Houston Community College Employee Reviews

Daily Challenge with issues in Software
Instructional Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77002July 29, 2017
A typical day at work included the frustrations of students and instructors having issues with the software and assignments. PATIENCE with everyone = success. I enjoyed my colleagues as well as the efforts of management to assist with the daily challenges.
Pros
Team meetings
Cons
Phones ringing, students not selecting correct extentions
Paid only for time spent in classroom
Adjunct Accounting Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2017
I was paid only for time I taught the classes. All the grading and time spent preparing for lessons, grading, etc were not compensated.

Home phone started ringing at 5 pm on Fridays and continued all weekend

Students would interrupt class for non-related questions, then complain to the dean if you did not answer them
Pros
Gained experience teaching
Cons
Student behavior, transportation
Flexible Schedule
Adjunct Faculty (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2017
Working as an adjunct faculty I was able to work part time with excellent guidance. The dean was supportive with any questions or situations I inquired about.
Katy Campus
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2017
To work at the Katy Campus is the best and that is why I gave HCC any three or fours starts. Since the transformation, there is no room to grow. District has stripped a lot of the responsibilities and does a bad job a planning. Get used to doing things last minute and it take FOREVER for them to make a decision. It's takes anywhere from 3-4 months to get hired own and willing to switch up stories to cover their tracks.

I would say, it is a great place for people who need to work and go to school at the same time, people who have retired, or for those with small children. Having off when the students are off is an excellent benefit!
Pros
Paid Holidays including Spring Break and Christmas Break.
Cons
District Management
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2017
This was an after school part time job. I learned clerical skills and met new people every day. My boss was so fun as well as the staff. Although stressful at times it was a great after school opportunity.
nice place to work if you're a student
Student Life Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2017
I always had good days. I got the job through student aide. The hardest part about the job was when you don't have an answer to give a caller. I learned how to manage my stress and time because the department I worked in helped students relax. Also made college fun for some individuals.
Pros
nice enviroment
Cons
worked with my class
Included in the workday. The class was in the early morning before school
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2017
The work environment was good as it was my high that I taught at on a daily basis. I did not have to travel anywhere, was in my own classroom and was able to set my daily schedule. The typical work day was challenging as things changed daily. You worked with both adults and high school students. I enjoyed working with the students. There was nothing routine about my job.
Pros
It was at the school my regualr workday day was
Cons
Very early in the morning
uninspiring
Project Controls Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2017
Not enjoyable, difficult to get full time employment. Not very organized.

Work place culture is not too bad.

Management is just okay

Not the hardest job
Great Company
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2017
Great company to work for! The company is supportive of its employees. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I was able to help my students grow personally and professionally.
I loved the enviroment and the admsophere of working in the art gallery
Gallery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2017
Meeting the people who allowed their art work to be hung in the gallery and the students who came to view them and to see the excitement on their faces when they found out that it was actually students art work.
Pros
Being able to be relaxed at all times with no stress what so ever
Cons
Not having to leave the gallery to eat lunch and also study and read homework for my classes

Want to know more about Houston Community College?

Ask a question
Consistent
Sr. Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2017
Culture and consistent of technology is good. Community of the people plays a part of it and levels of management can become a bit overwhelming. A good place to work if you have a family and need stability.
Pros
Stability
I love training here
Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2017
I started this journey in 2015 and Its the greatest decision I have ever made. Training at this school was awesome. The equipment was new and the kitchens were clean and my teachers were awesome. Im going back to get my associates degree as soon as I can.
Fun workplace and a great place to attain many skills
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2017
Working for HCC is a great place to work. I worked in the Upward Bound Office and mainly worked with high school students, with homework or with any other problems that they would need help with. In this office, not only do you do the job that you were hired for, but there are many opportunities for one to gain so much experience in the office life.
Great place to work if you are motivated
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2017
HCC allows faculty to pursue their interests, whether it be research or grant-writing or anything in between. As long as you show integrity you can have a long career there.
Productive and Excellent learning experience
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 23, 2017
This job provided an excellent starting place for those that are interested in a call center career. The entire team was willing to assist at any given moment no matter how busy the office was. The environment is open but yet you could still hear your callers that were on your line. No loud talking people.
Great!
Designated School Official (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 23, 2017
Great Employer. Very diverse and ensures employees have a work life balance. I always felt my supervisors helped me to grow and move up in my career. Great place!
Pros
All!
Cons
None!
Classroom environment hourly
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Westbury High School,June 20, 2017
Taught students only for one hour approximately three days a week. Standard college computer applications class. In a college class, you really don't have the opportunity to get to know students as you do in high school. However, still enjoyed work with the students
Excellent
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2017
received a lot of training and skills to join the workforce. these skills included working with servers, installing and configuring Hardware and Software on both virtual and physical machines.
Degree Driven
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2017
Even though the work force degrees do not require advanced degrees to teach there, they do not value your work experience. My department chairman is supportive at times, the department has moved to a new space and our new dean is very supportive in trying to get new equipment and expand our student base.
Pros
Friendly enviorment
Cons
Adjunct professors do not receive any benefits
Fun place to work
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 6, 2017
Excellent benefits package. I love the atmosphere and the college system. There is something for everyone and it is a great place to work..................