HOUSTON COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION Employee Reviews

Eager to learn, Lives for Challenges, and Team player
Teacher, Houston County Crossroads Center (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 1, 2014
I am teacher who is looking for a challenging position where i can utilize my skills and knowledge that I have gained within my Ed S program, Curriculum and Instruction. I am currently enrolled in A doctoral program for Teacher Leadership at Kennesaw University. I am developing strategies and leadership abilities that will assist me in moving an educational organization forward with the latest research and data developments. A typical day is completing my lesson plan, handling discipline issues and corresponding with colleagues. I am knowledgeable of the policies and procedures to lead a successful school and know what resources are available to maximize my success (SIP, BST, Learning Forward Standards, TKES, LKES, and Data Overviews and Professional Development Opportunites with Best Practices and DI in mind). The hardest part of the job is doing all I need to within an eight hour day. The most enjoyable part of my day is learning and laughing with my students.
Pros
small staff
Cons
no breaks, no co lab time
Productive work and the caring of the children and making sure that they are taken care of in a safe and enjoyable setting.
Lunchroom Monitor (Current Employee) –  Perry, GAJune 26, 2014
A typical day is 3 hours of working with many children from Pre-K to 5th Graders for 30 minutes for each class. I have learned many things by working with my co-workers and with all the different types of children that we do have at the school where I work. I have also learned from many that work in the school including but not limited to teachers, principals, parents and others that visit our school. I enjoy working with my co-workers as we work together as a team always. The hardest part of the job is not having any benefits and not getting paid during holidays and summer months. If we are not working with the children in the lunchroom and or school is no open due to weather or holidays we as lunchroom monitors do not get paid nor are we allowed any over time what so ever. The most enjoyable part of the job is the love and caring for the children and from the children.
Pros
having a job to go to.
Cons
no benefits at all.
Productive, team building, good food
Mover (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAAugust 6, 2015
Each morning I would help load up the Semi - truck at 7:30 A.M. if it was not done from yesterday afternoon. When the Semi- truck was loaded we went to different schools and unloaded the textbooks and furniture and then we would go to another school and unload more items there. I learned how to lift properly from here and how to work with teens and adults with very different backgrounds than myself. The management and co-workers were alright although sometimes there was a lot of crude humor. The hardest thing about this job is not having a sense for why other people's behavior on the job is crude. The most enjoyable part of this job was the 1 hour lunch break and sometimes we would go out as a group to Pizza Hut.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks, air conditioned break room
Cons
co-workers humor could be crude, very short breaks other than lunch
Wonderful experience working with the students.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAMay 9, 2013
My dream job as a child. I learned a lot about driving school buses and road safety and hazards. I was exposed to the elements of heat, cold, and rain. The smiling faces and laughter of the student made my day go by faster to where I didn't want to leave them. Our school system is the best in the state of Georgia and my supervisors and transportation director made my employment there important. I was the youngest driver at age 18 at the time and at age 22 when I left. I left a tremendous mark behind the wheel and with great drivers who were great co-workers. I left for a different atmosphere and for a job where I can travel more than inside of the city.
Pros
great pay, raises, holiday and summer pay, and great benefits
Cons
weather conditions and help with discipline problems.
Great place to work! Administration is very supportive and understanding.
Art Instructor (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJune 28, 2015
As an art teacher you are always on the run, preparing for the next class, but the days fly by. You can always look to administration for support, help, and understanding. The hardest part of the job would be the time constraints for preparing between classes. The most enjoyable part of my day is when I see the eyes open wide when a student finally understands a more difficult concept. Students tend to come to art class with the same frame of learning as they do in other classes. Once they learn to "switch gears" they become excited and their love for art grows and grows and they want to learn more on their own. THAT makes me excited about my job!
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Short planning times and minimal restroom breaks.
Leading educational system
Guidance Counselor (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJuly 29, 2014
My job is reflective of a dynamic, challenging environment where educational success incorporates cognitive, physical, emotional, and social development for children. I have a tremendous responsibility coordinating efforts with students, parents, other educators, community members, and outside professional agencies to ensure that not success and achievement is sustained and individualized for maximum outcomes. It also incorporates closely monitoring, assessing, implementing interventions, and constantly adjusting educational priorities and techniques based on needs.
Pros
dynamic, flexible environment where result driven accomplishments are evident.
