Housing Opportunities Commission

Housing Opportunities Commission United States Employee Reviews

Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee), Kensington, MDMarch 13, 2015
Pros: summer picnic
It's a great place to work in Montgomery County. There's good internal good leadership program. It's quite a busy place.
This Used to be a Great Place and Mostly Still is
Administrative (Former Employee), Kensington, MDAugust 27, 2014
Pros: helping people; co-workers; laid back atmosphere; tuition reimbursement
Cons: new management; lack of mobility/advancement; low pay
This is the Housing Authority for Montgomery County, but the housing that is available is quite a bit more extensive than your typical housing agency, probably because of the large population and size of Montgomery County.

Co-workers are generally great. There are many lazy people here, but I have to give credit to the new Executive Director for weeding many of the out.

Management is not so great, it's touch and go. Some managers are bullies and have publically chastised people or fired them because they speak out about their disagreement. Management has also hired many of their "friends" or previous professional acquaintances who are not qualified for the job that they have, therefore making life hard for those that they manage. This behavior is allowed to continue even when reported and goes right up to the top.

Many of the changes that have taken place were half planned to the detriment of the employees AND residents. PLEASE invest in some Project Management software and quality employees and plan properly in the future!!
Assisting people with affordable housing!
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), MarylandMay 28, 2014
Great place to work, able to assist clients with training and employment needs!
Resident Accounting Office of HOC
Accounting Specialist I, Finance Department (Former Employee), Kensington, MDAugust 28, 2013
Working for the Resident Accounting Office of HOC has truly been a wonderful and fulfilling experience. It’s been 30 years of hard work, team work, growth and maturity. A typical day at HOC is a day of many challenges and deadlines. Working with a wonderful set of people who truly care for the needs and the well being of our residents. Respecting and going the extra mile to get the job done. The hardest part of my job was setting up people for an eviction, dealing with the lost of their homes and the emotion hardship of their financial difficulties. Being Bilingual is always a plus, I was able to assist the Spanish community in many ways and for that I will always be grateful.

I am retiring next month, and will truly miss this wonderful organization. I plan to find a place where I can give what I have to offer, to succeed and be of service to others
Productive and jovial workplace
HQS Inspector (Current Employee), Gaithersburg, MDMarch 30, 2013
Pros: work environment, company outings, consistent workflow
Cons: sequester, no cola, change in healthcare
My day consists of greeting my co-workers, preparing my daily schedule, changing my voice-mail, checking in with my supervisor, returning any phone calls and/or emails, performing inspections, then entering the required information into Yardi. Using Emphasysis so many years made it easy for me to learn to use Yardi. I attained HQS certification within 2 weeks of my employment and I passed on the first attempt. I have learned many county codes and have been trained how to interact with special needs people. The management was in need of change and for the past 6 months this change has been swift and concise. My co-workers are the best and I consider them all my friend. The hardest part of the job is the slowness of the network that I utilize on a daily basis. I could get much more work done if the computer could respond as fast as I can input the data. The most enjoyable part of my job is how I am able to facilitate the placement of individuals in affordable housing that really need it.
Great coworkers
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDNovember 2, 2012
I absolutely loved my coworkers! The most enjoyable part of the job was you never knew what was gonna happen that day as far as clients.
Gaining knowledge of the marketing industry as well as having the satisfaction of a secured job.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Kensington, MDAugust 9, 2012
Pros: excellent job with security, benefits, salary, hours and co-workers. what more can a person ask for in the job market.
Cons: no cons
I was an Accounts Payable Clerk in this company. Promoted shortly after being an office assistant in the same department due to the speed I was going at in learning a great deal about the company. My duties included:

- Ensured that invoices and purchase orders were paid accurately and promptly.
- Responsible for paying eighty utility and phone bills a week.
- Tracked payments in a complex Microsoft Access database. - Respond to residents and vendor inquires.

Along with learning new and different things everyday, I got to meet and work with a wonderful and bright group of co-workers. I really admire their hard work and support for others.
Have not received an increase since 2009, no room for advancement.
Occupancy Specialist (Current Employee), GaithersburgApril 16, 2012
Pros: tuition assiatance up to $3, 000 a yr if funds are avaliable.
Cons: can not borrow from your retirement accounts, low wages.
This company does not pay well although they do offer job security. You will be overworked with no compensation. Workload is extremely huge. One person is completing a job which should require three or more.