Houston Methodist Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work.A very friendly Patient and family care center
PATIENT REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77030November 14, 2016
A typical day for me begins a 6:30a.m. meeting and greeting patients and family members assisting demographic part of their clinic visit. .Over the last 3 years I have learned so much about the transplant process.The hardest part about my job was working under staffed for a fast expending transplant clinic.The most enjoyable part was seeing the faces on patients faces that come out of the transplant process healthy with their new organs.
Pros
parking, patients, spiritual environment
Cons
understaffed, not enough eating options, 30 minute lunch break
Very organized
Registered Nurse, BSN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 24, 2016
The charge nurse would make sure we got breaks. Floor manager very in tune with what was going on, on the floor. I learned to work on committees in working toward a solution to a specific problem. My co-workers were mostly independent in working by themselves. The hardest part of my job was seeing patients in pain that could not be controlled. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing patients come in debilitated and able to walk out on their own at discharge.
Pros
Had a floor manager and charge nurse
Cons
Off site parking
Learning new things in this field of work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2016
Contacting the doctor to inform him of hospital call and checking with interns on stats.

Learning all the various aspects of psychological problems that individual could have. Learning that prominent figures were actually being treated for psychological problems.

Actually management is this position was the best hands on experience I had. The doctor was very interested in making sure I understood this aspect of medicine and each client needed special care. I was taught to take every phone call seriously because the clients were very fragile.

I appreciated every aspect of this position.
Pros
Constant learning
Cons
Unable to work on permanent basis
Houston Methodist is faith based hospital. It also practices holistic care using evidence based practice
Clinical Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Willow Brook, TXNovember 9, 2016
Start with 4 to 5 acute/chronic patients. Perform full assessment on my assigned patients. Perform all physicians orders for patients. Update daily care plans with patients participation. Work in collaboration with charge nurse to meet patient's needs. Most enjoyable part of my job is when positive results or a life is saved from given out best nursing care and acting promptly to any changes in patients' condition.The hardest part of my job is when i am not able to get immediate response to further provide care for my patients
Pros
magnet hospital
Cons
Great benefts and pay, not so great management and work/life balance
Special Procedures Technologist (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXNovember 28, 2016
The benefits and pay are great, but the work/life balance is terrible. Also management is awful and everything done there through them is based on politics and who they like and don't like. They make your life and job difficult if you're not favored by leadership. HR is not to be trusted either nor half the people that work in the radiology department. Typical day is usually always busy with the occasional slow day, hardest part is dealing with management and their expectations. Most enjoyable part is the some of the people that you get to work with and having a starbucks on site.
benefits
Cons
Management Style, job culture
Productive, rewarding environment. Good co-workers.
Medical Transcriptionist/administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Pathology departmentDecember 3, 2016
I would arrive at work at 8:30 and immediately do send outs for the daily courier to take to another hospital. I would answer phones for the pathologists and do clerical work as well as some transcription when the full time transcriptionist was not available or needed help. My co-workers were very supportive and helpful. It felt like we were a family, including management. The hardest part of the job was learning all the different things I had to do and adapting to the changes in policy that would occasionally happen.
Pros
Steady, reliable work. Co-workers and management.
Cons
Having a 40-hour work week and no time for doctor's appointments, etc.
The company was full of excitement
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2016
Over the years at Houston Methodist I enjoyed the people that I had a pleasure of working with on a day to day basis. We worked as a "TEAM" to get the job done day in and out. Management stayed on top of us to make sure that our job was being done in the best and most safe way possible. The hardest part of my job was leaving. I had no real complaints because I worked with people who knew what there job was and did it as such. If ever a problem we could all talk to each other fix the issue and continue with our daily work with no problems. The most enjoyable part of my job was that we communicated very well with each other and made everyday a fun day.
Productive fast pace
Clinical Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2016
Very different get to know different people.like doctors nurses physical therapists people.Getting to know what they jobs duties are overall great place to work for love the bonus we get every 3 months love the environment friendly people,patients meeting patients family member overall love working for Houston Methodist
Pros
Pay half price for lunch
Cons
Every department get every other weekend we work 2 off 1
Great place to work.
Case Manager ll (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 19, 2016
Enjoy working with team. Assignments to medical or surgical units.
Management available for support and assistance, always positive.
Co-workers a joy to be with.
Hardest part of job would be coordinating multiple physician groups to accomplish best outcomes for patients.
Working with teams on units, nurses, respiratory therapists, social workers, physical and occupational therapy
Pros
Bus passes to assist in travel in to downtown from community. Ability to use badge for meals.
Cons
Very productive place to work in
Phlebotomist Technician (Current Employee) –  HOUSTON TXSeptember 30, 2016
A normal day for me is coming in opening up the lab so my patients, can feel welcome when they walk in. I've learned how to manage and run a lab and consult with the patients that come in for laboratory work.My coworker, and I have the best relationship, and can always work together no matter what the day may be like.
Not being busy enough we can only do so much as employees here.
Really would like to work in an more busy environment.The most enjoyable part about my job, is seeing my patients, and when they walk out with a smile on they face.
Pros
Being able to run the lab without being supervised.
Cons
Not busy enough
Quality department run by a racist and unfair director
Infection Control Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Houston Methodist Willowbrook HospitalOctober 12, 2016
Had a horrible experience of working under an extremely immoral, in competent director who is extremely racist, running the Quality department. The colleagues are extremely selfish and disrespectful. No chances to grow at all. HR is equally very weak and does nothing when you are seeking any help.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Horrible, incompetent and racist management.
Typical Day
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 21, 2016
• Keeps all buildings and premises, including sidewalks, driveways, and play areas neat and clean at all times.
• Shovels, plows, and maintains steps, walks, drives, and parking areas as needed. Participates in the maintenance of the facility to ensure it is clean at all times.
• Performs minor building repairs.
• Report needed major repairs.
• Keeps all floors in a clean and attractive condition.
• Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment on hand, and requisitions needed replacements.
• Knows and follows all safety rules and proper procedures associated with the responsibilities of the job.
Very Educational working with several Blood Bank Specialist
Transfusion Service Technologist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 22, 2016
Worked in Houston Methodist as a 2nd shift Medical Technologist.