Cons
limited time to work with all students.
this was a good place to work not enough money and hour for the work.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Perry, GAApril 8, 2015
I started out in the early morning making and setting up for breakfast and serving and a short break than started lunch menu. learn how baking,cook,do fruit and vegetables for thousands of people, how put the daily paperwork in the computer,how to inventor,order and stock grocery.i learned how schedule people for work to work load.Learn how get a long with co-workers.the hardest part of this job was cleaning and stocking the stockroom, freezer,and cooler.the most enjoyable part of this job the trips,short vocation all year long.
Pros
free lunch, good trips, lots of vocation
Cons
short breaks, monthly pay
Took too many years off of my life
Educator (Current Employee) –  PerrySeptember 20, 2014
Without a doubt, all joking aside, my time with the Houston Count Board of Education was the worst experience of my life. I had no support from admin, who them selves were incompetent. Even if I were to turn to the "big man", the superintendent, I couldn't because he was being extorted for his adultery. All of the best of Houston county is a gilded facade. It prides itself on it "biggest and brightest" school, Veterans High. But it is only a matter of time before the skeletons of that admin leak into public view.
Pros
great peers, great kida
Cons
spineless admin who hide being their online doctoral degree
Great place to work, fun and lots of friendly folks
MEP Home/School Liaison (Former Employee) –  Perry, GAOctober 15, 2014
Great place to work, everyone is friendly and I acquired all my tutor skills there. Learned how to advocate for student's and their families and management always available when you needed them. Coworkers know how to work as a team. Hardest part of the job is when there aren't enough resources to help the student. Helping student's and the families was the most enjoyable
Pros
great training, guidance and coaching
Cons
could always use more funds to help out the student
Good company to work for
Student Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Perry, GAOctober 2, 2015
Loved everything about the first job with the BOE. Had great peers and supervisors. Left the position because of hour reduction. Took another position within the same department. In the second position, I loved my job but didn't get the administrative support necessary to provide quality services when needed. My coworkers and immediate supervisor were great.
I worked a substitue teacher in Houston County.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Erin, TNFebruary 23, 2013
I would go to one of the three schools where I lived as I was going to get my teaching degree. I had a variety of experience in Elementary and Middle School. I liked the home town environment as I performed as a teacher.
Pros
disciplined schools
Cons
temporary job
Productive, educational enviornment set up for successful learning.
Volunteer Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJanuary 16, 2014
Discussion on reading assignments given the previous day. Followed by a writing assignment designed to improve skills in writing, critical thinking, and overall learning.
Great place for student teachers.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Perry, GAJune 15, 2015
I've had a awesome work experience with the Houston County Board of Education, the employees are nice, very helpful and the staff at the Main building is phenomenal.
Pros
Working with the children.
Cons
I don't get paid but once a month.
very interesting work place
Lead Custodian (Former Employee) –  Perry, GANovember 1, 2014
Its a pretty descent environment to work in. You learn something new every now and then. The most enjoyable thing is working with the machines to keep things done in the proper way.
Pros
having a lot of holidays off.
Cons
benefits are to high.
produtive and fun place to work
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Perry, GADecember 25, 2012
the work day is very smooth going and all the worker get alongs well. The management is great and will listen to you if you have a problem. The hardest part of the job is the kids getting in your way.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
shorts breaks
rewarding by the children
Sub/Lunch Room (Former Employee) –  Houston, COJanuary 10, 2016
To work with the children is great, but some of the staff are very unfriendly and rude. They never really smile, they seem like they are upset and they are just not happy. Not a very positive work place to be at in the kitchen.
I really enjoyed working for Houston County BOE
Student Support Team Clerk (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GANovember 9, 2015
Working for HCBE allowed me the opportunity to meet new people, become more socially aware of children with special needs and to work with a variety of people from all walks of life.
Enjoyable
COMMERCIAL BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJuly 27, 2015
I love being able to be apart of all the children's lives. I love to see their smiling faces every morning. I love to hear about their days. It does get stressful at times, but overall it is a great job with good hours.
Work as much or little as you want
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAMay 23, 2012
You pick what level (elementary, middle or high school), what days and what subjects you would like to teach. Perfect for someone in school or someone who just wants part time work.
Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) –  Perry, GANovember 30, 2014
Great Co-workers, competitive pay, excellent benefits, eight hour workdays and some overtime is required. Great learning opportunities to advance, management is also great. Great job environment.