maybe this summer we can become regular employees. At which point, we still can't negotiate or have a normal review- so I won't be eligible for any additional compensation until January. So, despite my changing role and additional responsibilities over the course of two years, I am not eligible for any additional compensation or benefits until I'm near the three year mark.
I would like to reiterate, most of what HMH does is very supportive. They allow people to work remotely to create a work life balance, and they don't ask people to stay late- it's just a cultural expectation from the highly motivated and competent people that they hire. Everyone is stellar and my direct management is incredibly thorough,
  more... and quick to answer questions or solve problems. It has been a great learning experience. I just can't afford to keep living at the same wage as expenses rise.  less
Pros
Supportive management, friendly environment, lots of celebrations
Cons
Long hours during deadlines, most people work through lunch, failure to compensate for additional responsibilities
Large corporation that values education technology
Service Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
In my current role with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, I manage a team of four logistics coordinators who support consultants throughout the United States. As part of an operations team, I consult with Human Resources, editorial, marketing, and finance departments on a daily basis. Since the majority of the field is located outside of the New York headquarters, I often balance overseeing the duties of the other logistics coordinators with supporting the division directors who work remotely. Additionally, my role has granted me opportunities to organize events throughout the country. My responsibilities include coordinating product shipments, setting up presentation rooms, and providing support for the directors on site.
Great to work here.
Trade Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 1, 2016
This is a good company to work for. My typical day consists of processing new wholesale book orders for customers & also processing credits on books returned.
Pros
great hours and work days
Cons
no great training on how to do your job.
Learned a lot.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJanuary 20, 2016
HMCO is not the company i worked for over 10 years a go now. when i worked there, the customer order entry system was customized for the CSRS, they switched to SAP which was inventory focused, not customer relations.
Pros
while i was there it was great
Cons
the have piled more work w/ less people
Diverse Season Experience
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 11, 2016
Provided "Premium" support for a mostly outsourced job for popular Scholastic School Book and Educational Tools.
provided support for old software and new software( legacy and cutting edge mixed together)
support for windows, mac, android and other os's too.
This was a Fun Seasonal Experiment that i was glad to be part of. Management Flew out from India to personally oversee this small group project. great pay, many recreational rewards after work too.
was a fun and great experience
Family oriented and great place to work
production manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 11, 2016
I've been with Harcourt (previous Company name) since 2004. I have the opportunity to joined the Harcourt team as permanent employee back then. It's been a wonderful experience.
Pros
Sometimes we get to leave early during Holiday season
Cons
Since I am now with a Temp agency, no medical insurance and or vacation.
Great place to work if you're into Education and Technology
Professional field service engineer (Former Employee) –  Telecomute, work from home officeDecember 26, 2015
Overall a pleasure to work with and enjoyed my time there.
The other engineers were always helpful and supportive, an real team culture. The immediate management was great, however, the higher up you go up the ladder, the less appreciation for what you contribute in my opinion. Like most places, you're just a number on a spreadsheet...
Productive and Friendly environment
Database Management (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 22, 2015
I really enjoy working here. I am on the Technical side as a Database Administrator and Customer Service Representative. I work with customers for the school districts all over the world. I place there students into our database using HRW and Thinkcentral and several other platforms. We also use Salesforce to communicate with our clients. The atmosphere here is extremely friendly and definitely giving. This job has been one of my most enjoyable.
Pros
I have been trained on several different platforms
Good work-life balance but some flaws
project manager (Current Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILOctober 12, 2015
The work-life balance is really good for most people but if you are a "yes" person and always want to help, other employees will take advantage of you. Also, many colleagues are very resistant to changes and improvements.
Pros
work-life balance, decent pay (in some divisions), flexibility to work from home
Cons
keep too many employees as contractors, burn out good employees
Constant workflow xcept in offseason
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellmawr, NJOctober 10, 2015
Constant workflow, except in the off-season when hours were drastically reduced and people were sent home early. Good warehouse work environment, warehouse was set up to be easily navigated. Co-workers were friendly but tired from constant quotas. faceless management
Pros
constant workflow
Cons
hot warehouse, no air flow

2.9