Duties included Bench Tech, working with Blood Bank testing of Patient samples.

Issuing out Blood Component Products

Ordering and maintaining the appropriate levels of Blood Components

Assisted in the Cryogenics department
Pros
Always someone to help
Cons
Parking
ok place to start your career, not a good place to invest your future
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXSeptember 3, 2016
This place is unprofessional and very unorganized. Management is horrible and there is a lot of favoritism! The surgery techs have no respect for the instruments, they do not count them. a lot of instruments were missing and you will be blamed because they are not using the tracking system so everything tracks back to the sterile processing dept. At any other hospital if anything is missing they have to go as far as to digging in the trash to find the missing instrument as it might be in the patient!!! you are mostly doing central supply work not sterile processing. If you decide to start here good luck...no growth!
Pros
ok pay
Cons
no growth
Productive good learning experience with transplant
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2016
Fast paced environment very grateful appreciative pts. Great benefits as far as medical dental vision. Management is bad a lot of favoritism. No work family balance which why there is a big turn around. No compassion or sincerity from management.
Pros
Free lunches, a lot of transplant events during working hours
Cons
Micro managers, keep up with how many breaks you take, and walk around telling employees not to socialize.
Fast pace and high ethical standards
Unit Secretary/Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2016
I am the face of the unit, which is why I take pride in my appearance and integrity. I enjoy working and communicating with people. I am constantly answering a call bell and multi-lines phone system, greeting guest, providing excellent customer service, accessing and requesting patient records, operating multiple computer software, typing, faxing, filing, and assisting a team of hospital staff with respect and compassion.
Pros
Inservices and special activities
Cons
uncompassionate and disrespectful co-workers
Team work, productive, and an opportunity for growth
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 13, 2016
Working at Methodist is a great experience because we are one big family. Nobody is left out of the loop about anything. If you fall behind, there's someone who's always willing to help out. The nurses truly appreciate the techs for what it is that we do which make the job even better. There are opportunities to grow with the company.
Productive environment
Unit Secretary - Diabetes and Metabolism (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 22, 2016
It was a great opportunity and learning experience, overall it is a great company to work for but management in my dept. would waste alot of time walking around but not really doing too much. The politics of the company made things unfair for hard working people, but I guess it is what it is. Welcome to corporate America!
Great Hospital with lots of potential to grow but Management is a failure.
RN Staff (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2016
I worked in this hospital for a couple years. The management do not follow the hospital philosophy and seems aloof. They do not value the employees. All they care about is putting up shows to impress patients. The senior management staff do not border to come and meet with new employees during orientation; Instead they show pre recorded videos. The orientation team make you feel inferior and also tell you that you should feel lucky to be accepted to work at Houston Methodist.
I experienced lots of disrespect from managers and systemic racism. Majority of Day staff are white and majority of Night staff are minority.
Absolute no support for night shift and weekend staff.
Pros
Lots of opportunity to grow professionally
Cons
Bad management style and culture. All top managers and directors should be replaced.
Some of the manager do not treat employees with diabetics fairly.
Clinical Nutrition II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 11, 2016
After speaking with another manager that is over all Dietietian she agreed with me I needed something to eat after working a 5 1/2 straight so I would not become lite headed. My manager wrote me up for just eating a small piece of a banana and having a pepermit in my month.
Firing me because I became close to one of the patient that had diabetic also.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Methodist. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2