Houston Community College

Houston Community College Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Instructor, Adult Education/Harris County Jail (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2016
My experience here was great however, they go to great lenth to not offer benefits by limiting hours worked per week. Hourly pay was good but summers were hard being off work with no pay.
Pros
Hourly Pay
Cons
No benefits
Fun work place
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2016
Great people to work with. new challenges every day. short lunch breaks. Good benefits packages. you never work alone, great training for new technology.
Pros
we learn something new almost everyday
Cons
I feel satisfied with HCC management style, courses' planed and results by the end of courses.
Professor of Accounting and Taxation (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 5, 2015
I am working at HCC as part time instructor at Accounting Department. Regularly, I am teaching 3 - 4 courses (Taxation for Individual, Entities in addition to Accounting courses) for the three semesters per academic year. As teaching is my hobby, I love teaching, I give teaching activities whatever it takes. My long experience; as accountant (domestic as well as international) and Master tax advisor with H&R Block for long time ( Enrolled Agent), are helping me a lot in my teaching. My teaching style is a combination of academic and life experience. During the course, my great concern is students benefits; I helped many students in and outside classroom. The hardest part in my job; as being part time instructor, it is not easy to predict what courses will or will not be assigned to me, that does not help me to plan ahead for next courses.
Pros
Enjoying the teaching and be part of students success.
Cons
Not enough courses to teach.
Great opportunity to learn about fashion design while teaching
Lab Assistant for the Fashion Department (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2016
As I assisted professors in the classroom, it gives me the opportunity to learn fashion design more, and grow my skills in communication with different types of people. My co-workers were great to work with. Hardest part about the job is sometimes you get students who can be disrespectful and make you work harder at your job. Then again those students typically don't last long and end up dropping out.
Pros
Pays well, and keeps student loans down
Cons
Only can work a certain amount of hours
An excellent and diverse work place.
Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 6, 2016
I begin by taking attendance. I then engage student by asking them about the latest news or event in politics and how they feel about it. I then lecture. Every semester I learn about a new student's background and culture. I enjoy when I feel like the students are much knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the political and understanding of how lack of political knowledge will have an adverse affect in their lives.
An amazing opportunity to start your basics with and for transfering
Physical Sciences Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2016
Houston Community College is a great opportunity to start off your basics with. I have started this college with a 2 year transfer plan in order for me to transfer to a 4 year university to earn my bachelors degree in Biology. Therefore, Houston Community College provided me with experience and knowledge on how to start planning my future.
Gettting to work with Administrative Professionals.
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2016
Walk in set up your switchboard and open up your emails.
How to interact with different classes of Faculty, Employees and Students and assist them fast but in a proper way.
They were so helpful in furthering my career.
Having to be in charge of High School programs that came in on a Saturday and Sunday but the duties was always done proper n correct.
Having to work with amazing employees. Ho
Pros
Celebrated almost every Holiday with a dinner.
Cons
Rude people
Fun Place to Work
Computer Lab Assistant/Receptionist Floater (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 20, 2016
Made to feel so welcome. Learned a lot about the business technology field. Was going to school here as I was working here. Co-workers were very friendly and informative. Answer the phones, help students and parents with class information. Learning things first hand from department associate chair.
Pros
Good pay, short hours
Cons
Ended too soon
You get to interact with a lot different cultures.
Career Planning Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2016
This very good company to work for. I have worked in several different department and everyone one of my supervisors was kind, understanding,and helpful when it came to making sure that the job was done effectively, which is to meet the need of the student.
Pros
You get to enjoy different cultures.
Cons
Hard to get full time positions.
The most place where tutors feel confident to work
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2016
We make sure our students are comfortable with the knowledge level where they supposed to be.We do many reviews to guide students important concepts so that they perfectly complete their exams. It is our pleasure to see our students feel confident when dealing with any problems which are similar to the ones that we have gone over.
Student job
Part time Secretary Intensive English Department (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2016
A typical day at the office consisted of interacting with students answering their questions. Working at HCC i learned the registration process along with other information needed for a students academic path.Management worked with your schedule and available if you needed anything. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the students and watching them grow through the program.
Pros
worked with schedule
Cons
part time only
Productive and overall fun place to work at
Finacial Aid representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2016
Houston Community College is a fantastic place to work, they are all about their students and furthering their education. Houston Community College was awesome at making sure that their enrollment process is as seamless as possible. They are literally a well oiled machine.
Excellent opportunities in this field
Enrollment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2016
Serve as primary customer service representative to promote and ensure students access, success, and to promote customer satisfaction.
Serve as a resource in providing general information over the phone, and in person to students, faculty, staff, and community.
Review various documents to assure students meet College course.
Verify and explain residency status based on state and federal regulations.
Assist students with establishing and meeting educational goals.
Pros
great meeting with lunch available
Cons
N/A
Lots of overtime available
SeniorTelecommunications Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2015
Daily details and duties of the job are great. Management and supervisors not so much. Would be nice to actually be involved in the department as a necessary entity.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lack of empathy specifically for dispatch center
HCC Review
HCC Secretarial Helper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2016
For working only three days a week as first an intern at HCCS, I will say it was a rewarding experience for me. I got a chance to learn a bit of how it was like to work behind a computer and completing tasks required for what was needed to update HCC's website. I also had fun working with my employers.
Pros
Big paychecks
Cons
Was constantly moved between computers due to lack of private cubicle.
Great place to work. Relaxed environment.
Enrollment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 18, 2016
Interning for Houston Community College was a great experience and gave me good insight on the education system. Employees are given a task and are treated with respect.
Pros
Great Staff/Management
Productive work place
Biology Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2016
Excellent place to work, with a good routine, many learning opportunities, co-workers are helpful, most enjoyable part is teaching students and learning from colleagues.
Pros
Enough time to prepare for classes
Cons
none so far
High level professionals in higher education
Project Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 20, 2016
A very diverse higher education for professional looking to advance in the disciplines of specialty in education. I have learned the importance of team work and managing others. It is a fair and equitable environment where employee are empowered to learn and value others.
Seen Better
Adjunct Professor of Government (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2016
HCC is only getting worse with their management, or lack thereof, they are going through a re-org, and yet have yet to centralize their department chairs. They higher people less qualified to teach from out of state rather than from their pool of part-time professors.
Helping the students.
Career Planning Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXMay 9, 2016
Nothing about the paycheck or benefits here. This is about the day-to-day helping others that gives me joy. I also like how busy we can get from time to time. The fact that I get to work on my data entry and typing skills is a plus.
Pros
Meeting a diverse group of people and free lunch sometimes.
Cons
Temporary work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

Houston Community College Reviews by Location