Houston ISD

Houston ISD Employee Reviews

good, friendly, and fun work environment
Food Service Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 21, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: healthcare
fun and friendly work environment, that has opportunity for growth. They reach out to help and feed the community. it has great benefits.
Great part time job for students
Hourly Lecturer (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 29, 2015
Pros: Good hourly wage and learning experience
Cons: Part time not enough hours a week
I have a great part time job for students still in school, great learning experience for students looking to pursue a career in child care or teaching
Potential
Program Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 18, 2015
Good district to work for. Good benefits and opportunities for growth. Teachers would benefit from the training opportunities. Large urban district.
Great place to be.
General Clerk (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 9, 2015
Even though I wish I could have got on permanently on, I was not able to, but was a great place to work for. I liked the staff and helping out in what ever task that needed to get done.
Needs alot of cultivation and support from admin to the special populations department
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: Set work schedule
Cons: Lack of growth
Poor leadership and accountability within the special populations dept.
Disconnect between admin/leadership and the special populations department
Lack of inclusiveness for the members of the special populations department and lack of knowledge on the part of the admin.
Lack of support and respect.
Working as an substitute
Associate Teacher (Degreed) (Former Employee), Houston, TexasMay 12, 2015
Pros: help children reach a diffirent milestone
Cons: breaks
Working with HISD is great. There is no typical work day as you are constantly busy with children in the classroom. Co-workers are great team players. The hardest part of the job is dealing with different emotions among the students. The most enjoyable is when you see the smile on a child's face when they have had a better grade then they expected.
teacher/esl
teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 12, 2015
Cons: healthcare
HISD has an enormous English as a Second Language population. The need for ESL and bilingual teachers is always ongoing and the salary is acceptable.
great place
Clerk II (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 5, 2015
Working here has giving me a lot of knowledge. But, the job came become boring. They switch up Managment to much and they don't know what they are doing.
CACP
Counselor ACP (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 16, 2015
The people are very professional and enjoy ensuring employees are successful. I work in Houston TX. This is my review of the CACP.
A welcoming environment where there is never a dull moment.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 10, 2015
Working as a teaching assistant have opened my eyes to many aspects of the education system. A typical day consists of: morning cafteria duty to monitor the students that arrive early, following my scheduled inclusions sessions with the special education students that I work with, a planning period to figure out what assignments/activities will be reviewed the following day, and finally assisting with the dismissal of bus riders. I have been very fortuante to be able to work with individuals that are passionate about what they do, and I have learned a great deal from them. The hardest part about my job is finding ways to accomodate each individual to ensure that the student recieves a maximal learning experience.
N/A
Bus Operator (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 5, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Operate the School bus in a safe and efficient way according to relevant legislation, policies and procedures
Perform daily safety and maintenance checks
Clean the bus as scheduled
Ensure the bus is safely and securely stored in its parking slot
Advise Senior Mechanic Officer of any requirements for maintenance and repairs
Houston ISD Hourly Lecturer
Hourly Lecturer (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 4, 2015
Pros: the pay is ok.
If you get a job at a decent school with decent students and decent parents it will make your work life easier to deal with. However, Hourly Lecturers are mostly needed at schools that lack that. Therefore, you will most likely be in an Inner City School with Inner City Youth that most of the time do not know how to act.
Tough Environment with Restrictions
Business Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Very tough working environment. Schools have changed since the implementation of No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top. Schools have changed from educating students to focusing on testing standards only.
Great Place for College Students
Transportation (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: work at your own pace and split shift
Cons: part time only
Day to day interaction with children and parents. If you are looking for a way to make decent money while in school I would suggest this route.
Lots of Opportunity for growth
Bilingual School Counselor (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: administrative team
Cons: turnover
I learned lots at this employer because much was expected, training was mandatory and I performed a variety of duties that were new to me.
Very tense and non stop problem solving environment
SpEd Dept. Chair (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: partial summer off
Cons: poor training and communication
After years in education, this position and district has made me seriously consider a career change.
Hard works that's rewarding!
Academic Trainer (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 30, 2014
Pros: student growth
I truly love working with my students, community, colleagues and support teams! I have worked in this district over time for good reasons. I love teaching and learning in the Houston area! It is a growing,diverse metropolitan area with exciting changes occuring within the district each year! I have learned so much as an educator and leader and look forward to challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.
Classroom
Associate Teacher (Current Employee), Houston TexasDecember 22, 2014
A typical day in the classrooms managing students in the absence of their teacher is both challenging and rewarding. Since I have been an Associate Teacher with HISD, my classroom management skills have improved tremendously because I have a developed a attribute for reaching students and helping them to understand what behavior is appropriate for the classroom. Having been at the school where I am presently working for four years as a long term substitute, I have come in contact with many different teachers in all grade levels who have been very helpful to me when I need information regarding the TEKS or a lesson plan for the absent teacher.I would say the hardest part of y position is just coming into the classroom. As an Associate Teacher, I have learned that students must confirm to my environment and not the other way around and in that aspect, it truly depends on the environment of the previous teacher meaning if the previous teacher had no classroom management, it would make it harder for me to confirm the students to my environment of calmness and learning. The most enjoyable part of my position is to see the anxious faces of students who are willing to learn and want to learn more.
hard work but days off are excellent
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 11, 2014
Pros: fun play to work
Cons: no real training and manager is new so has no clue about houston isd
answer phone and check email all day.
interaction with depts. and schools all day long.
Worst Working Environment/Industry I've Ever Worked
Supervisor, Analytical/Administration Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 22, 2014
Cons: see above review, too much to list
The following review below is in reference to my experience with this company for the last five years...

This place is extremely toxic, stressful and very imbalanced. The organization and structure is at best all over the place at any given time. I have exuded nothing but top performance (I rank each year in the top 5% when it comes to excellence and performance) but have felt as if I've been treated like I don't matter regardless of how well I've done for years.

I've received highly effective employee award letters; however, the culture never seems to match up to professional standards, fairness and expectations. Every day is unpredictable and the favoritism is just starting to be too much. I have never felt that anyone I've ever worked with whomever has been afforded the ability to move forward has ever truly earned it (or that it is a real reflection of their qualification or credentials), it's seemingly about who you know and who can help you get the job [modern day nepotism].

The letters and awards is all a front; it's not about what your credentials are, but rather, if they [the people who are able to delegate your career advancement] like you and if you are friends with someone at the district office.

Every day is almost depressing. The students are not respectful in my experience, the parents are not supportive and have no accountability and thinks that it's okay to send their children to school without values, morals, or discipline in my experience, and the administrators are inexperienced or are hardly ever willing to do the right thing, and any of the above group will throw others under the bus at a moment's notice.

I've truly tried to start anew each year, but it truly only seems to get worse and worse. I hope that future professionals who choose to enter the education to do so with caution, as it could be rewarding, but in this day and time, it's 100% politics 0% truly for the growth, balance, and future of our children.

1 2 3 4