Houston Independent School District

Houston Independent School District Employer Reviews

Busy workplace
Teacher's Aide/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2014
Cons: short lunch breaks, too much responsibility on 1 person
Work place can be stressful at times, not much teamwork. Very unstable environment, staff changes quite a bit through the year.
Flexible schedule and summers off.
Associate Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 29, 2014
Pros: set your own work schedule.
Cons: instability
I love the versatility that Associate Teaching offers from ages to subject matters.
The students and parents were a joy to work with!
Teacher, 7th Science (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 12, 2014
Pros: curriculum
The school was culturally diverse and the curriculum was innovative and engaging!
productive workplace
Food Service Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 11, 2014
Pros: awsome with great crew members.
A typical day at work is very rewarding, the students and staff are very appreciative of our efforts.
Positive work place
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 31, 2014
Pros: good benefits and time off during holiday season
Cons: disadvantage of meeting time deadlines because of traffic and construction
Positive work place with an understanding of rules and regulations for driving and driver safety. Patience with children, how to deal with medical emergencies as a first responder.

Time management was important because the students had to be on time for classes.

The hardest part of the job was meeting time lines while dealing with Houston traffic – more... congestion and construction.

The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the excited faces of the children riding the buses. – less
A productive learning experience daily
Teacher/Librarian (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 24, 2014
Pros: hollidays
Cons: weather emergency
In the classroom I was extremely prepared daily to introduce and maintain learning experiences for my students in all areas of teaching, such as reading, writing, math, history, English, and other disciplines. I kept the students motivated and engaged in positive learning experiences while reinforcing objectives presented that needed to be reinforced. – more... I tried to be consistant each day with each child giving each child individual help. At the end of the day the child would go home with some new knowledge. I worked with my peers sharing ideas. I got along with them also. The hardest part of the day was the evening, leaving the classroom to go home. – less
Productive work environment
Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 22, 2014
Pros: many breaks such as summer, spring break etc...
Cons: short breaks, healthcare
The most enjoyable part is seeing the smile on your students face when they learn something new.
Great and Fun Staff
Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 10, 2014
A melting pot of students with a multitude of experiences, backgrounds and differences, that work beautifully together.
Fast pace, teaching, training and troubleshooting.
DEAN& INSTRUCTIONAL LEADER (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 3, 2014
Pros: great data management systems
HISD a technically advance urban school district. As a Dean of Student I have gained experience and exposure to multiple areas of management such as human capital, operations, project and procedures.
fun place to work
Crossing Guard (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 19, 2014
a typical day at work would consist of getting the kids safely across the intersection. I learned that you have to have patience and be very careful when dealing with children. the hardest part of the job was trying to work a four way intersection by myself.
No comment
Instructor (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 17, 2014
Cons: not enough opportunities to use the restroom, insurance is horrible, students & parents are not held accountable for actions, excessive paper work, teacher apprasial process is lengthy and unacceptable
HISD needs to be re-vamped under new leadership. The district is more concern about numbers (i.e. test scores) and how things look on paper instead of the students success.
Safe and fun enviroment
Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 15, 2014
As an Intern, I only worked with students. I mentored them in their behavior and academic issues. I learned to manage hard situations. I also learned how to work with co-workers and when to go to them for help. I enjoyed working with students. I learned to keep great communications, not only with them, but also with their teachers and parents.
Fun workplace
Consultant - Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 11, 2014
Responsible for the most fundamental level of community service and customer service; Counsel students and resolve student conflicts and be the point of contact for student referral services; Conduct bi-weekly student meetings in building, weekly reports and coordinate monthly educational/social programs; Enforce the procedures and policies of University – more... College; Implement new programs and activities for freshmen engagement and academic awareness. – less
ISS Educator
In School Suspension Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2014
The job requirements I was instructed to provide as a (In School Suspension Teacher) was established for the purpose/s of overseeing students assigned to in school suspension (ISS, Recovery, Time Out, etc.); documenting student behavior; providing information to teachers, administrators and/or other personnel; and assisting in various building activities – more... as assigned. – less
Flexible Scheduling
Associate Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 27, 2014
When teachers have to take off from from work, it is importnant for students to continue to gain an educataion. This is where Associate Teachers come into play. As an associate teacher, I am responsible for making sure that a quality education is still provided to students while their permanent teachers are out.
Productvie
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 23, 2014
Pros: pick up a lot of over time
Cons: no work during the summer. no career advancement
 Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules
 Read maps, and follow written and verbal geographic directions
 Responsible for assigned field trips
 Prepare and submit reports that may include the number of passengers or trips, hours worked, mileage, fuel consumption, and/or fare received
Rewarding place to work with potential for growth.
Instructional Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 20, 2014
Houston ISD is an excellent school district that allows you to grow as a teacher, with support and fostering from caring mentors.
Very productive and exciting workplace.
PLANT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 9, 2014
the most enjoyable part of this job is the instructiveness with the students.
3 Thumbs up!
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 7, 2014
MD Anderson was a great place to start my professional career. I learn a lot from management and will forever be grateful for the opportunity.
Very Educational
Instructional Support Staff / Librarian (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 5, 2014
I am learning a lot in the field of Education through my experience as a Instructional Staff Support Specialist.

1 2 3 4 5