Houston Baptist University Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Small, liberal arts university with a strong culture and friendly people
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2017
I enjoy working at Houston Baptist University. Everyone knows one another, and you are greeted by name by people from across the university. I teach courses on a contractual, as needed basis. The pay is comparable to what other universities pay adjunct faculty.
The best job I've ever held
Director of Athletic Training/Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2017
There was a great relationship between coworkers. Great work environment. Good balance between work and personal life. Management was excellent. I enjoyed being able to use all of my rehabilitation skills and working with a variety of physicians and allied health professionals.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Good workplace free food when available
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 1, 2017
All in all it is a very quiet peaceful workplace. Atmosphere is good when weather conditions are good, rainy days a little better not much to do just wait until it passes or finish up small task. Summers are productive a lot of camps come thru so it's never slow paced always busy.
Pros
Free lunches when available
Cons
On call, dorm rooms
Work Study Student
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2017
While attending HBU I worked in the work study program. It made it easy for me to attend school and make money at the same time. The jobs they provide for students are easy and flexible.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant/Test Proctor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2017
Overall this was an excellent experience. It gave me some credible resume material. I learned how to work with different personalities. The hours were flexible and easy to manage.
Hbu
Director of Bands (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2017
Good place to work and learn, a really good place to better your craft as an educators. Really great students attend the university. The other faculty members are also nice.
Christian Occupation
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2017
Worrking for admissions is extremely fun. The staff is always fun loving and make everyday of work during and after orientation feel like a fun event.
work-study
Freshmen Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2017
Being a peer mentor was fun and taught me a lot, it was a fun work environment and built relationships with other students by helping them get accustomed to college life
Hard work, but casual environment.
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2017
Most days followed a routine except for the occasional classroom technical emergency. Communication was important, but difficult as most supervisors were hard to contact.
Pros
Developed a lot of new skills.
Cons
No real training program.
A very productive and energetic work environment.
Administrative Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  SNAHDecember 18, 2016
Houston Baptist University is a very Great University with good Values.
(SoNAH) School of Nursing Employees are Angels.
Productive and work fun place with necessities for career buiding as well as recreation.
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 8, 2016
My first job as a science teacher was very innovative, researching and carrying out laboratory experiments. Students were involved very well and at the long run knowledge was impacted on them.
my second and main job as a food science and Technology lecturer was veryawesome. I started as a graduate assistant then went for my MSc in Food Processing and Preservation. My research thesis for both BSc and MSc were interesting and demanding and thus harnessed the difficulties thereof.
My 3rd job at Bronx Community College as a Chemistry Prof. helped me identify with my fellow scientists and enabled me carry out researches with them for 3-4years.
Then going to graduate school at Houston Baptist Universityenabled me get info. about management in general. What to do to make work environment safe and condusive. And I was able to carry out diverse types of analysis requred in my field for graduation being Science and Math. I am through with the cerification Classes .
Pros
Subsidized lunch.
Cons
Break, Health benefits etc.
Productive. Great Atmosphere.
Campus Recreation Staff (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2016
My experience Working at Houston Baptist University was an enjoyable one. the management was great and never gave their employees a hard time. We knew what was expected of us and got our work done in a timely fashion. My co-workers and I got a long very well, seeming that we all went to the same school. which was very small. I would say the hardest part of the job was trying not to goof around when working with your friends. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet knew people.
Pros
Close to Home
Cons
No Breaks.
A lot of work, but it helps out with college.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 27, 2016
They worked us non-stop and it was a very tiring job, but they paid for our room and board so that was definitely worth it. It was hard to find the desire to work simply because you never saw a paycheck. It went straight into your account and payed for your school.
A place in which work felt like so much less.
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 17, 2016
Working for the University was an experience I feel was very positive. My intention for working here was for the benefit of gaining customer service skills for the future, and I was able to do just that. Work included the use of wireless communication software in combination with data processing, so being technologically savvy helped tremendously. The goal of the job was to reach the universities alumni and update their system information or ask if they'd like to donate to the universities future endeavors. This was done alongside a team of six, including myself. The atmosphere was very calm, and of intense focus as we rarely stopped working to chat, although when we did it was very fun and laughter was welcome. Management was excellent. How well ones day went at work often came down to those you communicated with, while phone calls were made back to back every hour of the day. The hardest part of my time here was speaking to those who were less than happy about their experience at the university and learning why, while the most enjoyable part was speaking to those who did enjoy their time. Every once in a while I would also speak to very successful men and women and gain advice, and that I loved. Overall, working here was excellent.

The Department I worked under was the Student Advancement Team
Pros
The ability to learn from the various people one spoke to.
Cons
Hours were long, not much movement (desk job)
Loved working for HBU
Service Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
I last worked in the Treasury Dept. with Student Accounts as a Cashier. Totally enjoyed working with students and helping them with their questions and accounts.
Environment that accentuates individual growth
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2015
Working at Houston Baptist University for the past three years has been invaluable. I have learned to take initiatives countless times in my specified jobs and also provide quality service while using proper communicating skills. This workplace gave me an opportunity to create and nurture relationships with others as well as with myself.
Adjunct
Associate Professor of Business (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2015
Adjunct professors are hired by schools on a contractual, part-time basis as opposed to the traditional university model of full-time employment. They do not get employment benefits, including health insurance or retirement plans. Adjuncts are often hired to teach a specific course that regular faculty may not have expertise in.
Pros
Professor
Cons
No Benefits
Hbu
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2015
It was great! I learned a lot from the Residence Life Staff. They teach you the importance of teamwork and to use your team members strengths to reach goals.
Productive and easy-going environment
Houston Baptist University Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2014
A typical day at work consists of answering phone calls and assisting the dean. The environment is very relaxing and easy-going. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with students and staff.
Productive and fun workplace
Student Worker Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 26, 2014
Very good work environment but very challenging pace. Growth in computer knowledge, including hardware and software, is exponential. Customers are sometimes difficult to deal with, but this is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have a team of coworkers willing to help, and friendships are made in this way.
Pros
Management, Work Environment, Growth of Knowledge
Cons
Challenging