Houston Independent School District Employee Reviews

Politics damaging children
Dean of Instruction/Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 18, 2017
It is not what you know it is who you know. Lots of people who say the right things, but have no interest in implementing them. The best way to move up is not to be good, but to be popular.
Pros
Children
Cons
Political "Good Ole Boy" network
Unstable company for employees out of the classroom.
Campus Instructional Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 18, 2017
Houston Independent school District is the largest school district in Houston and offers various experiences to all employees on a day to day basis. For the most part I enjoyed educating student, training teachers in the area of technology as well as sponsoring students in both National Honor Society and yearbook club.
Pros
Free Summers
Cons
Unstable administrative positions - At will contacts.
Consistent and Stable
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2017
classroom management and instruction are large parts of working here. Provide one-on-one assistance during instruction while also keeping students on task. Maintain a safe space to learn
I enjoyed working with the staff and parents there.
Itinerant Speech Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 12, 2017
While working in Houston ISD I provided speech and hearing therapy to eligible students on a daily basis. I felt valued by the building administrators and parents.
Very calm, quiet work environment
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2017
A typical day, I'm lucky if I see anyone. There's so much to do that the time flies by. The holidays and breaks are the best and we can work from home if needed. The healthcare benefits are the worst. They're too expensive.
Teaching children is interesting and rewarding.
Social Studies Teacher, 6th and 7th Grades (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2017
My typical day started at 7am and ended at 3pm. I taught middle school social studies, so a lot of lesson planning, preparing materials and grading were required. The other teachers were very helpful.
Pros
Great vacation schedule.
Cons
There was a lot of grading.
teacher
First Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2017
Being a teacher is about the same from district to district. Here I felt a little left out to to figure things out on my own. My grade level team was awesome but as a whole, from administration, I felt forgotten.
Pros
grade level team is awesome
Cons
admins seem to have favorites
Great Experience
College Success Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2017
To know I played a part in helping students realize their dream of graduating from college is a feeling that can not be explained. It gives one a sense of purpose.
Loved seeing kids learn a subject that i find fascinating.
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2017
Tutored any level of math ranging from pre-algebra all the way to calculus. The tutors had their own tutoring room where we pulled students that were behind and personally tutored them one-on-one. Occasionally we would enter classes and help teachers with struggling students.
Pros
Learning eviroment
Cons
canceled our tutoring grant
It a good place to work
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2017
A typical day teaching student various subjects and making it fun while they learn. I learn from just a student receiving what I'm teaching. The management offers a lot of assistance. It's a good workplace culture, The harders part is a student not learning some of the subjects that are being taught. The most enjoyable is making that sutdent day.
Hisd
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 1, 2017
HISD is a good company to work for. I was an associate teacher. The process of booking daily assignments is super easy. The schools are pretty diverse, which prepares you for teaching your own class.
Productive and exilerating work environment
VIPS--Volunteers In Public Schools (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2017
Excellent company to work for an excellent learning environment with regard to my career as an educator. Very easy going work environment sometimes are more challenging than others. A pure joy to interact with students and their ability to grasp material gives me pure joy. The educators I shadowed as a volunteer were very helpful and forthcoming with useful information to assist me in my endeavor to become an educator.
Pros
career advancement
Cons
Too much emphasis on standardized testing as opposed to actual teaching.
bureacratic, autocratic and chaotic
Algebra II Instructor and Head Tennis Coach (Current Employee) –  Lamar HSAugust 29, 2017
there is no respect for teachers from administration, its like a sweat shop. and no respect from students, neither parents. The administration does not really care for the quality of education but for the appearance of it as it is conveyed on paperwork.
It a nice place to work .
Tree pruner , roll-off container inspection (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2017
If your looking for great benefits with fair pay & a place to retire , Houston.i.s.d is a good place to do so . They have lots of paid days off , paid vacation , paid sick time , paid personal leave , excellent benefits .
Pros
1hour lunch
Cons
Pay rate ok but not not accurate
Great chances
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2017
This company is great to work at, the supervisor's give new employees the chance to learn and advance in your career. Send you to classes to help improve your current work skills.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Relocated
Working for HISD was a mixed blessing in that some days were highly stressful and busy, but some days were slow and boring.
Sr. Secretary, Purchasing Department (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
For me, the most enjoyable part of the job was learning the ins and outs of the state bidding system and being able to explain and therefore help the business representatives wishing to do business with the district. There were some personnel issues, however, that could have been better handled by management.
Pros
Generous sick and vacation days
Cons
Getting to work through the Houston traffic
Very Stressful place to work
First/Second Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burnett ElementaryAugust 18, 2017
Houston Independent School District is very a very stressful place to work. It is such a large place with so many different needs and not enough resources to meet the needs.
Excellent challenge to maintain safety and discipline for precious cargo
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2017
*Typical day at work is to expect the unexpected, and provide a positive solution
*Everyone is capable of teaching you something you did not know
*Managers are people too, and deserve our empathy
*Diversity culture is an enrichment exercise
*The hardest part of this job is knowing when to respectfully say NO.
*The most enjoyable part of the job is a parent's smile
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2017
I love collaborating with people. It is extremely rewarding to work with children and help them learn and to grow.
The hardest part is to be evaluated weekly. Teachers teach because they love what they do. It is extremely time consuming to prepare each lesson.
Pros
Children
Cons
Evaluations
Creative workplace environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Furr High SchoolAugust 15, 2017
Each day is different when it comes to teaching. Everyday is an learning experience being that you are dealing with the youth. Management really has to think outside the box and be creative. The workplace culture is extremely diverse being that the environment is a multi cultural setting. The most challenging aspect is having patients and understanding that every individual learns and solve problems in their own way. One of the most enjoyable benefits is the end result, when you see students and team members applying their academics to their lifestyles.
Pros
Sharpening leadership ability, multi cultural workplace

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Independent School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Houston Independent School District Reviews by Location