Houston Community College Employee Reviews

An amazing opportunity to start your basics with and for transfering
Physical Sciences Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2016
Houston Community College is a great opportunity to start off your basics with. I have started this college with a 2 year transfer plan in order for me to transfer to a 4 year university to earn my bachelors degree in Biology. Therefore, Houston Community College provided me with experience and knowledge on how to start planning my future.
Work /Life Balance
Enrollment Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2016
This college provides opportunities for staffs and students to learn , work and cooperate from each others. Regular meetings , online learning for staffs and recognition often provided by the college.
its ok
Public Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2016
ok, I cannot rate it well because mine was a part time job.
It was just a work study job and because of this I didnt have much interaction...I would not know what else to say
Productive work place
Biology Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2016
Excellent place to work, with a good routine, many learning opportunities, co-workers are helpful, most enjoyable part is teaching students and learning from colleagues.
Pros
Enough time to prepare for classes
Cons
none so far
The most place where tutors feel confident to work
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2016
We make sure our students are comfortable with the knowledge level where they supposed to be.We do many reviews to guide students important concepts so that they perfectly complete their exams. It is our pleasure to see our students feel confident when dealing with any problems which are similar to the ones that we have gone over.
High level professionals in higher education
Project Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 20, 2016
A very diverse higher education for professional looking to advance in the disciplines of specialty in education. I have learned the importance of team work and managing others. It is a fair and equitable environment where employee are empowered to learn and value others.
HCC Review
HCC Secretarial Helper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2016
For working only three days a week as first an intern at HCCS, I will say it was a rewarding experience for me. I got a chance to learn a bit of how it was like to work behind a computer and completing tasks required for what was needed to update HCC's website. I also had fun working with my employers.
Pros
Big paychecks
Cons
Was constantly moved between computers due to lack of private cubicle.
Underpays Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Katy NorthwestJuly 1, 2012
Adjunct salaries are considerably lower than what other community colleges offer. Thus, this creates a problem attracting and retaining quality staff. Chairs and management do the best they can with the limited tools they are given.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
no benefits, low pay, limited opportunities for advancement
Great Experience!
Adjunct Faculty - Government (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2016
Students are inquisitive and ready to learn; Government Department is great to work with! I work at the location on the Northwest side of Houston, travel time was excellent.
Excellent opportunities in this field
Enrollment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2016
Serve as primary customer service representative to promote and ensure students access, success, and to promote customer satisfaction.
Serve as a resource in providing general information over the phone, and in person to students, faculty, staff, and community.
Review various documents to assure students meet College course.
Verify and explain residency status based on state and federal regulations.
Assist students with establishing and meeting educational goals.
Pros
great meeting with lunch available
Cons
N/A
Productive working with students
Office Assistant/College Operations (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXMay 13, 2013
Houston Community College is a fun place to work for. You come in contact with a different diversty. I have learned how to deal with all different situation, attitudes, personalities and people just ingeneral. The management is good. My co-workers are all team players as I am. There is really now a hard part of the job unless you want to say the the phones rings off the hook sometime, other than that it's not hard. Is being at work dealing with the students and faculty.
Pros
Good benefits
nice environment and very friendly workplace
Assist people (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2016
I have learned so much from this job; at first i was not so good with making conversation with people, but this job has taken me out of my confront zone to the point where i just love having conversations, and assisting people with anything that may need to be done.
Great, Relaxed atmosphere
Hardware/Software Specialist (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2016
Great Management, by the book. Employee hiring standards could be a little higher, but generally things are handled well
Good leadership changes
Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2016
Nice place to work. The work is challenging and rewarding. New leadership are making great changes
Pros
Good work environment
Enjoyable
English Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2016
HCC is a very good place to work with friendly staff. They are very helpful and resourceful. My experience has been pleasant.
Proud to work at hcc
Clinical instructor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2016
The hardest part of this job is driving to work,and the fun part is my interaction with my students.My co-workers are very friendly, and very cooperative.
Lots of overtime available
SeniorTelecommunications Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2015
Daily details and duties of the job are great. Management and supervisors not so much. Would be nice to actually be involved in the department as a necessary entity.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lack of empathy specifically for dispatch center
Nice place to work
Jr. IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2015
Heavy workload, easy going culture, and management.
• Maintained PeopleSoft and Learning Wed account to state standards for 25 instructors.
• Repaired crashed Biology department issued field lap tops.
• Remodeled online navigation to student center for central college system.
• Programmed and tested new online student center for central website and Learning Web.
Pros
Good work enviorment
Cons
Lots of traffic
Nice place to work
Instructor, Adult Education/Harris County Jail (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2016
My experience here was great however, they go to great lenth to not offer benefits by limiting hours worked per week. Hourly pay was good but summers were hard being off work with no pay.
Pros
Hourly Pay
Cons
No benefits
Fun
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2015
I really enjoyed my experience with the YMCA members and staff. It provided an opportunity to meet with really great people. A typical day at work began 15 minutes prior to shift. My routine would be as follows: greet the staff, punch-in, speak with the team leader for any change updates, open a till for cash transactions and began helping potential members with questions and enrollment. The management are great! They set the tone for the day with broad smiles and burst of energy to keep the work environment fun and stimulating. They are very knowledgeable of the industry and take their professions very serious. It not just a job but, a life style for them. My co-workers were also great because, they carried the same spirit and attitudes of the management team. The hardest part of the job was during the summer months when there were children dropped off there early in the mornings and had to wait long periods of time before school and after to be picked up due to parents work schedule.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks during peak season

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2