HOUSE OF RUTH Employee Reviews in United States

awesome place to work
Resident Advocate/ Bilingual Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 22, 2015
MOm and pop agency. The owner is amazing and understanding. She put the residents first. Great location, beautiful properties.
Easy Job Not a Career
Change Agent (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2015
Job security great
Management= inconsistent and manipulative
Upper Management= out of touch with lower staff
Salary= average
Benefits= great
Staff= ghetto and unprofessional
Clients= underprivileged
Pros
easy work
Cons
under qualified staff
House of Ruth
Life Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2015
I counsel women and children, who have encountered domestic violence. I enjoy assisting clients in accomplishing their goals, but it is difficult deal with clients who are trying to cope with trauma. The agency is good, but there is no advancement into more fulfilling positions. My coworkers are very knowledgeable about the human service field, which allows for an easy environment to learn.
Pros
the experience and the benefits
Cons
the hours and the lack of advancement
great
homeless Shelter Monitor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2014
good place to work and a very effective place to study and learn about various things in life and around the world
Pros
various people to meet
Cons
lots of limitations
Very rewarding job
Intake Coordinator/Data Clerk/Assistant to ED (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 26, 2014
Families would come to us so broken that they could not even see an up, but when they left our doors they were hopeful and encouraged. Though we could not assist every one that came through our doors, we were at least able to redirect them to potential help.
Pros
i got to make a difference in someones life
Cons
job security was not a guarantee
Good working place with great programs for childrens
Housing Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 30, 2014
A typical day was making home visit to clients home to ensure clients were keeping up with housing, medical appts, social services appointments and following rules and regulations of programs. I learned the importance of meeting where they are can open can individuals a sense of security and allow them to be more open. There were many changes within the organization however management was committed to the people the agency served. My co-worker were awesome, and I really enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of the job was the traveling, however the most enjoyable part of the job was helping people of diverse background.
Pros
helping people find housing
Cons
traveling
Okay place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DcJune 24, 2014
This job was okay. It just depends on your co workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with the kids.
Productive workplace
Intake Entry Database Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 11, 2014
I learned so much about the homeless management information system and I'm glad that I learned it. I'm looking to further my skill in working with database and the community.
Pros
decent lunchbreak
Cons
no healthcare
A positive work environment although it has its stressful moments.
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 3, 2014
Most days at work are quiet depending upon what shift you worked. Through various training I've learned different aspects of the mental health field. Management was fine as well as co-workers. Hardest part of the job was dealing with all the personalities and illnesses of the residents. The most enjoyable part of the job was the end result knowing that you have helped an individual become a productive citizen again.
Pros
money and yearly raises
Cons
no guaranteed breaks.
Excellent for College/Grad Students
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2014
As a life skills trainer the job consists of administrative paperwork, watching the front door, and providing supportive listening and encouragement to families within the program. House Of Ruth develops a passion for Women and Children who have suffered from Domestic Violence and are in the early stages of rebuilding their lives.

One of the best aspects of working here has been facilitating groups with both parents and children individually. During the groups its amazing to see the peer-to-peer mentorship and encouragement that comes from survivors who embrace the tears of others.
Productive , exciting , challenging place to work
Resident Advocate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 4, 2013
1) Atypical day at work
working with women in a domestic situation. I provide needed services .
2) I have learn news ways to help people when needed .
Pros
free lunches, free parking and working with people
Cons
no health care
Volunteer
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 22, 2013
I was a volunteer and I loved every minute of it. I met so many amazing women and learned so many great things.
Relaxed/ Informative
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ruth, WANovember 14, 2013
Taught people daily living skills
Helped locate employment and housing opportunities
Assisted with resume building
Provided management crisis
Nice place to work while in schoool
Life Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 22, 2013
I enjoy working with my co-workers, I have also learned a lot about domestic violence and substance abuse.
I spent my time at the court
T.R.O Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CAApril 16, 2013
The management was dedicated and therefor would do anything for you to help you get your job completed. Having said that, the chain of communication was clear and solid and reports were filed in a timely manner.

The entire staff worked for a common goal and there was no end in sight of the people who needed assistance so it kept the company's eye on the prize where you might be employed by a company that does many things, the part I worked with had one job and one job only so we never strayed. That cannot be said for most employment situations.
Pros
a belief we were doing the right thing
Cons
that there was never an end to the victims
Great place to work.
Operational Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Wahington, DCFebruary 8, 2013
Enjoyed working with this company! I was very helpful in preparing me to work with all kind of people. This job taught me to be organized. etc
LOVED this place!
Violence Against Women Educator (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALJanuary 29, 2013
I enjoyed my time at The House of Ruth, Inc. It provided me with the flexibility I enjoyed and opportunities to interact with people from all walks of life in order to educate them on domestic violence and sexual assault (and how The House of Ruth helped these individuals in our community).
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  louisvilleDecember 19, 2012
Care for individuals that are HIV positive, substance abusers, and chronically homeless.
is a place where hope and opportunity go hand in hand
Volunteer-Helping Victims of Domestic Violence (Current Employee) –  Claremont, CASeptember 6, 2012
It depends on where I work, some times with the children's program, another with the moms and other at the oficce. After breakfast the moms bring their children to us while they are going to their classes or have an appointment with their therapist or case management . Always with the children with start with an activity that helps them to identify their emotions and how to express their-self, or in the actvity we can talk about a specific topics as fear: What made you feel fear? What do you do if you are afraid?, we ensure that all children participate, after that the children have free time to play or we bring they to special activities as a Boleyball's clinic, etc. Everyday that I'm there I can see the ability of human to beings trasform for their good of themsefl. The programa organizers do an excellent work. The employees who I helped are people with passionate about what they do. The hardest thing is to see when a new family after spending a day or two decide not to stay and return with the abuser. Which brings me more happiness is to see family to finish all the process with hope, dreams, courage and vision and going out into the world knowing who they are and knowing how much they are worth and deserve the best in life.
Pros
free training
Cons
i can not think in nothing at this moment
Friendly environment
Office assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 23, 2012
Helping women at the shelter Serving food,doing office work, helping with donations.
Pros
nice workers
Cons
volunterr