Houston Independent School District Employee Reviews in United States

Houston Independent School District is Incredible
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2016
Houston ISD offers training and very well qualified trainers for any professional Development that one may need or be interested in taking. Houston ISD offers competitive pay scales as compared to other districts. The personnel in Houston ISD are helpful and professional.
Pros
Excellent training
It is a good place to work
Payroll TRS Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston TexasJuly 19, 2016
I enjoy the people, my duties, and my learning thus far. HISD has taught me a lot. I am excited about the SAP project and all that I have learned about this new experience.
Pros
The work I do is extremely challeging, rewarding, and makes me think everyday.
Teacher 7th grade Texas History
Francis Scott Key Jr. High (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2016
Houston ISD has undergone many changes over its history. The year I was hired was the first year of court-enforced desecration of the Houston schools. It was a challenging experience for all teachers, administration, students and parents.
Pros
1st Teaching contract
Cons
Court mandated changes
Great Place to Work
5th and 2nd Grade Teacher, Burbank Elementary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2016
My day started at 7:45, where we ate breakfast in the classroom. Learning started at 8:00 a.m. Reading and phonics were our morning block. Restroom breaks thrown in there as we took group restroom breaks. I was located in the furthest portable from the school. I would do a mini-lesson, facilitate student learning, and would work with students in small group based on their reading level. We then would go to specials, and then onto language arts. Small-group learning was also provided for this subject, as was every other subject. Lunch and recess followed. Then, we did our math rotations and wrapped up the school day with science and social studies. Then we would prepare for dismissal. I had bus duty. We wrote rigorous lesson plans weekly and used most of our time outside the school to complete duties as such. I learned something everyday. I absolutely loved my co-workers and my admin. The hardest part of the job would be documenting my troubled-children. This is just because I would have to take notes during the day and then transcribe them onto Review 360 (our documentation tool) after school. The best part of my job was when a student grasped what was being taught and enjoying it. I absolutely love being a teacher and do not have anything too hard that I couldn't deal with. I developed positive relationships with each student. I enjoy my job, and absolutely love fostering the minds of children. I want to be that teacher, where in 20 years, my students remember me as being someone inspirational.
Pros
Supportive admin, great co-workers
Cons
Construction for a new edition created a problem for parking this year
Enjoy teaching the students and seeing their happy faces
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2016
The hardest part of the job was teaching students who did not want to learn in grades 6-8, so no longer interested in teaching them.
I had a great time with grades PreK-2 and high school. Some of the teachers were not friendly.
Should be paid more for the work
Pros
45 minute planning time, healthcare benefits throughout the year
Cons
No pay during holidays and summer break/some schools did not turn in payroll
Fast track work environment.
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2016
Large school district with many district based resources available to assist campus leadership.

Experiences will vary depending on the individual campus Principal.
Pros
Opportunity to advance.
Cons
Decentralized district.
Job Coach
Employment Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2016
Train students with disabilities on community job sites to obtain employment on real life jobs in the community as well as assist students with resume writing and interviewing skills.
Pros
Watching students achieve goals and dreams.
Cons
Public opinions
Satisfaction when you can impact child lives.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2016
Working with kids is very rewarding, specially when you see happiness in kids faces when they are able to accomplish any task that they were failing before.
Pros
Kids are very active and curious, for us as adults helps to boost our energy.
Cons
lack of fringe benefits for associate teachers.
Great environment to grow and give back
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 8, 2016
I worked with kids of all ages and abilities and I found that they all needed someone to be a leader and understanding entity. I had many helpers in each school and used each classroom for educational and life skills at every chance. I love being apart of the children lives. I learned to be patient, spontaneous, resourceful, and more open to people different from me.

I am a product of HISD, so, my management and co-workers were my teachers and coaches. They were very receiving of me and made sure I did not make "rookie mistakes". The hardest part is that we have long way to go with the parental involvement with HISD. We can only do so much as teachers, then we send them home.
Pros
lunch break, flexible schedule, lesson plans
Cons
no health benefits for subs
Great Place
GENERAL CLERK II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2016
Great place to work. I love work with the children. I also love having the summers off as well as having time off during spring and Christmas breaks.

Want to know more about Houston Independent School District?

Ask a question
no one their believe in team work outside other cultures
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2016
the hardest part of being apart of the department I was in,it was a culture barrier for me plus it was hard to fit in.Its so hard to be promoted due to not being able to communicate as well.
Pros
benifits
Cons
no breaks
Work Experience
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2016
I enjoyed working for the district. Personnel office is always prompt in answering questions. Most co-workers were friendly. Working with the students was a great experience as respect was gained from all. My first year ended well with the students.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
long wait before 1st check.
Punitive Environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 21, 2016
Lack of leadership from the top. Mismanaged funds. Punitive environment for learning. Unfriendly work environment. Unrealistic expectations and workload,
Pros
Regular pay
Cons
Difficult to use the restroom, unclean work environment and punitive environment
Affordable Benefits
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 21, 2016
Morning duty consists of monitoring students when they arrive, make sure they get to class and assist them when needed, lunch duty consists of assisting them such as helping them clean up if they made a mess, open milks, take them to the nurse if they are feeling sick etc, and the rest of the time just follow your schedule provided by one of your admins.
Great Employer
Associate Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2016
Great learning experience, supportive administration endearing student population. My only complaint is that Associate Teachers don't receive holiday pay.
Life at school.
Dedicated Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 16, 2016
The typical day starts early and the better part of the job is interacting with students. The bulk of the days activities are generally in a lesson plan but when one ISN'T available a good sub has to gather any classroom materials at his/her disposal and create an assignment to keep the students engaged.
Pros
Interaction with young people who enjoy learning, working in the company of men and women dedicated to society at large.
Cons
Interaction with young people who don't appreciate the value of an education, leadership more concerned with looking good on paper than in kids learning ANYTHING, a quasi-corporate culture which thinks education can be ran as a business.
Engaged and productive environment
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 16, 2016
My typical day at work is evolved with ensuring that students have ongoing learning. Managing and creating a safe learning environment. Also working as a team member
Pros
Helping students continue learning process
Cons
Short breakes
Houston ISD Teacher
7th Grade Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2016
I was able to teach Social Studies at a Houston ISD middle school for one year. It was a larger school than I was accustomed to, and I did not realize the challenges that would present themselves as a result. I also joined this team during a transition year, as a result, the culture was shifting and there were many challenges to overcome.
I really enjoy working for HISD because I like working with children and helping them with their education.
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2016
I began my employment with HISD in 1998 as a teacher assistant. I continued being a teacher assistant until 2007, when I graduated college. I left HISD for a while and returned as a Substitute Teacher in 20015. I had always wanted to become a teacher, but circumstances will have it that I took an approach to a different career path.
Pros
I get to take part in a child's learning experience.
Cons
Sometimes a child may exhibit inappropriate behaviors.
I have enjoyed the years with HISD thus far.
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 11, 2016
Some of the years and experiences have been great. There are others that have not been as enjoyable. Experiences vary from campus to campus and situation to situation.

Houston Independent School District Reviews by Location