Housing Works Employee Reviews in United States

Face paced environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2016
Housing Works Inc is not for the faint hearted. Fast paced and high pressure environment. Customers need extensive customer service, and attention.
A great experience
Medical Assistant Internship/volunteer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 11, 2016
As medical assistant in housing work i dealt with patients who has been living with AIDS/HIV and HEP, working there you should always be on your toes and never slacking, I check schedules the day before, filtering the patient for the provider, making authorizations, referrals and insurance checks, making future appointments, double checking to make sure patient attended out bound appointments, making documents in excel who went to there appointments and who did not. Going over and beyond on daily basis. Making sure lab work was done and sent of to the lab for review . Coming in the company they were already short staff. But had great management who conducted great team work for the clinic. Assisting patient that i already knew where dieing, creating a bond and then watching them parish. The most enjoyable part about was being able to meet the patients needs have them in and out of the clinic with a smile on there face guaranteed they well be seen in a few weeks.
All in !!!
Lead Custodian (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY / New York, NYJanuary 10, 2016
Team work, makes your job more easier and flexible, without that you will always have a hard time at work, but the most enjoyable part of the job is that I am always crossing division in communicating with other's department within the organization and helping others co-workers to have thing done.
A diverse and interesting place to work
Medical Assistant/Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 20, 2015
Working at this company, I have learned to deal with different populations of people, high and low functioning. I have also learned the importance of advocacy and great customer service.
Outreach Worker/Acupuncture Detox Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2015
I worked in a fast pace environment. The employees were friendly and kind. I learned a lot about assisting clients in establishing health care insurance.
Productive and competetive experience
Residential Aid/ Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 6, 2015
the work experience at Housing Works was great there is such diversity in characters the client were amazing you learn and took something from there struggles everyday. It felt great to be the person to show them that there is light on the other side and that it really is worth waking up everyday. my job at Housing work weather it was when i worked as a Residential Aid or a Medical Assistant was an amazing experience but allowed me to be there for my client in such great professionalism and family oriented organization.
fun work place, respectable clients
CASAC T- Trainee (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 11, 2015
supportive management,

the workers are sometime respectable, when under staff its unorganized, but we as worker try our best to provide quality care to the client that we serve in a daily basis.
Passionate workplace
Re-entry Program Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2015
Lots of passion, compensation limited. They are a nonprofit entity and unable to compensate what individuals are worth. But, it is a good place to work overall.
Great and Valuable Experience
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2015
I was only a graduate intern while working at Housing Works, but this was one of my most valuable experiences. I had a very supportive supervisor who ensured that I received the proper work to develop as a professional social worker and gain clinical expereince. The agency itself felt highly organized and the staff maintained a welcoming, supportive environment.
Pros
Organized office and supportive staff
Cons
Must travel at times
No encouragement to grow
Key holder/Manager, Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2015
I am a worker bee and staying focused is a win for me, but how could you when the company is still learning and growing too. I need stability and at times the company lack in that area.
Low stress and fulfilling workplace
Online sales (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 11, 2015
A wonderful place to work with benefits including PTO, healthcare, and dental care. Management is willing to let you change your hours around if needed.
Best part of the job is knowing that every dollar you earn for Housing Works goes to help people suffering from homelessness and AIDS.
Pros
Health and dental even for those not working full time
Cons
Exhausting at times
workplace culture ++
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2015
Amazing, passionate, real coworkers.
Workload is physical and intense.
Great mission- advocacy opportunities.
Antiques, beautiful furniture, really incredible merchandise.
A community of supportive individuals seeking and giving the help needed.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 11, 2015
Housing works is a community of advocates and clients who want to fight and end the HIV/AIDS crisis in NYC. At housing works i provided a clean facility in many locations. Some of my duties were sweeping, mopping, waxing, buffing floors. Dusting, organizing. Fire drill and safety exercises.
Pros
free lunches, free gym, free acupunture.
Cons
many per diem positions
Compassionate and Educational
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2015
My internship at Housing Works was a rewarding one. In my short time there, I learned that there is a need to help people. People came from different parts of the country to receive help and Housing Works was helping each and every person to the best of their capacity.
Pros
Free Lunch
Theraputic learning and working environment
Administrator/Case Manager/Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2015
when I first arrived I was working in the intake department. Then as I got further in my education I began working as a case manager. I have conducted one on one sessions and co facilitated groups. I have also done administrative work. there was never a dull moment. It was hard work and took dedication. on a regular basis you had to deal with mental health , substance issues, and medical issues. there was always something that the clients needed assistance with. during this time I had a mentor who would show me everything. Everyone was a team player and stuck together to assess the clients. there were group meetings everyday. The hardest part of the job was getting their care plans in on time. it was done, but it wasn't easy. the best part of the job is being able to help people. there are so many personalities and that is what kept the day enjoyable.
Pros
the events that were held was amazimng.the lunches for the clients families, and their everyday activities.
Cons
dealing with illness.Seeing the clients not feeling well for the day.
Fun residential workplace
Clinical Social Worker/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 8, 2015
A typical day at work involved running therapeutic groups and meeting with clients individually to do assessments and sessions. Coming out of school I have knowledge of what a social worker should be taught from a textbook but I got to learn firsthand the plight of the homeless and those struggling with mental illness and substance abuse disorders. The most enjoyable parts of my days were eating meals with the clients when I got to sit down and just socialize with them and really get to know them.
Housing Works Inc. is healing community of people living with and affected by the disease of HIV/AIDS; their mission is to end the dual crisis of home
Clinical Residential Case Manager Nabac (Former Employee) –  143-145 West 130th St.April 8, 2015
I felt a sense of inclusion which was appreciated, therefore it was a joy working with the members of this healing community.
Pros
The organization provides its worker with a strong community feel, and there is opportunity for advancement.
Cons
None that I can think of.
Great job culture. Great co workers
The Works Catering (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2015
While a huge amount of work every day, day in and day out, I thoroughly enjoyed my co workers as well as the work in the bookstore. The Works catering was very well paid and very well managed. There is a strong work ethic and a camaraderie that forms when you respect your management and co workers.
Pros
The benefits were great.
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2015
I would pull out books on shelves and help with packaging and shipping. It was a fun and creative environment working with Housing Works. I've met a lot of new people and was amazed how many books they had.
Pros
free drink
Good place to work/ can be extremely stressful at times
Manager/Handyman (Current Employee) –  454 Lexington ave Brooklyn NYMarch 16, 2015
- Supervise the day-to- day operation of 454 Lexington Ave 20 housing apartment units, 874 Jefferson Ave 12 apartment units with full maintenance and operation responsibility.
- Supervise maintenance crews and contractors, ensuring all grounds keeping, housekeeping, maintenance and renovation work are on schedule.
- Manage resident’s relations, communication with residents to identify, and resolve, any issues or inquiries.
- Increased profitability and productivity, while reducing operation costs.
- Direct daily inventory operation, purchasing and data processing.
- Evaluate operations and execute solutions to maximize effectiveness in inventory, distribution, safety, and profitability.