Housing Works

Housing Works Employer Reviews

Helps the HIV/AIDS community with a variety of great services and fun events.
Messenger/Office Clerk (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: we had a keurig coffee maker and a variety of free coffees and teas to drink.
Daily, I would work on client files to assess their needs and contact them if possible.
I learned the SOAP method of taking notes for the best way to help our clients.
Most of management was a pleasure to work for as there are always a couple that are not.
My co-workers were fun to be with for the day to pass by quickly. They were helpful and welcoming to me as a new colleague.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with anyone who was not taking care of their health.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I made a difference in the lives of at least one person at the end of my day and probably even more.
facilitate housing rediness,harm reduction and substance use
Housing Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 24, 2014
Met with clients on a weekly basics to get Independent living plans completed, conducted workshops on various topics, sought permanent housing for clients who still used drugs. I learned very quickly that I don't want to assist people in hurting themselves. It was very hard to watch considering all the clients were living with HIV/AIDS. My co workers were great and very hard workers dedicated to helping the clients live productive lives. The management was like all social service agencies I've worked at. The job became your life and your family was your job. Meaning it was expected of you to work extra hours, come in on holidays to be with the clients because they did not have family, stay late, come in early( work that you were not compensated for). It began to take a big toll on me. I think that was the only down part to the job because I loved my clients. I really enjoyed coming in to work with them.
Turn to your fellow co-workers for support.
Case Manager (Current Employee), Bronx,nyOctober 21, 2014
Pros: something different everyday/ great care managers
Cons: unprofessional leaders
Over the years Housing Works vision has changed. It is no longer about the belief that obtaining and maintaining proper housing is the key to having a stable life. It is now only about increasing its enrollment numbers in order to continue to receive money from Medicaid.

I have never worked in a more negative working environment. This office can drive a person to go crazy. The program director, Babette Hudson, seems to have no issue with making personal comments, in front others, about not only her own employees but also about those in other management positions. Although those who are in a position of "power" claim to have an open door policy, their doors are always closed.

There have been a few occasions when someone has been giving a verbal warning or has been written up for something they have done and yet when someone else has done the same mistake they are not even spoken to.
Excellent place to work!
Graduate Clinical Practicum-Psychiatric (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 7, 2014
Spend a lot of time working with people from your community. Excellent attention to staff teamwork and cohesion.
Productive, and fun fast pace environmet
Medical Assistant Internship (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 3, 2014
Pros: excellent place to practice skills in a fast pace environment
Cons: not enough room to grow within your career
During my internship there i learned a lot and was able to grow my skills there. I assisted with many ECG's, and i also did over 60 successful sticks, vitals, inventory, referrals and more. Lab work was fun and helped me to memorize the purpose for each colored top tube. The workers there were very patient and a major help with learning and growing, the place was like a big family. The hardest part was trying to console seemingly inconsolable patients. The most enjoyable for me was working in the lab.
Gained experience
Driver/Mover (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYAugust 6, 2014
I gained experience in driving 16/26 foot box trucks. I gained knowledge on writing manifests, customer service, packing trucks and moving furniture. Driving manifests routes.
Great Working Environment
Baler/Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYJuly 30, 2014
Pros: stipend
Cons: bonuses
Good place to be everyone is friendly and joyful. My co-workers were good people to work with never a dull moment there. Managers was ok from 1-10 I'll give them a 6 leave room for improvement.
Very small intimate work setting.
PDC Donations Coordinator (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYJuly 7, 2014
Pros: benefit package was a plus and we had an hour lunch break
Cons: the room we worked out of was too small and the insurance deductions were too high.
I enjoyed working for this company, because it is all about helping others.
Review
Case Manager Supervisor (COBRA) (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2014
• Supervised 12 staff members composed of 4 teams consisting of Case Managers, Case Manager Technicians and Community Follow-up Workers
• Provided crisis intervention and advocacy in situations involving aggressive behavior, suicide threats, suicidal ideation or domestic violence
• Assisted the Program Director with site management, reports, chart reviews, staff billing, and staff scheduling
• Assisted in the on-boarding of new staff, coordinated intake schedule and provided case management guidance to staff
• Facilitated team meetings and conducted medical case conferences
• Maintained a case load of 36 clients
Room for growth and lots of love
Re-Entry Supervising Case Manager Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 12, 2014
Pros: diverse group of people
Cons: not enough staff to do the work targeted.
Housing Works is a great place to work. I have learned so much about team work and working towards a mission in general. I would recommend anyone serious about gaining an understanding of people from various walks of life while providing services in a welcoming environment to give Housing Works a try.
Great work inviroment, great people.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2014
Pros: you can buy lunch for one dollar and the food was good
Cons: you may experience some difficult patients and you have to be an open minded person to work here
My experience was awesome, I appreciated the staff and patients alike. I was able to get a full grasp on what a Medical Assistant duties are. A typical day at work included triage, front desk duties, and phlebotomy. At times you may run into a difficult patient but the staff is very supportive and stick together to ensure a positive solution to any problems one might encounter. Even on a long hard day you felt appreciated and accomplished.
productive
Mover/Driver (Former Employee), queens,nyApril 30, 2014
Pros: you controled your work day
Cons: healthcare
worjing for this company was a great experience, got met a tone of new people.
Great mission!
VICE PRESIDENT OF PRIMARY CARE OPERATIONS (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 29, 2014
Pros: interaction with the clients
Cons: growth potential
What I have learned most from my experience with this company is working with HIV/AIDS population and understanding the needs of a diverse population. The clients make the day's work enjoyable.
good
Medical assistant (Internship) (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: just internship
typical day at housing works, welcome patients, take their vitals, draw blood, check insurances, learned a lot about drawing blood, good managements, nice co-workers, the most i enjoyed was helping people, the hardest part, seeing very sick people who suffered from terminal illness, and not being able to help them to feel better.
Not for the faint of heart
Case Manager (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 30, 2014
Pros: fun and smart coworkers, interesting clients that you will learn from
Cons: poor, unstable arbitrary management, poor benefits/vacation time, vaguely unsafe atmosphere at times
A typical day at work as a human service professional (CASAC, case manager, etc) would be very diverse: running groups, individual counseling, case management, attending community meetings at day treatment program.

