Houston ISD

Houston ISD Employer Reviews

same as previous stated
same as previous stated (Former Employee), same as previous statedAugust 25, 2014
same as previous stated -
-day at work, learned, management, workers, job, and enjoyable part of job
Big business and little education
Associate Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 4, 2014
Classroom educators are responsible for everything, but given little to no authority and often limited resources. We are tasked with creating global citizens, who are compassionate, competitive, creative, principled and environmentally sensitive. However the management frequently lacks character and are simply good at documentation.
Physical Educator/ Leader
Foundations of Personal Fitness Curriculum Writer (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 3, 2014
Pros: 90 minute plnning period
Cons: short lunch, large classes
I co-teach with another coach, I have learned alot about teamwork, communication, delagting tasks, conflict reolution and managing large numbers of students.
Houston ISD District a Growing school district in Texas
Bus Operator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 13, 2014
Pros: interreacting with my fellow in luncheons and parties in the work place.
Cons: employees benfits and health insurance
Each employee can grow with Texas number one school district in Texas. I learn to be patience , work hard to be accepted for my outstanding performance on the job . I work happy with managment and co-workers to do the best.
living life
TEACHER AIDE/ CLERK II (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 10, 2014
Pros: go the extra mile
Cons: do not know when to stop and relax
I wake up and pray that I will be the best that I can in the hours I am awake and away from my family. when at work I DO MY VERY BEST they call the "THE WORK HORSE" because, I'm everywhere helping out where ever is needed I dedicate myself to my job. and those around me . I am the person to get the job done. I am the go to person, the filler, where – more... their is a need for assistance I'm dependable. and when I am not working I am spending time with my 2 grand kids rolling on the fool or and the water park. and being a mother is awesome I have 3 great kids all grown and I am loving life. – less
Very fun place to work. The staff was like family.
PPCD Teacher Assistant/Cheerleading Coach (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 19, 2014
With my job as a PPCD Teacher Assistant I learnt a lot of communication skills. It was very crucial for the Lead Teacher and myself to communicate and work with each other. We always had to be on the same page. Teamwork is everything. I also learnt to have a lot of patience. That is key when working with children with special needs. The hardest part – more... of my job was the physical abuse. I worked with autistic children, and a lot of times I would get hit, pinched, punched, kicked, and so on. There was also a lot of lifted since we have wheelchair students as well. The most enjoyable part was seeing the improvement in the children. They meant everything to me. On the cheerleading side, I learnt to be a role model for my cheerleaders. They looked up to me. Cheerleading is a passion of mine, so I enjoyed every aspect of it. – less
Stability uncertain
4th Grade ELA/Social Studies/ESL Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 9, 2014
Pros: summers off
Cons: teachers are made to feel expendible
Administration is tough on their teachers. Teachers are made to feel expendable.
Great co-workers, faults in "the system"
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 6, 2014
Pros: great pto at the school, overall good benefits (health/retirement/holidays)
Cons: high stress
I worked there for 5 years and can easily say that one of the main reasons I stuck around for so long was because of the great coworkers I had at my particular campus. Unfortunately, schools are becoming more and more political and the culture of fear is taking over. Many teachers are overworked due to lack of funding which results in huge class loads. – more... In addition, because appraisals are largely tied to standardized test results and politics within the schools and the district, many good teachers are not fairly appraised or compensated. – less
Youngest employee
Associate Tutor & Assistant Principal Clerk (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 29, 2014
Since I started working so young, it was hard for the children to respect me as an adult. The staff treated me as a child also. Some of them weren't really professional and brought a lot of personal issues to work. They didn't really tell me what to do or expect either. A lot of the time I had to find things out for myself. I did make the best of it – more... because the students confided in me, and I could help them with problems they were having in school. It helped me gain their respect and helped them bring up their grades. – less
Nice place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 16, 2014
Pros: great principal
Cons: pay was low
Worked my way up from a clerk to the administrative assistant to the principal of one of the largest high school's in Houston. I really enjoyed working with the kids.
competitive district
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee), Shadydale ElementaryApril 5, 2014
HISD is an urban district that wants students to succeed, if you want to to work in a diverse district a variety of schools
Fun place to work
Teacher Assistant / Tutor (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 2, 2014
Had fun working with students.
Typical day at work would be helping the teacher set up for the day make copies arrange the desk once lecture is given assignment passed out, any students with a question i would go assist.
There is no respect for teachers at all.
Teacher (Current Employee), HoustonMarch 22, 2014
Cons: long days (tutorials before, during, and after school), you have no time to plan or grade anything during your working hours, get the job done on your own time.
These are not good days to be a teacher. Administrators, students, and parents have no respect and consideration for teachers.
great
Pest Control, Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 20, 2014
i love this job, but i had to move on. my co-workers we were like family, the job was so easy
Positive family environment
Stadium Concessions, Cashier/Sales (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 10, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: weather outside but covered
This is a great part time job. You get to meet the families of some of your current and past students. Most people are really friendly. We enjoy having fresh, hot food for our customers and pride in serving ice cold drinks during the summer months. Enjoy meeting and serving people. Friendly atmosphere.
TRUCK DRIVER
Mechanic - Automotive (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2014
PRODUCTIVE AND EFFECTIVE WORKPLACE THAT WILL ENABLE ME TO UTILIZE MY EXPERIENCE.
A great place to work at
Bilingual Instructional Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2014
I was the bilingual teacher aide to several teachers. I would work one on one with students who needed support in the classroom. Assisted the teacher with whatever needs she/he needed for classroom or students.
Great student base
Director Academy of Engineers (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: over crowded classes
Chavez has a great student population. They always keep you up beat and updated on current technology or happenings.
It depends
Teacher (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2014
It's a tough job being made tougher when you have to fight those who should be working with you.
Long hours needed for success
Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 24, 2013
Pros: photo ops & students might give you gifts
Cons: no breaks, very short lunches, poor admin
When I first started teaching at HISD, I thought you went home when everything was ready for the next day. After 7 years, I went home late, after 6pm, almost EVERY day. There were other teachers that hit the road as soon as the sign out sheet was available in the office. They knew that they were being asked to do the impossible and had a rather successful – more... way of handling the very long to-do-list. If it can't be done by 3:15, it's not happening today. So employees at HISD need to enjoy long hours or deny that there's 17 hours worth of work to do in 5 hours. – less

1 2 3