Houston Baptist University Employee Reviews in United States

A place in which work felt like so much less.
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 17, 2016
Working for the University was an experience I feel was very positive. My intention for working here was for the benefit of gaining customer service skills for the future, and I was able to do just that. Work included the use of wireless communication software in combination with data processing, so being technologically savvy helped tremendously. The goal of the job was to reach the universities alumni and update their system information or ask if they'd like to donate to the universities future endeavors. This was done alongside a team of six, including myself. The atmosphere was very calm, and of intense focus as we rarely stopped working to chat, although when we did it was very fun and laughter was welcome. Management was excellent. How well ones day went at work often came down to those you communicated with, while phone calls were made back to back every hour of the day. The hardest part of my time here was speaking to those who were less than happy about their experience at the university and learning why, while the most enjoyable part was speaking to those who did enjoy their time. Every once in a while I would also speak to very successful men and women and gain advice, and that I loved. Overall, working here was excellent.

The Department I worked under was the Student Advancement Team
Pros
The ability to learn from the various people one spoke to.
Cons
Hours were long, not much movement (desk job)
Loved working for HBU
Service Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
I last worked in the Treasury Dept. with Student Accounts as a Cashier. Totally enjoyed working with students and helping them with their questions and accounts.
Environment that accentuates individual growth
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2015
Working at Houston Baptist University for the past three years has been invaluable. I have learned to take initiatives countless times in my specified jobs and also provide quality service while using proper communicating skills. This workplace gave me an opportunity to create and nurture relationships with others as well as with myself.
Adjunct
Associate Professor of Business (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2015
Adjunct professors are hired by schools on a contractual, part-time basis as opposed to the traditional university model of full-time employment. They do not get employment benefits, including health insurance or retirement plans. Adjuncts are often hired to teach a specific course that regular faculty may not have expertise in.
Pros
Professor
Cons
No Benefits
Hbu
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2015
It was great! I learned a lot from the Residence Life Staff. They teach you the importance of teamwork and to use your team members strengths to reach goals.
Productive and easy-going environment
Houston Baptist University Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2014
A typical day at work consists of answering phone calls and assisting the dean. The environment is very relaxing and easy-going. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with students and staff.
Productive and fun workplace
Student Worker Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 26, 2014
Very good work environment but very challenging pace. Growth in computer knowledge, including hardware and software, is exponential. Customers are sometimes difficult to deal with, but this is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have a team of coworkers willing to help, and friendships are made in this way.
Pros
management, work environment, growth of knowledge
Cons
challenging
Enjoyed working there with student and staff
Financial Aid Advisor/ VA (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2014
Working there was a complete joy, everyone was extremely nice understanding to any family unexpected issues
A typical day at Houston Baptist University Police Department
Corporal/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2014
A typical day at work involves me supervising the officers on my shift. Completing paper work for my shift and any other paper work that is needed. I speak to the officers about the patrol schedule and make sure everything is okay at work. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we are all sitting around eating together after a special event or assignment at work.
Pros
considerable amount of days off
Cons
free tennis shoes and lunches when you work athletic events.
Very enjoyable to have worked there
Database Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2014
Good environment, great place to work at. Great co-workers
Great culture of health and wellness but lacking vision
Fitness Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2014
I was brought about Houston Baptist to grow the student and public fitness center. The populous is relatively small, so my influence and reach is great. The members, generally, are of utmost class and ambition, with a few outliers. I very much have a great vision and path for growth, but most ideas and programs are stopped in their tracks. This is not due to them being bad ideas, but the chain of command is broken.
This job was fun in the sense that I could ask for work and happily receive it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 21, 2013
A typical day at work was answering the department phones and helping parents, students and professors.

I learned how to safeguard confidential student information, order testing supplies, schedule appointments and help students.

I worked well with my boss.

For the most part the co-workers were very helpful.

The hardest part of my job was not having enough time in the day to help more people.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help the public and co-workers.
Pros
everything you needed was on campus from exercise equipment to a cafeteria.
Cons
politics
Productive Environment
IT Student Worker Support Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2013
Provided direct, customer-facing support services on a typical day.
Very productive environment; gets the job done
Usher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 26, 2012
A typical day at work involves me scanning patrons' tickets and escorting them to their seats. The job is pretty self-explanatory therefore there is little manager inolvement. The hardest part of the job is telling people that they are not allowed to bring certain items into the theater area and the most enjoyale part of the job is seeing the smiles on peoples' facs after the show is over.
Learned more things about software that I needed to learn for future jobs
Catering Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2012
I would go in to work, check my emails and my bosses email and sometimes respond to them for him. I would check and see what events we had that day and tell the employees what needed to be done. I would sometimes help them setup. I would accept orders of products for my boss, have forms signed, send faxes over.
Great atmosphere
ITS Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2012
This job allowed me to learn in a different atmosphere and I loved what I received from this job. I loved how this job's atmosphere was fun and new.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Baptist University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3