Houston Community College Employee Reviews

Fun
Work Study Student (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks during peak season
I really enjoyed my experience with the YMCA members and staff. It provided an opportunity to meet with really great people. A typical day at work began 15 minutes prior to shift. My routine would be as follows: greet the staff, punch-in, speak with the team leader for any change updates, open a till for cash transactions and began helping potential members with questions and enrollment. The management are great! They set the tone for the day with broad smiles and burst of energy to keep the work environment fun and stimulating. They are very knowledgeable of the industry and take their professions very serious. It not just a job but, a life style for them. My co-workers were also great because, they carried the same spirit and attitudes of the management team. The hardest part of the job was during the summer months when there were children dropped off there early in the mornings and had to wait long periods of time before school and after to be picked up due to parents work schedule.
HCC is a good academiic setting to work in. They do a great job for the students serverd
PT ADJUNCT BIOLOGY/ANATOMY PHYSIOLOGY (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Helping students complete courses for their career paths.
Cons: The laboratory chemicals and preservatives were difficult for most to work through.
Teaching is a great profession, I love it. As an adjunct professor, I was able to help students come to understand and appreciate the subject matter studied. Curriculum and test developement can be initially challenging, but once in place the lecture and laboratory classes went well.

Most of my students were pursing a nursing career and were interested and participatory. It is alwasy easier to teach interested students, they engage and are excited about learning.

Laboratory class as a bit more challenging for students and teachers. To engage in dissection for anatomical study can be daunting for some timid students. However, I was able to keep it simple and make the study applicable such that they could embrace the knowledge beyond the procedural aspects of the process.

It was rewarding to witness the students come to an understanding and working knowledge of the subject matter,
Lots of overtime available
SeniorTelecommunications Officer (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 22, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: lack of empathy specifically for dispatch center
Daily details and duties of the job are great. Management and supervisors not so much. Would be nice to actually be involved in the department as a necessary entity.
Fun place to work, friendly and cordial work environment.
Technician Aid (Part-Time) (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 21, 2015
My work day started at 9am and ended at about 4pm. There're times it gets extremely busy and then slows down to a normal routine.
I work in the IT Dept. I learned a lot from my boss, given that I had no experience in Asset Management.
The hardest part of the is to bridge the gap with other departments. The enjoyable part is to meet and exceed the expectations of those that come to you for service.
Part Time employees ideal work environment
Part-time Corporate Trainer (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Uesd my best skills
Cons: Not enough work for all the Trainers
The majority of my assignments were delivered at corporate client locations in the Houston Metro Area. I presented soft skill workshops to employees at different companies. The workshops were basically given to employees who were moving into leadership or already in leadership position.
Not a pleasant environment
Interim Director (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 5, 2015
The Board is self-defeating in its leadership style and the example it sets filters down to each level of staff. The school has a lot going for it, too bad the Board keeps getting in the way.
I feel satisfied with HCC management style, courses' planed and results by the end of courses.
Professor of Accounting and Taxation (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Enjoying the teaching and be part of students success.
Cons: Not enough courses to teach.
I am working at HCC as part time instructor at Accounting Department. Regularly, I am teaching 3 - 4 courses (Taxation for Individual, Entities in addition to Accounting courses) for the three semesters per academic year. As teaching is my hobby, I love teaching, I give teaching activities whatever it takes. My long experience; as accountant (domestic as well as international) and Master tax advisor with H&R Block for long time ( Enrolled Agent), are helping me a lot in my teaching. My teaching style is a combination of academic and life experience. During the course, my great concern is students benefits; I helped many students in and outside classroom. The hardest part in my job; as being part time instructor, it is not easy to predict what courses will or will not be assigned to me, that does not help me to plan ahead for next courses.
Adjunct Teacher
Adjunct Instructor and Tutor (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Great job if you need freedom to work your own hours.
Cons: Pay is okay but no benefits.
This is a great job if you have children cause you can work around your schedule. but their is no benefits offered.It is several location around Houston so you can work close to home,
Great place to work.
Social Media Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 13, 2015
Houston Community College is a great place to work. Very friendly environment as far as employees and students. My co-workers were great.
My expertise and professionalism were encouraged.
Counselor, Campus Manager, Chairperson (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Worked with very little supervision, as it was not needed.
Cons: Limited external professional development opportunities
I counseled students, their parents, staff, faculty, and occasionally administrators. The work with students focused on educational planning, career exploration and decision-making, financial aid planning, and job seeking preparation. I mediated the most emotional problems, that arose among all at the campuses. Regularly spoke within the college, at middle schools and high schools, at conferences and conventions with other colleges and universities, and at companies, with whom the HCC had industry review boards for curriculum programs.
A great place of learning, employment wise as well as educational wise
Recruiter/CE Record Specialist/Client Consultant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 10, 2015
Houston Community College has been a great place of learning, employment wise as well as educational wise. I have met many great people and learned different types of management styles. My co-workers have been great for the most part I can say. It has been and enjoyable learning experience.
Supportive Organization to work for
Instructional Support Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2015
I started with HCC as a work study job while a student there and ended getting a job offer after my first year. Everyone that I worked with helped me out greatly whenever I needed anything. I learned a lot while working here.
I was always able to get my schedule that way I needed to help me while in school and now that I am out of school working around my needs still isn't an issue. While it can be difficult to get promoted into a new position and the pay isn't a good as it is in other places, you'll find many opportunities to grow your skills and learn new skills.
Everyone across the system that I have worked with has been friendly and easy to work with. I've found every department seems to have a friendly and diverse working environment.
Laid back, paid spring break and winter break
Hardware/Software Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2015
HCC has a laid back environment in which the best benefit is the fact you get paid time off for spring break as well as winter break.
productive
Hyperion Consultant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2015
Good place to learn
friendly management
challenging job
good perks
helping to co-workers
the most enjoyable part of the job
Teacher's aide was probably the easiest and fun job I had
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 31, 2015
The professor was real easy to get along with as well as the tasks. Making presentations as well preparing brochures for upcoming events.
Nice work enviroment
Enrollment Office Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 22, 2015
The people are the funnest ! The co-workers can really make or break this job. Students always have questions! So be prepared to assist them the whole day !
Flexible and Close to my career
Lab assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 22, 2015
I work 2 day per week in the labs. I can practice my experience of using software when I work here. The time is very flexible and I manage my own room at my time. My co-workers are friendly and helpful.
Nice place to work.
Office Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 15, 2015
This position interacted with students on a daily basis. You certainly learn a lot about yourself when you deal with young people day to day. Loved this part of my job.

The management part of HCCS is no different than any other professional business.

Your co-workers are the same every where some you like and some you just keep a professional demeanor.

The hardest part of the job was finding out what kind of environments these students live in and why they have difficulty in making the grades they need to be successful..

The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting students with their educational needs in order to be successful.
Productive and nice place to work for
Assistant, Student (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 10, 2015
I enjoyed work at Houston Community College test lab. I liked everything about it. Especially when the students cam to take their test and felt they would fail and came out with the biggest smile, that made my day.
Flexible; Good place to work
Part Time Instructional Support (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 6, 2015
Pros: Flexibility for work life balance
Cons: Contracts
The staff are truly committed to improving and inspiring each individual to excel within their professional field of choice.