Houston Independent School District

Houston Independent School District Employer Reviews

fun place to work
Crossing Guard (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 19, 2014
a typical day at work would consist of getting the kids safely across the intersection. I learned that you have to have patience and be very careful when dealing with children. the hardest part of the job was trying to work a four way intersection by myself.
No comment
Instructor (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 17, 2014
Cons: not enough opportunities to use the restroom, insurance is horrible, students & parents are not held accountable for actions, excessive paper work, teacher apprasial process is lengthy and unacceptable
HISD needs to be re-vamped under new leadership. The district is more concern about numbers (i.e. test scores) and how things look on paper instead of the students success.
Safe and fun enviroment
Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 15, 2014
As an Intern, I only worked with students. I mentored them in their behavior and academic issues. I learned to manage hard situations. I also learned how to work with co-workers and when to go to them for help. I enjoyed working with students. I learned to keep great communications, not only with them, but also with their teachers and parents.
Fun workplace
Consultant - Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 11, 2014
Responsible for the most fundamental level of community service and customer service; Counsel students and resolve student conflicts and be the point of contact for student referral services; Conduct bi-weekly student meetings in building, weekly reports and coordinate monthly educational/social programs; Enforce the procedures and policies of University – more... College; Implement new programs and activities for freshmen engagement and academic awareness. – less
ISS Educator
In School Suspension Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2014
The job requirements I was instructed to provide as a (In School Suspension Teacher) was established for the purpose/s of overseeing students assigned to in school suspension (ISS, Recovery, Time Out, etc.); documenting student behavior; providing information to teachers, administrators and/or other personnel; and assisting in various building activities – more... as assigned. – less
Flexible Scheduling
Associate Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 27, 2014
When teachers have to take off from from work, it is importnant for students to continue to gain an educataion. This is where Associate Teachers come into play. As an associate teacher, I am responsible for making sure that a quality education is still provided to students while their permanent teachers are out.
Productvie
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 23, 2014
Pros: pick up a lot of over time
Cons: no work during the summer. no career advancement
 Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules
 Read maps, and follow written and verbal geographic directions
 Responsible for assigned field trips
 Prepare and submit reports that may include the number of passengers or trips, hours worked, mileage, fuel consumption, and/or fare received
Rewarding place to work with potential for growth.
Instructional Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 20, 2014
Houston ISD is an excellent school district that allows you to grow as a teacher, with support and fostering from caring mentors.
Very productive and exciting workplace.
PLANT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 9, 2014
the most enjoyable part of this job is the instructiveness with the students.
3 Thumbs up!
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 7, 2014
MD Anderson was a great place to start my professional career. I learn a lot from management and will forever be grateful for the opportunity.
Very Educational
Instructional Support Staff / Librarian (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 5, 2014
I am learning a lot in the field of Education through my experience as a Instructional Staff Support Specialist.
Benefits, job culture, friendly staff, management, positive atmosphere
School Social Worker (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 5, 2014
Pros: the staff is like family. again, the job is challenging yet fun.
Cons: may not get a lunch break
There is no such thing as a typical day as each day is different which is why I love my job. You never know what your day may look like. It may start off with a schedule that can easily be interruped with a crisis. I have learned to be flexible, and be ready to play whatever role is needed at the time. I have had to leave to go be with a student that – more... had to go to the hospital. I have had to stay with a student who might be homicidal or suicidal until their parent arrrives. I have had days where we just put out fires, because of bullying issues. The hardest part of the job is being able to prioritize my priorities. The most enjoyable part of my job is everyday is a new day. I get to be the light for some child, parent, staff member. My job is new and refreshing everyday, and I can truly say I have not taken a job that I have not been satisfied with or leaders I can't follow. – less
Stable place to work.
Associate Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 4, 2014
The parents and students are wonderful, but the owner of the school is very shrewd, money hungry, and does not have the best interest of her staff. Be careful if you get hire here, because even if you sign a contract, you will not get the money that is rightfully owed to you, and you will be blocked from receiving any unemployment.
Teaching is my calling
Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 23, 2014
Six great years making a contributions to young lives. Now it is time to take these skills to another level.
Review
Teacher - Elementary Education (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 21, 2014
Pros: schedule
Cons: crowded classrooms
Great schedule. Typical teacher's workload. Depending on what svhool you are at it can be a dream job.
The kids are awesome
Special Education/ Behavior Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 16, 2014
Pros: schedule. summers off holidays off
Cons: career advancement
Working with children is a reward , however my passion is training and Human Resources. Working at HISD has taught me how to manage and multi- task, how to deal with irrate people (parents) face to face. The hardest part of the job is getting attached to the kids.
Average overall rating
Partnership Liaison (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 7, 2014
8:30-5:30 work day
I have learned how to better secure new clients
Nice place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 3, 2014
Pros: convenient
Cons: political
I started as a carpenter and then after 2 years became a supervisor
Great place to work is you have small children.
Manager State Reporting Field Trips/ R and S (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 3, 2014
Pros: vacation schedules
Cons: poor management, very political
HISD just like any other school district is a great place to work if your passionate about educating our youth.
Expereince depends on Campus
Teacher: English Language Arts and Reading (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 2, 2014
I have had my share of good administrations and some that need work. Overall I appreciate HISD for every opportunity I have had. Your experience as a teacher really depends on the campus and the campus culture.

1 2 3 4 5