You will learn a lot about addiction, case management, mental health, HIV/AIDS.

Your coworkers will, on the whole, be great - a wonderful group of diverse, caring, smart, fun individuals. One of the best parts of the job!

Clients are the other best part of the job - you will learn so much from them!

The hardest part of the job is dealing with management, depending on the mid-level management of your site/program, plus the upper-level management. Very unstable, on the whole, lots of turnover (of staff too), and...can be vindictive.

The hardest part of the job may be the drug treatment policy of the agency: harm reduction.
As a result, a good percentage of the clients are actively using drugs. And by drugs I mean crack cocaine - most clients' drug of choice. Not a very stable or easy to deal with clientele, to say the least.

Another hard part of the job is that some of the staff (and by staff I also mean management) may also be using drugs. (yes really). Again, not a very stable or easy to deal with group of people we are talking about. And when it's your superior, or coworker, things can get dicey...

Job-Life balance is poor, due to not getting holidays off (program is open on holidays.)
Time off policy used to be generous - 40 days a year for sick, vacation, and holiday time (equalling about 10 sick days, 4 weeks vacation, and 10 holidays), but in recent years – more... I hear the agency changed it to only 25 days off a year, which is about 10 sick days, 10 holidays, and 1 week vacation (yes, that's ONE week). NOT a competitive package to say the least.

Also, the agency "doesn't believe in raises" (!)
The salary you start at is what you will stay at for years! (if not decades.)

The agency tends to have terrible financial management, and therefore is always in a financial crisis. Programs are constantly under pressure and seem to be in danger of closing at all times - stressful atmosphere.

As a result of the problematic financial state of the agency, paychecks would not arrive and/or bounce occasionally, and health insurance policies for workers turned off at times!
In short, unstable financially.

On balance, you'll learn a lot, but you'll feel like you've gone through almost a "hazing" process between the clients and the management (again, staff tend to be great).

Maybe do it for a year, to learn and get experience (if you have a strong stomach, that is.)
But...this is not a workplace to stay longterm – less
Great place to learn and move up
Case Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: seeing success in our client's eyes.
Cons: dealing with harm reduction
I loved this job and it broke my heart to leave. I learned so much and received extensive training's on so many different levels. My co workers were very nice and were very patient with me as I learned my new chosen field.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the harm reduction part of it. Our client's were able to continue their drug use and that was something I had to get used to. We encouraged them to not do drugs and we provided harm reduction methods to them.
The most rewarding times were when we had a client that got off the drugs, got a part time job, and was able to get her own apartment. Having that made my job all the more worth it. I love to see and experience success in all people.
loved the diversity.
Residential Aide/ Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 22, 2014
I enjoyed work there, staff was unified for the overall care of their clients.
Productive Work Place
.Net Developer (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 11, 2014
1.Very good workplace.
2. Productive day whole day.
3. Very helpful co-workers.
4. Good timings of work.
5. Peacefull atmosphere.
Interoffice Operations Associate (Current Employee), Long Island City, NYJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: mon-fri
Cons: benefits
The work environment is unorthodox, but I get to make my own schedule. the management allows you to handle your workload accordingly.
Wonderful diverse culture
HR Intern/Onboarding Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 10, 2013
Pros: no micromanagement, good benefits, helpful and understanding if you have personal problems
Cons: financial stability and ability to invest into growth instead of maintenance
There is nothing better than to work among such diverse and interesting people. These people know how to laugh and isn't extremely formal. It is a great work environment for those who love working toward big meaningful goals.

1 2 3