Housing Works

Housing Works Employer Reviews

Great Working Environment
Baler/Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYJuly 30, 2014
Pros: stipend
Cons: bonuses
Good place to be everyone is friendly and joyful. My co-workers were good people to work with never a dull moment there. Managers was ok from 1-10 I'll give them a 6 leave room for improvement.
Very small intimate work setting.
PDC Donations Coordinator (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYJuly 7, 2014
Pros: benefit package was a plus and we had an hour lunch break
Cons: the room we worked out of was too small and the insurance deductions were too high.
I enjoyed working for this company, because it is all about helping others.
Review
Case Manager Supervisor (COBRA) (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2014
• Supervised 12 staff members composed of 4 teams consisting of Case Managers, Case Manager Technicians and Community Follow-up Workers
• Provided crisis intervention and advocacy in situations involving aggressive behavior, suicide threats, suicidal ideation or domestic violence
• Assisted the Program Director with site management, reports, chart reviews, – more... staff billing, and staff scheduling
• Assisted in the on-boarding of new staff, coordinated intake schedule and provided case management guidance to staff
• Facilitated team meetings and conducted medical case conferences
• Maintained a case load of 36 clients – less
Room for growth and lots of love
Re-Entry Supervising Case Manager Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 12, 2014
Pros: diverse group of people
Cons: not enough staff to do the work targeted.
Housing Works is a great place to work. I have learned so much about team work and working towards a mission in general. I would recommend anyone serious about gaining an understanding of people from various walks of life while providing services in a welcoming environment to give Housing Works a try.
Great work inviroment, great people.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2014
Pros: you can buy lunch for one dollar and the food was good
Cons: you may experience some difficult patients and you have to be an open minded person to work here
My experience was awesome, I appreciated the staff and patients alike. I was able to get a full grasp on what a Medical Assistant duties are. A typical day at work included triage, front desk duties, and phlebotomy. At times you may run into a difficult patient but the staff is very supportive and stick together to ensure a positive solution to any – more... problems one might encounter. Even on a long hard day you felt appreciated and accomplished. – less
productive
Mover/Driver (Former Employee), queens,nyApril 30, 2014
Pros: you controled your work day
Cons: healthcare
worjing for this company was a great experience, got met a tone of new people.
Great mission!
VICE PRESIDENT OF PRIMARY CARE OPERATIONS (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 29, 2014
Pros: interaction with the clients
Cons: growth potential
What I have learned most from my experience with this company is working with HIV/AIDS population and understanding the needs of a diverse population. The clients make the day's work enjoyable.
good
Medical assistant (Internship) (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: just internship
typical day at housing works, welcome patients, take their vitals, draw blood, check insurances, learned a lot about drawing blood, good managements, nice co-workers, the most i enjoyed was helping people, the hardest part, seeing very sick people who suffered from terminal illness, and not being able to help them to feel better.
Not for the faint of heart
Case Manager (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 30, 2014
Pros: fun and smart coworkers, interesting clients that you will learn from
Cons: poor, unstable arbitrary management, poor benefits/vacation time, vaguely unsafe atmosphere at times
A typical day at work as a human service professional (CASAC, case manager, etc) would be very diverse: running groups, individual counseling, case management, attending community meetings at day treatment program.

You will learn a lot about addiction, case management, mental health, HIV/AIDS.

Your coworkers will, on the whole, be great - a wonderful – more... group of diverse, caring, smart, fun individuals. One of the best parts of the job!

Clients are the other best part of the job - you will learn so much from them!

The hardest part of the job is dealing with management, depending on the mid-level management of your site/program, plus the upper-level management. Very unstable, on the whole, lots of turnover (of staff too), and...can be vindictive.

The hardest part of the job may be the drug treatment policy of the agency: harm reduction.
As a result, a good percentage of the clients are actively using drugs. And by drugs I mean crack cocaine - most clients' drug of choice. Not a very stable or easy to deal with clientele, to say the least.

Another hard part of the job is that some of the staff (and by staff I also mean management) may also be using drugs. (yes really). Again, not a very stable or easy to deal with group of people we are talking about. And when it's your superior, or coworker, things can get dicey...

Job-Life balance is poor, due to not getting holidays off (program is open on holidays.)
Time off policy used to be generous - 40 days a year for sick, vacation, and holiday time (equalling about 10 sick days, 4 weeks vacation, and 10 holidays), but in recent years I hear the agency changed it to only 25 days off a year, which is about 10 sick days, 10 holidays, and 1 week vacation (yes, that's ONE week). NOT a competitive package to say the least.

