HOUSTON HOSPICE

HOUSTON HOSPICE United States Employee Reviews

Very dissatisfied
Bilingual PRN Continuous Care Nurse (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 11, 2014
The company is having management turnover I was promised full time in Dec and the company has not had the time or personnel to train me for in house work They have not had CC fired pt's so I could work on a regular basis
Very helpful and insightful place to work. Everyone is so helpful to each other.
CNA (Former Employee), El Campo, TexasNovember 24, 2013
Pros: supportive employees and administration, paid holidays
Houston Hospice is a very helpful place that takes care of people that are dying. They help to provide the best quality of life at the end stages of life. I would recommend Houston Hospice to anyone who has a loved one that is terminally ill. They have someone available 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year. I love this company and the people that work for it. We have monthly staff meetings and everyone provides support to other employees that need it. When my mom and my grandma passed away (2 years apart), they were there for me even though neither one of them were on Hospice. Those were difficult times, but they were so supportive that it helped my family and I through those difficult times.
Professional Work Environment
AllScripts Homecare EMR Trainer (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: interacting with patient's/families and staff
Cons: not enough staff
Day started out with me cleaning any/all returned rental equipment from the previous day, while at the same time filling Portable Oxygen Tanks for patients as well as replenishing adequate store par levels. Once those tasks were completed, I started my daily inventory counts while restocking merchandise in the front end of the store. Next came Purchasing, Shipping/Receiving and Product invoicing for the Accounts Receivable Department.

Roughest part of the job was receiving a 600 piece count delivery at 4:00 PM, and only having an hour to unload the truck and put away the supplies before my On-Call rotation started at 5:00 PM.

The most enjoyable part was interacting with patient's/families and Staff.
Decent Place
Anonymous (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 28, 2013
Pros: pay based on your position
Cons: high-stress job, poor management, tasks outside your job description
The pay scale is great based on your position. West office is the best location to work for. TMC and North leave something to be desired based on poor management. Stressful job, not just the aspect of dying patients. Large volume of work and tasked with things not in your job description. People are generally there for years simply to have a job. "Good old boy" mentality. The non-White employees and even some of the White employees there "coon" to appease racist management. One of the Chaplains is a racist. A typical day at work consists of putting out fires caused by lack of organization and consists of a heavy workload. Executive management would rather pay marketers a six-figure salary and pay end users (RN, LVN, HHA) pennies. Lack of training provided to new employees. It seems that no one knows what an employee does, so when the employee leaves, the new person has to "learn as they go." Meetings, meetings, and more meetings. They like to put you in meetings and other non-essential mundane time wasting events, but your excessive workload still remains at your desk when you get back. Parking at the TMC location is non-existent after a certain time. They are expanding that location IPU bedwise, but have not thought to create more parking. The new CEO came in 2010 (before my time) and runs it like corporate America. Per long-term employees, Houston Hospice was a "family" before the CEO came in 2010. Moral is low and team members constantly look for ways to get rid of the other team members. The enjoyable part of the job (based on your position) is the paycheck. You are usually – more... too busy to feel like you are rally helping people. Billing office tasks nursing staff with billing tasks, management tasks on-management with their tasks. I am all for delegation, but this company uses it incorrectly. I would not recommend this employer, unless you are looking for a good salary based on your position. The stress/workload outweighs your compensation. Not a good work/life balance. – less
Houston Hospice
Staff (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 10, 2013
Houston Hospice is a fulling place to work. The majority of the staff is understanding and extremely kind.
Hospice care
Case Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 20, 2012
Pros: mobility, freedom of arranging your work schedule
Cons: driving, late hours
Out-patient hospice case manager. Learned management skills in coordinating services for the care of hospice patients and their family members. Management was a little short. Co-workers were ok. Hardest part of the job was losing a patient. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you participated in easing the loss of a loved one and helping to make death a comfort to a dying patient.
Very nice place to work
Professional Liaison (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 17, 2012
Pros: building relationships
Cons: longer hours - but productive
Meeting with physicians, hospitals and families sharing with them the part hospice can play in their life plans. Very emotional but rewarding.