HOUSE OF RUTH Employee Reviews

The management in the shelter department is not a pleasant environment
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  MarylandNovember 29, 2017
The administration building is wonderful and very team orientated. The shelter is not so much pleasant. It's depressing and hostile between staff and residents.
Pros
House of Ruth has done great works for years for homeless victims
Cons
Some of the employees are nasty and rude.
Crisis Advocate (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALNovember 28, 2017
A great place to work. You learn a lot about the different families that I see, I love helping people that is in need. Once you leave I hope that the skills and knowledge that was obtain will be with you forever.
Learned a lot.
Residential Advocate (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CASeptember 17, 2017
I learned a lot about working with disadvantaged people, both homeless and victims of domestic violence. I worked with women from various backgrounds. The job can be stressful as you are providing services to women and children who have suffered both mental & physical abused at the hands of an intimate partner/father/husband/boyfriend.
helping women to regain life skills
Life Skill Facililtor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 23, 2017
A housing facility for homeless women, which had a challenging atmosphere do to the women having many issue and medical problems however the skilled and trained staff was a great help to the women and provided many task to help them get through these obstacles.
Pros
provided shelther
Cons
different shifts
Management was terrible
Expressive Therapist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 17, 2017
Upper management was unorganized, was unable to communicate specific needs of clients and unwilling to listen to staff suggestions for improving the program.
Exciting place to work
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 24, 2017
This particular job required that I interacted with the clients daily throughout the day. Monitoring them, career pathing them, providing the assistance needed to get them and their families back together and on their feet.

Seek employment and educational programs to help the progress. Administered case studies to review if their was any change positive or negative in the clients behavior.

Held workshops, support groups, and job reediness interviews.
Pros
The culture, so many different clients to learn from and work with.
Cons
To many chiefs and not enough indians!
Work that makes a difference
Glade House Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 19, 2017
working with a difficult population. requires daily self care and reflection. can be rewarding. learned a lot of skills that have served me well in later careers.
productive
Domestic Violence Shelter for woman & children (Former Employee) –  Howard County, MDApril 19, 2017
extremely helpful to families. communication is the main key in this environment. and each family has their own story. I learn more and more each day.
Warm and friendly environment
Advocate, Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAFebruary 14, 2017
House of Ruth offers a variety of volunteer tasks that include assisting the hotline, shelters, daycare and so much more. Participating in the health fairs are a great way to educate the community on healthy relationships.
Very professional and well ran organization
Internship/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALFebruary 6, 2017
Well I was interning at the House of Ruth I learned so much about domestic violence, and the reaction of the individual women. I learned most importantly that each woman that comes to the House of Ruth is different and fighting their own battles even if they are going through the same situation as the next battered woman. House of Ruth taught me to see pass what you read in the books and to really look at each person as a individual and not just another case. Being at the House of Ruth was always interesting. Either we had crisis calls or we were doing weekly evaluations to see where the ladies were at as far as their goals and how they were trying to better themselves to get back out into the world without being afraid.
Was not a good job for a woman alone.
Night Shelter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2017
I assigned clients beds, gave them linen and read them the rules and regulation which they ignored most of the time.I was responsible for monitoring the trailers in the rear of the building.
Pros
When the security guard did come to monitor.
Cons
I delighted when it was time to go home.
Great Place to Work
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 15, 2016
I enjoy the work with the clients. The environment is collaborative and their are many training opportunities to grow.
its a family environment that is committed in what they do.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 25, 2016
they were very caring to there residents.They met the residents needs to the best of there ability and really provide great resources to the residents who reside there.
RESIDENT ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 19, 2016
A typical day is relaxing and fun. You interact with people of all different backgrounds. I love management and I have learned a lot of culture.
Interesting
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ruth, WADecember 22, 2015
Monitored the building, did bed checks to make sure that residents were actually in the facility. Counted medication, assisted residents when they were unable to sleep, due to many different reason. Provide crisis intervention, answered the doors, wrote reports, and xeroxed all proper documents needed.
awesome place to work
Resident Advocate/ Bilingual Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 22, 2015
MOm and pop agency. The owner is amazing and understanding. She put the residents first. Great location, beautiful properties.
Easy Job Not a Career
Change Agent (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2015
Job security great
Management= inconsistent and manipulative
Upper Management= out of touch with lower staff
Salary= average
Benefits= great
Staff= ghetto and unprofessional
Clients= underprivileged
Pros
easy work
Cons
under qualified staff
House of Ruth
Life Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2015
I counsel women and children, who have encountered domestic violence. I enjoy assisting clients in accomplishing their goals, but it is difficult deal with clients who are trying to cope with trauma. The agency is good, but there is no advancement into more fulfilling positions. My coworkers are very knowledgeable about the human service field, which allows for an easy environment to learn.
Pros
The experience and the benefits
Cons
The hours and the lack of advancement
Good Job
Life Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2015
Nice place to work you can gain much experience. They provide training and assist with you being able to CEU's in needed.
great
homeless Shelter Monitor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2014
good place to work and a very effective place to study and learn about various things in life and around the world
Pros
various people to meet
Cons
lots of limitations