Housing Authority of Baltimore City Employee Reviews

Great people to work with
Engineering Associate II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 29, 2017
A busy and hectic daily requirement in reviewing customer Building Permit Applications. On a slow day, I would see, maybe 30 applications. On a busy day, upwards of 75. Great place to work, but lacked future promotional opportunities.
This position caused me to be isolated most of the time.
Counselor III (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2017
A typical day at work involved doing home visits to inspect housekeeping skills. To do referrals for home healthcare, substance abuse treatment, child abuse and many other concerns. I dealt with any family concerns and issues either in the office or in the home as needed.
Poductive and fun place towork
Employment Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 2, 2017
Great Place to work. Co workers and supervisors are the best. Everyone is passionate about servicing our clients. I get the golden opportunity to work in the community and provide of clients with a life changing experience.
Professional growth & competitive pay
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 31, 2017
A role that offers me a competitive and challenging environment where I can serve the organization and establish an enjoyable career for myself at better pay ..
Pros
Secured government job with Health Benefits
Cons
Better Pay
Love the work, hate the toxic environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 17, 2017
I love the work and benefits but each administration change bought more chaos and back biting. Change is never easy but when there are deceptive practices it instills low morale and a culture of mistrust.
Benefits
Cons
Terrible bosses
Habc
Postal Clerk II/ Full-time (Former Employee) –  Baltimore City, MDSeptember 20, 2017
The work was easy, I really miss HABC. I didn't want to leave but my immediate supervisor was the worst and the pay didn't help. I loved my job and enjoyed working it.
Pros
loved my job
Cons
my immediate supervisor, and the pay
Proivde needed service to resident of Baltimore
Deputy Chief of Operations (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 18, 2017
The people here are great. working with the resident of Baltimore has been a great experience. the staff is open to new ideas and have work to achieve goal even the agency has been under funded
Pros
fullfilling
Cons
Not a great place to work
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  HVCPJune 14, 2017
I worked here at two different divisions both had lazy management. High school work culture mentality. Your risking your life in Public Housing and HVCP is stressful with huge case loads and not enough pay.
Pros
You learn all you need to know about affordable housing
Cons
Work environment and the management
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2017
Busy and full of opportunities to collaborate. Opportunities to work with marginalized communities needing support from local businesses and community leaders.
Housing was a good place to work.
Supervisor of Operations (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2017
Housing offered a lot of programs that were needed for workers that didn't have skills to preform the jobs that were needed. A lot of employees were criminals that came from the penial institution and weren't disciplined to supervisors and there were supervisors that were commiting crimes and were supervisors that couldn't supervise. There were the criminals! .
Pros
Classes were offered for crew members that wanted to advance.
Cons
A lot of faults were negleted
Ok
Chief (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 18, 2017
Good place to work it has its good and bad days. For the most part it is a good company to work for. It is high stress as with anything but the work is rewarding.
Productive and fun work place
Expediter (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2017
It's a very social, and fun place to work...I've learned to have patients with others, management's not bad...It's a very diverse enviroment, I would say not being flexible is the hardest part of the job. But, I enjoyed the team work and the 100% effort that my department share.
Pros
Having a social but, professional environment
Cons
There's a lack of communication sometimes
Risk Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 16, 2017
HABC is a great place to work. They have pretty good benefits. Each department is unique. The work they do for the urban developments in Baltimore is great.
Work in rental office of housing projects
Cashier Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 4, 2017
Not a stressful job. Work with tenants in low income situations.
Very standard 9-5 job. Ability to promote is minimal. Can be reassigned with little notice.
Pros
Standard office routine
Cons
Benefits and compensation
Office of Resident Services is amazing
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 22, 2016
The office of resident services is great. The department does a lot of good for the residents of Baltimore. The employees work together to make things happen. Though special projects while important often distract you from doing your own job and maintaining your case load.
Pros
Pay Rate
Cons
Administration
The workplace was very fun and challenging at times
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 18, 2016
My typical day is always working with customer answering them their questions and assisting with their needs. I've learned to be most patient. Co-workers were an absolute joy to work with. Hardest part of my day was if I couldn't assist a customer with their problem and an inquire has to be sent to another department.
Not satisfied with advancement opportunities within the agency.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Housing Authority of Baltimore CityMarch 11, 2016
Overall I am not satisfied with this agency, and I consider it a job and not a career. This company has good health benefits; however, there is no room for advancement.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Healthcare
Goal is to help those in need of low-income housing, and we are 4th largest housing authority
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day of work is full of unexpected calls and visitors looking for housing, as well as businesses looking for a part of our contracts. I've learned that periodically housing programs are advertised other than the normal Public Housing and Section 8 programs we have. Management does include employees in at times on some of the things they deal with directly for our awareness, which I believe is important. My co-workers work as a team because we know that any work that goes out of our department reflects on us all individually. The hardest part of my job is being micromanaged when given an assignment. I work best when I am left to complete a task with minimal supervision. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I hear people on the other end of the telephone line tell me that I have been a help to them when after calling around they had not received any help.
Very productive and fast pace division - Fiscal Operations F&A Section
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 30, 2015
Typical day at work is very busy...which I like! New challenges to learn daily another plus!! Co-workers are team players! The hardest part of my job is not being compensated nor recognition for a job well done! The most enjoyable part is knowing that I give %100 percent on a daily bases and as I leave work I feel great for serving and enjoying another day with my F&A Staff!! :)
Pros
I have a job I really enjoy along w/a great staff!
Cons
High Healthcare cost - No raise or cost of living for 2 years now
Exciting, fast pace job that is very awarding due to one's ability to improve families quality of life.
Acting Housing/Assistant Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandAugust 27, 2015
- Managing property and serving the needs of residents which includes housing inventory urb appeal maintenance,staff team work, training, policies, customer services essential tools.Counseling families due to death, violence, etc. Helping to change lives is exciting and rewarding.
Pros
Great Benefits, Ongoing Training, & Education, Networking, growth, rewards, education, Trade and Life skills you learn from others you encounter
Cons
Heavy work, Long hours, understaffing, and some safety concerns on family public housing development sites.