HOUSE OF RUTH Employee Reviews

Work that makes a difference
Glade House Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 19, 2017
working with a difficult population. requires daily self care and reflection. can be rewarding. learned a lot of skills that have served me well in later careers.
Warm and friendly environment
Advocate, Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAFebruary 14, 2017
House of Ruth offers a variety of volunteer tasks that include assisting the hotline, shelters, daycare and so much more. Participating in the health fairs are a great way to educate the community on healthy relationships.
Very professional and well ran organization
Internship/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALFebruary 6, 2017
Well I was interning at the House of Ruth I learned so much about domestic violence, and the reaction of the individual women. I learned most importantly that each woman that comes to the House of Ruth is different and fighting their own battles even if they are going through the same situation as the next battered woman. House of Ruth taught me to see pass what you read in the books and to really look at each person as a individual and not just another case. Being at the House of Ruth was always interesting. Either we had crisis calls or we were doing weekly evaluations to see where the ladies were at as far as their goals and how they were trying to better themselves to get back out into the world without being afraid.
Was not a good job for a woman alone.
Night Shelter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2017
I assigned clients beds, gave them linen and read them the rules and regulation which they ignored most of the time.I was responsible for monitoring the trailers in the rear of the building.
Pros
When the security guard did come to monitor.
Cons
I delighted when it was time to go home.
Great Place to Work
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 15, 2016
I enjoy the work with the clients. The environment is collaborative and their are many training opportunities to grow.
its a family environment that is committed in what they do.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 25, 2016
they were very caring to there residents.They met the residents needs to the best of there ability and really provide great resources to the residents who reside there.
RESIDENT ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 19, 2016
A typical day is relaxing and fun. You interact with people of all different backgrounds. I love management and I have learned a lot of culture.
Interesting
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ruth, WADecember 22, 2015
Monitored the building, did bed checks to make sure that residents were actually in the facility. Counted medication, assisted residents when they were unable to sleep, due to many different reason. Provide crisis intervention, answered the doors, wrote reports, and xeroxed all proper documents needed.
awesome place to work
Resident Advocate/ Bilingual Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 22, 2015
MOm and pop agency. The owner is amazing and understanding. She put the residents first. Great location, beautiful properties.
Easy Job Not a Career
Change Agent (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2015
Job security great
Management= inconsistent and manipulative
Upper Management= out of touch with lower staff
Salary= average
Benefits= great
Staff= ghetto and unprofessional
Clients= underprivileged
Pros
easy work
Cons
under qualified staff
House of Ruth
Life Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2015
I counsel women and children, who have encountered domestic violence. I enjoy assisting clients in accomplishing their goals, but it is difficult deal with clients who are trying to cope with trauma. The agency is good, but there is no advancement into more fulfilling positions. My coworkers are very knowledgeable about the human service field, which allows for an easy environment to learn.
Pros
The experience and the benefits
Cons
The hours and the lack of advancement
great
homeless Shelter Monitor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2014
good place to work and a very effective place to study and learn about various things in life and around the world
Pros
various people to meet
Cons
lots of limitations
Very rewarding job
Intake Coordinator/Data Clerk/Assistant to ED (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 26, 2014
Families would come to us so broken that they could not even see an up, but when they left our doors they were hopeful and encouraged. Though we could not assist every one that came through our doors, we were at least able to redirect them to potential help.
Pros
I got to make a difference in someones life
Cons
Job security was not a guarantee
Good working place with great programs for childrens
Housing Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 30, 2014
A typical day was making home visit to clients home to ensure clients were keeping up with housing, medical appts, social services appointments and following rules and regulations of programs. I learned the importance of meeting where they are can open can individuals a sense of security and allow them to be more open. There were many changes within the organization however management was committed to the people the agency served. My co-worker were awesome, and I really enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of the job was the traveling, however the most enjoyable part of the job was helping people of diverse background.
Pros
helping people find housing
Cons
traveling
Okay place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DcJune 24, 2014
This job was okay. It just depends on your co workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with the kids.
Productive workplace
Intake Entry Database Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 11, 2014
I learned so much about the homeless management information system and I'm glad that I learned it. I'm looking to further my skill in working with database and the community.
Pros
Decent lunchbreak
Cons
No healthcare
A positive work environment although it has its stressful moments.
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 3, 2014
Most days at work are quiet depending upon what shift you worked. Through various training I've learned different aspects of the mental health field. Management was fine as well as co-workers. Hardest part of the job was dealing with all the personalities and illnesses of the residents. The most enjoyable part of the job was the end result knowing that you have helped an individual become a productive citizen again.
Pros
Money and yearly raises
Cons
No guaranteed breaks.
Excellent for College/Grad Students
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2014
As a life skills trainer the job consists of administrative paperwork, watching the front door, and providing supportive listening and encouragement to families within the program. House Of Ruth develops a passion for Women and Children who have suffered from Domestic Violence and are in the early stages of rebuilding their lives.

One of the best aspects of working here has been facilitating groups with both parents and children individually. During the groups its amazing to see the peer-to-peer mentorship and encouragement that comes from survivors who embrace the tears of others.
Productive , exciting , challenging place to work
Resident Advocate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 4, 2013
1) Atypical day at work
working with women in a domestic situation. I provide needed services .
2) I have learn news ways to help people when needed .
Pros
free lunches, free parking and working with people
Cons
no health care
Volunteer
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 22, 2013
I was a volunteer and I loved every minute of it. I met so many amazing women and learned so many great things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HOUSE OF RUTH. Our community is ready to answer.