Also, the agency "doesn't believe in raises" (!)
The salary you start at is what you will stay at for years! (if not decades.)

The agency tends to have terrible financial management, and therefore is always in a financial crisis. Programs are constantly under pressure and seem to be in danger of closing at all times - stressful atmosphere.

As a result of the problematic financial state of the agency, paychecks would not arrive and/or bounce occasionally, and health insurance policies for workers turned off at times!
In short, unstable financially.

On balance, you'll learn a lot, but you'll feel like you've gone through almost a "hazing" process between the clients and the management (again, staff tend to be great).

Maybe do it for a year, to learn and get experience (if you have a strong stomach, that is.)
But...this is not a workplace to stay longterm – less
Great place to learn and move up
Case Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: seeing success in our client's eyes.
Cons: dealing with harm reduction
I loved this job and it broke my heart to leave. I learned so much and received extensive training's on so many different levels. My co workers were very nice and were very patient with me as I learned my new chosen field.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the harm reduction part of it. Our client's were able to continue their drug use and – more... that was something I had to get used to. We encouraged them to not do drugs and we provided harm reduction methods to them.
The most rewarding times were when we had a client that got off the drugs, got a part time job, and was able to get her own apartment. Having that made my job all the more worth it. I love to see and experience success in all people. – less
loved the diversity.
Residential Aide/ Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 22, 2014
I enjoyed work there, staff was unified for the overall care of their clients.
Productive Work Place
.Net Developer (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 11, 2014
1.Very good workplace.
2. Productive day whole day.
3. Very helpful co-workers.
4. Good timings of work.
5. Peacefull atmosphere.
Interoffice Operations Associate (Current Employee), Long Island City, NYJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: mon-fri
Cons: benefits
The work environment is unorthodox, but I get to make my own schedule. the management allows you to handle your workload accordingly.
Wonderful diverse culture
HR Intern/Onboarding Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 10, 2013
Pros: no micromanagement, good benefits, helpful and understanding if you have personal problems
Cons: financial stability and ability to invest into growth instead of maintenance
There is nothing better than to work among such diverse and interesting people. These people know how to laugh and isn't extremely formal. It is a great work environment for those who love working toward big meaningful goals.
An amazing experience
Art Therapy Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 11, 2013
Pros: supportive staff
Cons: long hours and lots of paperwork
As an intern at Housing Works under an amazing supervisor I got a real true employee experience that left me with a sincerely rewarding feeling. I understand it wasn't a perfect place, I believe that the employees were a bit over worked and bogged down with responsibilities that fell outside their job description, but at the end of the day the staff – more... worked hard to offer the highest level of care to their clients. – less
Amazing Learning experience
Summer Youth Employment Intern (Former Employee), 253 west 125th street , New YorkSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: short lunches
I got my computer skills from working at the apollo theatre. I also learned how to work fast. My boss was strict and gave me a lot of work to do, but as a result it was so worth it. The hardest part of the job I would have to say was standing outside in the sun passing out flyers. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the look of my boss face – more... when I would get the job done. Overall it was a blessing interning at the apollo I learned a lot from the experience and gained some connections. – less
Learning experience.
Advocate (Current Employee), Bronx,N.Y.September 17, 2013
Pros: many entry programs to employment.
Cons: poorbusiness management.
Company has real heart and is a strong advocate for people who are not capable of speaking for themselves.
Productive and Client friendly environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 18, 2013
Pros: experience
Cons: short breaks
Start time is 8:30 , print the doctor's and or the nurse practitioner's appointments, deliver those to case manager's so they know if their client is scheduled. Being the floor supervisor I would ensure the Triage room , Phlebotomy room and offices were setup and stocked. Multitasking is a vital skill and along with administrative duties , prioritizing – more... work was an important task. My co - workers were great with communication which made teamwork enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was getting emotionally personal with our patient's. Housing Works is made primarily of the LGBT community and many suffer from homelessness and possibly HIV/AIDS affected clients. By way of phlebotomy we could "track" a client's health.
. This helped the doctor and the client understand what is going on health wise. Being the medical assistant I felt like the middle man between doctor and patient, creating a since of responsibility and worth in what we do. – less
Great company to work with
Sous Chef (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 8, 2013
Housing Works it is a great place to work because you you helping people in one way or another and that is a great feeling
health, hope, healing, advocacy
Director of Therapeutic Recreation/ Art Therapist (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2013
An amazing, organzization that I have been privileged to work for.

1 2 3